American Medical Response

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Medical Response President Edward “Ted” Van Horne

Edward “Ted” Van Horne

Pros
  • good benefits, but you need to be unionized(in 8 reviews)

• good people good supervisors overtime available they match your 401 k(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Its hard work, and long hours on occasion(in 8 reviews)

• employee morale is terribly low, everybody is constantly worried about losing their jobs(in 6 reviews)

Good Company.

EMT (Former Employee) Irwindale, CA

ProsGreat training and continuing education for employees. Provides good opportunity to work along side fire departments as first responders. Lots of overtime opportunities.

ConsLow pay, long hours. Often held over no shifts, but really cannot complain due to the nature of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis on opportunity within the company. There is a very high turnover as employees tend to come and go.

the reward was growth..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyou get out what you put in..

Consjob can be demanding..promotions are very selective and given to those who are within deep.

Advice to Senior Managementa little more compassion..

Very bureaucratic, money driven.

EMT-B (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsA lot of overtime is available. Very little supervision. Great deal of autonomy. Field employees are a very solid group of individuals that are very dedicated to patients and to helping each other. This job is a great start for someone who wants to continue in the healthcare field.

ConsThe business focus is on unit hour utilization, not patient care. Equipment is substandard and often unsafe. Management directs employees to use equipment not in compliance with manufacturer because of cost of fixing equipment. Contracts are prioritized above patient care. As an employee, expect to be demanded to falsify documentation for Medicare/Medicaid billing purposes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are missing the boat on marketing. Happy employees make the best marketing tool you could have.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

EMT/Dispatcher/Field Training Officer (Current Employee)

Prosgood people good supervisors overtime available they match your 401 k

Consshould be paying more the more you pay the harder people will work

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

Above averages wages, good equipment, fairly laid back environment.

Paramedic (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe pay is the best among private services in the region and fairly competitive even with the local FD's. A decently strong union, which provides an environment where people generally feel secure in their jobs. All ambulances are new-ish and the medical equipment is in good shape. If there are operational problems, management is fairly quick to address them.

ConsSystem Status Management is a bit of a drag, at least we have some quarters to use but there are not nearly enough. No night differential. Very little incentive to advance in the organization. Scheduling requirements placed on part-timers are overly stringent in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the importance of experienced employees to the organization, pay a higher differential for lead Paramedics to encourage people to advance. Make retention your highest priority and you will have a stronger organization. Pursue IFT contracts aggressively and provide more services outside of the traditional 911 contract realm.

Overall it is a fair company to work for.

Field Paramedic (Current Employee) Pueblo, CO

ProsInsurance, 401k, paid time off

ConsUnable to get tuition reimbursement, no advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees so they can work up the chain into a corporate job

Years of service doesn't matter for these guys.

Paramedic (Current Employee) San Rafael, CA

Prosgood benefits, but you need to be unionized

ConsIn order to be recognized in this field you need a union, or any private ambulance will cheat you from benefits or pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe loyal to your employees. If you guys don't get enough from insurance, then let's all work together to make a change.

Dishonest and Unprofessional Workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI learned a lot about working in an office setting, and that some people were really well maintained , but it can't be said for all.

ConsThe majority of people were ok but several of the so called "management" in the billing department, were liars and unprofessional. I was mistreated and asked to resign because I stood up for myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the new staff, because they are the most honest people. Do not keep promoting someone who is a liar and drama filled person. You are only hurting your business by allowing mistreated employees to be separated from the company by force Because everyone will be told the truth about this deceitful company.

AMR is the largest private ambulance service company in America, best known for the red and blue.

EMT-B (Current Employee) West Hartford, CT

ProsThe AMR in West Hartford pays pretty well at $18.55/hour for 2014. Hartford is a busy city and a great place to get experience. The schedule is very flexible.

ConsThere are MORE CONS than pros…
    1st: Pay is 18.55/hour but it's about $22/hour in Bridgeport, CT (an equally busy city) because Bridgeport isn't unionized.
    2nd: Because of ObamaCare putting AMR in a tight spot, they've cut down on everyone's hours by over hiring. Their goal is to have every employee part time with no health insurance and working about 16 or less hours per week. Last year it was normal to get overtime for an "part-timer" position, and now you're lucky to get 24hours/week. Soon it will be worse than that. I'm just glad i'm in school for a bachelors in unrelated field, and get out of there.
    3rd: Morale. Some may claim that there's a bond of brotherhood, but there really isn't. Most people who work there hate the company AMR aka the Walmart of EMS, hate co-workers and complain about it. Many there have poor diet, chain smoke, uses unprofessional language, treats patients less than adequately. The physical office is disgusting, equipment is not up kept AT ALL and I pray that I don't die because the 400,000+ mile 15 yr old ambulance may or may not have brakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll in all, if you want to be in this field to get into law enforcement, medicine, or fire which many do, then go for it. It's a great job to get in, and cash out. But i'm counting the days until I graduate and can leave forever. Truly sad to see how those of the working class are treated compared to that of office jobs (i have other office experience as well). Keep your head down, don't complain about people because it's a "back-stab" environment.

A soul-less corporate entity frequently tripped up by its own vastly over complicated policies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the employees I encountered were very nice and professional.

ConsCronic understaffing. Deliberately would not put enough ambulances on the road just to save a buck, which endangers people's lives and burns out the employees. A very joyless place.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate greed mixed with emergency services is not a good recipe.

Worked for American Medical Response? Contribute to the Community!