American Medical Response

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Medical Response President Mark Bruning

Mark Bruning

Pros:
  • "Medical benefits were good, too"
    in 7 reviews
  • "good people good supervisors overtime available they match your 401 k"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Its hard work, and long hours on occasion"
    in 8 reviews
  • "employee morale is terribly low, everybody is constantly worried about losing their jobs"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This is about the Northeast Division, specifically the Massachusetts.

Field Paramedic (Former Employee)

I worked at American Medical Response full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSome really great EMTs and Paramedics. Great stepping stone to other services and healthcare positions. You get experience doing EMS if you are in the right garage and service area.

ConsThe great EMTS and Paramedics move on to Fire Departments, Municipal Services and to other healthcare positions(don't blame them). The dumb, unmotivated and slackers stay on protected by a useless union. Poor Management. They are losing service areas and contracts(you reap what you sow). Pay and Benefits.

Too much nepotism and cronyism. Keep your mouth shut and don't criticise a coworker because you don't know who is related to who, who is a buddy with someone or simply sleeping with someone. Examples personally witnessed, a male and female crew who happen to be lovers, a scheduler and paramedic both married cheating on their spouses, a dispatcher and paramedic sleeping with each other. Also management and supervisors get their relatives hired. How does this affect the service and morale? Well in the case of the scheduler and paramedic, the paramedic gets to pick and choose his overtime shifts which should be open to everyone else. The dispatcher and paramedic sleeping together, well the dispatcher will screw the other paramedic crews with late calls and long distance transports just so that their paramedic lover gets off on time.

Also be very wary of the cliques. Even though this is supposed to be a union shop where seniority should count for bidding on shifts especially during a shift reorganization, there is backroom dealing where the cliques try and skew the bids. Prime example is of course above where the scheduler is sleeping with the paramedic. Scheduler knows what shifts are and her paramedic lover gets inside info to pass on to his buddies. See conflict of interest for definition.

AMR has a lot of rules on the books but they don't get enforced. There are employees who smoke in the ambulances, constantly on their cell phones when driving, game the system when taking calls by holding inservice and radio signals and much more...

This outfit and unit is a case study on how to not run an ambulance service.....

Pay? What Pay?

Paramedic (Former Employee)

I worked at American Medical Response full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy to get hired. Smile and know what corporate wants - high energy, brainless drones...
High turn over rate, due to Cons, makes hiring process perpetual.

ConsTERRIBLE compensation.
Required to be "on call" (at some locations) without ANY compensation due to federal laws protecting the employer.
 "Find your own coverage" even when you submit documentation at their "should be submitted" 30 day prior request.
Harassment via TEXT messages with fanciful stories of being told not to "make us out to be the bad guy" or asking for shift coverage via TEXT.
(In some areas), level 0 with mutual aid happens often due to the company stating they don't "have the funds" to staff another full time crew, or part time for "peak hours"
Upper level management (above area managers) refuse to return employee calls when they need to go above in the chain of command due to mistreatment and abuse of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's no advice you can give this "for profit" company they will listen to. They are money driven, with no concern for patients, as they call their patients "customers" EMS is not customer service, it's "customer" care, while service is part of that, the only thing management cares about is quick call turn over to not miss a "potential" Medicare/Medicaid/Insured patient.

Not employee friendly

EMT (Current Employee)
Monterey, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe only pro is that this is a nationwide company and we do not have to worry that we will not be paid, unlike the last company that was in our county.

ConsThis AMR is not employee friendly at all. The company sees us as replaceable at any time. They do not like older employees who have been in this county for a long period of time. The supervisors would rather write you up then help you with an issue. There are not enough units on the streets to cover the vast response area that we have. Management and Supervisors do not communicate well or listen to the employee's advice about what is really going on, on the streets. AMR lets everyone else be our boss as well. From fire to the cops and hospital staff, even if they are wrong and we are right, they side with these people.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your employee's on a regular basis, be honest in this communication. Respect goes both ways. Listen to the advice of your field employee's, they are the one's that are out there doing it everyday and actually have some good ideas. In general just be more employee friendly.

very non professional

Paramedic NREMT Certified (Current Employee)
Cameron, TX

ProsIt's a paycheck. Regular hours. Plenty of Overtime

ConsVery poor or non existant management from field supervisor to regional operations supervisor. No disciipline, no structure, no continuing education or training, short staffed, poor vehicle maintenance, below average pay for area, unorganized.

