American Journal Experts Reviews

Reset
3.3
American Journal Experts CEO Shashi Mudunuri
Shashi Mudunuri

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and you can work from home (in 9 reviews)

• The managing editors are very helpful and will answer your email quickly if you have a question about an assignment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • What do I mean when I say some of the managing editors are "overzealous (in 8 reviews)

• I think that many people will never reach this point and will find themselves making less than minimum wage (in 4 reviews)

1. Great company!

Current Employee - Translator in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Translator in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at American Journal Experts (Less than a year)

Pros

AJE is comprised of great people who are quick to respond and always help you do your job better.

Cons

Pay scale was a bit lower than the industry average, but AJE has since taken strides to better compensate their translators.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Academic Editor
    Former Employee - Academic Editor

I worked at American Journal Experts (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work can be interesting at times. The editors are providing an important service for scientists who may not otherwise be able to publish their work.

Cons

Low pay and heavy work loads make this company pretty miserable to work for. As a full time editor, it is very difficult to meet weekly targets without working most nights and weekends. The company touts itself as a "family friendly" workplace, but my spouse and children would disagree. The company suggests that working from home provides flexibility, but I did not find this to be the case, as I frequently worked 12-hour days in order to meet my targets. Quality standards are extremely high, which is great for the customers, but this creates a lot of pressure for editors who are burned out and battling fatigue due to the heavy work loads and the cognitively demanding nature of the work. Managers talk a lot about how editors can "optimize their productivity", but there is no discussion of how work load management could be improved. The result is that employees feel like it is their fault, not the company's, if they are struggling with the work load. Management is unstable and constantly changing. Turnover is high in all positions. Despite the cheerful veneer, no one I know is actually happy here. I was with this company through a lot of transitions. As the company has grown, some things have improved, but the bottom line is that until they pay people better and address the work load, editors will continue to be unhappy and eventually burn out.

Advice to Management

Pay people a wage that commensurate with their education and experience. Recognize the cognitively demanding nature of the work and reduce workloads to prevent burn out.

3. Editor

Former Employee - Editor

Pros

Flexible work options, all telecommuting

Cons

Inconsistent flow of assignments, some papers very difficult to edit

Pay works out to pennies per hour

Former Employee - Editor

Pros

-flexible work schedule and location

Cons

Papers consistently take much longer to edit than estimated. I imagine you would get faster if you edited a lot of papers regularly, but for grad students or post-docs looking to make a little extra money--editing a couple of papers/week is not going to improve your speed that much. My pay routinely worked out to <$10/hr. Remember also that since this is contract work, you're obliged to pay the payroll tax that a non-contract employer would usually pick up. If you aren't planning to make a career out of editing, you'd do much better picking up some part-time tutoring or even babysitting work. Comments from managing editors were often contradictory. i.e., I would do something that one ME deemed editing the actual content (rather than grammar), but then if I held back on my next assignment, a different ME would come in and make basically the same kind of edit.

Advice to Management

Better pay for contract editors is needed. Or at the least, a more realistic estimate of the time required to edit, so we can go into this with our eyes open.

6. Great company!

Former Employee - Software Developer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Durham, NC

I worked at American Journal Experts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AJE/Research Square has an excellent culture and great people. The work-life balance is great - there is no negative judgement for having children and valuing your family. I was not micromanaged at all while working here. The work environment is laid back and collegial. Most of the employees either have a graduate degree or are working on one, so it's nice to be surrounded by so many highly intelligent people. The mission statement is excellent and this is a for-benefit company, which makes working every day seem all that much more fulfilling. The benefits are great, too - unlimited PTO, healthcare, 401k, and more. Another great thing is the startup company feel you get when working here. There is a very innovative vibe and everyone seems very open to change and continuous improvement.

Cons

There is some room for career growth, although it's somewhat limited since this is a relatively small company. Plenty of leadership training opportunities are offered, and the company is growing so I'm sure more growth opportunities will be available as time passes. The salaries are not especially competitive, although this is something the company is working to improve. This is truly a great company and I don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Takes advantage of grad students and postdocs

Former Employee - Contract Editor/Scientific Content Reviewer
    Former Employee - Contract Editor/Scientific Content Reviewer

I worked at American Journal Experts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and workload. Ability to work remotely. Managing editors were pleasant despite high turnover.

Cons

Very low pay for grueling work. Papers were most often written by non-English speakers with a poor grasp of the language and require significant work to get into any publishable format. However, the assignments are for a flat fee and do not reflect the amount of time investment required. I got faster at the edits over time but never as fast as they expected for the per hour rate they quoted. My work was usually considered excellent, and I did care about quality.

Advice to Management

Eventually you'll have to pay your editors a decent rate or your reputation in academia will suffer greatly. Remember that your employees now will one day be PIs and scientists and will remember their impressions of you.

Work from home, but can come out to less than minimum wage

Pros

I like editing and wanted something that I could go at home on my laptop, so this was great for that

Cons

It's extremely strict about what you must and what you cannot do. A lot of time it spent reading tons of documentation, the papers are written so poorly you often have to guess what they might mean to begin to try to edit, and the time I invested in papers was compensated fairly low. I live in New York where minimum wage is $8/hour. I realized that I made less than that. On top of that, you are sent lengthy notes/evaluation after each assignment that you also need to read, which is more time you are investing for low pay.

Low pay, long hours, barely any vacation

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Managing Editor in Durham, NC

I have been working at American Journal Experts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, extremely flexible schedule, lots of possibilities, interesting business model

Cons

Have to work at least one weekend day, amount of work is not calculated accurately and Managing Editors work way more than 40h/wk many weeks. The pay is poor and there are only 5 vacation days. 5!!

Advice to Management

Pay better, give more vacation, encourage home life balance by giving people the opportunity to have weekends off for family time.

10. Flexible contract work

Pros

Flexible schedule and you can work from home. Hones your editing skills and allows you to read current research.

Cons

Low pay, especially if you're interested in doing this work full time. You have to work remarkably long hours to make any sort of money, so this job isn't ideal if you have significant bills to pay. Edits can also be very time-consuming since some manuscripts are significantly worse when they are assigned to you. This can be frustrating when you receive a lower spot-check score (6 or 7) from the managing editors, since the score doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of time/effort you put into the assignment.

11. Awesome place to work

I have been working at American Journal Experts full-time

Pros

The people here are amazing. I love coming to work every day.

Cons

It's a 24/7 company, so you have to protect yourself from burnout.

RSS Feed </> Embed