American Planning Association

American Planning Association Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul Farmer

Entry level position and learned a lot about a corporate enviornement

Accountant I (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Planning Association

ProsFlexible with time off and benefits are great! A lot of room to learn and grow mentally and in your position but not compensated for it.

ConsManagement will tell you they will do one thing, but never actually follow thru. Communication is horrible, especially within accounting, and the director that is in charge is horrible and indecisive. It is a decent job for a year or so and if you are at the beginning of your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees fairly and compensate and recognize them for their accomplishments.

Low morale, open seated seating, no privacy, not inspirational or enjoyable to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Planning Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros35-hour work week. It was a check. Not much else good to say about it.

ConsLow morale, not a good culture, lot of disgruntled employers, lack of guidance, no privacy, boring and uninspiring place to work.

An experience where you learn about how a non profit works. No direction or organization within the company.

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Planning Association

ProsEnjoy working with my co workers and direct manager. The times are flexible overall with taking time off and if u have to leave early. Overall it's a casual environment.

ConsManagement expects you to do things that try have seen or done before. Even if it's not your job function they ask questions to the wrong people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo expect only of what can be done by management. And a key rule of thumb to lead by example which is necessary for any management position.

Stagnant company, no room from growth

I have been working at American Planning Association

ProsNon-profit. Easy going atmosphere. Everyone is very approachable and helpful. It is impossible to be fired unless you are trying. Low expectations of most people. There is a pension available if you stay long enough. 5+ year to be vested.

ConsThere is absolutely no room for growth. The company is full of people who have been there for more than a decade. Pay rates and benefits are atrociously outdated and completely uncompetitive. This place thrives on bottom feeders, people who have no drive and are completely content to do the same thing every day for the rest of their lives with no chance for advancement. Raises are practically unheard of. Once every few years there is a cost of living adjustment which is paltry and blatantly insulting.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut 30% of the staff and spread the wealth to the ones who still have a pulse!

Not many opportunities to grow and advance. Interns are disposable

Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at American Planning Association

ProsGood on your CV.
Experience and how much you learn depends on who the manager is.

ConsNot many opportunities to advance

Mediocre company, at best.

I have been working at American Planning Association

Prosthe people you work with are wonderful. the work environment is relaxed most of the time.

ConsThe compensation is very sub par, as are advancement opportunities. There is also a great deal of favoritism in hiring and promotions. Also, the benefits are all less than impressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so Arrogant.

Stable job, micro managed, low pay but good work-life balance

Program Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at American Planning Association

ProsYou can mostly count on a regular work day of only 7 hours. This is a good company for parents, as there is a policy about parents being able to take time off for school activities. Plus, good amount of time off in general. Great location in downtown DC and Chicago. Great opportunities for professional development--as staff is encouraged to attend all APA educational opportunities.

ConsCEO is big on micro-management, which makes doing your job very difficult. At the same time, I think APA is doing pretty well under his leadership. So while the organization is doing well, from a worker standpoint I wouldn't want to work under those conditions. Also, very limited possibilities for growth. Salaries aren't that great. If you search for APA Form 990 on the internet, you'll see that upper managment make a lot, but the rest of us are barely competitive. As such, there's a lot of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementLimit the micro-mangagement to tasks that really matter. Up those salaries to remain competitive.

Worked for American Planning Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Planning Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Planning Association CEO Paul Farmer. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by American Planning Association employees.