American Journal Experts

American Journal Experts Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

It's worth sticking it out

Senior Editor (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAs a contractor, you can work anywhere you want, any time you want. If you want to live overseas, live overseas. As long as you have a stable internet connection, you're good to go. If you want to travel the world and work a job that pays the bills, AJE is the place.
     All the company cares about is whether you do a good job -- which means that you don't have to play "corporate politics" and you don't have to worry about the type of nonsense that comes along with a corporate job.
    Of course, you have to be a good, fast editor to progress. Once you get into more than one editing group, you could easily make 70K per year (I do). Make sure that you look at the final edited version of the manuscripts to see what sorts of revisions get made to your work. Also, get really familiar with their editing guide because it contains all you need to know to be a good editor at AJE.

ConsWhen you first start working for AJE, the work and pay will suck. However, if you stick it out and are able to join more than one editing group, then the amount of money you make is up to you because the work is there.

The pay isn't as good as it probably should be, and I think the company takes advantage of its junior editors, knowing that there's going to be a lot of turnover. The company makes a lot of money off of its junior editors.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay across the board. Give junior editors more training in how to be efficient editors.

Contract editor

Editor (Former Employee)

Proswork from home, make own schedule, flexibility

Conspay is not great, managers not consistent

Advice to Senior Managementincrease consistency across managing editors

Contract Editor

Contract Editor (Remote/From-Home) (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsSuper flexible; a great way to supplement income or generate income while job-seeking; keep your feet wet and stay apprised of trends and techniques in wider subject areas.

ConsIt is frustrating not to be able to work as much as desired; papers are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis, so there is a 15-20 second window to claim an assignment before it's taken. If you are not literally sitting in front of your email, it can be tough to get very many of them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have edited for them for 6 months

Contract Editor (Remote/From-Home) (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsExcellent resource for grammar and their editing style. Good advice from some of the managing editors. Some of the manuscripts are of high quality and interesting. Great flexibility in terms of work hours

ConsPay is extremely low for the level of editing that they require. Managing editor reviews are inconsistent. Some managing editors appear unfamiliar with the fields of the manuscripts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay scale relative to the numbers of hours required to edit the manuscript.

Low pay, long hours, barely any vacation

Managing Editor (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat people, extremely flexible schedule, lots of possibilities, interesting business model

ConsHave to work at least one weekend day, amount of work is not calculated accurately and Managing Editors work way more than 40h/wk many weeks. The pay is poor and there are only 5 vacation days. 5!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better, give more vacation, encourage home life balance by giving people the opportunity to have weekends off for family time.

Awesome Place to be a Contractor

Contract Editor (Remote/From-Home) (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsDictate your own availability; Great resources ("Editing Guide" and Intranet); Responsive and helpful managing editors; Ability to be hired in

ConsCannot scan/review an assignment before accepting; Method of setting availability not the most efficient; Method of getting feedback poor (not intuitive, clear, or frequent enough)

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to see assignment feedback and give contractors specific feedback more often!

Awesome place to work

ProsThe people here are amazing. I love coming to work every day.

ConsIt's a 24/7 company, so you have to protect yourself from burnout.

Flexible contract work

ProsFlexible schedule and you can work from home. Hones your editing skills and allows you to read current research.

ConsLow pay, especially if you're interested in doing this work full time. You have to work remarkably long hours to make any sort of money, so this job isn't ideal if you have significant bills to pay. Edits can also be very time-consuming since some manuscripts are significantly worse when they are assigned to you. This can be frustrating when you receive a lower spot-check score (6 or 7) from the managing editors, since the score doesn't necessarily reflect the amount of time/effort you put into the assignment.

Bad Upper Management & Business Model

Managing Translator, Turkish (Former Employee) Bethesda, MD

Pros-Possibility of working from home
    -Respect for culture
    -Generally helpful employees
    -Good experience and learning about working in a financially driven company environment
    -Great way to broaden knowledge of currently conducted research across the globe and learning new subjects

Cons-Lack of appropriate training
    -Excessively demanding work hours
    -Upper management changes their mind and shuffles team leaders around frequently, leaving the teams unable to cope with the change
    -Preferential treatment to local employees who can work from office

Advice to Senior Management-Provide better training to your new employees
    -Make sure employees will not be overworked by allocating definitive weekend days off
    -Consider the project dates for customer requests submitted over the weekend to start as of the first working day of the week
    -In order to guarantee the high quality work you promise your customers, have longer turnaround times for the projects of larger sizes

The pay is ABYSMAL

Editor (Current Employee)

ProsThe only reason to consider working here is if you need a great deal of flexibility in your work schedule, and you have a spouse or partner who can pay all of the bills.

ConsThe pay is abysmal. It is abusive. There is little to no transparency in their editorial standards, which seem to change constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry paying your contract editors enough that they are at least making minimum wage. What a concept.

Worked for American Journal Experts? Contribute to the Community!