American Management Association

Edward T. Reilly

Rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is inspiring to come to work everyday for a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping corporate employees and under-served populations become successful leaders. I also appreciate working with motivated and intelligent colleagues who share the values of serving others and lifelong learning. In addition, the benefits (medical, dental, vacation, work-life balance, access to training, etc.) are all superb. Finally, though some older reviews on GlassDoor cast a negative light, I feel there is new energy and a compelling strategic shift happening at the AMA.

Cons

While there is an entrepreneurial flair at AMA, this is not the place for you are looking for a chance at a large payoff from a startup. It is a place to build a stable career. The entrepreneurial environment also means that you are most likely to thrive if you bring ideas and the drive to make them come to life.

Expand the not-for-profit mission by devoting an even higher percentage of revenue to training the under-served as well as other not-for-profits that serve the under-served. Maintain the momentum on transforming the organization.

Very Stressful!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice coworkers. Have become friends with some.
    Good benefits.
    I like what some of the new senior managers are trying to do.
    I'm still there I guess.

Cons

A few people here would rather smile in your face and stab you in the back, instead of working together to fix the problem. I was told it's every person for themselves. By far most passive aggressive place I've ever seen. If job market was better, would leave in a heart beat.

It will seem like the clients are very demanding at first. Until you realize, they've pretty much been told AMA will do ANYTHING at any hour for them. It's seen as a badge of pride, and pretty much encourages managers to abuse the lower level people that actually do the work.

A few managers are very difficult to work with. They can do know wrong. A waste of time reporting them to HR.

No raises in about 4-6 years for some.

Other than, I'm glad I have a job, there's incentive to go the extra mile right now.

Get rid of the bad managers!

Great people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Nice coworkers who become friends and really care about you.
    Great benefits. Nice 403b match. United Healthcare. etc.
    Great mission. Change people's lives. What I like especially is that we comp other non-profit employees into our programs.
    Great work/life ballance. Hard to find in Manhattan.

Cons

A bit slow to make decisions. Wish we were more nimble.

Put a stake in the ground and tackle the "Future of Learning"

Great people, great benefits and great collaborative efforts with a common mission.

Current Employee - Professional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Professional in New York, NY

Pros

AMA provides an excellent service for society that is supported by a leading brand and brilliant colleagues. It's nice to know that your efforts make a meaningful difference in customers' careers and lives.

Cons

Like with most evolving businesses, some colleagues resist change and as a result find themselves embracing the past. This can lead to pockets of disgruntled individuals.

Stay the course and continue to provide a workplace that encourages collaborative efforts and thought provoking work.

No Leadership + No Strategy = No Future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Pretty standard 9-5 hours, not a lot of overtime required. Some good people. Good location in Times Square. Can take unlimited AMA seminars.

Cons

Total lack of senior leadership, strategy, vision. Lots of talk of innovation, taking initiative but no action to back it up. Critical thinking, independence, creativity are discouraged. Very old-fashioned attitudes. No raises in 6 years. No career growth.

Recognize talent before its too late.

Handing on by a thread

I have been working at American Management Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your peers are nice. The management govern by fear.

Cons

Back in the 1990's. Have to wear a tie. Management trusts consultants more than FTEs.

Join the 21st century

Depressing

I have been working at American Management Association

Pros

The Midtown location is pretty nice

Cons

Disorganized, stuck in the past, no communication, cubicle atmosphere

Communicate with your employees and act like you're a company working in 2014 not 1914.

Horrendous

I have been working at American Management Association full-time

Pros

There are no pros. It's a dead end.

Cons

Everyone is upset about being here.

Lead by example, senior management.

Fragmented

Former Employee - Faculty in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Faculty in New York, NY

I worked at American Management Association as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good exposure when selected to teach a course. Most courses are well structured, however they may need to be updated to meet current business needs.

Cons

Very difficult to get additional assignments. Very bureaucratic and it seems you can do a great job but you are not tapped to do more. Not enough involvement of the faculty in trying to secure new business.

Trust your faculty more and use their talents to build the business

A company living in it's past and with no future

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at American Management Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice people working there. if you know how to kiss up to the top, you can stay fora long time. good benefits over all. Mid town location is practical. Good place for yes men.

Cons

Management is out of touch with reality and sees themselves as much more than they are. The offices are old and drab as is the staff. in this day and age, you will be asked to wear a tie. the courses they offer are out of date and they are simply surviving on the inertia of a few giant corporate customers. The industry is moving forward rapidly while the AMA stands and watches. there are no opportunities for advancement.

Pay attention to who your customers really are and what they want. But i think it may be too late.