American Kiosk Management Reviews

American Kiosk Management CEO/COO Linda Johansen-James
Linda Johansen-James

1. Overall Good Company

I have been working at American Kiosk Management

Pros

Great culture and values as well as work/life balance.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are sub-par

2. Perfect job if you want to be underpaid, and disrespected by all those higher than you.

Former Employee - Team Member in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Nashua, NH

I worked at American Kiosk Management

Pros

Not physically demanding
    Formed strong bond with fellow kiosk employees

Cons

Corporate is a nightmare
    No consistency within company
    Treat kiosk workers like robots and as if we don't matter

Corporate needs to be taught how to run a business. The people they hire don't stay long because of the way corporate treats their employees. During my 30 months employed with the company we had 6 different Divisional Directors, that in itself is a huge red flag for anbody seeking employment with AKM. If it wasn't for my kiosk manager who took all the responsibilities on himself to make sure his team was relaxed and capable of giving customers excellent service, I would not have lasted twice as long as I did.

Awful "mom and pop" company who wishes to hire robots instead of people.

Former Employee - Divisional Director
    Former Employee - Divisional Director

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility
    Work from home
    Travel experience
    Multi store management experience

Cons

No respect for work life balance
    Unprofessional
    Unorganized
    Underpaid employees
    Disprespectful leadership team
    No room for professional growth

Live by the "credo" and "ethics" you claim are so important to you. Stop scheduling meetings/travel last minute. Incorporate structure into your business practices. The level of unprofessionalism is disgusting. Pay your employees their worth, versus treating like flunkies and slaves. Learn how to speak to your employees in a respectful and professional manner. Respect and appreciate your employees (or you will continue to experience high turnover). Hire an experienced VP with experience that's not an idiot and can actually read and maintain/grow a business structure. Find a COO that will not cause your company to continually lose business and cause your company to go under due to bad business practices. Be realistic and realize you don't want to hire a person with a life outside of AKM, you want a robot. The desired employee for this position should work 24 hours a day answer the phone/emails 7 days a week (even though you're paid for 40 hours/no bonus).

What they say and what they actually do are two very different things

Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time

Pros

- Signs all over the office promoting integrity and honesty
    - AKMU - An education program they created to help employees grow and learn
    - Established company that has been around for many years
    - They love to tell prospective employees that work/life balance is important
    - You get a paycheck. Perfect for someone who needs income.
    - Employees are given a ton of responsibilities.
    - Company promotes Strength Based Leadership approach
    - You get a good brand name, Proactiv, on your resume

Cons

- Honest people don't need to constantly tell people that they are honest. Just keep that in mind when interviewing with them and get everything promised to you, that is important to you, in writing in your offer letter.
    - AKMU is written by minimum wage temporary workers who simply read self help type books, create PPT decks and a Q&A test. These are definitely not qualified people to create an educational program. Company time and money would be much better spent focusing on improving the declining business.
    - Company is stuck in a rut in their business model, technology and how they run the business. Change is just too difficult for them. A retail company that doesn't stay current with retail shopping trends and technology will not be around for long. This company is a dinosaur.
    - Corporate environment is old school and strange. Very strange.
    - There is no work/life balance...there is only work. Every salaried employee is expected to work constantly: nights, weekends and holidays. Hourly employees are not allowed even a minute in overtime without getting reprimanded.Taking sick days, vacation, etc is a problem for anyone who is not an executive.
    - All positions are embarrassingly underpaid compared to market value. Any other company will pay more. Confirmed by Glassdoor and Salary.com. Don't count on raises. They are minimal if ever given. Promotions are rare.
    - Not for someone looking for a career. Not a good place for Type A personalities or anyone looking to make positive contributions to improve operational processes.
    - Most departments are understaffed resulting in everyone wearing hats outside of their job description and department. This is not Strength Based Leadership. They don't practice what they preach regarding this management style. There is no I.T. dept to support the company.
    - Company has a bad reputation in Las Vegas. Ask around before deciding to accept a position here. If I had done that I definitely would have passed on the job and saved myself a lot of grief.
    - Proactiv is their only product, only client.

There is no point in offering any advice here. They don't listen to employees when they work there. They certainly won't listen to former employees. The executive team believes they know best and are the smartest people in the room.

Do you like to travel and work 70+ hours?

Former Employee - Divisional Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Divisional Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own schedule.
    Store leaders and Team members are hardworking.

Cons

Disorganized, no support from executive team, no life balance

7. So-so

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product to sell
    Great co-workers

Cons

When first employed by this company i fell in love with how the company valued their employees by contests and yearly bonuses and raises. As time went the value cooperate showed their employees decreased. Store managers have to much responsibility with not enough pay and have little help from cooperate. Its hard to keep staff at the store. Because of this Store Managers are forced to work hours that affect them having a life with once again low pay.

Value your Store Managers. They are the ones holding your company together.

I hated it

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at American Kiosk Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay was good customers were loyal

Cons

Hours were horrible District hardly contacted you unless you were doing bad

I find the company has very strict policy, that noone seems to follow. It's a great 1st job, no room for advancement.

Current Employee - Team Member in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Member in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Kiosk Management part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Up sell job
    no pithing required

Cons

Little pay
    Alot of product knowledge

More organized

10. Great Company

Former Employee - Team Member in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Team Member in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at American Kiosk Management part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great retail job. Some of the pros: work independently, great coworkers, products are easy to sell, wonderful support staff at corporate office. If you ever have a payroll or HR question they will respond in a heartbeat. Also, 50% discount on Proactiv, Sheer Cover, and WEN.

Cons

Long periods of boredom when mall is slow. If u have alota lot of slow days this will effect your paycheck so try to work some weekend shifts. IT department is slowly improving.

AKM

Current Employee - Desktop Support in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Desktop Support in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American Kiosk Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to start a career with

Cons

Managed with a one size fits all ideology and at the time the IT department was ran like a complete joke

Please don't make people read those motivational books and then forcefully talk about them in the weekly management meetings in which people are only there to pat themselves on the back. That being said I'm grateful to your complete disregard of management as I was able to work hard for one year and gain great resume experience with a company like proactive solutions. Lord knows I wouldn't put down AKM.