American Payroll Association

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Daniel Maddux

1. I really enjoy how this company cares for its employees.

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is so supportive and helpful for improving skills. Compensation is good and great to see that great work performance is acknowledged and rewarded. Opportunities are available to grow in the company. Amenities such as beverages, fitness center and classes are available.

Cons

Some moments of stress due to jobs stacking on top of each other, miscommunication or by deadlines being pressed.

Advice to Management

Continue having great communication with your employees, encourage their work and help them improve their skills with constructive and positive criticism. Be a "DO-er" and not just a "TALK-er", meaning to participate with and help out your employee if needed to help boost moral and manager-employee relationship.

2. Dream job to start, but the cons started to outweigh the pros after several years. Egos definitely got in the way.

Former Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Middle Management in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits and salary. Great inter-office experiences and support, as well as multiple travel opportunities and excellent interaction with members of the association. "Congress", though stressful, always the highlight of the year. Great vacation and leave policies, as well as yearly salary increases truly based on actual performance and not on seniority or favoritism.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a bit skewed and quite demanding for middle management. Some exempt employees are expected to pull off miracles after months and months of planning for certain events. Lots of upper management dropping the ball to be picked up at the last minute by middle management which often resulted in cost overruns which could have been easily projected had the upper management personnel been tuned in and paying attention. Lots of wasteful spending on certain "creature comforts" for upper management.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees are people too, and not just another person who gets a weekly paycheck. Engage and TRULY listen.

An interesting company, to say the least...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good name recognition amongst payroll and tax professionals; standard work hours - if you could afford it, you could maintain a good work-life balance

Cons

If you are not a sales-oriented individual, it could be difficult to get into the spirit with regards to their annual APA Congress. Also, nearly all employees are older people who are content at their roles (not evident that they were interested in career advancement or change) and there is little room for advancement. Not sure what the average pay is for similar education non-profits, but salaries and bonuses were shockingly low (even for my entry level position). Lots of gossiping about fellow employees and their personal lives (possibly due to the small number of employees).

Advice to Management

Pay more and recruit more lively people who are interested in making the work enivornment more stimulating.

Stay away from APA!

I worked at American Payroll Association

Pros

APA is very generous with their benefits package. Medical and other insurances are very good.

Cons

Some members of senior staff are very set in their ways and unable to change with the times. In short, those particular individuals are unqualified. Pay is also low.

Advice to Management

Bring in new higher level talent with new ideas. They current group is stale with no vision.

Sep 5, 2014 – Human Resources Manager

We agree, APA does offer a very generous benefits package! We also believe pay levels are on a par with industry norms, (and are even generous when you factor in annual bonuses, generous employer ... More

6. Pleasantly Surprised!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The benefits are OUTSTANDING, coming from a different company to APA reduced my insurance deduction by about $300 (Saving me $600+ a month) that is only the medical. The company has offered me PAID Short and Long Term disability insurance as well as Life Insurance.... To me these benefits FAR EXCEED my expectations. I have observed that to succeed at APA you absolutely have to work hard, this isn't they type of company where you can "float by." Great Work-Life balance, beautiful building to work in every day, catered lunches are served a couple times a week, paid downtown parking, free drink bar (sodas, coffee, tea). I love my boss- gives clear directions and expectations are clear as well.

Cons

I don't have any Con's. Other than regular challenges that you might encounter at any company or any job that requires you to work with others.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great benefit offerings and thanks for understanding that work-life balance is so important to us!

Sep 5, 2014 – Human Resources Manager

Wow! We are glad you are on our team and thanks for the comment (we are blushing over here).

7. The experience at APA has been challenging yet rewarding!

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time

Pros

The best reason to work at APA is that majority of the colleagues I work with look for innovation and new ideas that allow for growth. Your ideas are listened too and honest feedback is given with no repercussions. On a personal level, I have acquired a higher degree in my industry. Within the APA, I am in a role that allows me to use this degree and bring my talent and skill sets to the table. In addition, my talent and skill sets are respected and I am challenged everyday in responsibility I did not know was in the scope of my role...that is GREAT! It is also refreshing to see APA listening to employees regarding technology and looking at new tools to help us be more efficient.

Cons

The main challenge is the aging culture and not solely based on age. The culture of change has not been implemented well within certain department and colleagues that have been with APA for quite some time have a harder time "seeing the ROI of change.” This can be a big barrier considering all parts are needed to implement anything new especially to keep APA relevant and thriving!

Advice to Management

A few departments appear they are ran with the "management silo mentality" with no processes or procedures documented for others to follow. We must look at process and procedures to help increase efficiency, reduce redundancy, and create a consistent message of how things are completed with in the association. Create a culture of change and ensure that everyone is on board and understands the consequences of poor attitude, not willing to work as a team, and lack of urgency.

Jul 9, 2014 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your honest review! We love hearing from our employees! It is our hope that with the new Aptify system we are currently implementing APA will be able to carefully assess our processes ... More

A very mediocre workplace that will bore you to tears

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful building. Good close parking as long as you get there early enough. Unless you are a workaholic, pretty good place for work-life balance. Some senior directors great to work for and with! Good benefits.

Cons

Very low pay and very limited opportunities for advancement. Many departments seem too content to maintain a "but this is how we've always done it" attitude. Many employees are very clique-ish. HR support was disappointing because I never felt comfortable about filing a complaint against another employee who was routinely abusive over emails.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to pay your employees better. The salaries are just laughable. Don't be so afraid to try new things. Find a way to fix the culture of procrastination.

9. Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has taken my skill sets and put them to work. I have taken my leadership skills to the next level and enjoy the culture of learning and personal accountability. APA is very strong when it comes to appreciating different generational groups and I enjoy being able to work with Boomers, GenXers, and Millenials. Leadership understands the value of each group and how it can continue building a strong and engaging workplace. The benefits at APA are the best I have every had. You can tell leadership really cares about their employees and want them to be healthy and happy.

Cons

None come to mind.

Advice to Management

You are on the right track! APA is a great and fun place to work thanks to your leadership and vision.

Good employer, advancement opportunities, nice benefits

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A fun and rewarding workplace. I'm constantly challenged with new and different projects. The benefits are good including a high quality health care plan, SEP retirement plan fully funded by the employer, 401(k). Vacation time is generous. Workplace flexibility is a common practice with many telecommuters on staff. The environment is professional, yet fun.

Cons

Working downtown can be challenging, although free parking is provided. The workload can sometimes be overwhelming.

Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

Pros

Lots of opportunities to try your hand at many different things. I've seen hard work and loyalty rewarded here. Good benefits, salaries pretty standard for the nonprofit sector (slightly low). Free soda. Free coffee. Nice people. Free parking in downtown San Antonio. Opportunities for advancement, some of the managers started out as hourly employees, and some of the directors started out as managers.

Cons

Some standard back-stabbing and rumor mill activity, but that happens everywhere. They could use an upgrade to their computer systems. Too many meetings, not enough clear communication.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent that's already in the ranks. Take a long-term view. Keep benefits up to high standard.

RSS Feed </> Embed