American Museum of Natural History

Updated September 26, 2014
3.6

American Museum of Natural History President Ellen V. Futter
Ellen V. Futter

Pros
  • Its a fun environment to work in and there are quite a few perks (in 3 reviews)

• Their work/life balance in my experience was good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • the pay is not good, partly because it's a non-profit organization (in 4 reviews)

• I didn't like how there was no opportunities for career advancement within the museum as well (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding learning experience! Not necessarily a place you can make a career.

Former Employee - Assistant Director  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to work with very smart people in one of the most beloved institutions in the world.

Cons

Very little value placed on staff retention.

In the rare circumstances that staff are promoted, they should receive commensurate pay and benefits. Staff that are promoted from within seem to be paid less and valued less than outside hires.

They Get It, but Can't Make It Stick

Former Employee - Event Staff  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Event Staff in New York, NY

I worked at American Museum of Natural History as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Empowering staff members to bring their expertise to the table and collaborate on programs, events, employee engagement and membership campaigns to name a few. Growth potential opportunities exist, if you know how to play the game.

Cons

Too many politics, old guard afraid of risk and change to stay relevant in order to increase consumer traffic, revenue and staff morale.

Respect the history of the museum, but don't get stuck in the past when it comes to effective leadership, pro-active and creative employees and engagement.

For the self-aggrandizement of the elite who sit on the board (duh)

Former Employee - Head of Department
    Former Employee - Head of Department

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The collections, some research, and many staff are truly excellent; and it draws visitors from around the world.

Cons

The top admin is a satrapy of the New York elite; the museum president is the prime example (sitting on the boards of AIG, GSK, ConEd, etc.). The interior organization replicates that narrow mentality. Neo-liberalism is rampant; monetarism is the operating watchword and the main performance metric. The forward-looking programming that once characterized the museum has largely been replaced with Disneyfied nonsense.

Please leave.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No raises or upward mobility

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time

Pros

There are mostly good people there, very friendly. Working here will look good on your resume and provide you with some good connections. The high caliber of employees coupled with the turnover means you'll meet people going on to great places.

Cons

There is no benefit to really working hard here. Your efforts will not be rewarded. IF you get a cost of living increase it will be close to 2% - and that is IF. They send memo's letting everyone know that the increase for everyone will be across the board. Unless you get a title change you are not getting a raise. They hemorrhage good people.
    There is also no upward mobility. You basically have to wait for someone to retire.

Not providing cost of living increases in line with the index is akin to punishing people for hard work. You effectively make less money the longer you stay.
    Do you have a plan to retain good people?
    You must know that the mid level employees are the ones doing all the work that is rolled up to your directors. You have made yourself a great place to poach talent from. I've never worked at a place that was so adept at finding good people. I think your excellent human resources department has shielded you from a situation that would be disastrous for most other companies.
    Ellen is a great leader and highly intelligent. I can only guess this strategy is based on bad information, or she's willing to take the risks and losses for some perceived benefit to the company.

Glad to go.

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Thirty years ago it was an organization dedicated to scientific research. Currently there is nothing positive about working there. Over the years it became a research FARCE.

Cons

For the most part the dwindling number of researchers and worthless. The library is the last valuable resource there but it is just a matter of time

Get rid of the Ellen Futter without compensation! She has no idea of what a museum is about. As a result of her ignorance in Natural History, the museum has become a laughing stock of the sciences. She and the large number of non-science positions she created have turned the museum into a third rate Disneyland.

I found there was discrimination...within departments and throughout the museum

Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative

I worked at American Museum of Natural History part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about it was the actual museum itself. It is a stimulating environment & if the supervisors in your department liked you a cushy job.

Cons

If they did not like you -I was in Visitor Services- you went to the Coat Room (where money disappeared) & other duties where you were mysteriously left alone, when 2 people usually covered the area . If they truly disliked you, your money would be off (then suddenly found too late). That is how I got fired. FYI:: Leave the floor for any reason, lock your money P-E-R-I-O-D.

Diversify Departments More. There seems to be a tendency for a department to "look alike" . Maybe instead of trying t o hide bad reviews/comments- you should learn from them. you need to look into the reason many employees make 2 years and get fired.

A wonderful place that rewards self-starters.

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing stuff all around, very broad-thinking, interdisciplinary research being done.

Cons

Balkanized building structure limits fortuitous encounters with colleagues.

Allocate some social space shared by all museum staff, a la the Blackford Bar at CSHL.

Fun, but stressful at times.

Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative in New York, NY

I worked at American Museum of Natural History part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, great pay, fun environment, schedules flexible when I was there

Cons

Favoritism by supervisors, visitors can really be a pain and disrespectful

Should pay extra for learning and efficiently handling AGS, or advanced sales, needs to work on retaining employees; sometimes seems like a revolving door of workers

I found my experience at the museum to be excellent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the best things about the museum are the vacation and holiday schedules. Additionally, there is a camaraderie there that makes it a fun work environment. Their work/life balance in my experience was good.

Cons

Some of the issues that you will run into are common to non-profit environments. Sometimes the ability to move up is challenging. The fact that everything has to be approved by committees is also a factor in slowing down forward progress.

Nice place to work

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History as a contractor

Pros

Good environment to work. Office culture is nice.

Cons

Most of the jobs are contract basis.

American Museum of Natural History Photos

storage
American museum of natural history

+ Add Photo

Worked for American Museum of Natural History? Contribute to the Community!