American Nurses Association

Updated February 25, 2015
2.1

Dr. Marla Weston

A good experience.

I have been working at American Nurses Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've had a good experience at ANA. Flexible schedule, wonderful co-workers, and interesting and engaging work.

Cons

There has been a lot of change in the years I've been at ANA. Retention is a big issue, likely due to non-competitive salaries and lack of opportunities for advancement in some departments/positions. It is a complex organization and there are A LOT of layers of management. Getting a project completed quickly can be a challenge for this reason. I do think there has been a genuine effort on behalf of ANA leadership to understand and address these issue and improve the efficiency of the organization as well as the work environment.

Consideration

Current Employee - CNA in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - CNA in Louisville, KY

I have been working at American Nurses Association part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has much work, but little employees.

Cons

The CEO and management level employees are not concerned about the entry level employees, they are only concerned in securing their job.

In order for your company to succeed the CEO and management must be considerate of the entry level employees.

Organization with good intention, but leadership still struggles.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at American Nurses Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mission focused, impacting policy and work environments for the profession. Fantastic Presidents that are elected to represent the organization (Patton, Daley, now Cipriano.)

Cons

Internally, the organization ping pongs on what it's focusing on. CEO. Tremendous turnover under Weston's leadership.

Be consistent across the entire organization. There are still silos within silos and subsidiaries.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Certifications in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Certifications in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at American Nurses Association

Pros

Relatively autonomous with a really good work-life balance. Clear Opportunities for career growth. The leadership invites the opinion of each member to contribute to the organization's goals.

Cons

There is a bit of bureaucracy in decision making which causes some projects to delay.

It's an OK place to work but as with most jobs, it depends on which department and supervisor you are under.

I have been working at American Nurses Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice benefits (thanks to the Union)
    Decent pay with at least COLA added every year.
    Good location
    Friendly staff

Cons

Projects are cluster #@*! due to one hand not knowing what the other is doing!
    IT dept is unorganized and unprofessional.
    Employee's voices are not heard by mgmt.

I think senior mgmt tries to make it a pleasant place to work, middle mgmt hasn't gotten the message.
    Get some training for your managers!
    Force every dept to make a dept road map available for its members. I have no idea what my dept's goals are for 2015 or next week for that matter!

ANA Has Lost Its Way--Sliding Ever Faster Toward Irrelevance Under Its Current Leadership

Former Employee - Program Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at American Nurses Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location is excellent and convenient to Washington, DC. Building is pretty nice, and Silver Spring is a pleasant, diverse little place to work with an international flavor.

Cons

The CEO and COO care about each other but not about the organization, its membership, its employees, or its future. They have no vision for what it means to be a professional association in the 21st century, and they have been steadily running the organization into the ground--waste, bad ideas and decisions, good ideas that never come to fruition high employee turnover, promoting the wrong people, kicking good people to the curb. Under current leadership, ANA has cemented a culture of fear, apathy, and low engagement. Employees are aware that the place is on a downward slide and leave in ever growing numbers. The ANA as a professional association has become obsolete and irrelevant under Weston's direction.

The member-elected board can do something about the very negative trends at ANA by making some material changes in the leadership. It is a shame that the nation's oldest organization representing the interests of nurses is irrelevant to the very group it serves. Please wake up and do something about this. It is not too late, but it will take a courageous board to make it happen.

Absolute worst places I have worked for in 25 plus years. Stay away!!!

Current Employee - Mid Level in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Mid Level in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at American Nurses Association

Pros

Location and lots of free food.

