American Marketing and Publishing

Updated October 22, 2014
3.6

American Marketing and Publishing CEO Abram Andrzejewski
Abram Andrzejewski

Pros
  • If you believe in the products and are excited to help small business owners, you will succeed (in 25 reviews)

• Very rewarding job, love being able to help small business owners grow their businesses affordably (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • At AMP I work just as hard as the small business owners that I call on every day (in 15 reviews)

• Work out of your car, in turn no allowances for vehicle wear and tear (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Company, Amazing management and staff.

Former Employee - District Manager in Central, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Central, IL

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. They are true to what they say. If you work hard, you will be rewarded. Pay for Performance company with the best training and support.

Cons

Cons are for people who do not want to work hard or at all. If you put at least 100% in, you will get back 100%

Un-Believable Growth and the Ability to write your own Paycheck

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Evergreen Park, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Evergreen Park, Cook, IL

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love my sales position with American Marketing and Publishing. I love the fact of being out and about and not behind a desk all day. The support that we get is remarkable. Everyone here wants to see you succeed and hit all of your goals, from our main office in Dekalb to out in the field.
    Most of all being able to help small businesses keep their phone ringing is very rewarding.

Cons

The only challenges that I seem to face are also part of my pros. The weather on bad days with snow and rain can be very challenging. Standing outside at times to sell a prospective customer and then trying to freshen up for the next call.

I wasn't cut out for sales but company is good and training was great

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company trains you very well and makes sure you have everything you need to do well. The management is very supportive and you can tell genuinely cares about you and your future. The job takes a little more time when you first get started because you are still learning but does slow down after your first month or two like anything else. Most people don't want to put in the extra work in the beginning but if you do it's rewarding.

Cons

I personally was not meant for sales in general. While at AMP I actually did pretty well but sales just isn't for me. The benefits were good and the money I made while working there was good. The con would be working alone. You work alone in your car all day so you have to be self motivated. The district manager did a good job of balancing her time so it was micromanaging and was supportive. You will read negative reviews but remember those are people that didn't make it and most likely because they weren't just doing what they were suppose to during business hours. Some days can be tough because it is sales and you have to be able to hear the word no but other days it's like a rush from selling. If you like sales and you are hard working and money driven then give them a chance.

Management at AMP is overall really good. My only advice is that all the group text throughout the day are distracting. I know some people like keeping up with the team but others have trouble focusing. I would put a stop to those.

If hard work and great satisfaction, than this is a company that offers both!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management, amazing advancement opportunities, unlimited earning potential and great benefits. Complete control of your day to day activities. It's amazing to work with hard working business owners in their pursuit at growing their business, at the same time it is rewarding knowing you help to contribute to their success. Great training.

Cons

If you have trouble holding yourself accountable or staying organized than this is the wrong job. Sales isn't easy, if rejection bothers you, than your in trouble. Must need a thick skin and be able to keep a positive mental attitude at all times. Must like people!

Life Changing Opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time

Pros

I love working at American Marketing and Publishing. I feel like every day when I wake up I have something new and exciting to look forward to! New goals to accomplish, new people to meet, new opportunities to grow and to learn and most of all I know that I will do all of this with the help and support of an entire company full of successful, knowledgeable and professional people. I do not look at what I do as selling, I look at it as helping, helping business owners grow their businesses and their customer bases and I feel fantastic as a result! Every night my husband asks me as I walk in the door, "How many people's lives did you make better today?" I love this company, the opportunities it has already provided for me and my family and because I wake up every morning excited for the new opportunities I know await me!!

Cons

In truth, I do not have anything negative to say about the company or my work. I LOVE IT!!

Keep up the support, encouragement and positive examples you set on a daily basis!!

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The base salary is fantastic on its own but they also give you commission and bonuses. Everything they say in the interview is true. Aside from the money, the products are realistic and advertisement business owners need and want.

Cons

Very little. Its really a great company and all management is accessible for encouragement and coaching whenever you need help.

Hard work

Current Employee - Territory Closer
    Current Employee - Territory Closer

Pros

Good company and good people that are very positive.

Cons

Hard to balance work and family life. A lot of wear and tear on vehicles.

Why is turnover so high?

Former Employee - Publishers Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Publishers Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Genuinely nice people throughout the company.

Cons

Paycheck deductions for not selling a certain product. Encouraged bad work life balance. Not enough compensation for job. Hard selling on a cold call. Micro managing and gps tracking your every location through your cell phone.(and yes you get phone calls if they feel you are in one location too long)Very high turnover.

There is a reason that turnover is so high and it's not because of a lack of desire to be successful.

I couldn't believe all the lies and dishonesty from this company

I worked at American Marketing and Publishing

Pros

Their insurance is the only good thing I can say about AMP. Well along with I made some good friends at the week of training in Deklab.

