American Marketing and Publishing

Reset
2.5
American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Pros
  • The company sincerely cares about small business owners (in 25 reviews)

• I get to meet a lot of wonderful people, and at the same time, help small business owners grow their business (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You distinctly get the impression that you are bothering 99% of the business owners you visit and are wasting their time (in 17 reviews)

• A lot of wear and tear on vehicles (in 8 reviews)

1. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL

Pros

Great Co-Workers Great Managers Supportive Work Environment

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

sales representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

money is good if you are in a good territory, great support from corporate, advancement from within, leadership program, systems are good

Cons

not always close to home so can spend $100 a week on gas/tolls, law suits that you are not told about when you go into a town, inside sales over steps their bounds, management not transparent about negative aspects of products, will find out from a customer. Customers have asked to be put on a do not call list but ignored.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting individuals whose only qualification are their numbers. Some are just meant to sell not manage, shows lack of integrity. Honesty means more than money!!

3. Disappointed

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are in the top ten of all sales people you will make money at this company. This is an extreme challenge that most will never accomplish from a statistical standpoint. The daily morning confrence call was the only positive this company had to offer, and 90% of the calls were recognition from the day before. On those calls the advice from co-workers was all that I took away from this job.

Cons

They will fire you within 7 weeks of working here unless you manage to meet their goals. I would confidently say that this company has a 75% turnover rate every quarter, and it is a big deal if someone has been with the company 3 + years. They try so hard to sell you on AMP and the company, when really they should be improving their corporate structure.

Advice to Management

Hire people with actual management skills, that are able to influence and grow their employees to further sustain success. This company is acting in an extremely grey area, they have no solid statistics, and further manipulate the ones that they use to drum up excitement. Hard Data does not lie, and when you lie to your employees your hurting yourself!

Horrible! Stay Away from this Company!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing (Less than a year)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

First of all they will lie to you to get you to work for them. The turnover rate is very high. There were 28 people in my training class and I was the last one left after only 5 months. Most of the reps quit in the first 2 weeks. Here is why... First they tell you will on be 45 minuets from your home, my first area was over an hour. When you ask them about it they never give you a straight answer. I emailed them twice and they would never respond via email because they don't want it to come back to them to bite them. The gas $ they provide is a joke, the wear & tear on your car will cost you in the end. They put a GPS tracking devise on your phone. The also know when you listen to your work voice mails & when you read your work emails. They send you texts all day, leave you voice mails constantly & send you emails on the weekends with brain washing information. They do this because they know the job position is horrible and they want to try to keep you as long as they can suck you into their cult like company. You have to sell $10,000 a month before you start making commissions. That’s $120,000 you are not getting paid commissions on! It's a joke because the average print sale is around $300. They also deduct money from your paycheck if you don’t sell certain products they offer which are not that good anyway. Customers are dropping their print advertising at a fast rate because no one uses the phone book anymore. They have a script you have to memorize for every situation, you feel like a puppet. They teach you to get into a business talk fast and get out with a signature before the customer can change their mind. They even take in a phone book where a customer had advertised in it 2 years prior but not the current year and tell them here is your ad do you want to make any changes to it. They don't tell them that they do not have an ad in the current book, I have seen a veteran rep do this and they show you how it is done. They do anything to get a sale. It is very deceiving to the customer. They will keep you stuck in an area where you have to go back to the businesses 3 to 4 times and they get annoyed. As soon as you walk into a business & tell them you are from the HomePages the customers smile turns to a frown as they remember seeing 4-5 different reps visit them because they are constantly hiring new reps because the turn over is so high. The job is all about numbers, management don't care about you. They just want to make their bonus. They expect you to work 2 days a week until 7 pm knocking on home based businesses. You also don't get paid on holidays for the first 4 months because they know the probability of you being there that long will most likely will not happen. The job will suck the life right out of you. Do yourself a favor & stay away from this company!!

Advice to Management

be upfront and explain to reps more about the job

"If its right for you, its good, but if not, its terrible"

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intensive and comprehensive training and refresher courses for selling. Good benefits. District Managers and fellow employees are always there to motivate you over the phone if you need it.

Cons

You have to work out of your car. The compensation they give you for a cell phone and gas doesn't even come close to covering the costs you will accumulate driving around all day and if you do not have an unlimited data cell phone plan, their geotracking will knock your data allowance over the limit. The company is playing catch up with everything turning digital. No one uses the phone book or homepages directory anymore since the rise of the internet. Teach you to make the sale at all costs, taking small businesses hard earned money to buy ads that will very likely give any return on investment. You distinctly get the impression that you are bothering 99% of the business owners you visit and are wasting their time. Also huge rate of turnover in employees

Advice to Management

Ditch the phonebooks

Starts off great, but sours quickly once you realize it's all about the sales field and never about the office staff.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The non-management office positions are 9am-5pm, which gives time for evenings with family. We sometimes get to leave early before holidays, but that seems to be happening more and more rarely. The benefits are also fairly nice and our medical, dental, and vision are top notch. We do pay quite a bit for the benefits, but we could pay a lot more for much worse coverage. The coverage for medical, dental, and vision is some of the best I've seen in my entire time in the workforce.

