American Marketing and Publishing

Updated July 1, 2014
3.6

American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Pros
  • If you believe in the products and are excited to help small business owners, you will succeed (in 25 reviews)

• Very rewarding job, love being able to help small business owners grow their businesses affordably (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • At AMP I work just as hard as the small business owners that I call on every day (in 16 reviews)

• Don't forget all the time you have to spend searching for the home based businesses and it's nearly impossible to find an accurate, up-to-date list (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fair earnings for fair work!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Acct Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Acct Manager in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the close-knit community feel of this company! Sales is difficult and I never thought I would be able to have a sales job, but this company is inspiring and motivating. They provide so many resources to help you succeed. They provide a week long training class to learn the products and the awesome script and formula to sell effectively. It's still scary when you first start off, but management wants you to succeed! Every morning the CEO leaves inspiring voicemails to give you tips in the field and and also tips on how to strategically discipline yourself to make more money and to set yourself up for success. Every morning we have a morning success call with successful reps and district managers giving tips and elaborating on how they handle certain situations. If you're having trouble and feel like you're failing, sales support is always there to help you and the managers will call you and give you awesome success stories and get you going again. The sales quotas aren't easy to reach, but definitely not unattainable. What's also nice are the company wide contests that can earn you some quick cash as well. You really are accountable with how much you put into your paycheck.

Cons

You're definitely going to be putting in a lot of effort, and it will have to be maintained in order to keep doing well. If you're able to self discipline, this job is perfect!

Upper management is great! Keep being so supportive and motivating!

Starts off great, but sours quickly once you realize it's all about the sales field and never about the office staff.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The non-management office positions are 9am-5pm, which gives time for evenings with family. We sometimes get to leave early before holidays, but that seems to be happening more and more rarely. The benefits are also fairly nice and our medical, dental, and vision are top notch. We do pay quite a bit for the benefits, but we could pay a lot more for much worse coverage. The coverage for medical, dental, and vision is some of the best I've seen in my entire time in the workforce.

Cons

The company is all about the sales field. Even we have meetings that are just the office staff, we still focus mainly on the sales field and the advances that they would have. We were even once told that if we have any friends who were bartenders, waitresses, or anyone who makes less that $30,000 a year, to give their information to the recruiters so that we could get them into the sales field. Most of the people in the office, even those that have been there for a number of years, make significantly less than that $30,000 per year. This just showed how out of touch our upper management was with the issues of the "common" employee. Hard work is not rewarded and advancement in the company is a dream that few reach. The "Employee of the Quarter" voting is a popularity contest and it seems like the management picks the winners, instead of the office personnel picking the winners (as is intended).

Recognize the hard work of your office staff. Reward hard work and the people who have busted their butts to help your company excel. We in the office couldn't possibly care less about how awesome the sales field as it. We don't want to hear about how much they are making when we have to scrape to get by on what we make. Let some of the money that we are helping you to make trickle down to us. Without the Admin team figuring out what the chicken scratch on the contract is trying to say so they can enter it, and without the Production team figuring out how to build and proofread the ads, your company would go nowhere. Without the Customer Care team listening to screaming customers and the Accounting team making the hard calls to collect money, the company would be going nowhere. Reward the "other half" of your business. Take a look at comparable salaries in the area and payyour people accordingly. I make less than the bottom 10% of people in DeKalb who have my job title, and it shouldn't be that way for a company that wants to double in size in the next 18 months. Lastly, Abe needs to take a look around the office and be more involved with his office personnel. I think a lot of things are swept under the rug and Abe never gets to see how things truly are. I think if he knew that 90% of his office staff was miserable and would walk if given the chance for a better position, and the fact that a lot of the office personnel have resumes out on the internet, he might want to change things.

Good for entry-level office experience but not much more

Former Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Most co-workers were nice (there's a we're-all-in-this-together camaraderie...)
    -A lot of the work was pretty easy, if sometimes boring, once you got the hang of it
    -Good work-life balance
    -Decent PTO and benefits if you're a full-time employee

Cons

-Management might seem nice, but after a while you'll start to see how they really are. A lot of the managers can be fairly two-faced/shady when it comes to some things, especially the ones who are 'lifers' and completely entrenched in the company culture
     -There's really a feeling that you're in school and sometimes in trouble with the principal that I know a lot of people are unhappy with - we're all adults, and it doesn't help the general atmosphere when you can do something completely harmless but still get 'talked to'
    -The pay for most people in the office (not related to the sales field in any way) is abysmal, and don't expect any kind of significant raise year-to-year
    -Job security, no matter what department you're in, doesn't seem guaranteed due to frequent change-ups in how different things are done

Please appreciate the people in the office more - they work really hard a lot of the time and never get recognized for it like they should. It would also help with morale if managers focused more positively on what their employees do instead of only telling them when they've done something wrong. I think it says a lot when other former employees that I know all agree that they're really glad to have moved on.

