American National Bank of Texas

Updated January 14, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
2.7
Robert Hulsey

1. Small town bank devoted to their customers!

I worked at American National Bank of Texas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a small town bank so the atmosphere is just that...nothing to formal.
    Hours are wonderful if you are a full time employee in a banking center & not an in store branch
    They are willing to work with your school hours
    incentive is great (if you can obtain it)

Cons

Because it is a small town bank it is hard to advance as some employees have been there over 30+ years (great for the company, but not so great for new employees looking to further their careers).
    Changes happen a lot with little to no training you sink or swim

Advice to Management

Request more training for your employees and listen when they try and talk to.you about their concerns.

2. A very small town bank. The people make you feel like family...Until you stop working there - then you are dead to them.

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits were nice and their HR team was top notch. This was a place you actually went to lunch, I have worked anywhere that I could do that in 20 years.

Cons

I was paid well, but they paid the staff next to nothing. We had no one with any real depth of experience because they wouldn't pay for it. There were staff that were so unprofessional there, and no respect for management. We had an LOS that was run by an admin on mortgage cost center, her manager was over another department. He would not allow her to assist me in mortgage at all, causing the introduction on new investors in mortgage to fail because he would not allow her to work on it. It was a complete mess. We spent more time worrying about planning birthday and retirement parties than we did being in compliance.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to their board. You need to take a very real look at the senior management. Some were in over their heads, unprofessional, and undermined other managers in other departments. One intentionally scuttled the FHA/VA initiative by refusing to allow the technology piece to be developed. He told me from the beginning that sales would never take those loans in and we would be sitting pretty because we were ready to go and they dropped the ball. Then we could point the finger at sales when volume started to tank. When it backfired and sales did bring in the loans and he had not allowed me to get the technology ready, he pointed the finger of blame at me and cozied in with sales. Some of the senior managers are volatile, unpredictable, dishonest and a liability to the company.

3. Nobody listens to new ideas and use outdated technology.

Former Employee - Title Changed Too Often to Keep Up With IT
    Former Employee - Title Changed Too Often to Keep Up With IT

I worked at American National Bank of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are probably the only "pro" working here.

Cons

Low pay, they say that your job is to help the customer with their needs but, underneath it all it's about sales and they keep the incentives just out of reach. No standardized training just sink or swim. Customers are SPOILED in every way. As of two yeas ago raises have been taken away, corporate would rather spend hundreds of thousands on "parties" and golf tournaments.

Advice to Management

Wake up and actually listen to your front line employees. Tellers, Personal Bankers, Part-timers...

5. Top 100 places to work in DFW the last 5 years

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas

Pros

Great coworkers, fun place to work, great work/life balance (especially if you have kids), smaller bank with great customer service that customers love.

Cons

Pay, not a lot of room to move up, there is jo training facility so uou learn as you go basically.

6. Opportunity is limited and the same can be said for pay;furthermore, don't work here if you have bills or ambition.

Current Employee - Service Associate in Rockwall, TX
    Current Employee - Service Associate in Rockwall, TX

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people
    Family atmosphere
    Willing to work with school school schedule
    Community bank

Cons

Pay is not enough for everything they expect.
    Strong emphasis on sales;although, the incentives suck.
    As a part-time "service associate" you will never have a Saturday off.
    Pay is horribly low, opportunity is extremely limited, and procedures are irksome.
    I know people who have worked here for years and never had a promotion or a significant increase in pay, despite being adept in their jobs.

Advice to Management

The pay isn't enough for all the effort employees make.

7. good experience overall, but some issues with management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Terrell, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Terrell, TX

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas

Pros

great benefits, great company overall, community involvement

Cons

politics of management makes it difficult to advance.

Great starter company to work for.

Former Employee - Imaging in Terrell, TX
    Former Employee - Imaging in Terrell, TX

I worked at American National Bank of Texas

Pros

The company is beginning to grow and expand. The company tries to keep all employees current with all the upcoming news. They serve a very local company, so employees can get comfortable with that down home environment. They pay close attention to all the surrounding local events and give back. When upcoming events in town happening they allow their employees to have discounts. They offer good incentives depending on your department. Annual meetings are a way for employees can get to know other. They believe in their mission statement. They offer good banking benefits for your checking or saving accounts.

Cons

They didn't have good benefits. Training wasn't done in a timely manner. Other departments didn't manage well with other departments. Supervisors aren't the best to managing employees. Slow response in the HR. With all the community efforts they do try to break free from being a home town bank, they are slow to the growth in the banking industry. The pay for certain departments doesn't compare to rest of the job market. They are slow to recognize employees for their efforts and moving up the ladder is hard for some departments. They rather open new branches and fix those branches up instead of restructuring the bank as a whole from bank to the operations.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees. Listen to what they have to say.

Great place to learn and develop & great work/life balance.

I have been working at American National Bank of Texas

Pros

Great mentors that have a great deal of knowledge in their fields have helped myself and others I know here develop and take on larger roles. Upper management is very aware of the financial climate and prepares for those conditions, which makes you feel more secure about the future of the bank. Great work/life balance, management has always been willing to work with me when family issues arrise.

Cons

The bank is a small bank with a low turnover rate, so quick advacement (6 to 12 months), like you hear about at the larger banks, is rarely seen.

Advice to Management

The bank does a great job of training and mentoring employees in specific areas of banking, but I believe there would be a benefit to administer additional basic trainings in softwares used and banking's role in the economy to get a better grasp on the tools available and the big picture that the employee's roles at the bank play into.

10. This company care more about individuals who kiss up rather than those who come to work and do their job.

I worked at American National Bank of Texas

Pros

Community Involvement, Growing company, Good checking benefits for employees

Cons

No strong leadership, lots of favoritism, no room for advancement, poor HR department and untrustworthy, HR Manager would report everything to the Executives for browning points.

In my department their was no sense of team comradery, my manager was very manipulative she often praised and favored one particular employee in group meetings. She was horrible about addressing situations and walking into our department was miserable and it would just suck the life out of you.

Advice to Management

Invest in training and get a real training department not someone who half coordinates training.
    Pay attention to employee surveys/feedback and hold your managers accountable.