American Marketing and Publishing

Updated August 20, 2014

3.6

American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Pros
  • If you believe in the products and are excited to help small business owners, you will succeed (in 21 reviews)

• Very rewarding job, love being able to help small business owners grow their businesses affordably (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't forget all the time you have to spend searching for the home based businesses and it's nearly impossible to find an accurate, up-to-date list (in 8 reviews)

• At AMP I work just as hard as the small business owners that I call on every day (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Mix of Products to Help Maximize Paycheck!!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

AMP is a great company to work for that offers superior products at an affordable cost which provides everyone a platform for great earning potential and incredible advancement opportunities. There are a great mix of products that can fit the budget and needs of every business owner you encounter which allows us to help more small business owners while also doubling our paychecks!

You are given everything you need to succeed: great products, extensive training, and sales tools like metered calls, text endorsements and digital examples as well as regular incentives and bonuses to keep you on track. There is a lot of support as well as recognition from co-workers all the way up to the VP's and even the CEO.

I like the direction that the company is headed with the creation of new products that will help us all continue to maximize our paychecks and create new leadership positions.

Cons

Success does require a lot of hard work, commitment and a strong desire to succeed. This is not a 9-5 job. It is a career and one that holds so much opportunity if you are willing to put in that extra effort.

Continue to provide us with sales tools such as metered calls, endorsements and new products to add to our already impressive mix!
    Keep the bonuses coming as this helps us all strive to push harder on the days it gets hard.

Upbeat and suppoertive

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

supportive co-workers, ongoing training, great benefits

Cons

a lot of hours above and beyond the 44 hours in the field

Selling HomePage Advertising in Chicagoland Suburbs

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good support from upper management regarding goal tracking.
    Everyone is extremely nice.
    Good potential to move up in the company.

Cons

It is hard to sell a product the majority of people consider outdated (yellow page advertising).
    "Golden Hours" (5-7pm) make for extremely long days.
    Working out of your car is not for everyone. I found it hard not to have coworkers around to talk to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrifying learning experience that dragged on for far too long.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

Pros

Quality equipment and software, business casual dress, over-abundance of snacks and treats. Fairly good work/life balance. Low level management doesn't expect much from you, so you can over achieve or just hit your targets and you'll be fine. I managed to do both at the same time; saw one promotion and countless pats on the back for my troubles.

Cons

They are a little pink slip happy. They slashed a department's full-time staff in half and eliminated the part-timers in favor of sending work overseas. They then made excuses for the poor quality of work for the next three years until things finally evened-out. Supervisors were fired almost regularly, and other people were fired seemingly at random just to spread fear.

Pay your people what they are worth, stop throwing money away on bad ideas, and stop treating your sales force like they are gods. You waste money training them, pump them up on praise and hoopla, then as soon as they miss goals they get axed. Develop some quality talent (who can follow directions) and retain them. Even if they are killing it numbers-wise, they are causing problems on the back end with their behavior and attitude (i.e. Bluske).

GO GO GO,

Pros

Great Training and very regimented.

Cons

Hours and must be really thick skinned!

Enjoy recognition, supportive leadership, great training, and good compensation for your (admittedly) very rigorous work

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eau Claire, WI

Pros

I feel proud and lucky to work for a company that emphasizes, as its foremost value, high-quality, reputable, honest, and helpful products and services for the small business owners who are the backbone of local economies. I am perpetually impressed by the high level of mentoring and training that is consistently offered to ensure that reps like me can exceed sales goals, enjoy the work we do, and be recognized and rewarded for our ever-higher achievements.

The people at all levels of the organization are the salt of the earth. Our leadership team wants us to succeed, and takes time out of their day to personally tell us when we're doing a good job. AMP leadership understands that when they give their reps honest feedback balanced with positive reinforcement, along with the best supportive network and tools available, everybody wins--the company, the rep, and the small business owner alike.

Cons

I work hard! Most of the time that's a good thing for me, personally, but it is rigorous and not necessarily the kind of work everyone wants to do. Our sales role is exclusively comprised of in-person cold-calling to business owners who are sometimes exceptionally wonderful to work with, but sometimes extremely rude or disagreeable. The key to combatting these challenges is to keep your brain in check: you can't control what a customer is going to do, but you CAN control how you react to a disappointing call. It's important to deliberately and consistently surround yourself with the winners of the organization--the high achievers and super-positive thinkers who've had some time with the company--in order to avoid the common pitfall of feeling discouraged or worse. So far I have been able to nip any negativity in the bud by employing this very strategy.

It's also really important to follow the AMP model you are taught in training; it works, so don't try to reinvent the wheel. Play ball. Cooperate and graduate. Maybe you already know a lot about sales, or maybe (like me) you have a Masters degree and lots of academic training. Whatever knowledge you have, resist the urge to think you're smarter than the leadership and simply do what is recommended by those in positions above yours; do it with a truly positive attitude, and you'll achieve more than you ever thought you could.

I was a college lecturer before I became a sales rep for AMP; I had no sales experience and struggled at first. It is hard work, and it isn't always buttercups and daisies out in the sales field (we make 40 calls a day in 8-9 hour 5-day work weeks in the sales field, and more than a few of the business owners we visit are belligerent, which can be painful), but if you use the high quality knowledge of the achievers around you, and the ample training materials and strategies AMP has designed for you, you can do the work and you can be great at it. I'm becoming (almost) great at it, which is still hard for an ex-educator newbie to wrap her head around!

Truly great people to work with

Current Employee - First In Representative  in  Cary, IL
    Current Employee - First In Representative in Cary, IL

Pros

This company provides so many great opportunities and an unlimited amount of tools to be successful. Every project is laid out for you and there is always a great team of people behind you to help you with anything and everything. Its a family owned company and you most defiantly are treated like family. They want nothing more than you to be the best you can be.

Cons

Picking yourself up from a bad day.

I'm proud to have come Home to HomePages Directories and American Marketing and Publishing

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Support and training is best I've ever encountered in my working career. They care about your success and they care about the customer's success. The Integrity of this company is top down. This job is not for everyone...you have to love to sell, and enjoy a face paced, high energy environment. Self Discipline is key and your attitude is everything. There is a reason they are experiencing amazing growth. FYI...I am not in management and not a corporate recruiter, I'm just a happy employee who is thrilled to be on board.

Cons

Gas reimbursement could be a little higher, but the compensation package is more than fair, and if you do well...gas money is not an issue.

Keep doing what your doing!!

Learning experience

Pros

This job teaches you people skills but I had that already

Cons

SOOOOO much time outside of work spent working, say good bye to your social life. If you like feeling alone this is the job.

When it's good it's good, when it's bad it's very bad.

Former Employee - Territory Closer
    Former Employee - Territory Closer

Pros

Lots of training and support. You never feel like you are alone in the field. Can make good money if you are the right kind of person.

Cons

Goals are sometimes impossible. Managers are there to sell the reps on their job, not be true to their employees. You get the general feeling that everyone is full of crap.

Worked for American Marketing and Publishing? Contribute to the Community!