American Laser Skincare

American Laser Skincare Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

American Laser Skincare Chief Executive Officer John Harlow

John Harlow

Pros
  • Free treatments, good clients, decent pay right out of school(in 9 reviews)

• Health Insurance, good pay for techs(not commission only)(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • this company has no respect for work/life balance and you will be working upwards of 70 hours a week 7 days a week(in 7 reviews)

• As a clinic manager you will work 55 to 60 hours a week and be very stressed out(in 7 reviews)

good learning experience

ProsFree treatments, good clients, decent pay right out of school. Commission is a joke though. So negotiate a higher hourly rate if possible.

You can learn a lot about what you want and don't want out of your job by working for this company. Most co-workers are awesome but then there are some so toxic you have no idea how they were hired and would rather be unemployed than go to work and have to be around them.

Good part time flexibility at most clinics. Scheduling depends on the clinic manager and how booked appointments are.

ConsDo not expect raises. The training program used to be good. Now you are lucky to get more than a few hours with the nurse trainer before you are considered fully trained on multiple machines and products, which has resulted in numerous burns and adverses to clients. Upper management only cares about sales. Not the clients, not the workers. Clinic managers are salaried but are expected to be in the clinic 45 hrs a week but usually end up there close to 60hrs+, on top of hours in the clinic outside marketing is required and they are always on call to answer emails, texts and calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote competent and long term employees and pay them fairly. Promoting regional managers who scare everyone who comes in contact with them in never a good idea and neither is promoting regional managers who do not understand the importance of retaining good employees. Also, anyone that 'meows', yes I said meows at people should not be in a management position.

Great Co-workers and Clientele

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent Start pay, good training, busy, can work 4 ten hour shifts.

ConsSales Pressure, cold calling, competitive.

Not a good co. To work for

LASER TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsManage yourself...manager does not guide you

ConsCo. Do not care about employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to frontline

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Clinic Manager

Clinic Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAbsolutely zero pros other than free treatments, which are often done incorrectly, or are not effective.

ConsRegional manager is rude, and lies. Hours are between 40-65. Pressure to sale is more important than customer satisfaction. No work life balance. Favoritism is ridiculous, and Reigonal supports any means necessary to make that money. Protocols are not followed. Customers are mislead.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should evaluate the reasons for such high turnover rates. It's a revolving door.

Incomprehensible Corporate Dysfunction

Clinic Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe only positive you will find is that their payroll checks don’t bounce. If your career/job goals are so low that your only requirement is to get paid for the hours you work, then you should be okay, at least for the near-term. Keep in mind, if you can’t pressure-sell and hound your current clients to the point of harassment, then you won’t be kept long enough to collect many of those paychecks. Ultimately, if this job will prevent you from being homeless, then you should probably take it. But be warned: don’t stop looking for your next job.

ConsI too read all of these awful reviews of the company and naively dismissed them (huge mistake) thinking my success at all of my previous jobs would prove that I can achieve more than the person I replaced, that I could sift through the dysfunction and shine like I always have. Well, I was wrong. Your location like most will be a very small staff with virtually no corporate support for leads or new business. In other words, you’re on your own. And by “on your own”, I mean you, as Clinic Manager, you will have to answer the phone (you are also the receptionist), schedule/reschedule patient appointments, manage your small staff, read literally hundreds of pointless emails per day, open and close the office, reconcile the daily numbers and then in those magical four to six hours per day that don’t exist, go door knocking to area businesses to try to siphon off a few of their clients all the while your direct competitors are filling up the airways and internet with advertising and taking up the lion’s share of the viable new clients. That's just a sneak peek into your first day, but guess what, if sounded okay, then ask yourself can you do it six days a week? Can you put up with insanity for 50 hours per week? How about 60? Guess what, it’s the end of the month and you’re below your arbitrary profit goal (artificially inflated) so you need to come in on Sunday too. It’s dysfunction like I’ve never seen and likely will never see again. It’s toxic! Lastly, most of the clinics are run down and there’s no money to fix them, obviously, since they can’t even advertise. Best of luck, hopefully you have other options to consider. If you don’t, my advice is to keep looking because it’s hard to look for another job and interview when you’re working 60 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementThreats and bullying combined with overworking your employees won't get you anywhere, long-term.

This place has tons of Potential

ProsGood working environment. New product lines and technologies, some great people to work with and average benefits. Most people are a pleasure to work with. Some are to be avoided. While many people have been with the company for a long time.

ConsDue to the economy and changes in the industry the company has gone through a lot of change. For the most part the change has been good for the overall health of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the strengths and weaknesses of the company and focus on that to improve the company. Look at the background and education of the employees to see what they have to offer for the company. Stay within the realm of our expertise.

Great co-workers, it was very personable. I worked for a privately owned alc. 3 employees total.

Assistant Manager/Esthetician (Former Employee) Towson, MD

ProsRelaxed setting, decent pay, long hours if you need them, & a bonus incentive which works great if your in a busy city. Hourly & commission with a benefits pckg available.

ConsLong hours can lead to being overworked with no life. Marketing has to be done on a weekend out of every month & it's not the best method as they want you set up in the middle of the mall so you turn into one of those annoying people grasping for everyone's attention.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake suggestions from the employees who deal with the ins & outs on a regular basis.

Clinic Manager

Clinic Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing lasers and a wide range of different services

ConsVERY long hours. Work more then 55 hours per week and they still think that you don't work enough. So money focused that they don't hire the appropriate amount of staff needed. They are also so sales focus that they do not care what emergence comes up, only what are you doing to do to make money and what days and time are you going to make up to do so. Although they are very encouraging on emails for sales; they do pressure you so much that a lot of managers myself including are always looking for another job incase they fire us. They do have a VERY high turn over. Pay is also very low for what they have employees do. managers range fore $45,000 and up but would end up making SO MUCH MORE if they worked hourly due to the company over working them. Technicians only really make about $14 per hour -$17 per hour ( if they are lucky)

All they care about is selling, not patient satisfaction

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsDecent pay
    Free laser services
    Nice coworkers

ConsAll this company wants you to do is sell more. More products, more procedures. They do not care if the patients aren't happy with their current service, they just try to talk them into buying more. Patients pay a lot of money for their procedures, and they are frustrated when they don't work. There is nothing you can do to help them because their procedures don't work! Turnover is high, I went through 3 managers in a year. The first manager was stealing money from patients.

Stepping Stone not a Career

ProsWell versed on many services, learned a lot about the selling culture mostly how not to act like upper management when creating relationships with clientele.

ConsNo work life balance or 401K. Expected to work well over the ideal salaried hours. Must wear many hats, marketing, consultant, office manager ect. I'm a veteran employee has seen a lot of turn over as a result of poor upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow your own protocol. Remove catty upper management.

Worked for American Laser Skincare? Contribute to the Community!