American Medical Response

Be The First To
Add Photos

American Medical Response President Mark Bruning

Mark Bruning

Pros:
  • "Medical benefits were good, too"
    in 7 reviews
  • "good people good supervisors overtime available they match your 401 k"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Its hard work, and long hours on occasion"
    in 7 reviews
  • "employee morale is terribly low, everybody is constantly worried about losing their jobs"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Company.

EMT (Former Employee)
Irwindale, CA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training and continuing education for employees. Provides good opportunity to work along side fire departments as first responders. Lots of overtime opportunities.

ConsLow pay, long hours. Often held over no shifts, but really cannot complain due to the nature of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore emphasis on opportunity within the company. There is a very high turnover as employees tend to come and go.

I haven't worked or gained any experience with the American Medical Response before, that's why I'm applying here

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time for more than 3 years

ProsImpact
Skills Acquisition
Meet new friends
Learn more

ConsI don't know of any special for now, but I think working outside my country may be.

the reward was growth..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Medical Response full-time for more than 10 years

Prosyou get out what you put in..

Consjob can be demanding..promotions are very selective and given to those who are within deep.

Advice to Senior Managementa little more compassion..

Good place to work

EMT/Dispatcher/Field Training Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time

Prosgood people good supervisors overtime available they match your 401 k

Consshould be paying more the more you pay the harder people will work

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

Very bureaucratic, money driven.

EMT-B (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

ProsA lot of overtime is available. Very little supervision. Great deal of autonomy. Field employees are a very solid group of individuals that are very dedicated to patients and to helping each other. This job is a great start for someone who wants to continue in the healthcare field.

ConsThe business focus is on unit hour utilization, not patient care. Equipment is substandard and often unsafe. Management directs employees to use equipment not in compliance with manufacturer because of cost of fixing equipment. Contracts are prioritized above patient care. As an employee, expect to be demanded to falsify documentation for Medicare/Medicaid billing purposes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are missing the boat on marketing. Happy employees make the best marketing tool you could have.

Above averages wages, good equipment, fairly laid back environment.

Paramedic (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay is the best among private services in the region and fairly competitive even with the local FD's. A decently strong union, which provides an environment where people generally feel secure in their jobs. All ambulances are new-ish and the medical equipment is in good shape. If there are operational problems, management is fairly quick to address them.

ConsSystem Status Management is a bit of a drag, at least we have some quarters to use but there are not nearly enough. No night differential. Very little incentive to advance in the organization. Scheduling requirements placed on part-timers are overly stringent in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the importance of experienced employees to the organization, pay a higher differential for lead Paramedics to encourage people to advance. Make retention your highest priority and you will have a stronger organization. Pursue IFT contracts aggressively and provide more services outside of the traditional 911 contract realm.

Overall it is a fair company to work for.

Field Paramedic (Current Employee)
Pueblo, CO

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInsurance, 401k, paid time off

ConsUnable to get tuition reimbursement, no advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees so they can work up the chain into a corporate job

AMR is the largest private ambulance service company in America, best known for the red and blue.

EMT-B (Current Employee)
West Hartford, CT

I have been working at American Medical Response part-time for more than a year

ProsThe AMR in West Hartford pays pretty well at $18.55/hour for 2014. Hartford is a busy city and a great place to get experience. The schedule is very flexible.

ConsThere are MORE CONS than pros…
1st: Pay is 18.55/hour but it's about $22/hour in Bridgeport, CT (an equally busy city) because Bridgeport isn't unionized.
2nd: Because of ObamaCare putting AMR in a tight spot, they've cut down on everyone's hours by over hiring. Their goal is to have every employee part time with no health insurance and working about 16 or less hours per week. Last year it was normal to get overtime for an "part-timer" position, and now you're lucky to get 24hours/week. Soon it will be worse than that. I'm just glad i'm in school for a bachelors in unrelated field, and get out of there.
3rd: Morale. Some may claim that there's a bond of brotherhood, but there really isn't. Most people who work there hate the company AMR aka the Walmart of EMS, hate co-workers and complain about it. Many there have poor diet, chain smoke, uses unprofessional language, treats patients less than adequately. The physical office is disgusting, equipment is not up kept AT ALL and I pray that I don't die because the 400,000+ mile 15 yr old ambulance may or may not have brakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll in all, if you want to be in this field to get into law enforcement, medicine, or fire which many do, then go for it. It's a great job to get in, and cash out. But i'm counting the days until I graduate and can leave forever. Truly sad to see how those of the working class are treated compared to that of office jobs (i have other office experience as well). Keep your head down, don't complain about people because it's a "back-stab" environment.

Overall, learned to be a good EMT, but not because of this company.

EMT (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- High call volume in urban areas forces you to become a good EMT (if you are self-motivated).
- Good employees are pretty much left alone in the field (no micro managing, for the most part).

Cons- High call volume in urban areas forces you to become a lazy EMT (if you are not self-motivated).
- Good employees are pretty much left alone in the field (this company does a poor job of acknowledging or supporting good performance/good employees).
- Organizational culture is very ageist towards older employees and/or applicants over 40 and does not value experience, professionalism or maturity among employees (would rather hire or promote young, inexperienced, immature employees - all in the name of saving money).
- Culture is dominated by young, inexperienced, immature employees (#1 most prevalent problem supervisors/management have to deal with - caused by previous point).
- Each operations region of the company is run as a completely separate company, even withing the same state (job transfers to other cities/states/regions are not allowed/recognized).
- AMR has changed ownership 3 times in the last 10 years (Laidlaw Transportation, then EMSC, then Envision Healthcare), each time involving wholesale changes in management, staffing and corporate philosophy.

Advice to Senior Management- Support your employees and give them the training and tools they need to be successful in their jobs as an EMT (poor employee moral and high turnover is the #1 reason this company struggles as much as it does).
- Jump at the chance to hire and/or promote older, more mature, more experienced applicants/employees, when you get a chance (especially previous employees who were good employees in good standing).

Good start up company

I have been working at American Medical Response

ProsIt's a large company with many places to transfer to.

ConsThey're very concerned with the bottom dollar and less with employees needs

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should show a little less favoritism

Worked for American Medical Response? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Medical Response reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Medical Response CEO Mark Bruning. All 112 reviews posted anonymously by American Medical Response employees.