American National Insurance

51 reviews filtered by

1. Excellent Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very professional and top of the line training. The negative postings are by ex-employees. I don't know too many people that leave positive comments about an ex-employer. This is the best place that I have ever worked and in all honesty, you get what you put into it. If you don't put effort in, then your work experience reflects that.

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Upper management does not care at all about team members. They know how poorly their managers treat their team but don't do anything about it. HR is also aware of these managers and still do nothing about it.

I have been working at American National Insurance

Pros

Always plenty of open positions, great "vintage" atmosphere, yoga pants pass the dress code

Cons

HR policies don't apply to executives, expensive benefits, company culture, pay

3. Office Assistant

Current Employee - Office Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American National Insurance part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small fish in a big pond

Cons

Friendly working atmosphere, and clean conditions

Advice to Management

Management needs to update the system

Stable Employment

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Balanced work scheduled, those with more than 9 years have 25 days o PTO; therefore the 5 needed for sick time is taken care of. The company is a stable company.

Cons

Lack of communication from management. The pay is not competitive at all, senior management rip more benefits than the employees who do the actual work. For an insurance company the benefits are not great and premiums go up every year. Advancement in your career path can be a tedious journey. Systems are not sophisticated, sometimes high-end brings the quality performance desired.

Advice to Management

Consider how to actually motivate employee moral, provide benefits that match the premiums paid, pay employees what they are worth- wages should actually be competitive not just stated as is. Weed out management that is ineffective and detrimental to employee and company growth.

Not a bad company

I worked at American National Insurance

Pros

Once you start working there it's hard to leave. They are a very stable company. The best department is underwriting. The Senior Executive Officer is wonderful.

Cons

New management have taken over the Fiance area and it has turned into the worst operation in the company. Between fiance and credit avoid those two operations at all cost.

Advice to Management

Give promotions base on merits and not on whoever have blackmail pictures "CID".

Company is going under - FAST!

Former Employee - Claims in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Claims in Springfield, MO

I worked at American National Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy the people I work with and the work I completed.

Cons

Many company changes for the worst. Communication within the company is embarrassing. Management is lacking in all aspects. Claims is not a job I would seek.

Advice to Management

Ha! Management in claims is a joke. This company is very micro management based. There is no such thing has honesty or trust when it comes to manager at American National.

Lack of training

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time

Pros

37.5 is full-time which is nice.

Cons

There is no actual training. Work is just given to you and you are expected to figure it out (even if you are entry level). Pay is not as high as other companies.

It was a great learning experience.

Former Contractor - Insurance Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Insurance Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American National Insurance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the Agents and employees at home office were willing to help at a moments notice. The employees were very friendly.

Cons

The training process lacked accuracy. Some of the programs were outdated. I was thrown into the business with little knowledge of the company products and little training from my manager.

Advice to Management

Create a video or a training program that will allow the trainee to actually input information using the quoting systems. New agents are left to "figure it out for themselves".

Unprofessional, below grade for salary.

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One can be quickly promoted if beginning at an entry-level position, however there is glass ceiling, especially in the claims department. Paid time off is fair, as is the 37.5 work week.

Cons

Salaries are FAR below the industry standard in all departments. Leadership is severely lacking, especially in the claims department. There is no consistency in communication between management. Antiquated systems and applications hinder any productivity. There is a substantial amount of "carrot dangling" and other vague promises made which are rarely followed through on. Job training for all positions is lackluster, at best. In brief, this is a sinking ship. Caveat emptor!

Advice to Management

Pay people market value! Communicate better. Learn how to manage human beings. Train employees adequately.

Company is not what it seems

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time

Pros

starting out at the company you get more vacation time than you would at most places.

Cons

Lack vision, yet heavy politics. Arguments between departments. I saw good ratings for this company, but I suppose it depends on the department. If you are an accountant stay away. No longer get sick days. I suppose that is now considered "vacation time"
    Pay is lower than market.