This is an operation that you come to either right out of school or go to when you are considering retiring and are at the end of your career. Most employees and field level supervisors don't give a crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake pride in your operations. Don't just say " Uh hu, okay" when an issue are brought to you and just blow them off. Learn to write things down instead of counting on your memory to remember things. Most of all take some management or leadership training.

Run away

Dispatcher (Current Employee)
Modesto, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat coworkers
Deep job satisfaction when you help to save someone's life
Pay is good

ConsManagement is a mess
Inconsistent policies
Business based model

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves. I would recomend corporate come in and audit the center, including interviews with employees. Not in my life have I ever worked in such a horrid work environment. Make sure that you get anything management tells you in writing, or make sure to have a steward with you in all dealings with them. They are beyond nefarious. Be prepared for the inconsistencies from supervisor to supervisor, often not receiving any type of real answer. They follow the "one bad apple" rule, so if one person messes up, you will be punished indirectly. More then half of the supervisors and management have lost jobs at other dispatch centers ans somehow managed to infiltrate the management positions. It shows. Radios and computer systems will malfunction and you'll be told that they've opened a ticket, which means generally that it won't be fixed for several weeks, and in several stations spots, years. If you absolutely need a job, I still would urge you to reconsider joining this "team". Their business based model and lack of any respect for its employees should cause you to run away from this place.

Rewarding career, but sometimes a bumpy, up and down ride.

Paramedic (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsWork in a small and personable operation
Offers paid training to keep certs up to date
Fair benefit package
1 to 1 match up to 5% on 401k
wages are good dependent on location serving
Uniforms provided

ConsLarge corporation that seeks to cut costs
Ambulances stocked to bare minimum to keep expenses low, often run out of supplies
Union contracts often expire due to lengthy and drawn out negotiations
Ambulances are kept far to long as a cost cutting measure, which often results in high repair costs, and crews unable to run calls sometimes due to breakdowns
Works on a minimum level of staffing to save on wages
Creates own software that is cumbersome and not intuitive that causes delays

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek out a better software solution that allows crews to work faster and more efficient
Stock ambulances with more than the bare minimums
Cycle out old and run down units sooner

Interesting corporate dynamic fair wage and benefits

Paramedic (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at American Medical Response full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of room for advancement both in Ems as well as corporate opportunities. Well maintained fleet and equipment as well as accepting of employee requests for new items.

ConsManagement could be slightly incestuous in their decision track while union officials were out only for themselves and not for the workforce at large. Could have more uniformity between divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more closely with the employees to maintain a close relationship. Unify the company more while making the necessary local adjustments to provide the highest patient care.

Modestly high on production effiency at expense of quality & consideration

In the Know of the Inner Circles (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at American Medical Response as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsMany operational units deliver a high frequency of clinical contacts which aids in gaining experience for those who feel the need or have the desire

ConsEmployes and community leaders should be weary of entering into commitments. Exmployees will get pressured into making commitments and to feel loyal. Those expectations DO NOT go both ways. AMR will part ways with you as soon as someone/anyone feels you're a liability.. i.e.. You're not Joe Cool and a drunk frequent flyer alleges you made an inappropaite sexual comment. You're partners support will mean little you can't "prove" your innocense to the satisfaction of HR or legal. AMR's trend to get business is to promise 1st class response times and clinical performance. Both modules are built on the philosophy of a town at a Hollywoood studio. Just the facade with little substance behind it. Be sure any contract is administered at least in part by a knowledgable physician with the authority to oversee the contract so that your citizens actually get what you are paying for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop living like a candle in the wind! Long term growth suffers because of fiscal short sightedness.

Extremely high call volume of Ambulance calls both emergent and non-emergent

NREMT - Paramedic (Former Employee)
Jackson, MS

I worked at American Medical Response full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHigher Pay
Newer Equipment
Paycheck Never Bounced

ConsALWAYS getting off late, once or twice a week is understandable but every shift you get a late call
Treated like a number and not like a valuable employee
Being told multiple times things were going to change without any action to change

Advice to Senior ManagementBe HONEST with your employees. Your only harming the company as a whole when you don't.

Poor leadership

Denver, CO

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company overall does all the right things but it invests little in it employees so the hard workers burn out and give up.

ConsEmployee recognition is almost nonexistent minus the occasional employee of the month notification that stopped coming months ago. Employees from accounting to IT are frustrated and turnover is growing

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that the “brain drain” occurring now is burning the existing employees and placing the company’s future in jeopardy.

Worked for American Medical Response? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Medical Response reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Medical Response CEO Mark Bruning. All 112 reviews posted anonymously by American Medical Response employees.