American Marketing and Publishing

Reset
3.4
American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Pros
  • The company sincerely cares about small business owners (in 25 reviews)

• I get to meet a lot of wonderful people, and at the same time, help small business owners grow their business (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You distinctly get the impression that you are bothering 99% of the business owners you visit and are wasting their time (in 17 reviews)

• A lot of wear and tear on vehicles (in 8 reviews)

1. Great Company!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

Pros

Excellent company!!! Very supportive of their employees. Dedicated to the continual improvement and growth of products and professionals.

Cons

None. Unless you don't like hard work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

Incredible Opportunity!!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Manteno, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Manteno, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the professional workforce for 22 years. I have held upper leadership positions with 4 different Fortune 500 companies and AMP has been by far my best experience. I have been with the company for 6 weeks. The new hire process was solid. I was able to ride along with an Account Manager to see what the job was like before deciding if I wanted to work for the company. This was huge as I was able to see the pros and cons. I accepted the position and entered new hire training. This was impressive because I felt totally prepared to do the job once training was completed. The department heads each came into the training class to describe what their functions were. The President and the CEO also came to the class and spoke. The leadership is very approachable and they have a great sense of humor! I was assigned a territory and my District Manager performed a few ride-a-longs with me. I really enjoyed this because I had a chance to see the DM "walk the walk" by executing several sales. My DM has been very responsive and is a great coach. The overall atmosphere of the company is phenomenal! Each morning we have success calls that really get my adrenaline pumping. These calls are filled with recognition for solid performances and advice on how to be successful. Each morning I receive a voicemail from the CEO, the VP and my DM. These calls are always upbeat and positive. The overall atmosphere of this company is Incredible! The sales goals are very attainable. There are many sales contests and a multitude of ways to earn income. My first check was twice what I was expecting. The company offers many opportunities for upward mobility and really invests in each employee. I believe I have found the company that I will retire with!

Cons

None thus far. I expected the leadership to be "sales hounds" and constantly give sales targets that are impossible to hit, but that is NOT the case. All of the targets are attainable if you follow the fundamentals you are taught. This is a sales job, so we get told "No" a lot. But that is the nature of sales. If you can get comfortable being uncomfortable (stepping outside of your comfort zone) and talk to people then you have the tools to be successful - and the compensation opportunity is huge.

Advice to Management

Do NOT change a thing. I love the high energy. I love the recognition and how approachable the leadership team is. I like how the messages are balanced - you will get told NO alot, but follow your fundamentals and you will be successful.

If the idea of soliciting home based businesses at dinnertime has great appeal to you.. this could be the job for you!!!

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is paid training, a base salary and car allowance. You are not stuck in an office and most of the staff, management and co-workers are very nice. If you are currently unemployed or have a part time job with flexible hours that won't require quitting to work an AMP, it could be worth a shot. If you last, you eventually get paid holidays, vacation time and benefits. You don't have to work on weekends, which I guess is a pro.