Text Marketing Specialist

Former Employee - Text Marketing Specialist in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Text Marketing Specialist in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours, great pay, friendly employees on the same level.

Cons

Upper management doesn't seem to know what they are doing all the time. Communication is not always welcomed. People need to fit inside a cookie cutter mold. Training is all over the map. No two people do the same job the same way so everyone is "judged" differently so there is no set standard.

A uniform type of training and across the board set of work rules, codes, standards and/or guidelines that are the same for everyone.

Enlightening

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Income from commissions has the potential to be very good. Lots of "bonuses" as a way to earn more.

Cons

Hard sell due to large percentage of small town businesses having negative attitude toward yellow pages. If you are canvasing a town where businesses are struggling, a day in the field can be very deflating, lots of "no's". If you don't hit your $ threshold per month, company deducts money from your base salary (you don't find out a lot of this stuff until you are in class in Illinois and you have already bid farewell to your previous job). Gas allowance doesn't come close to covering even half of what you spend. Far more hours put in than they tell you in the interview....it's more like 60+ hours per week....no time for a life. Training in Illinois is very intense and overwhelming. Training starts at 7:00 am - 5:00 or 6;00 in the class room, then until 10:30/11:00 pm back in hotel room.

Set up to fail. Hoax!

Former Employee - Sales in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in DeKalb, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Holiday Inn Express you are put up at during training. The only positive to this company and job! If there was a no-star rating, they would deservedly get this.

Cons

Well, after running down the road killing myself to make sales, working 60+ hours per week basically in the field and 2 - 3 hours a night doing paperwork and more canvassing, spending $250/week in gas when you are reimbursed $300 for the entire month, and management who when you ask for help or some guidance, totally blows you off, it's a no-win situation. The saying is if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! I was set to be of under 3000 people and less than 200 businesses for 6 weeks. Really. I was required to see 40 businesses per day. Well, do the math. Six weeks times 200 calls per week is 1200 businesses you are supposed to visit...in a town that has less than 200 and that's according to list they give you to go off! When I expressed my concern about being out of businesses to see that I had already stopped at 3 or 4 times, I was told to deal with it . I was set up to fail! Found out on my first paycheck they have every reason to deduct from you. If you do not hit the $10,000 sales threshold, you are deducted $350 from your paycheck. If you didn't sell at text marketing package you were deducted another $150. If you are minutes late to your "assigned territory" they ding your gas allowance. So there goes your base salary you are making and basically end up in the hole. My district manager took all of the "big" leads, renewals (cover spots on the book worth more $$ and commission) and left me to scrounge for home-based businesses, knocking on home-based business people's doors at 7:00 at night. Found out if you start to slide in sales (which you are going to once you run out of businesses to see) and ask for help or advice, you are pushed off and ignored. I was so determined only to be set up to fail. Was so disappointed until I read online the reviews posted by other former employees--guess what, I made the right decision before they sucked anymore life out of me. When they tell if you have a problem, the CEO has an "open door policy," that yet is another lie. He promises to call you, but then turns around and calls your manager which you are basically given the option to quit or be fired when you call them out on their low business standards. If you are going to quit your job to go to work for AMP, don't.

Set your threshold structure according to the size of the towns your reps are put in.

Ridiculous if you don't take full advantage of what this company has to offer!

Current Employee - Hiring Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Hiring Manager in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Sales position here has changed many, many lives in a positive way. I have been here 10 years and I am so proud of what we have built and what this work has done for the countless people I have hired and observed in all eleven states (and counting). Anyone who questions the integrity of this company and it's employees is not the voice of reason, rather, the echo of yesterday - A person who clearly couldn't cut it and shouldn't have been here in the first place.

Cons

Our top reps and managers throughout the organization are people from all walks of life. They come from all backgrounds, etc. The commonality is they all are the most hard working, positive people you will ever come across and they are to be admired in my opinion.

Don't think twice about what a few disgruntled people write on a public forum like this. Chin Up! Nothing is every going to be perfect, but there is too much good in what we do for communities, local business, and employees, to even spend 10 minutes on what some dumb ass says here who clearly missed the boat! Karma is a B*%*. Let it pass. It always does. Let's keep making the world a better place and provide for our families while we do it!

