American Public Media Group

American Public Media Group Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great people but work was ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI got to work on some great projects that you normally wouldn't work on at other companies. My colleagues were also laid back, easy-going, and generally intelligent about what they were doing. Not only that, work-life balance was great - I always managed to leave the office at 5 and rarely had to stay later than that. It was also nice to see how public radio works from the inside and how things were done in a journalistic-focused office.

ConsLittle upward mobility and pay is on the average side of the scale. Sometimes there was little direction on projects and you were left to figure out things for yourself or drag out what you were working on to seem busy. It can be a steady environment, which may not be bad for some, but for others who like working on multiple projects at a time (like me) it can seem a bit dull. Also, I felt like I didn't utilize my skill set while here and when I did the things I worked on ended up being changed or scrapped.

Internship: Nice People, and Lots of Hands-on experience

Intern (Former Employee)

Pros- Great working environment, Intelligent staffers and generally good work-life balance
    - Lots of opportunity to get out and work on stories
    - Good place to work at if you are serious about radio

Cons- A fair share of menial work, as expected in other places
    - Very little upward mobility. Interns rarely get hired.
    - Managers can be hands off at times, and so interns do get underutilized for their time

Little opportunity for career advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMission - public service, talented colleagues

ConsLimited career growth opportunities available

Worked for American Public Media Group? Contribute to the Community!