Cons

They mass hire and mass fire (if you don't just quit). After being hired, you have to memorize a sales script that you will never use again. It requires about a week of study. Totally pointless. The in-print product only plays well in rural communities. There is a reason they don't have a directory in Chicago or Evanston or other high population areas in Chicagoland- they just can't compete with Dex or Yellow Book, which cover much larger areas and have much more use. In addition, the in-print product industry is dying and most businesses owners are convinced no one uses the book anymore anyways - so that is even more of a problem than the bigger phone book companies. The fact that the Homepages costs a lot less just makes its look like an inferior product in the Chicagoland market. The digital and text marketing products are decent, but poorly explained in class. Too much time is taken discussing how to sell the in-print, which again, only really plays in rural areas. The digital product should be its main focus, and they should teach all Chicago area reps to start with it before talking about the in-print. However, the digital product is very similar to what many other companies out there offer, and AMP should teach why companies should use AMP for other reasons than it is just a lot cheaper using AMP. The text marketing product is decent, but way too expensive, so there are very few sales of it company wide. If they cut the price in half or allowed a trial, there would be many more sales. Even though the in-print product is dying, if they allowed us to discount it to get sales, that would help. They don't. Although you see many examples in your revenue accounts where customers got huge discounts on the in-print, totally contradicting the whole price integrity reason why AMP says we as reps weren't allowed to discount. The base salary and car allowance are very low. You get the same car allowance regardless of how far you live from your territory or how many miles you put on your car. You actually have salary deductions for being too far under quota or not collecting enough money at the point of sale. I was absolutely stunned by this. They try to claim you can earn the deductions back by having a good next month, but it just shows how cheap they are, especially given how low the base salary is in the first place. You do NOT get any commissions until you meet your quota, which is 10K a month. Very few reps actually do this. Most of them are senior reps who have great territories and protected accounts. You can earn some bonuses by selling enough new accounts and win some money through contests, but it is basically chump change. You cannot really earn any money until your quota is met, which again, few reps do on a regular basis. The top 10 reps in the company do make good money, but this skews the average salary, which they claim is 50 to 60 K. Most reps make far below this, the few that actually survive. Turnover is massive. From what I have heard, it is about 95% within 6 months. Most reps don't make it past onboarding, which is 3 weeks. You have to sell 2 new print accounts and 1 digital sale just to make it to week number 4 on the job. So again, unless you are unemployed or have a flexible schedule, part time job that you don't have to quit to work at AMP, do NOT work here!!! You have work not just hard, but insanely hard to survive. With commute, planning, golden hours (more about this soon), database inputting all of your sales numbers and calls, you are easily working 60 hours or so a week. If you are married and/or have kids, forget about having any meaningful contact with them during the week. Tuesdays and Thursdays you are "very strongly requested" to work 2 extra, unpaid service hours called golden hours. This when you go a solicit those home based businesses at dinner time. It sucks! But given the limitations of the products you are selling, necessary to survive at AMP. You are expected to chase and solicit landscaper, contractor and painter trucks, etc in the area. So you see a guy cutting a lawn or planting flowers, you are expected to go up to them and throw a contract in their face and say sign here. It is the lowest of the low when it comes to B to B sales. Soliciting home based businesses at dinnertime is a walk in the park compared to this. LOL. The company culture is cult like. Unless you have an extremely extroverted, over the top, bubbly personality, it will drive you crazy. Every morning there is a 20 minute conference call as you drive into your territory. A couple days a week would be fine, but you quickly long for one morning you could actually just listen to your favorite morning radio show. They know if you skip it and your manager will ask you questions about it, so you have dial in. Occasionally something might be said that is valuable, but it is mostly stuff you have already heard 100 times. You are bombarded with company propaganda all the time. The managers and the CEO leave over the top voice mails all the time that you can't just wait to delete. The emails are the same way. But, what really gets you are the constant text messages. You are texted all day when someone sells something, which gets really annoying, especially if you are struggling. There are very few leads. The only leads you get are revenue accounts, which cannot be applied to any of the contests or bonuses. Most of them have already been renewed. The ones that haven't, 4 or 5 people have already tried in all likelihood, so good luck with that! They don't tell you any of this when you first gets these leads, so be prepared! Depending where you are in the pecking order, many of the territories have already been worked several times before you get there. So, you will walk into many places and they will tell you this very quickly. Even the ones that haven't already been solicited, they will likely see the Homepages and also tell you to leave very quickly. So, hide the phone book! Getting referrals is emphasized but you can't sell them if they are out of your territory, which just sucks and makes no sense. Sales technique is shady and uncomfortable. It involves assuming the sale and writing up contracts before the prospect has actually said yes. This may work once in awhile but more times than not, just angers a prospect who might actually be interested. That happened to me, but AMP requires this technique. The company slogan is "get comfortable being uncomfortable." That says it all. LOL! Oh yeah, they geo track you on your cell phone so they know where you are at all times. If you don't have an unlimited data plan, it will be all used up by the 2nd week of the month because of this program.

Advice to Management

It isn't their fault the in-print industry is dying, but they should really start downsizing it and just produce them in rural towns filled with mom and pop shops. Separate sales training classes for Chicagoland and everywhere else. Discontinue in-print product in most of Chicagoland and focus totally on digital. Only hire people with extremely bubbly, extroverted personalities. Do personality profiles to help determine this. The company culture is way too over the top for most people -even sales professionals. Be more open about the turnover rate. Mention there is a sales training class virtually every week because of this. Emphasize getting hired does not mean security beyond the 3 week onboarding period and few reps last beyond 6 months.

Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchor, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchor, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Opportunity. The management is amazing, positive and always encouraging.

Cons

Monthly deductions if you don't meet quota & goals. Lots of mileage on your car.

6. Outside sales Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from your car, you don't report to an office everyday. Base salary for proven producers plus commission.

Cons

Very hard selling point since most people do not use a hard copy phone book anymore. The listings were out of date and many times incorrect.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and upfront with new candidates on the level of difficulty of selling telephone book advertising. Improve your listings so both customers and representatives alike appreciate your product more.

7. Great company!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time

Pros

I love working for this company for multiple reasons. First off the opportunity to move up and advance my career and skills is limitless. The entire company is supportive and helps me reach my professional and personal goals. And I love the fact that I'm not behind a desk all day! I'm out in my community helping local businesses.

Cons

It is a hard job. It takes focus, self discipline and determination to become successful. But with the exallent training AMP provides, anyone who works hard will be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

8. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Office Employee in DeKalb, IL

Pros

Great Co-Workers Great Managers Supportive Work Environment

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

9. Couldnt ask for a better company to work for

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

Pros

Ive worked for the company going on a year. From day one they instill a sense of family and have not came across anyone who wanted nothing more than to see me succed. The pay structure is very generous and with the bonus structure they give you the oppurtunity to give you and your family a very comfortable life.

Cons

You will put some miles on your vehicle

Advice to Management

Dont change a thing

10. Hard work=greatness rewards

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great pay, insurance, team members, leaders truly care

Cons

Extremely handwork is required. Lots of driving

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Company is continuing to grow and thrive

Awesome place to work!

Pros

I love this company! They truly want you to be successful. You aren't just another number. I have never worked for a company that truly loved their employees until I joined AMP. They respect you and treat you like you're part of their family. You will work hard and enjoy it. The people are amazing. We've all worked at places we hate at some point in our lives and then you work for AMP and realize there is a different culture here than most places. It's nice to work somewhere that you feel important!

Cons

If there is any con about this company I would say you are going to earn what you are worth. It's not another paycheck that you get for just showing up. You truly get out of it what you put in to it. I don't see this as a con but for those just looking for a paycheck it could be considered as such.

Advice to Management

Keep making your employees feel important. They/we will take you to the next level!

RSS Feed </> Embed