Cons

Horrible Management is going to be the absolute demise of this association and all that many great nurses have accomplished. This place is a disgrace to the Nursing community. Our HR Department has been wiped out like 3 times in the past 3 years. They fire them all or more recently they all quit, yes 4 out of 6 HR Employees all quit within a 10 day timeframe. Now if they won't even stay, that says A LOT. Word is Leadership blames HR for continued awful results of the constant surveys and refuse to look at themselves as the real problem. Turnover is atrocious. Within 5 months I saw over seven promotions of Sr. Management but the mid level employees are grossly underpaid and overworked and definitely not getting promoted. There is no career advancement for Jr. and Mid level employees. Managers actually complain if they find out their employee is trying to transfer. Getting sick is guaranteed but you better not think of taking time off to heal because you are expected to get that work done regardless. Bullying behavior is ignored and very much tolerated, almost encouraged. I see many other reviews have mentioned bullying because it really is a HUGE issue. Disrespect is a norm and employees are treated like crap or completely ignored by Managers and the Leadership team. There is no incentive to go above and beyond because raises are the exact same for everyone (except Mgmt of course, they get very high bonuses). There is no reward or awards program, nothing to encourage morale. You are ridiculously overworked and unappreciated at this place. Union grievances and lawsuits are frequent. The majority of people at this place lack integrity, morals and genuine kindness. If you have it when you start working here, it is quickly tested and tainted. A paycheck is almost the only good thing about working here.

°LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES!
    °Stop paying Consultants to tell you whats wrong only to ignore the fact that all points to Leadership.
    °Reward employees for exceptional work.
    °Address bullying complaints.
    °Require all Managers to take Manager training.
    °Allow employees to be sick without reprimand for unfinished work due to illness, death or othet emergencies.
    °Show respect to ALL employees and demand all Mgmt do the same.
    °Implement a policy for inappropriate behavior that include repercussions.
    °Enter this century and welcome change. °Guess what? The problem is you!!! Require all Management do some SERIOUS self reflection.

Would not recommend to my worse enemy...

Pros

Great location, decent benefits and free food practically every week (expect to put on some pounds).

Cons

Where do I begin...first of all, do not let the fact that this is a nursing association fool you. Although there are plenty of nurses working here, do NOT expect an ounce of humanity or compassion from anyone. Some of the people I have encountered here are the most arrogant, condescending, petty, entitled, narcissistic individuals I have ever met. If you ask for help with anything you are seen as incompetent and will more than likely be yelled/cussed at. Yes, people are known to cuss and yell at you. There are specific employees and managers that are infamous for bullying and they are never reprimanded for it. Not only is bullying tolerated, it is encouraged! Many employees feel that they need to be rude and condescending in order to gain respect and recognition...and they really do. The fact that the only people who seem to do well in this company are bullies prove it. To keep specific employees who are known to bully and intimidate others continuously is unacceptable. If multiple employees are constantly complaining about one person bullying, displaying unprofessional behavior and being downright disrespectful, why would you think it is conducive to the success of the company to keep said employee? Oh I guess it's because ANA only cares about the work being completed. Forget anything you knew about a good work ethic or morals, just get the work done and get it done yesterday!! Also, do not expect anyone to take responsibility for anything they do. This company invented the blame game. Everyone is in such fear of getting fired all the time that they are afraid to take responsibility for even the tiniest mistake. Human error is not tolerated here. This place is run like a hospital...one grammar mistake and the world ends. Consider yourself lucky if you have a manager that doesn't throw you under the bus every other day. There are quite a few that are infamous for this behavior as well. And do NOT look to anyone in the leadership team for help. Managers don't know how to manage and the leadership team does not know how to lead. I am willing to bet that they are the ones encouraging this messed up culture. Don't expect them to care about anything that is going on with the staff because they are too busy patting each other on the back. "You have a family member that died? Oh, sorry, well...I need you to run this report for me and make sure to check your email while on bereavment leave." Yes, this really happened. Unless you are a director or above do not expect any of your work to be recognized or appreciated. We don't do increases for good performance (unless you are director or above) and we DEFINITELY don't say "thank you" or "good job" to staff, ESPECIALLY not in public. Basically, if you want to thanked, be the CEO. The COO will be sure to pat the CEO's back at any occasion given that is probably what she's paid to do.