Cons

The company is all about the sales field. Even we have meetings that are just the office staff, we still focus mainly on the sales field and the advances that they would have. We were even once told that if we have any friends who were bartenders, waitresses, or anyone who makes less that $30,000 a year, to give their information to the recruiters so that we could get them into the sales field. Most of the people in the office, even those that have been there for a number of years, make significantly less than that $30,000 per year. This just showed how out of touch our upper management was with the issues of the "common" employee. Hard work is not rewarded and advancement in the company is a dream that few reach. The "Employee of the Quarter" voting is a popularity contest and it seems like the management picks the winners, instead of the office personnel picking the winners (as is intended).

Advice to Management

Recognize the hard work of your office staff. Reward hard work and the people who have busted their butts to help your company excel. We in the office couldn't possibly care less about how awesome the sales field as it. We don't want to hear about how much they are making when we have to scrape to get by on what we make. Let some of the money that we are helping you to make trickle down to us. Without the Admin team figuring out what the chicken scratch on the contract is trying to say so they can enter it, and without the Production team figuring out how to build and proofread the ads, your company would go nowhere. Without the Customer Care team listening to screaming customers and the Accounting team making the hard calls to collect money, the company would be going nowhere. Reward the "other half" of your business. Take a look at comparable salaries in the area and payyour people accordingly. I make less than the bottom 10% of people in DeKalb who have my job title, and it shouldn't be that way for a company that wants to double in size in the next 18 months. Lastly, Abe needs to take a look around the office and be more involved with his office personnel. I think a lot of things are swept under the rug and Abe never gets to see how things truly are. I think if he knew that 90% of his office staff was miserable and would walk if given the chance for a better position, and the fact that a lot of the office personnel have resumes out on the internet, he might want to change things.

8. Fair earnings for fair work!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Acct Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Acct Manager in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the close-knit community feel of this company! Sales is difficult and I never thought I would be able to have a sales job, but this company is inspiring and motivating. They provide so many resources to help you succeed. They provide a week long training class to learn the products and the awesome script and formula to sell effectively. It's still scary when you first start off, but management wants you to succeed! Every morning the CEO leaves inspiring voicemails to give you tips in the field and and also tips on how to strategically discipline yourself to make more money and to set yourself up for success. Every morning we have a morning success call with successful reps and district managers giving tips and elaborating on how they handle certain situations. If you're having trouble and feel like you're failing, sales support is always there to help you and the managers will call you and give you awesome success stories and get you going again. The sales quotas aren't easy to reach, but definitely not unattainable. What's also nice are the company wide contests that can earn you some quick cash as well. You really are accountable with how much you put into your paycheck.

Cons

You're definitely going to be putting in a lot of effort, and it will have to be maintained in order to keep doing well. If you're able to self discipline, this job is perfect!

Advice to Management

Upper management is great! Keep being so supportive and motivating!

Good for entry-level office experience but not much more

Former Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Most co-workers were nice (there's a we're-all-in-this-together camaraderie...) -A lot of the work was pretty easy, if sometimes boring, once you got the hang of it -Good work-life balance -Decent PTO and benefits if you're a full-time employee

Cons

-Management might seem nice, but after a while you'll start to see how they really are. A lot of the managers can be fairly two-faced/shady when it comes to some things, especially the ones who are 'lifers' and completely entrenched in the company culture -There's really a feeling that you're in school and sometimes in trouble with the principal that I know a lot of people are unhappy with - we're all adults, and it doesn't help the general atmosphere when you can do something completely harmless but still get 'talked to' -The pay for most people in the office (not related to the sales field in any way) is abysmal, and don't expect any kind of significant raise year-to-year -Job security, no matter what department you're in, doesn't seem guaranteed due to frequent change-ups in how different things are done

Advice to Management

Please appreciate the people in the office more - they work really hard a lot of the time and never get recognized for it like they should. It would also help with morale if managers focused more positively on what their employees do instead of only telling them when they've done something wrong. I think it says a lot when other former employees that I know all agree that they're really glad to have moved on.

Enlightening

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Income from commissions has the potential to be very good. Lots of "bonuses" as a way to earn more.

Cons

Hard sell due to large percentage of small town businesses having negative attitude toward yellow pages. If you are canvasing a town where businesses are struggling, a day in the field can be very deflating, lots of "no's". If you don't hit your $ threshold per month, company deducts money from your base salary (you don't find out a lot of this stuff until you are in class in Illinois and you have already bid farewell to your previous job). Gas allowance doesn't come close to covering even half of what you spend. Far more hours put in than they tell you in the interview....it's more like 60+ hours per week....no time for a life. Training in Illinois is very intense and overwhelming. Training starts at 7:00 am - 5:00 or 6;00 in the class room, then until 10:30/11:00 pm back in hotel room.

Text Marketing Specialist

Former Employee - Text Marketing Specialist in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Text Marketing Specialist in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours, great pay, friendly employees on the same level.

Cons

Upper management doesn't seem to know what they are doing all the time. Communication is not always welcomed. People need to fit inside a cookie cutter mold. Training is all over the map. No two people do the same job the same way so everyone is "judged" differently so there is no set standard.

Advice to Management

A uniform type of training and across the board set of work rules, codes, standards and/or guidelines that are the same for everyone.

RSS Feed </> Embed