American Public University System

Updated December 3, 2014

Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Good place to work

I have been working at American Public University System

Pros

If you live in the local Charles Town/Martinsburg area, this company offers good pay and benefits for the area. If you live closer to DC area and commute, pay is average. I think the vacation time and paid holidays are generous. Office buildings in CT are new, modern, and clean.

Cons

Some departments have better managers/culture than others

Used to be a great company

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Telecommuting highly encouraged
    Most teams are thriving with great leaders that care
    Nice staff
    Education assistance program

Cons

Some executive team members are not working together and their VPs are aware but do a good job ignoring it or covering it up.
    Some supervisors lack leadership abilities and leave their managers to do their work.
    Staff does not feel comfortable addressing the issues.

Some supervisors need to step out of their comfort zone so they can actually know their employees and encourage them to grow. Employees agree there is a lack of leadership but they do not feel comfortable addressing the issue. They talk about how other teams flourish and wonder what makes them a good cohesive team but it is easy to see that those supervisors actually care and take the time to know and develop their employees. Also, they probably don't wait until the end of the year to discuss performance. Most likely, they interact with their employees throughout the year and address the good with the bad so they are rewarded with loyal employees. Lastly, leadership should take the time to reach out and let staff know that they care because saying that you have an open door policy is not enough if you are not making yourself available to them.

Wonderful Workplace

Current Employee - Student Affairs in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Student Affairs in Manassas, VA

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, remote work, management teams, benefits package, healthy life programs.

Cons

Pay scale is lower than rest of industry

Continue to prioritize employee experience.

Best place to work, hands down!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Public University System

Pros

Working from home after a successful probationary period.

Cons

Pay isnt that great, not that bad but it could be better for the amount of work you do.

None

It's a great online school to work for. The communication is excellent for faculty.

I have been working at American Public University System

Pros

The website platform is advanced, so feedback does not require a lot of keystrokes.

Cons

You are paid per student, so you may have big classes or really small ones.

Almost like a Cult

I worked at American Public University System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only positive thing about working at APUS was the short commute

Cons

Managers and hire ups walk around like they are very special. If you look around, EVERYBODY is the same, almost Cultish like. No wonder APUS doesn't pay very well, they all share a brain. I tried 7 years to get hired by APUS, after working there 3 months, I wish I hadn't quit my previous job. Watch out if you do something to make a manager mad, the whole office will look down their noses at you. My 10yr daughter acts more mature than most the ladies that work there

Hmmm, managers hiring family over more qualified, hmmm can we say lawsuit?

APUS is a Great place to work.

Former Employee - Career Coach in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Career Coach in Manassas, VA

I worked at American Public University System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

APUS is full of great team-minded employees who enjoy what they do. Also, there are plenty of opportunities to work from home.

Cons

The salaries are considerably low across the board, unless you are in some kind of manager/supervisor position.

Just be sure to be flexible, candid, transparent, present, attentive, an effective listener/communicator, organized, and always willing to have fun.

IT-Rampant nepotism and favoritism-politics is killing the company

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free ed for employee and half tuition for family
    Telecommuting opportunity for many positions
    Lower-level employees are the nicest and where productivity from
    Lukewarm benefits

Cons

Promotion not based on contribution and competency for the job but by how you can unshamefuly brag about yourself in front of your boss
    Company is declining due part to competition and lost FSA student but mostly due to ill-management (look at APEI stock)
    Upper management is out of touch of the business operation, middle management each has tight territory that not even the upper management can look into - in terms of productivity, expense, treat of first line employee
    Overall dysfunctioning and worsing

Of all companies I ever worked, this company/University has the most meetings/meetings/meetings in the mid level. Advice to Management: Move those butts from conf room to their cubicles! They should be producing values instead of playing politics making them looks like they are the busiest 'boss'.

People do matter -- management attitude needs to be adjusted

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is slightly above average.

Cons

Management keeps ratcheting up expectations of faculty especially in 100 level courses. Little room for error and aggressive management response if the right boxes aren't checked. Although they claim to have the best interests of students and faculty, questions/recommendations not well received. Little actual faculty support but lots of faculty criticism.

APUS culture stinks. Use the same sandwich approach we practice with our students (nice work overall, explain how certain work areas can be improved, we appreciate your efforts). It really isn't that hard. A flexible approach with our students should be promoted rather than the rigid system in place. Same for faculty.

Has potential for quality education but not particularly employee friendly

I worked at American Public University System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly front line employees who take pride in their jobs. Knowledgeable faculty and great course/program offering for distance education

Cons

Managers who should not be in their positions; HR failing to address serious employee issues such as nepotism, favoritism, harassment, and other issues. Low pay and lukewarm benefits. Silos and politics abound

Clean the house and get rid of execs and upper managers who are toxic and ineffective. They are bringing the organization down and hurting the reputation. This is a recipe for disaster.

American Public University System Photos