American Legislative Exchange Council

American Legislative Exchange Council Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Allen Smith

One of the Top Internships in D.C.

Intern (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at American Legislative Exchange Council part-time for less than a year

ProsAs an intern, you have the opportunity to write, research, work with state legislators and attend events on the Hill, at the National Press Club and other venues in D.C. Furthermore, the guest speaker lunches on Wednesdays are invaluable - I learned how to better my future from these speakers. You really are like 'one of the staff' because you have so many opportunities. Much of the work that legislative analysts do, you will be doing as well.
From this internship, I have become a better writer, a more-efficient researcher, a better communicator, a better networker and I have increased my network greatly as I have had the chance to meet many influential people.

ConsHad to do some printing and folder-stuffing, but only for a week or two.
Unpaid (although they do pay for lunch once per week and reimburse travel expenses).

Advice to Senior ManagementFor non-task force members: From an intern's perspective, it would be nice to interact more. I would have loved to get to know you and pick your brain for advice. Furthermore, I would have loved to know what you do on a day-to-day basis. You were all very friendly, but I didn't get to know any of you and I would have gotten more out of this internship if you had imparted some of your wisdom to me.

Great association with horrendous leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Legislative Exchange Council

Pros-The staff (coworkers) were fantastic. They were truly there to do good work and help you achieve your own goals.
-Location was fantastic (they've since moved to VA)
-You had the freedom to make your own schedule and do as you chose.

Cons-The leadership is non-existent and extremely unhelpful - except for the Policy Department.
-When attacked by those who didn't believe in ALEC's mission, there was no internal support set up and the lower level staff (ie. anyone not senior management) was the line that caught nearly all the negativity/pressure/work. It was extremely disorganized.
-The senior management, other than the Policy Department, did not properly support its staff or keep them updated on important developments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to listen to and work with your staff. Set up better internal and external response systems.

Solid Experience and Great People

Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at American Legislative Exchange Council

ProsThis is a great place to intern as you truly are given substantial work and room to grow. Also, they seem quite willing to move interns into permanent positions when able. Management is also very friendly and open.

ConsAs an intern, you aren't paid. So, that's a reason to intern elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing great!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad for an unpaid internship

Meetings (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Legislative Exchange Council

ProsI was an intern, and it is an unpaid position. Not uncommon for DC. But if you must take an unpaid internship, this is a good one. It has perks! They pay for your travel and lunches, and all sorts of training. The people you work with are nice, friendly. Its a small office so you'll work with everyone a bit.

ConsNot getting paid. They have enough corporate sponsors, you'd think someone would fork over for the interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are competent and intelligent. I have no complaints. If only I were conservative I would go work for you forever.

Worked for American Legislative Exchange Council? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Legislative Exchange Council reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Legislative Exchange Council CEO Allen Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by American Legislative Exchange Council employees.