American Public Media Group

Reset
3.5
CEO

1. Senior Vice President

Pros

Exciting environment with top talent and dynamic leadership. Many opportunities to learn and diversity experience.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and never forget your roots.

2. Great work-life balance, talented people

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at American Public Media Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of long hours here - management realizes that you have a life outside of work. Sometimes they offer good educational opportunities. The encourage growth from within. Decent pay for a non-profit. Employs a lot of extremely talented and interesting people.

Cons

They run a lean ship and it sometimes takes a lot longer than it should to get things done.

3. Great people but work was ok

I worked at American Public Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to work on some great projects that you normally wouldn't work on at other companies. My colleagues were also laid back, easy-going, and generally intelligent about what they were doing. Not only that, work-life balance was great - I always managed to leave the office at 5 and rarely had to stay later than that. It was also nice to see how public radio works from the inside and how things were done in a journalistic-focused office.

Cons

Little upward mobility and pay is on the average side of the scale. Sometimes there was little direction on projects and you were left to figure out things for yourself or drag out what you were working on to seem busy. It can be a steady environment, which may not be bad for some, but for others who like working on multiple projects at a time (like me) it can seem a bit dull. Also, I felt like I didn't utilize my skill set while here and when I did the things I worked on ended up being changed or scrapped.

5. Internship: Nice People, and Lots of Hands-on experience

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at American Public Media Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great working environment, Intelligent staffers and generally good work-life balance - Lots of opportunity to get out and work on stories - Good place to work at if you are serious about radio

Cons

- A fair share of menial work, as expected in other places - Very little upward mobility. Interns rarely get hired. - Managers can be hands off at times, and so interns do get underutilized for their time

Little opportunity for career advancement

Pros

Mission - public service, talented colleagues

Cons

Limited career growth opportunities available

RSS Feed </> Embed