American Medical Response

Updated November 20, 2014
3.1

American Medical Response President Edward “Ted” Van Horne
Edward “Ted” Van Horne

Pros
  • High call volume really gets you familiar with a variety of calls (in 8 reviews)

• good benefits, but you need to be unionized (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Its hard work, and long hours on occasion (in 8 reviews)

• excessively low pay compared to executive management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Was good at first, but pay was always messed up.

I have been working at American Medical Response

Pros

No pros to consider at this time.

Cons

Leadership, HR, unorganized, poor work environment, and always out of critical supplies.

Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Current Employee - Dispatch in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Dispatch in Spokane, WA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good crews,pay is not bad. Opportunity to learn alot, high call volume per units

Cons

Work load, No movement for promotion

Better Communication

Highly chauvinistic environment from senior level executives through mid-level management

Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a medical transport company, employees directly help the public. Benefits are fine - not great, but fine.

Cons

Very male centric and biased in work distribution and management perks.

Learn basics of gender equality and value smart, hard working employees - regardless of their gender.

Better than most Amr California shops

Former Employee - EMT in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - EMT in Irwindale, CA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The call volume is decent for the area, they run 911 transport in the san Gabriel area. The union has a decent contract so wages and benefits are decent for the industry. This shop covers the cost of CE's and re-cert's. 24 hr stations on same schedule as county fire.

Cons

The management staff it a close knit group and a bit of a boys club. This can be a little disconcerting if you wish to move up in the ranks. Relationship with county fire depends on the crew and fire station. Management has a tendency to back the fire department over the employees.

I spent 8 years at this location. A little more focus on leadership opportunities and guidance to get there would go a long way. Also feed back on annual reviews would be great. In 8 years I had only 1 sit down with a supervisor about what was in my review. Feedback goes a long way.

Great people

Current Employee - EMT-B
    Current Employee - EMT-B

I have been working at American Medical Response part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The good feeling you get when you help someone in the time of need.

Cons

If you do your job things are good.

Listen to your people. and act on things to show you care.

You get out of it, what you put into it!

Current Employee - EMT-B in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company, room to promote to FTO and Associate Supervisor. They have a variety of shifts, 24 hour and 8 hour shifts.

Cons

If you don't monitor your timesheets you could lose money. The communications center can misuse the resources and in turn beat down the field crews. On a daily bases it causes poor morale.

Field Employees great, admin and upper management the worst

Former Employee - Field Paramedic in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Field Paramedic in New Haven, CT

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pros: coworkers were generally the best. Patients are lively, interesting, and the hospital staff are usually fine. Salary used to be great, benefits, too, but the recent union contract negotiations have tanked that.

Cons

You can look forward to a terrible schedule, mandatory order-ins, not the greatest benefits, poor leadership, ineffective and threatening management styles, sexual harassment from coworkers as well as management, who are petty and punitive. Stay away.

Stop sleeping with the employees, hire honorable management, provide people with real opportunities for advancement.

Upscale yet unprofessional

Former Employee - EMT-B in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Medical Response part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-higher pay than most companies
    -good equipment
    -911 experience

Cons

-elitist attitude
    -unpredictable schedules for part-time
    -favoritism

Show less favoritism, unprofessionalism due to elitist attitude

Not the best, not the worst.

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I gained a tremendous amount of experience working here. Overall, I felt like I was a valued employee.

Cons

I did feel like my division took advantage of the fact that I was a hard worker. By this I mean, I was continually given more work to do while others, in the same rank and pay grade, were not expected to do as much. In management, nights and weekends are well within work expectation boundaries. Work-life balance is discussed but I never saw follow through from the local division. Expectations were sometimes unclear or never communicated. Compensation outside of divisional upper management was adequate. Upper management compensation was very inconsistent and did not necessarily match the position, experience, or employee value. There was a significant divide between the corporate office and the division operations. Expectations from corporate were often unrealistic and inflexible.

Transparency is vital. Develop clear expectations that are appropriately communicated and do not frequently change. Compensate appropriately across the board. Employees talk and I believe that most know what others are making. The corporate office needs to develop better relations with the division operations. Open communication should happen both ways.

It's a starter job

Former Employee - EMT-B in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Phila, PA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible (sort of) hours, nice long shifts (so you only work 3 days out of the week)... LOTS of overtime. Has cool events that you can attend.

Cons

Sometimes really busy, poor management (they don't care about you, they only care about the money), won't ever get off on time. Poor scheduling, always changing without notice (apparently it's our duty to check every single day). LOW PAY for an EMT.... REALLY low pay, hence the starter job. No career advancement opportunities what so ever.

Care about your employees more.