American Mobile Healthcare

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
4.3

Susan Salka

I have had a pleasurable experience so far with AMN.

Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Critical Care RN in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I have the best recruiters Dana Bluestone and Chiaron Barry,. If it weren't for those 2 I would probably be with another company. They have made sure that I an taken care of and happy, That means everything.

Cons

Not sure what downfalls area with AMN,. They are the first and only travel company that I have used, However, from fellow travelers I have been told that AMN is the least paying company,

Everyone is very friendly and helpful with any questions you have.

Current Employee - Sonographer in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Sonographer in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only worked with AMN for a short time,but my experience so far has been great. I would recommend other to work AMN.

Cons

I wasn't very pleased with the housing. It seems that most travel companies try to keep housing on the cheaper end. Which the place you live,temporarily,should be a very important and almost feel like home.

Putting yourself in the shoes of the traveling health care workers could help. This would give you an idea of what you would want if you were on a travel assignment for work.

The Wal-Mart of travel nursing

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare

Pros

Recruiters will make or break any travel company!! And I have been working with mine for several years now-- she is amazing. AMN is in no way the best paying company; they do, however, have the majority of the jobs. It is because of that and my recruiter that I stay with them.

Cons

Impersonal. Too big of a company to truly know their nurses. Are not up front with benefits available. Does not offer top pay. Change their ancillary staff with every single job assignment-- quality analyst, housing, benefits (and its not like they introduce themselves, just email you a to do list or you have to hunt down your contact if you have questions). No contract ever allows for sick days.

Give your nurses the impression that you are looking out for them-- something I've never heard anyone say of AMN.

Awesome first experience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I took my first assignment with AMN. I was hesitant after mixed reviews, but I have to stay that I had a wonderful experience. AMN is the largest travel
    company with so many jobs all over the country. Want to go to CO, NY, Southern CA, Northern CA, FL, etc etc?? They will have a job there.
    I looked up ER jobs with other travel companies and found an average of maybe 3, AMN had over 60 positions in Southern CA, and the awesome big cities too.
    The most important thing is your recruiter. If they don't call you back or answer all your questions, you might want to get another recruiter. I was lucky and adore mine. She has gone above and beyond and got me everything I asked for, making my experience 5 stars. I recommend the company. The money isn't the highest paying out of all the travel nursing companies BUT you get to explore the best places of the country! Wherever you've wanted to go, AMN will probably have an assignment there.

Cons

Lower hourly pay than other companies but lots of positions all over country. I lived in Beverly Hills... I wasn't making as much as some of my coworkers but I lived in an amazing place and still made more as a traveler than I did as staff at home.. Can't have it all.

Teresa is an awesome!! Because of her, I am living it up in West LA, exploring the beaches, hiking the mountains and enjoying the night life. She deserves some recognition.

dependable company

Pros

well paid jobs and good

Cons

availability of agent when needed ,calling and leave message and not called back

Pays on time and is very reputable

Current Employee - RN Case Manager, Home Health in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager, Home Health in Roseville, CA

Pros

Exclusive contracts with Kaiser Permanente.

Cons

Poor pay compared to what hospital-employed nurses make.

Increase the base wage for your travelers. Becasue it is too low we seek full time employment with local hospitals. I have know many of my fellow travelers leave AMN and get permanent employment

Negotiate your contract!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working 3 months and take off whatever time you want between contracts.

Cons

Negotiate your housing stipend. I've gotten over $1000 more than what they offered. EVERYTHING is negotiable. Also negotiate them to fly you home between extensions if you extend your contract.

Don't treat your employees like dollar signs. Every year it's getting worse and more obvious- this is why I left.

American Mobile Healthcare Response

Aug 5, 2014Division Vice President, Travel Nurse Recruitment

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback and I am sorry to hear you have been unhappy with parts of your American Mobile experience recently. American Mobile values its travelers and strives to ... More

Excellent 1st Time Travel Experience!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Since my very first contact with NursesRx this company has been exceptional. Stacy, the first to reach out to me when I expressed interest from their website, continued as my personal recruiter. She listened to me. Read that sentence again! She found me the perfect position, based exactly on what I wanted. Plus, she returns my calls and emails within hours when I have a question or need help ... even remembering to call me on my first day to make sure to wish me luck! Next I met Natalie, who arranged my housing. The initial housing complex was very nice, even on water(!), but something about it just didn't feel like home to me. No problem! Again, Natalie listened to what I wanted and found me the perfect apartment. I couldn't have done better myself! And Jennifer in payroll has gone above and beyond to make sure my hours and pay is exactly what it should be, no arguments. I'm already looking over what opportunities are available to me for my next assignment! California, Las Vegas, Florida, Boston? I'm having a great time ... this is exactly what I hoped travel nursing would be!

Cons

The pre-employment process took longer than I thought it would. Not a negative experience, but thorough. Be prepared to offer proof of immunizations, take an online test proving competency in your field, and fill out several forms. Expect about 10 days to two weeks to get this stuff pulled together before starting an assignment.

Great service, wonderful people to work with!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been looking for employment for several months and as other nurse recruiters in the beginning were actively touching base with me every so often, they have seem to have lost interest in finding me a job. But, Staci who lives in San Diego has stuck with me for the last couple of months, not "forgetting" about me and checking in with me as well as telling me about job opportunities at least once or twice every two weeks. She is awesome. And when Staci found me employment, then Tracelle took over with getting me all squared away with the forms I needed and is a very nice person. I look forward to having a long relationship with American Mobile with many opportunities for employment.

Cons

Really, can't think of one thing, honestly.

The Best Recruiters at American Mobile

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare

Pros

My recruiter is the absolute best. She has gone above and beyond to help me throughout the entire travel nursing experience. She continues to keep me updated on available positions and really looks out for my best interest in every way.

Cons

I left my secure job , home, and family, in North East Ohio to pursue a more financial, stable and exciting travel positon in Tucson, Arizona. The assignment cancelled after day 4 which left me in a terrible situation. The hospital reported "lack of work" when I attempted to apply for unemployment. American Moblile reported a "mismatch" of work skills. Either way, I was out of a job, unemployed, miles from home, and no where to turn. No other positions where available at the time in Arizona, so I drove to Calif, where I fortunately had family members , and to stay with while I awaited the processing of my California license. I was unemployed for over 2 1/2 months before I decided to head back to the east coast, where I found a position in DC. My California license took over 4 months to process.

After my first travel experience in Tucson, Arizona, I will never accept another position unless I am personally interviewed by the manager on the assigned unit. I was not interviewed by any staff from Tucson Medical Center before I was hired for the travel position. I cannot begin to tell you the hardship I experienced as a result. I quit my job, packed up my life, and headed to Tucson. After only the second day on the unit , my contract was cancelled. Additionally, I was told I would have two days of orientation on the floor. After one day, I was left on my own with a workload that was unacceptable, while other nurses sat on the computer on FB or did homework. The nursing staff I worked with was confused that the hospital had hired Travelers. The nurses told me there was not even enough work for them. Nurses were being cancelled and sent home due to lack of work. These comments led me to question why I was hired as a traveler and then cancelled from my contract so quickly.

American Mobile Healthcare Photos