American Museum of Natural History Reviews

Reset
3.2
American Museum of Natural History President Ellen V. Futter
Ellen V. Futter

Pros
  • Its a fun environment to work in and there are quite a few perks (in 3 reviews)

• Their work/life balance in my experience was good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Prevalent non-profit lack of urgency (in 4 reviews)

• There is no benefit to really working hard here (in 2 reviews)

1. Great Experience

I worked at American Museum of Natural History

Pros

I was a summer MEEP intern for the department of education and it was a once in a lifetime experience. Any college student interested in science or education should definitely apply.

Cons

There weren't any cons to the position, its a great part time job for a college student, it is a lot of work but definitely enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Management is fine as it, I found that the program is very well ran and effective as is.

2. Scientific Assistant

Current Employee - Scientific Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Scientific Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History

Pros

Interesting work, exposure to ongoing science and researchers in the field

Cons

severely underpaid, no promotion, no advancement or training or conferences etc to further your education and skill sets

Advice to Management

give staff more responsibility and advancement oportunities

3. Wonderful museum with some organizational issues

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time

Pros

- Museum is exciting and intellectually stimulating - Feel like you're making a difference to thousands of people every day and a real part of NYC's history - Surrounded by smart and motivated people

Cons

- Organizational issues in departments, especially in terms of communication - Revolving door for lower level employees especially - Lack of upward mobility

Advice to Management

- Continue to inspire lower level employees by listening to their feedback and making them feel appreciated - Consider adding more incentives for people to stay longer even if they don't get promotions or salary raises

Lower Level Employees treated okay

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time

Pros

Wonderful location and people. Convenient to get to. You'll make great connections

Cons

Your salary will stay flat. Only the higher ups get raises with title changes. There is no incentive to work harder because its not rewarded. The best thing to do is to get experience then leave.

Advice to Management

I guess management does not mind that their company is a revolving door and they are not trying to retain anyone for a length of time.

Ok

Current Employee - I Am Asked/3-D Digital Projectionist/Audiovisual Technician
    Current Employee - I Am Asked/3-D Digital Projectionist/Audiovisual Technician

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History

Pros

Great group of guys to work with him.

Cons

This job will never lead to a permanent position for me

7. Education department veteran

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing Museum, incredible resources, cutting edge science at your fingertips

Cons

Hugely political, lots of red tape, caters too much to funders, not visitor focussed.

Member Service Representative

I worked at American Museum of Natural History part-time

Pros

Free admission for family and friends and access to special events and behind the scenes

Cons

High demand, low compensation, lots of nepotism

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, offer better incentives to achieve sales goals

Wonderful institution, horribly managed

I worked at American Museum of Natural History full-time

Pros

One of the most beautiful places I have ever worked. People at my level of employment were genuinely talented, hard-working, and friendly. Just an awe-inspiring place to be any time of day.

Cons

Management is the reason people leave. It is just appallingly bad. No accountability, abusive language and behavior toward subordinates, serious lack of honesty and transparency.

Advice to Management

Get new middle managers. Seriously. You have a great staff who are brilliant and willing to go the distance, if they are led properly. But they are not.

I loved the museum - but working there was disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Museum of Natural History (More than 3 years)

Pros

This has to be one of the coolest workplaces in America. People are on the whole friendly with varied interests.

Cons

There are few to no opportunities for advance. The management would much rather look externally than promote from within. Internal politics at this place are insane. As the saying goes,,, The smaller the stakes, the more vicious the fights. The AMNH could be a leading voice on climate change and conservation issues, but instead chooses to focus on "Night at the Museum" sleepover packages and fundraising soirees under the Blue Whale. Also the museum has an enormous rat/mouse infestation! Ellen Futter's apartment is nice though. It was purchased for her by the AMNH for 5 Million in 2010. Wonder how much it's worth now.

Advice to Management

Change and rethink your mission. Try some new ideas. Ms. Futter should go.

Needs better sexual harassment training

I have been working at American Museum of Natural History full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of experiences I've had and people I've worked with have been wonderful.

Cons

I haven't had this problem at previous workplaces: there are a lot of socially awkward guys who think that because you are friendly and polite that you are a potential romantic partner. I want to make it clear that I haven't had anything really inappropriate happen to me. But being asked out by other employees during work hours (including a 2nd time by someone whom I had turned down previously) has made a place I loved working in uncomfortable when I have to cross paths with these people.

Advice to Management

More serious discussion of sexual harassment other than the dated video that is played for new employees. Yes, people do date at work, but it needs to be made clear that pursuing romantic relationships needs to be approached with extreme caution, and that "no" means that you need to stop your pursuit.

RSS Feed </> Embed