American Medical Systems

Add Photos

Camille Farhat

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsWork Life Balance is great free gym and cafeteria on site

ConsNot many options to move up

Company has the best intentions, but lacks the talent to execute.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsGreat culture. People are friendly, compensation is generous for key talent and performance is rewarded. Lots of diversity in the senior leadership ranks. Really good work life balance / flexibility.

Cons25 years of incompetent mismanagement cannot be overcome by the investment level the parent company is willing to make. Sr Leadership team highly nepotistic -- pulling key staff from Baxter rather than searching for best local candidate. Massive amounts of work needed to bring this company up to the level of process excellence of other medical device companies. Revenue pressures in part of the business results in cost cutting/under resourcing efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind someone who has transformed a company and bring them in as a leader -- rather than constantly going back to the same talent pool. 1.5 years in and R&D /Operations not any further along. Look at the leadership (or lack thereof) in that area.

In it for the money

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsCo workers were great...managers and management not so much.........

ConsManagers and upper management do not care about you personally.....you are a number and can be easily replaced.......completely worried about their pay check.

Advice to Senior ManagementList to the feedback we give you....its not all about the bottom line $$$$.........

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unstable Company, Lack of loyalty for hardworking, dedicated employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsMost of the employees have a great sense of humor, are dedicated and hard working. It's a large company so there are lots of divisions to work within the same discipline (e.g. Women's Health Clinical, Men's Health Clinical)

ConsPoor leadership. Penny wise and pound foolish budgeting decisions made. No job security no matter how hard you work. People spend so much time in meetings they don't get anything done! Layoffs have piled more work on an already overworked, shrinking employee base. Poor morale in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in, listen to, and reward human capital. Attracting and maintaining top notch employees should be a top priority. Challenge employees and management to maximize working hours, work together and eliminate unnecessary meetings. Interfunctional teams seem to always be at odds with each other.

Dismal

Operations (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsThe heat is on during the winter and AC on in the summer. Free coffee, above average pay and benefits.

ConsGood ol Boy network, revolving door of employees, especially in operations. Leadership is two faced. You know things are bad when new employees are leaving within a year of hire.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company before you've totally destroyed it.

Company review

ProsPeople want to do the right thing.

ConsNeed to be open to organization changes.

Annual raise. What annual raise?

Associate (Assembly) (Current Employee)

ProsThe starting salary for production assembly is pretty good and the benefits are decent. The campus building is very nice and is located in a nice area.

ConsI'm writing this for my wife, because I have to listen to her when she comes home. Everything started well for my wife when she got hired in the production area. Her starting pay was very decent and her supervisor was very nice and thoughtful. He actually seemed to care for the employees well being. Unfortunately, he left the company due to management decisions, and a new supervisor took over her area. Over the past year, my wife has had to work very hard with mandatory overtime because the supervisor wants get the numbers. My wife's reward for a year of mandatory overtime and hard work was a 10 cent per hour raise for her annual review. She came home and cried. Yes, health care costs go up about 10% a year, and annual inflation is about 3-4% a year, and my wife gets a 10 cent raise. That's $4 a week and $200 a year. It's probably not a very good way to keep the good workers happy. My wife has said that people have left the company due to the poor raises in production. The way it's going, it might be her as well in the near future. I can understand her frustration. I would be frustrated too if I got such a poor annual raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop and listen to the employees for once. Don't think you know everything. Try to have a heart and at least pretend to care, will you?

Company is trying to rebuild after cuts that went too deep.

ProsFree workout facilities and nice facilities

ConsToo much of the tribal knowledge has been lost.
    Bad behavior has been tolerated which holds back people trying to do the right thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least equal emphasis should be spent on employee retention as recruitment.

Good company on rough road

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minnetonka, MN

ProsGood products that help people improve their quality of life.

ConsSr Mgmt has had significant turnover in the last 12 months; replacements came from outside the company. Company culture has changed for the worse since the acquisition.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to your staff. Need to prioritize what needs to get done first. Not everything can be a number 1 priority.

Average Medical Device Compnay

IT Consulting (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsPeople seemed nice at the company

ConsManagement at the time was weak

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better middle managers that know their stuff.

Worked for American Medical Systems? Contribute to the Community!