American Payroll Association

Daniel Maddux

Pleasantly Surprised!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are OUTSTANDING, coming from a different company to APA reduced my insurance deduction by about $300 (Saving me $600+ a month) that is only the medical. The company has offered me PAID Short and Long Term disability insurance as well as Life Insurance.... To me these benefits FAR EXCEED my expectations. I have observed that to succeed at APA you absolutely have to work hard, this isn't they type of company where you can "float by." Great Work-Life balance, beautiful building to work in every day, catered lunches are served a couple times a week, paid downtown parking, free drink bar (sodas, coffee, tea). I love my boss- gives clear directions and expectations are clear as well.

Cons

I don't have any Con's. Other than regular challenges that you might encounter at any company or any job that requires you to work with others.

Keep up the great benefit offerings and thanks for understanding that work-life balance is so important to us!

Sep 5, 2014Human Resources Manager

Wow! We are glad you are on our team and thanks for the comment (we are blushing over here).

Stay away from APA!

I worked at American Payroll Association

Pros

APA is very generous with their benefits package. Medical and other insurances are very good.

Cons

Some members of senior staff are very set in their ways and unable to change with the times. In short, those particular individuals are unqualified. Pay is also low.

Bring in new higher level talent with new ideas. They current group is stale with no vision.

Sep 5, 2014Human Resources Manager

We agree, APA does offer a very generous benefits package! We also believe pay levels are on a par with industry norms, (and are even generous when you factor in annual bonuses, generous employer ... More

The experience at APA has been challenging yet rewarding!

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time

Pros

The best reason to work at APA is that majority of the colleagues I work with look for innovation and new ideas that allow for growth. Your ideas are listened too and honest feedback is given with no repercussions. On a personal level, I have acquired a higher degree in my industry. Within the APA, I am in a role that allows me to use this degree and bring my talent and skill sets to the table. In addition, my talent and skill sets are respected and I am challenged everyday in responsibility I did not know was in the scope of my role...that is GREAT! It is also refreshing to see APA listening to employees regarding technology and looking at new tools to help us be more efficient.

Cons

The main challenge is the aging culture and not solely based on age. The culture of change has not been implemented well within certain department and colleagues that have been with APA for quite some time have a harder time "seeing the ROI of change.” This can be a big barrier considering all parts are needed to implement anything new especially to keep APA relevant and thriving!

A few departments appear they are ran with the "management silo mentality" with no processes or procedures documented for others to follow. We must look at process and procedures to help increase efficiency, reduce redundancy, and create a consistent message of how things are completed with in the association. Create a culture of change and ensure that everyone is on board and understands the consequences of poor attitude, not willing to work as a team, and lack of urgency.

Jul 9, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your honest review! We love hearing from our employees! It is our hope that with the new Aptify system we are currently implementing APA will be able to carefully assess our processes ... More

A very mediocre workplace that will bore you to tears

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful building. Good close parking as long as you get there early enough. Unless you are a workaholic, pretty good place for work-life balance. Some senior directors great to work for and with! Good benefits.

Cons

Very low pay and very limited opportunities for advancement. Many departments seem too content to maintain a "but this is how we've always done it" attitude. Many employees are very clique-ish. HR support was disappointing because I never felt comfortable about filing a complaint against another employee who was routinely abusive over emails.

Figure out how to pay your employees better. The salaries are just laughable. Don't be so afraid to try new things. Find a way to fix the culture of procrastination.

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has taken my skill sets and put them to work. I have taken my leadership skills to the next level and enjoy the culture of learning and personal accountability.

APA is very strong when it comes to appreciating different generational groups and I enjoy being able to work with Boomers, GenXers, and Millenials. Leadership understands the value of each group and how it can continue building a strong and engaging workplace.

The benefits at APA are the best I have every had. You can tell leadership really cares about their employees and want them to be healthy and happy.

Cons

None come to mind.

You are on the right track! APA is a great and fun place to work thanks to your leadership and vision.

Good employer, advancement opportunities, nice benefits

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Payroll Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A fun and rewarding workplace. I'm constantly challenged with new and different projects. The benefits are good including a high quality health care plan, SEP retirement plan fully funded by the employer, 401(k). Vacation time is generous. Workplace flexibility is a common practice with many telecommuters on staff. The environment is professional, yet fun.

Cons

Working downtown can be challenging, although free parking is provided. The workload can sometimes be overwhelming.

Great Opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

Pros

Lots of opportunities to try your hand at many different things. I've seen hard work and loyalty rewarded here. Good benefits, salaries pretty standard for the nonprofit sector (slightly low). Free soda. Free coffee. Nice people. Free parking in downtown San Antonio. Opportunities for advancement, some of the managers started out as hourly employees, and some of the directors started out as managers.

Cons

Some standard back-stabbing and rumor mill activity, but that happens everywhere. They could use an upgrade to their computer systems. Too many meetings, not enough clear communication.

Recognize talent that's already in the ranks. Take a long-term view. Keep benefits up to high standard.

Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Antonio, TX

Pros

It's both rewarding and challenging to work for APA. I'm thrilled to be surrounded by professional colleagues who share the same passion for providing high-quality work and top-notch customer service to our members/customers. Great benefits, including free parking downtown, 401(k) AND a SEP plan.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Keep up the great work.

Do not work at this horrible place

I worked at American Payroll Association

Pros

I can't think of anything good about this place

Cons

The people are very rude and immature. The managers in the communications "department" are completely incompetent and childish.

Get rid of your ineffective managers, who are "dead inside"

May 6, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your comments. Please consider that APA won the “San Antonio Express-News Top Workplaces” in 2012 and 2013. This honor was presented to APA based upon current employee satisfaction ... More

Watch your back.

Former Employee - Upper Management in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Upper Management in San Antonio, TX

I worked at American Payroll Association

Pros

The physical surroundings are nice. You work in a nice (white elephant) building where attention was paid to many overall details. Too bad attention isn't paid to the people IN the building. Parking provided onsite. Nice cafeteria area.

Cons

Working like a dog with little praise and no respect. HR in this company is a nightmare. The wrong people constantly get promoted, but most soon either burn out or are asked to leave because they don't "fit in" anymore.

Remember the "Golden Rule" - do unto others... And remember, Karma is a powerful thing.

May 6, 2014Human Resources Manager

We appreciate your candor and feel it is important to address your concerns with an open mind. So we are going to allow our current employees to reply, "I work with a team of very professional and ... More

American Payroll Association Photos