American Medical Response

Updated January 21, 2015
3.2

American Medical Response President Edward “Ted” Van Horne
Edward “Ted” Van Horne

Pros
  • High call volume really gets you familiar with a variety of calls (in 8 reviews)

• good benefits, but you need to be unionized (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Its hard work, and long hours on occasion (in 8 reviews)

• excessively low pay compared to executive management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits packages. Support for continuing education and licensure.

Cons

excessively low pay compared to executive management.

Selectively share the wealth created at the street level with those at the street level. Put your money where your mouth is.Great plans in positive directions have no positive value and is actually counter productive in the absence of consistent, uniform follow through at each and every tier of the leadership team starting at the CEO. Not accurately following your game plan is ineffective and retards efficient achievement of the organizational goals and objectives.

PHILA AMR is racist and sexist

Former Employee - Field Paramedic in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Field Paramedic in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alot of overtime.They will always have an extra shifty to fill

Cons

Sexist!! I was the only woman paramedic and they treated me like crap!!
    So Racist!! When all the Caucasians became a medic they put up poster and have a luncheon. When I became medic upper management didnt do anything

Treat women and African americans equally as white medics

Great Place, Great Benifits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Morale and Pay, great managment team

Cons

none, not bad at all

Not the best, not the worst.

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I gained a tremendous amount of experience working here. Overall, I felt like I was a valued employee.

Cons

I did feel like my division took advantage of the fact that I was a hard worker. By this I mean, I was continually given more work to do while others, in the same rank and pay grade, were not expected to do as much. In management, nights and weekends are well within work expectation boundaries. Work-life balance is discussed but I never saw follow through from the local division. Expectations were sometimes unclear or never communicated. Compensation outside of divisional upper management was adequate. Upper management compensation was very inconsistent and did not necessarily match the position, experience, or employee value. There was a significant divide between the corporate office and the division operations. Expectations from corporate were often unrealistic and inflexible.

Transparency is vital. Develop clear expectations that are appropriately communicated and do not frequently change. Compensate appropriately across the board. Employees talk and I believe that most know what others are making. The corporate office needs to develop better relations with the division operations. Open communication should happen both ways.

Very positive experience! Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Government Billing Representative in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Government Billing Representative in Modesto, CA

I worked at American Medical Response part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company was very customer focused and result driven. Keeps workers on their toes and demands the best quality of work. I was part time so I didn't receive benefits.

Cons

Very fast paced and needed to keep Stats up. It was hard as a new comer to meet the requirements but not impossible.

If I had stayed there long enough, advancement would have absolutely been possible in the future in some degree.

Great co-workers, typical corporate environment

I have been working at American Medical Response

Pros

The city is an amazing place to work, the patients are constantly reaffirming, and the tight-knit family feel of the "shop" is great.

Cons

Management is constantly changing and very inept, the combination of healthcare and profit is always problematic and the workers will feel that the worst, and AMR is as corporate a company as it gets.

Share the wealth.

Neutral

Current Employee - EMT-B in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Medical Response part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The schedule is highly flexible that offers as much hours someone could possibly want. Great Staff of what I noticed.

Cons

Poor communication, Lack of Navigation tools, Poor pay.

Raise the Hourly salary to what competitor companies offer (It ridiculous that AMR Medics make less than what an HEB/ Sam's club cashier makes). AMR looses A LOT of employees to the poor hourly rate!!! Provide vehicles with a GPS (so cell phones aren't being used while driving) and provide at least one hand held radio per vehicle (so employees don't have to rely on a cell phone in the event of an emergent situation).

Not a Bad Company

Current Employee - Field Paramedic in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Paramedic in Denver, CO

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hundreds of locations throughout the United States to transfer to. The ability to join the National Disaster Response Team. Good place to get a job if your young without experience. The ability to work more overtime then you know what to do with.

Cons

The constant policy changes. The knee-jerk reactionary management. Difficult to promote to other levels in the organization because they are constantly "Restructuring." Low end equipment and not visionary. Ambulances that look worse and have more miles on them then your 1969 Ford F-150.

Since American Medical Response is the largest ambulance company in the country, take the time to have people be proud to work for the organization. Be a leader in Emergency Medical Services that other organizations want to model themselves after, not one that is based off pure profits.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - EMT in Santa Clarita, CA
    Former Employee - EMT in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of training, good 911 experience

Cons

very corporate, lots of IFTs

Operations Manager

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees have the best intentions for their patients. Wages are decent

Cons

Uper Management is unrealistic with goals for Operations. Hold Over policies are not fair to employees. Upper Management does not lead by example.

Be realistic. Policies should be the same or close to the same in each operation. You talk about work life balance a lot but when it comes down to it you do not really care. Just be up front and not lie.