Sick day? What's a sick day?! I've known employees who were threatened to be fired for being sick and having to use some sick time. How is one supposed to get better if they are not actually allowed to use a sick day that they earned?! "Oh, she has the flu?? Well, she better be checking her email." YES, again, this is a conversation I overheard. That probably explains why illness is so rampant in these parts. Work life balance? What's that?! Oh, it must be that thing that the CEO is always talking about to save face but never actually doing anything about. I knew an employee that rescheduled her entire wedding in order to go to some conference for chrissake! I can't believe this place isn't being investigated!! It needs it's own reality show. It's certainly superifical enough, everything is for show and so disappointingly disingenuous. Here's a thought, if you want to have a meeting about improving work-life balance then why don't you set a plan of action to improve it?! Don't waste employees time having this bogus meeting about how you want to improve work life balance and then tell them "oh, by the way, even though I've taken away all telework days I want you to start bringing your laptops home anyway in case of weather closures because even though ANA is closed we still have work to be done!!" Also, expect to work on weekends and you might as well not use a vacation day because you'll probably be stuck on your email the whole time anyway. I haven't encountered one single employee that is not looking for a new place to work. This place is downright unhealthy and for a nurses association that is unacceptable!! I've seen this place change people. A new employee will come in with the most positive attitude and excitement but wait a year or so and they are the ones bullying you and throwing you under the bus. I've heard so many people say that if you have good morals and a good hearted nature then this is not the place for you. I figure that's why so many people feel like they have to become a tyrant to succeed here.

Also, don't bother completing any bogus surveys that they send out because NOTHING will be done about it. Pretty sure the CEO doesn't even bother reading them. If she did, the results would be impossible to ignore and I suppose we wouldn't be getting the same results year after year, no? I mean if she really read the survey then I suppose action would be taken to improve the culture, right? It's unfortunate because ANA has a lot of potential and talent..they have "some" great employees but they are being driven away because the culture is so backwards. I have to say the cons outweigh the pros on this one. Unless the leadership team takes action and actually wants to do something about the survey results then they are going to miss out on some incredible talent. Employees are literally BEGGING for change and yet ANA remains stagnant. Considering the ridiculous turnover rate and the extremely low moral, I'd rather just assume that the survey is not being read instead of facing the fact that we have a CEO that flat out does not care about her employees.

Try taking the survey results seriously. Also, take time out to SELF-REFLECT on how you treat your own direct staff. This bullying culture deifnitely trickles down from somewhere. It might hurt to recognize it but once you do, you can start improving it! Address the REAL issues. Everything you need to know is in the survey. Show some appreciation for the staff that is getting all of the work done! The managers and directors are not the only individuals deserving of praise. Say "hello" to your employees when you see them in the hallway....make an attempt to me more personable and show them that you don't think you are "above" them.

A good working environment

Current Employee - Certification in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Certification in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at American Nurses Association

Pros

Employees allowed to exercise innovation in their roles and contentiously suggest how the company can be better improved

Cons

A lot of unplanned projects that throw regular projects into dissaray

Put in place a more structured idea generation and execution policy

Horrible, just horrible....

Current Employee - Exempt Level Professional
    Current Employee - Exempt Level Professional

Pros

The best reasons to work for ANA would be the health insurance benefits and my immediate supervisor. There is nothing much else good about this place.

Cons

There are truly too many to mention, but here they are:

1. Bullying is an accepted form of behavior here. It starts at the top and filters down through all levels of management. It's tolerated, if not encouraged.

2. Work/life balance is spoken about, but not truly embraced. Employees are expected to work weekends, holidays, when they're out sick, and during funerals to respond to emails and get the job done.

3. Promises are made and not kept. This could be somethign personal with a supervisor, or something that was written and igmored.

4. Employee satisfaction surveys are done each year, and employee concerns are not addressed and/or ignored.

5. There are too many managers and not enough worker-bees to get the job done.

6. Each department/employee is looking to point the finger at another department or employee. There is only an atmosphere of blame and not one of collaboration to say, "How can we work together to get this job done?"

7. Employee moral is very low.

Please, please, please listen to your employees and address the concerns indicated on the employee satisfaction survey. Do not allow workplace bullies and practice that at the top, too. If you are saying you care about your employees, show it, do not take things away, make empty promises and allow finger pointing and bullying.