American Medical Response Reviews

173 reviews filtered by

1. Upscale yet unprofessional

Former Employee - EMT-B in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Medical Response part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-higher pay than most companies
    -good equipment
    -911 experience

Cons

-elitist attitude
    -unpredictable schedules for part-time
    -favoritism

Show less favoritism, unprofessionalism due to elitist attitude

2. You get out of it, what you put into it!

Current Employee - EMT-B in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company, room to promote to FTO and Associate Supervisor. They have a variety of shifts, 24 hour and 8 hour shifts.

Cons

If you don't monitor your timesheets you could lose money. The communications center can misuse the resources and in turn beat down the field crews. On a daily bases it causes poor morale.

Not the best, not the worst.

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I gained a tremendous amount of experience working here. Overall, I felt like I was a valued employee.

Cons

I did feel like my division took advantage of the fact that I was a hard worker. By this I mean, I was continually given more work to do while others, in the same rank and pay grade, were not expected to do as much. In management, nights and weekends are well within work expectation boundaries. Work-life balance is discussed but I never saw follow through from the local division. Expectations were sometimes unclear or never communicated. Compensation outside of divisional upper management was adequate. Upper management compensation was very inconsistent and did not necessarily match the position, experience, or employee value. There was a significant divide between the corporate office and the division operations. Expectations from corporate were often unrealistic and inflexible.

Transparency is vital. Develop clear expectations that are appropriately communicated and do not frequently change. Compensate appropriately across the board. Employees talk and I believe that most know what others are making. The corporate office needs to develop better relations with the division operations. Open communication should happen both ways.

5. It's a starter job

Former Employee - EMT-B in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Phila, PA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible (sort of) hours, nice long shifts (so you only work 3 days out of the week)... LOTS of overtime. Has cool events that you can attend.

Cons

Sometimes really busy, poor management (they don't care about you, they only care about the money), won't ever get off on time. Poor scheduling, always changing without notice (apparently it's our duty to check every single day). LOW PAY for an EMT.... REALLY low pay, hence the starter job. No career advancement opportunities what so ever.

Care about your employees more.

6. PHILA AMR is racist and sexist

Former Employee - Field Paramedic in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Field Paramedic in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Alot of overtime.They will always have an extra shifty to fill

Cons

Sexist!! I was the only woman paramedic and they treated me like crap!!
    So Racist!! When all the Caucasians became a medic they put up poster and have a luncheon. When I became medic upper management didnt do anything

Treat women and African americans equally as white medics

7. Great co-workers, typical corporate environment

I have been working at American Medical Response

Pros

The city is an amazing place to work, the patients are constantly reaffirming, and the tight-knit family feel of the "shop" is great.

Cons

Management is constantly changing and very inept, the combination of healthcare and profit is always problematic and the workers will feel that the worst, and AMR is as corporate a company as it gets.

Share the wealth.

8. Great place to work.

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits packages. Support for continuing education and licensure.

Cons

excessively low pay compared to executive management.

Selectively share the wealth created at the street level with those at the street level. Put your money where your mouth is.Great plans in positive directions have no positive value and is actually counter productive in the absence of consistent, uniform follow through at each and every tier of the leadership team starting at the CEO. Not accurately following your game plan is ineffective and retards efficient achievement of the organizational goals and objectives.

9. Great Place, Great Benifits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Morale and Pay, great managment team

Cons

none, not bad at all

10. Neutral

Current Employee - EMT-B in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - EMT-B in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Medical Response part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The schedule is highly flexible that offers as much hours someone could possibly want. Great Staff of what I noticed.

Cons

Poor communication, Lack of Navigation tools, Poor pay.

Raise the Hourly salary to what competitor companies offer (It ridiculous that AMR Medics make less than what an HEB/ Sam's club cashier makes). AMR looses A LOT of employees to the poor hourly rate!!! Provide vehicles with a GPS (so cell phones aren't being used while driving) and provide at least one hand held radio per vehicle (so employees don't have to rely on a cell phone in the event of an emergent situation).

11. Very positive experience! Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Government Billing Representative in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Government Billing Representative in Modesto, CA

I worked at American Medical Response part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company was very customer focused and result driven. Keeps workers on their toes and demands the best quality of work. I was part time so I didn't receive benefits.

Cons

Very fast paced and needed to keep Stats up. It was hard as a new comer to meet the requirements but not impossible.

If I had stayed there long enough, advancement would have absolutely been possible in the future in some degree.