American Modern Insurance

Manny Rios

Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at American Modern Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-works, having a cafeteria and workout facility on the property

Cons

some management, compensation is traditionally lower than other companies in the insurance industry.

Not the best and not the worst.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Amelia, OH
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Amelia, OH

I worked at American Modern Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company fosters good health by providing a great workout facility, nurse station (masseuse on Fridays), and a cafeteria that offers "ok" food. Coffee is free throughout the entire building which is also good. There's no clock to punch when coming and going which is also makes life easier. Simply come and do your job and go home. People for the most part are very friendly and many different nationalities are represented so the diversity is good.

Cons

I was tempted to give this 2 stars but I felt that it wouldn't be fair to the company as a whole for the actions of a small group of people. I was hired as a Network Engineer but the person(s) they has in charge of organizing my daily activities on what needed to be done was a nightmare. I hardly did anything related to my skills for several weeks into my contract. Management simply just "winged" it. A plan of action is paramount when bringing in contractors to help with additional work and they simply did not deliver. Although I did learn a few things from my experiences there, overall it was a waste of the company's time and mine for their lack of preparation. There's definitely room for improvement. Your experience may differ by the department. Good luck.

Get organized. Be proactive. Hire enough people so that you don't have to chase contractors when things go bad. Victims drowning in water can't save others who are also drowning.

Good company overall, but not much opportunity for managers to move into Sr. management.

Former Employee - Management in Amelia, OH
    Former Employee - Management in Amelia, OH

I worked at American Modern Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, competitive compensation, financially sound, excellent building/facilities, great people, involved in the community.

Cons

Not much room for advancement beyond middle management. They have good learning & development for lower level positions but not for managers wanting to get into Sr. level management positions.

Be more loyal to your top-producing associates who have been with the company a long time.

Architect

Former Employee - Architect in Amelia, OH
    Former Employee - Architect in Amelia, OH

I worked at American Modern Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work life balance

Cons

Management fails to reward right people

Good Company

I have been working at American Modern Insurance full-time

Pros

Interesting project, good culture, work life balance

Cons

Lean staffing model does make staffing project challenging at times.

nice and friendly environment; not as good for young tech professionals

Former Employee - Predictive Modeling Intern in Amelia, OH
    Former Employee - Predictive Modeling Intern in Amelia, OH

I worked at American Modern Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good work-life balance; nice and friendly working environment; low living cost at Ohio

Cons

many people are not open to new analytical methods; database administrating people work at low efficiency

AMIG started out as a good company but the company as it is now is unrecognizable from the company I started with.

Current Employee - Field Claims Adjuster in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Field Claims Adjuster in Orlando, FL

I have been working at American Modern Insurance (more than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of really good people working for the company.

There is hope that things could change for the better by making the workload more streamlined and realistic and the pay reflective of what is expected from employees.

Cons

I was required to use 4 different claims handling software/programs, most of which did not work reliably causing huge delays and the inability to find documents or information required to complete my job. My territory was massive, I was often driving 200-300 miles a day. All of these things combined resulted in long, frustrating work days and made it impossible to maintain a good level of customer service.

AMIG started a Independent Adjusting firm and instead of hiring staff for it just dumped all the claims onto the already heavily worked staff adjusters, doubling the work load with no increase in pay.

The pay is at the bottom end of the industry and the requirements much more burdensome than any other insurance company.

There is a huge disconnect between upper management and the reality of the job in the field.

Terrible working there.

Current Employee - Insurance Adjuster in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Adjuster in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Modern Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home with a company car.

Cons

The company works the adjusters like in a seat shop and doesn't pay them. The supervisors are not competent. HR does not tell the truth. They try to protect the company and neglect the employees.

Train the supervisor on how to deal with people

Overwhelmingly poor work-life balance. Entire claims hierarchy negatively affected by recent transition and addition of fee for service (SIS) sub-corporation.

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at American Modern Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are moderate. Since inception of Munich Re culture, the number of holidays (PTO) is elevated compared to most. Fantastic education program and reimbursement system for CE.

Cons

Work load is not feesable for any realm of claims. Unrealistic volume of claims that are handled from inception to completion. Poor performance by VP(S) in all facets of delivery in SIS venture. Company was and is I'll prepared to handle CAT with venture. Salary for all positions is below average, and no incentive provided for excess workload from SIS.

Managment does not utilize employees backgrounds and strengths. Promotions to those with tenure not skill must change. Utilize outside consultants for ventures and review of current corporate issues. Unfortunately AMIG must see a succession event soon to prevent further damage.

The culture and benefits are AMAZING! A great place to work and grow!

I have been working at American Modern Insurance

Pros

Culture, Benefits, Perks. Company has an in house nurse, cafeteria and gym with walking trail.

Cons

Management, growth. Its a company where management does not always understand what hourly employees are feeling.