American Laser Skincare

Updated August 6, 2014
2.6

American Laser Skincare Chief Executive Officer John Harlow
John Harlow

Pros
  • Free treatments, good clients, decent pay right out of school (in 11 reviews)

• Health Insurance, good pay for techs(not commission only) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • this company has no respect for work/life balance and you will be working upwards of 70 hours a week 7 days a week (in 7 reviews)

• As a clinic manager you will work 55 to 60 hours a week and be very stressed out (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job for a while. Not long-term unless you're lucky.

Current Employee - Esthetician
    Current Employee - Esthetician

I have been working at American Laser Skincare part-time

Pros

Education is good at beginning, pay is good for the area, services and products offered are something you can get behind.

Cons

major pressure to sell sell sell. high turnover

Eat, sleep, poop ALS!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at American Laser Skincare

Pros

The only reason I give them two stars is because you get discounted products and free treatments ( when you're not slaving for them)

Cons

Where do I even begin?? Let's start with the fact that the company is obsessed with micro managing! So you miss a couple of phone calls because you're in a consultation. No biggie right? Wrong! corporate harasses you with multiple emails asking you to contact the client immediately. Umm isn't that why we utilize the voicemail system?! Another reason NOT to work for the company is because of how biased they are. Now being the assistant manager and having to mirror the duties of the clinic manager you would think that there will be days where over time may be necessary. NOPE. Only upper management gets to rack up OT. God forbid the techs or assistants get 2 min of OT. Have you ever been forced to harass someone? Well get ready because this job entails tons of cold calling. Not only that but you have to physically walk out on the streets and solicit the company's services to random people in random places. The worst part is... This is corporate company with their very own marketing department yet they still make you slave! You can kiss whatever life you are now living goodbye and be one with their cult. You will forever eat sleep and breathe ALS!

More like advise to CEO.. it's very appalling to send out a picture of yourself to the entire company drinking wine on the last day of the month while all the underdogs hustle until 9pm.

Run the other way and do not look back!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Esthetician
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Esthetician

I worked at American Laser Skincare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was decent for being right out of school. The coworkers were great and you were able to get a free treatment every now and again and the clients were wonderful.

Cons

Saying there is sales pressure is an understatement. Even though corporate spends money to advertise and uses their own call center, they still expect you to do quite a bit of cold calling during what free time, I don't know, because you are only scheduled when there are appointments booked, then you are immediately sent home. Don't think that getting hired as full time will mean you will work full time. I had no set schedule, had to call the clinic manager every single day to see if I was supposed to come in or not, as she refused to give me a working schedule in advance. During my last couple of moths there, I only went into the office 4 times in two months!! Do not expect raises. Those never happen. Upper management only cares about sales. Period!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good learning experience

I have been working at American Laser Skincare part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free treatments, good clients, decent pay right out of school. Commission is a joke though. So negotiate a higher hourly rate if possible.

You can learn a lot about what you want and don't want out of your job by working for this company. Most co-workers are awesome but then there are some so toxic you have no idea how they were hired and would rather be unemployed than go to work and have to be around them.

Good part time flexibility at most clinics. Scheduling depends on the clinic manager and how booked appointments are.

Cons

Do not expect raises. The training program used to be good. Now you are lucky to get more than a few hours with the nurse trainer before you are considered fully trained on multiple machines and products, which has resulted in numerous burns and adverses to clients. Upper management only cares about sales. Not the clients, not the workers. Clinic managers are salaried but are expected to be in the clinic 45 hrs a week but usually end up there close to 60hrs+, on top of hours in the clinic outside marketing is required and they are always on call to answer emails, texts and calls.

Promote competent and long term employees and pay them fairly. Promoting regional managers who scare everyone who comes in contact with them in never a good idea and neither is promoting regional managers who do not understand the importance of retaining good employees. Also, anyone that 'meows', yes I said meows at people should not be in a management position.

Great Co-workers and Clientele

I worked at American Laser Skincare full-time

Pros

Decent Start pay, good training, busy, can work 4 ten hour shifts.

Cons

Sales Pressure, cold calling, competitive.

Not a good co. To work for

Former Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - LASER TECHNICIAN in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at American Laser Skincare part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Manage yourself...manager does not guide you

Cons

Co. Do not care about employees

Listen to frontline

RUN, RUN, RUN!

I worked at American Laser Skincare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The only good thing about working here are the health benefits and having a job at all and free treatments which you will never have time to receive.

Cons

EVERYTHING! Very high pressure sales, poor management, the regional manager talks to you like you are scum and don't bother talking to HR about it because they do nothing. You are expected to harass all your current clients and any future clients you may have. You are completely understaffed, as a clinic manager you are expected to do all things! You work 50 PLUS hours with absolutely no appreciation. There is no work life balance. Protocols for treatments are not followed and you are expected to lie to your clients to get and keep a sale. I can not described the level of stress and pressure you will feel when working for this company. You will never have time to receive the free treatments offered, however, after working this amount of hours you will want to get home as quickly as possible. If you don't mind working with receiving no respect, working 50 plus hours a week, 6 days a week, and being made to feel bad if you take a day off, not seeing your family except to kiss them good night, and having no other life except being a manager for als then this is the job for you. If this doesn't sound good, then keep looking for another job!

Respect your employees. Don't pressure your employees to be all things. Clinic managers should do just that, manage the clinic. Not be an accountant, marketer, technician, consultant and so on. And did I mention respect? ? The turn over is so high, maybe you should consider why that is

Clinic Manager

I worked at American Laser Skincare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Absolutely zero pros other than free treatments, which are often done incorrectly, or are not effective.

Cons

Regional manager is rude, and lies. Hours are between 40-65. Pressure to sale is more important than customer satisfaction. No work life balance. Favoritism is ridiculous, and Reigonal supports any means necessary to make that money. Protocols are not followed. Customers are mislead.

You should evaluate the reasons for such high turnover rates. It's a revolving door.

Incomprehensible Corporate Dysfunction

Current Employee - Clinic Manager
    Current Employee - Clinic Manager

I have been working at American Laser Skincare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only positive you will find is that their payroll checks don’t bounce. If your career/job goals are so low that your only requirement is to get paid for the hours you work, then you should be okay, at least for the near-term. Keep in mind, if you can’t pressure-sell and hound your current clients to the point of harassment, then you won’t be kept long enough to collect many of those paychecks. Ultimately, if this job will prevent you from being homeless, then you should probably take it. But be warned: don’t stop looking for your next job.

Cons

I too read all of these awful reviews of the company and naively dismissed them (huge mistake) thinking my success at all of my previous jobs would prove that I can achieve more than the person I replaced, that I could sift through the dysfunction and shine like I always have. Well, I was wrong. Your location like most will be a very small staff with virtually no corporate support for leads or new business. In other words, you’re on your own. And by “on your own”, I mean you, as Clinic Manager, you will have to answer the phone (you are also the receptionist), schedule/reschedule patient appointments, manage your small staff, read literally hundreds of pointless emails per day, open and close the office, reconcile the daily numbers and then in those magical four to six hours per day that don’t exist, go door knocking to area businesses to try to siphon off a few of their clients all the while your direct competitors are filling up the airways and internet with advertising and taking up the lion’s share of the viable new clients. That's just a sneak peek into your first day, but guess what, if sounded okay, then ask yourself can you do it six days a week? Can you put up with insanity for 50 hours per week? How about 60? Guess what, it’s the end of the month and you’re below your arbitrary profit goal (artificially inflated) so you need to come in on Sunday too. It’s dysfunction like I’ve never seen and likely will never see again. It’s toxic! Lastly, most of the clinics are run down and there’s no money to fix them, obviously, since they can’t even advertise. Best of luck, hopefully you have other options to consider. If you don’t, my advice is to keep looking because it’s hard to look for another job and interview when you’re working 60 hours a week.

Threats and bullying combined with overworking your employees won't get you anywhere, long-term.

This place has tons of Potential

I have been working at American Laser Skincare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good working environment. New product lines and technologies, some great people to work with and average benefits. Most people are a pleasure to work with. Some are to be avoided. While many people have been with the company for a long time.

Cons

Due to the economy and changes in the industry the company has gone through a lot of change. For the most part the change has been good for the overall health of the company.

Look at the strengths and weaknesses of the company and focus on that to improve the company. Look at the background and education of the employees to see what they have to offer for the company. Stay within the realm of our expertise.

Worked for American Laser Skincare? Contribute to the Community!