Highest turn over I have ever seen!

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. You waste your own gas, you have your cell phone tracked, you work 2 extra hours after work and you work another 2 hours on Tues and Thurs calling on people eating dinner.

Cons

The reviews that are positive here are written by corporate recruiters. Do not trust what they have to say, they are looking out for their own bonuses.

Learn how to create balance for your employees. Stop having to have weekly training classes because everyone you hired last week already quit. That should be a key indicator that something really isnt working!

The Office is a Rollercoaster

Current Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the departments are well run and, if you can find a good fit, you have the potential to be happy working here. The insurance is fantastic and I only work 8a-5p on weekdays, so I get to spend time with my family. The other lower level people that you work with are great and everyone seems to have the same general sense of humor. Some of the managers are very helpful and seem to genuinely want you to succeed. Most of the managers are understanding when "life happens" and most will not give you too much grief if you are sick, your kid is sick, or you have to take time off for other family matters, as long as it doesn't involve a lot of personal phone calls. The upper management team is approachable, for the most part, and they all spend a good deal of time in the home office. I also get the equivalent to 3 weeks of vacation/sick time each year. Soon I get another week added on, which will be nice.

Cons

The pay isn't even close to what I would like to make, and isn't even close to being in the bottom 10% of what people in my position make in this area. The sales reps are considered to be so far above the office staff, it isn't even funny. The ONLY people who get any sort of extra monetary compensation are the people in the sales field and on the sale side in the home office. Department managers try to reward us with food and some give out gift cards on very rare occasions, but that's about it for extra compensation. Most people didn't even get raises this year and there was no end of year bonus last year. Most of the upper management have no clue as to how hard the office works and the COO and Vice President of Operations are the only people who care about the office staff. The rest of the upper management only cares about their sales reps. We have to sit through a yearly meeting every January that expounds on how awesome the sales field is doing, complete with having to watch them get huge bonuses right in front of us, and then we get a 20 minute "pat on the back" consisting of 2 awards. The yearly "company trip" consists of all sales reps, except for the 2 office people who win Office Employee of the Year and Manager of the Year, and they take the money out of your paycheck. It is a fairly miserable experience if you can't find a position that you like to do. Plus, the second you talk about advancing in the company, you get shot down or get saddled with all of the extra work that the managers don't want to do. Also, there are certain managers who are only out for themselves and will try to cut you down if you get in their way. Hard work is rewarded, but only if you are a sales rep. If you work hard in the office, you only get more work and not more pay. Also, if you receive too many phone calls from family, you will be talked to. Texting is also highly frowned upon, although certain managers text and receive texts constantly. There is a lot of favoritism in the office. If you are liked by certain people, you will excel. Though I'm sure most of the management structure can see that the employees are miserable, there has been nothing done to even try to make the employee happy or find out why people are miserable.

Pay attention to your office employees and treat them as amazingly as you treat your sales field. Also, don't ask us to bring in our friends to be sales reps and make "$30,000 per year easy" when we aren't making even close to that ourselves. Watch your department managers more closely, just because someone has remained loyal for many years doesn't mean they are a good manager. Berating, yelling, cursing and talking down to people is not a management style. Profanity in a work environment should be very few and far between, especially for managers. Lastly, please don't try to make us happy by seeing how much we are making when you add in our benefits. If I can't take it home, it isn't really compensation, it's a benefit to working there. It's a fantastic benefit, but a benefit nonetheless.

AMAZING company to work for!

Current Employee - Text Marketing Specialist in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Text Marketing Specialist in DeKalb, IL

Pros

I love working for AMP! My job is fast paced and very detail oriented. I get to be creative everyday and I get to set goals that are actually attainable! The best of my job is talking to my customers everyday, the relationship i have with my customers is similiar to that of a great friend. So everyday I get to call 500 of my really good friends and help them make money. Plus the department is constantly growing and developing new products all the time which is extremely exciting to be a part of.

Cons

You must be a self starter and be driven by ambition and passion. Which isn't really a bad thing. There is the saying figure out what you love and then find a way to make money at it. I was able to discover what I really love to do and its just a bonus I get to make money at it. This job is truly about helping the customer make money for their business. Anyone that tells you otherwise about this company is wrong-We deliver customers to our customers!

Keep moving forward with your incredible vision! I am so excited to be a part of it everyday!

American Marketing and Publishing Photos

Leeann standing with one of the customers that we serve.
Saturday Leadership Deveopment