American National Insurance Reviews

48 reviews filtered by

1. Office Assistant

Current Employee - Office Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at American National Insurance part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Small fish in a big pond

Cons

Friendly working atmosphere, and clean conditions

Management needs to update the system

Not a bad company

I worked at American National Insurance

Pros

Once you start working there it's hard to leave. They are a very stable company. The best department is underwriting. The Senior Executive Officer is wonderful.

Cons

New management have taken over the Fiance area and it has turned into the worst operation in the company. Between fiance and credit avoid those two operations at all cost.

Give promotions base on merits and not on whoever have blackmail pictures "CID".

Company is going under - FAST!

Former Employee - Claims in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Claims in Springfield, MO

I worked at American National Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy the people I work with and the work I completed.

Cons

Many company changes for the worst. Communication within the company is embarrassing. Management is lacking in all aspects. Claims is not a job I would seek.

Ha! Management in claims is a joke. This company is very micro management based. There is no such thing has honesty or trust when it comes to manager at American National.

It was a great learning experience.

Former Contractor - Insurance Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Insurance Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American National Insurance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the Agents and employees at home office were willing to help at a moments notice. The employees were very friendly.

Cons

The training process lacked accuracy. Some of the programs were outdated. I was thrown into the business with little knowledge of the company products and little training from my manager.

Create a video or a training program that will allow the trainee to actually input information using the quoting systems. New agents are left to "figure it out for themselves".

Lack of training

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time

Pros

37.5 is full-time which is nice.

Cons

There is no actual training. Work is just given to you and you are expected to figure it out (even if you are entry level). Pay is not as high as other companies.

Unprofessional, below grade for salary.

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One can be quickly promoted if beginning at an entry-level position, however there is glass ceiling, especially in the claims department. Paid time off is fair, as is the 37.5 work week.

Cons

Salaries are FAR below the industry standard in all departments. Leadership is severely lacking, especially in the claims department. There is no consistency in communication between management. Antiquated systems and applications hinder any productivity. There is a substantial amount of "carrot dangling" and other vague promises made which are rarely followed through on. Job training for all positions is lackluster, at best. In brief, this is a sinking ship. Caveat emptor!

Pay people market value! Communicate better. Learn how to manage human beings. Train employees adequately.

Company is not what it seems

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time

Pros

starting out at the company you get more vacation time than you would at most places.

Cons

Lack vision, yet heavy politics. Arguments between departments. I saw good ratings for this company, but I suppose it depends on the department. If you are an accountant stay away. No longer get sick days. I suppose that is now considered "vacation time"
    Pay is lower than market.

The company has a great training system & upper management is very involved in development of agent.

Current Employee - Multi Line Agent
    Current Employee - Multi Line Agent

I have been working at American National Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

American National values each and every new employee. The concern you receive concerning your pay is unbelievable. The truth is never concealed & although you may not like the answer, you do have the chance to speak your opinion. Your advance starts at week one, meaning in a week you will get a check.

Cons

The culture of the company seems to be, your input is appreciated but not valued until you have proved yourself. I believe Sales Managers could probably use additional training on how to communicate with people. They are very knowledgeable and able to train you to be successful, but sometimes lack fundamental people skills. IE customers are the life-blood of our business, but your agents are your conductors of the flow. Treat agents as customers & maybe get better results.

American National appears to be stuck in the 20th century sometimes. Top of the line field laptops with limited software capabilities. I would like to see more integration of systems. This is just my opinion,however I believe agent communication training would be helpful.

Great experience moving around the different departments

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Galveston, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Galveston, TX

I worked at American National Insurance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Its a very relaxing internship. You do not get over worked at all, in fact you are not allowed to have any overtime hours.

Cons

Some of the employees are a little strange and say some weird things in front of you.

Good company, no proper training

Former Contractor - Agent
    Former Contractor - Agent

I worked at American National Insurance as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good reputable company with lots of products to sell.

Cons

No product training. Only training available is sales training.

Please get back to training sales people on products and systems.