American Mobile Healthcare

3.3
Susan Salka

Travel RN

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare full-time

Pros

Very flexible company in terms of finding assignments in your preferred work area. Recruiters are very helpful and willing to assist.

Cons

Getting in touch with a representative on the phone line can be very challenging to say the least due to long wait times.

Advice to Management

Improve telephone line experience by having more representatives available do wait times are not as long.

RN

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. A lot of opportunities in a variety of locations, flexible hours, recruiters are moderately helpful in assisting you

Cons

Doesn't stand behind their nurses

Travel Nurse

Pros

Worked really hard to get you your desired assignment in desired location. Great housing locations or you can take the stipend allowance.

Cons

Had a few issues with payroll where my housing stipend wasn't factored into my pay. This a separate department so your recruiter can't really fix any mistakes that are made. There were quick to correct the problem and will wire you the missing amount.

Telemetry or Step-down RN

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse

Pros

My recruiter Valorie is great, she is quick to get me out to hospitals in locations where I want to go. She matches me with the type of work I am specialized to do.

Cons

I have no cons to share.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management to share.

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Poplarville, MS
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Poplarville, MS

I have been working at American Mobile Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because of the size and age of this company they pretty much always have opportunities for you to work. For example if you are psych nurse it can be kind of hard to start traveling however if work with AMN they will always have spots open for you. I found them to be a good company with which to start my travel career as they seem to make the process simple enough.

Cons

They do not have competitive pay. They do not budge when it comes to contract negotiation, and you are just a number. Do not get me wrong my recruiter never called me and did not know my know or anything super impersonal however she did manage 60+ nurses which makes it hard for recruiters to be sure they keep up with the things you ask of them. Also as a new traveler if felt as though I was greatly taken advantage of. There is a lot to know before accepting your first travel assignment, I mean enough that we could turn it into a full fledge 10+ hour CEU - complete with competencies and knowledge tests. For everything you do not know you lose out on, and it seems to me this company makes a lot of money on new travelers who do not know or do not clearly understand about contract negotiation, and having bonuses rolled in to hourly pay, and asking for travel expenses which the company offers, or that the company does not pay you the full amount of mileage that the federal government says they should pay or more importantly about the fact that the nurse can be reimbursed more on there taxes because of that fact. If it was not for travelers convention and the inservices they gave I would still be in the dark.

Advice to Management

Since you guys are such a big company and you get the majority of the first time travelers how about you educate them on the things they can do, instead of exploiting their ignorance. If you remember that these are people that you are dealing with not cattle you guys would not get such a bad wrap when other travelers ask those burning questions, "What company are you with? Do you like them?" Personally, you guys should feel obligated to treat those new travelers well and educate them fully so the even if they leave the will leave and some other company will not benefit from their continued ignorance. More importantly if you do take the time to show you care about your nurses perhaps they will stay instead of you having to replace them.

Do not pay well, will cheat you out of money, do not really care

Former Employee - Travel Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Travel Registered Nurse

Pros

Multiple assignments to choose from

Cons

This company will quote you one rate and then change it the next day and say that the "hospital" is no longer paying it. They have an exclusive contract with one large hospital employer on the west coast and this hospital is just notorious for cancelling contracts mid way through or even before the traveler starts for no reason at all or just because "you're not a good fit" because you have a problem being floated to absolutely horrible floors and are bullied by aggressive staff all the time. They will take your bonuses from you and I have heard many other horror stories. Pay attention to AMN and all of its sister companies- who operate in the same fashion. They try to do damage control after its all said and done just to improve PR but what about taking care of the nurse while ON assignment with competitive pay?

Advice to Management

Dont nickle and dime your nurses. Become competitive with other companies and offer a great wage and benefits with housing that dosn't cost the traveler. Make it so that hospitals can't just cancel a nurse because they don't want to pay for him/her midway through the contract.

Lies, manipulation, and the worst pay! Run away from this company as fast as you can!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at American Mobile Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the amount of assignments which is probably because they pay so low so hospitals love them.

Cons

Every recruiter there sounds like a used car salesman. Pushy, fast talking to try and confuse you by saying 5 different things at once. Changing rates once you agree to a contract, not paying you holiday time because of a "majority rule" they claim to go by. Paying less than half of what other companies provide for travel reimbursement and housing stipends not to mention quoting you hundreds less in pay than other companies with the same exact assignment. They pro-rate everything so you never get what they quote you, not to mention deceitful wording in the contracts so they can deduct whatever they want from your pay. Did one assignment and learned my lesson. Don't work with this company unless you want to be taken advantage of and cheated out of money.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care because they're making money by cheating the people that bust their butts working for them while they sit in their comfy offices.

Good experience

Former Employee - Critical Care RN in Naples, FL
    Former Employee - Critical Care RN in Naples, FL

Pros

Flexible. Pick where you want to go.

Cons

Not finding the places you want to go.

10. American Mobile - Travel Nurse

Pros

Get to travel to different locations.

Cons

It seems like you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Treat nurses as individuals

American Mobile Healthcare Response

Feb 19, 2015 – Division Vice President, Travel Nurse Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with American Mobile. We values our travelers and strive to provide a positive and customer service-focused experience across every aspect of ... More

JUST NO - wish I could give zero stars

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING

Cons

I worked with two amazing agencies before coming to the dark side. I convinced myself it couldn't be as bad as everyone says. I was wrong. I chose to work with them because I was desperate to stay in my location and they were the only company with a contract. I am now on my second assignment and things are just as bad as when they began. Pay issues, insurance issues, miscommmunication, deceitfulness, etc. There are so many different employees woking at this comapny that when you actually have an issue, you have to talk to a million diffrent people before anything even begins to get resolved. And there is absolutely zero communication between employees. The nurse is always to blame when something goes wrong. If you want a company that treats you with zero respect and like you don't matter, then this is the company for you! Avoid them at all costs!

American Mobile Healthcare Response

Feb 19, 2015 – Division Vice President, Travel Nurse Recruitment

I am so sorry to hear you have been unhappy working with American Mobile. I would like to discuss this in more detail so that I can better understand the issues you have experienced and how we can ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed