American Medical Response Reviews

Reset

1. It

Current Employee - EMT
    Current Employee - EMT

Pros

Lots of overtime available. Special event opportunities. The longer term employees are usually pretty fun to work with. Part time Per diem can self schedule up to 30 hours a week. Great environment to start out in the EMS world. Get to experience transfers, hospital discharges, 911 emergencies, standby's and long distance trips. The current road/operations management is actually pretty good right now. They got rid of the REALLY bad ones.

Cons

It's like a hiring mad house. There are always new employees and many incompetent employees. Always work in a way to cover your behind because someone will always be trying to get you fired. They eat their own and leave them out to dry. There's always a new road/operations supervisor or team leader ever 2 months if not more often.

Advice to Management

Don't change. Every day is like a bag of skittles, you never know what kind you'll get. Thanks for the entertainment and support.

2. New to the company and It seem like there is high turn over. I'm using it as a stepping stone to medic school.

Current Employee - EMT in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - EMT in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Knowledgeable field training officers. Double time for overtime. Can pick up over time easily.

Cons

Pay is low, even though it's the highest pay in the country starting out for an ambulance company.

Advice to Management

Really none. They run a tight ship, proud to work here. Just wish the pay was higher. But it's my choice that I'm working here, so I can't complain.

3. Poor work life balance. Any warm body with a license gets hired.

Former Employee - Paramedic in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of field experience. Always running calls. Busy 911 system. Good for new medics to gain experience and get their feet wet with 911 calls

Cons

Treated like trash by patients who abuse medicaid system and view ambulance as a taxi. 911 trucks also do IFT's which means you're frequently running a call from marking in service until going home. Supervisors are inconsistent. Management doesnt listen to employee complaints or problems. Several employees maintain their job after repeated poor performance just because there is no one to replace them.

Advice to Management

Recruit better so you can keep and retain good employees, don't be afraid to fire the bad ones. Listen to your employees. Don't turn everything they said around or assume that they're just complaining

5. Good experience

Current Employee - Field Paramedic in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Field Paramedic in Riverside, CA

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great place to gain experience and start your career in the medical field.

Cons

Low pay, Poor benefits. This is a "FOR-PROFIT" private company and you are treated that way.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better. Happy employees make happy customers/citizens.

6. amr medic

Current Employee - Paramedic
    Current Employee - Paramedic

I have been working at American Medical Response full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay, steady hours, great coworkers

Cons

high call volume, system abusers

Worse job I ever had!!!

Former Employee - Coder in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Coder in Modesto, CA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can come up with is that I met a lot of nice people that worked there.

Cons

The management was clueless, the supervisors were insensitive and mean. I had never been treated so bad in my life. I would compare this job with working in a sweat shop. I felt like I was working in a third world country. It's so ironic because in December I was laid off and replaced by workers in India and the Philippines. Good luck with that!!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and maybe you'll get some in return.

8. Low pay no increase better companies out there. They have been sold numerous times management is horrible. Stay away

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Houston, TX

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Co workers everyone works together you get benefits which is rare now a days

Cons

Poor starting pay if you have 20 years experience your still going to start at $12 an hour

Advice to Management

Start paying better. They recognize military medics but give them poor salaries. HR was a nightmare and very rude

Hard job, but it's rewarding in it's own way

Former Employee - 911 Dispatcher in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - 911 Dispatcher in Sacramento, CA

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay Once you've been there awhile, the people you work with become like family. Training is very thorough for those who haven't ever dispatched before Great crews Fun job, if you're good at it

Cons

Tough shifts (most are 12 hours) Management is iffy Lots of mean girls that take a long time to warm up to you - high school You get written up for everything Union doesn't do squat to protect the employees You start off part time, scrambling for shifts

10. Part of Envision Healthcare

I worked at American Medical Response full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Caregivers are a dedicated group and really committed.

Cons

Little room for advancement.

11. Medical coder

Former Employee - Medical Coder
    Former Employee - Medical Coder

Pros

A great Company to work for. I made a mistake by leaving to further my coding career which did not work out.

Cons

Just sold PBS to another company which is outsourced.

RSS Feed </> Embed