Cons

Where to start. My whole experience with the company was MISERABLE!!!

It didn't matter how many questions you asked and how in-depth you were, you weren't going to get an honest answer. They try and act really nice at first, they are sales men and women so they are trying to sell you the company. They do well on that making you think its such a wonderful company but they sell you on lies, and end up teaching you to do the same.

They tell you that you will be in a town NO MORE than 30-45 mins away. That's ridiculous. You'll be lucky if you only have to drive 45 minutes.

They say they have a good car allowance. YEAH RIGHT!!! $310 is not enough to cover anything. Federal regulation is 56 cents a mile. You drive over 600 miles in one week. And that is if you are extremely cautious of not driving back and forth and have your day planned out perfectly.

The $25 for you phone is nothing. I continually went over my data package because with them GPS-tracking you. Which is another thing. They say that they will only track you between the hours of 8-5 on weekdays, ANOTHER LIE! Some phones notify when they are requesting your location. But then you are getting requests at 11 PM and on weekends. Try asking your DM about it, they will tell you one lie, you call them out on it and they will tell you another lie. They can't keep up with all the lies they tell. Also if they can spend the time and money on sitting in front of a computer looking at your tracking information couldn't they take the time to train you better or pay you more.

They tell you that you'll make at least $50,000 in your first year if you work hard. NOT TRUE! I even talked with reps that have been there for years. You'll be beyond lucky if you make $35,000. They have so many deductions they don't tell you about until the last day of training. The goals are unrealistic. You can work your butt off and try your hardest and still not get there. They base all their goals off print, a dying market. At training they try and convince you that its growing. Maybe it is, but the only way to get a sale is to be dishonest and deceitful. Our DM trained us to quick get the "minimum sale" so they started to sign the contract and then fill in a bunch of stuff with being very vague at what you are signing them up for. You should quick have them sign it and get out of there, before they really have time to look at the contract. They do this because its a binding contract, so no matter what you signed them up for they still have to go along with it.

They show you all these metered call studies and try to convince you the book works. Yeah they are very impressive. But what they don't tell you is that the customer has to spend over $3,000 in print advertising. Thats going in multiple books and being everywhere. Doesn't account for one small ad. It is probably the same person calling over and over again, probably an AMP employee. They have to try and look like its a good product.

Training is like brainwash. They don't give you time to think on your own. They tell you the product is good and make you think you believe it. Once you have time to think on your own and do research. It's not a good product at all. They want you to talk fast so you tell the customer all the information but they don't have time to comprehend it, same as in training.

They tell you that they pay for your travel expenses to training. FALSE! They don't even give you enough money to cover one way. Because they tell you that you got paid for training, what company doesn't pay you for training. Also they say they pay for your hotel and most meals. I never heard of a company that makes you go to different city or state for 5 days and would expect you to pay for a hotel. Its the company's responsibility. And regarding the meals. They put you up in a hotel that has continental breakfast, that isn't them paying for your meals. Most companies give you an per diem each day for food.

This job will make you feel like you are back in high school. You have to suck up to your boss to get a good area. If they don't like you enough they will but you in a horrible territory that you can be stuck there forever.

There is not work-life balance. I love to work. Before leaving my job to come to AMP I was working 60-70 hours a week, working hard isn't a problem for me. But AMP thinks they are your life. Not counting driving time they want you to spend 50 plus hours in the field. They tell you that you only have to work 40 but if thats all you work they make you feel worthless because they want you out there more. But you are only getting paid for 40 hours. Then they want you to come home and input your numbers, plan for the next day, research new businesses, etc. That is another 3 or so hours at home. This also doesn't account for the numerous calls, emails, texts, and voicemails. It gets so bad I don't ever want to look at my phone. They send them to you at all hours of the night. I would constantly get woken up at 4 am because of a company email.

BE HONEST!!! Why waste all the money on training. Be upfront, let people know what they are getting themselves into before you invest in them. Most people wouldn't quit their jobs or relocate or expect to take care of a family if they knew what you were all about.

Managing on line reputations is their business, so don't be fooled!!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

Fantasic people work there!

Cons

They manage reputations for companies with their Optima, a on line presence management package. So they are very quick to go online to post positive reviews about their own company to offset the negative reviews. They monitor it constantly because they cannot remove the negative posts. So they bombard the reviews with their own positive reviews to keep the new employees coming. This company is all about hiring as many as possible because so few make it beyond 2-5 months. ( It's because the employee gives up and has to stop investing into a position that is a dead end. ) The churn and burn mentality here is outrageous. You won't make money here, it is all a lie. Every bit of it.

American Marketing and Publishing Photos

Leeann standing with one of the customers that we serve.
Saturday Leadership Deveopment