American Management Association Reviews

Edward T. Reilly

1. Recent improvements in Information Technology

Current Employee - IT Staff Member
    Current Employee - IT Staff Member

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our current CIO has led several initiatives to improve AMA's IT infrastructure. There are many opportunities to gain experience with server and desktop virtualization (VMware and Citrix Xen Desktop) as well as several aspects of cloud computing. Employees are encouraged to take advantage of training opportunities with both AMA and our training partners.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement within the organization are limited, but because you'll be encouraged to learn about and use leading edge technology your additional experience and training will lead to professional growth and increase your market value.

Advice to Management

As with most organizations, senior management should always strive to improve communication throughout the team of employees, so everyone understands the decisions that are being made and the direction in which the company is moving.

2. Marketing

I have been working at American Management Association

Pros

lots of seminars to take

Cons

boring, no direction, outdated office

3. Stay for the experience, leave to make money

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Saranac Lake, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Saranac Lake, NY

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will get incredible sales experience and build a mindset that will help you grow as a sales professional if you can avoid the 10 or so people who make a habit of walking around spreading discontent. The managers are aware of this yet think these whiners are producers due to their time at this location. The real numbers prove otherwise.

Cons

The attitudes of a few sales people are toxic. This job is best served remotely where you are apart from the attitudes of victimization that cripple sales teams. Metrics are not indicative of your actual sales performance (i.e, you grow your territory in reality yet the metrics show you are behind.)

Advice to Management

Train and foster sales growth daily, remove the dead weight. In sales, there should be no tolerance for consistent negativity. There should be an emphasis on confidence and massive levels of action!

5. Just a Paycheck

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company gives monastery insensitive to the sales people. And the commission checks are consistent. -Employees are free to express themselves good or bad good. Lots of welcomed communication with upper level management. -A lot of down time although it gets boring.

Cons

- 90+ Year old company that does not have a business plan. - Lots of favoritism with the management and sales people. - The sales representative who have been with the company for 10+ years have complete control over upper management. - HIGH employee turnover. - Upper management does not clearly state there goals and objectives. It is up to the employee to listen for what is Not said. -cutthroat sales people who take credit for sales that are not their own.

6. n/a

I worked at American Management Association

Pros

comfortable environment, grate location, good life-work balance

Cons

no personal growth, no communication with high management

Very Stressful!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice coworkers. Have become friends with some. Good benefits. I like what some of the new senior managers are trying to do. I'm still there I guess.

Cons

A few people here would rather smile in your face and stab you in the back, instead of working together to fix the problem. I was told it's every person for themselves. By far most passive aggressive place I've ever seen. If job market was better, would leave in a heart beat. It will seem like the clients are very demanding at first. Until you realize, they've pretty much been told AMA will do ANYTHING at any hour for them. It's seen as a badge of pride, and pretty much encourages managers to abuse the lower level people that actually do the work. A few managers are very difficult to work with. They can do know wrong. A waste of time reporting them to HR. No raises in about 4-6 years for some. Other than, I'm glad I have a job, there's incentive to go the extra mile right now.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad managers!

8. Great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great people. Nice coworkers who become friends and really care about you. Great benefits. Nice 403b match. United Healthcare. etc. Great mission. Change people's lives. What I like especially is that we comp other non-profit employees into our programs. Great work/life ballance. Hard to find in Manhattan.

Cons

A bit slow to make decisions. Wish we were more nimble.

Advice to Management

Put a stake in the ground and tackle the "Future of Learning"

No Leadership + No Strategy = No Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Pretty standard 9-5 hours, not a lot of overtime required. Some good people. Good location in Times Square. Can take unlimited AMA seminars.

Cons

Total lack of senior leadership, strategy, vision. Lots of talk of innovation, taking initiative but no action to back it up. Critical thinking, independence, creativity are discouraged. Very old-fashioned attitudes. No raises in 6 years. No career growth.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent before its too late.

10. Great people, great benefits and great collaborative efforts with a common mission.

Current Employee - Professional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional in New York, NY

Pros

AMA provides an excellent service for society that is supported by a leading brand and brilliant colleagues. It's nice to know that your efforts make a meaningful difference in customers' careers and lives.

Cons

Like with most evolving businesses, some colleagues resist change and as a result find themselves embracing the past. This can lead to pockets of disgruntled individuals.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue to provide a workplace that encourages collaborative efforts and thought provoking work.

Handing on by a thread

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your peers are nice. The management govern by fear.

Cons

Back in the 1990's. Have to wear a tie. Management trusts consultants more than FTEs.

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century

RSS Feed </> Embed