American Public University System

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Great Institution - Inspired Employees

Senior Manager, Social Media (Current Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsAPUS was an excellent employer whom I felt worked just as hard for me as I did for them as an employee. I was able to thrive and create my own path to achieve my goals. Departments are very open to working together and mission driven to support the University's student first mission. I have also never met a more passionate group of HR staff than those that I worked with frequently. Just like any other business there are frustrations but everyone was always open to work through those to support the students. I would easily recommend this organization to anyone that I know with confidence.

ConsImprovement needed with open communication from leadership to both front-line and management

Dying Company In A Growth Industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsI made a lot of good friends while working here. Unfortunately we bounded over our frustrations working with incompetent management.

ConsThe organizational chart is extremely top heavy. Countless EVPs, VPs, etc. Too many cooks is never a good thing. For staff not with a VP or Director title there is very little upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to take a serious look in the mirror. The product you are selling is not the best available. Your business model is not viable for long-term growth.

I've worked in higher ed, and this place is disorganized.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a couple of employee appreciation activities. Benefits are okay. Pay is, well, for Northern Virginia, meh.

ConsMost of it is remote. I came in at a time where there was a lot of transition going on. Training is meticulous, but there were a lot of mixed signals between management for advice on emails. I have been in higher ed for a while, and as long as the information was accurate and grammatically correct, there was never a problem. At APUS, there was no clear understanding of what was a suggestion and what was an error. It was almost impossible to provide meaningful assistance because you could never fully take ownership of the problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow individuals to take on more responsibility. Assign emails out of outlook.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at APUS was a very positive experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are very friendly people here and it is a great starting point for a career.

ConsMoving up on the ladder can be difficult.

Extremely professional and wonderful working environment

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

ProsGreat group of employees that share a tremendous passion for education and helping their student to be successful. Great benefit package with 401k, tuition reimbursement, and time of for research.

ConsThe only cons for working for American Public University System is the pay. In comparing to other educating institution, the pay is lower.

Great Mission

ProsI like working here, great mission.

ConsOld school ways of thinking sometime.

"People are the focus"

Former Employee (Former Employee) Charles Town, WV

ProsCompared to other organizations, this is truly an "employee-friendly" environment. The HR leadership looks at their roles as advisors. In doing so, they establish a place at the "table" by partnering with all levels of management across department lines. The HR leadership also recognizes the need (at times) to advocate for employees that are unable to provide a voice of their own. This was a cultivating environment in my opinion and I was able to find my career path thanks to this HR team. I am truly honored to have worked with such great people.

ConsHard to find the proper balance between work and life; work often continued past the 5 o'clock hour (more personal preference at the time than a standard)

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the ability to get feedback from those employees "in the trenches". Their insight is invaluable to the organization.

Great Perks with Very Little Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charles Town, WV

ProsI have two work from home days and a lot of flexibility.

ConsThe pay is so little compared to what those making just an hour away in VA in DC are making for the same job. This is ultimately what led me to leave. There is also very little room for growth or advancement and very little pay increases, at least in my experience.

Great Place to work as an adjunct Instructor

ProsSolid support for new instructors to their environment. They are constantly striving for improvement of the courses and adding interactive content. The full time faculty respond quickly to inquiries from instructors on any issues. Actually get feedback when students provide positive feedback on a course and the instructor. There are regular conference call meetings for all staff to attend for updates and to clarify questions.

ConsThere is a little mis-communication when it comes to who is in charge of a specific course as far as a course lead.

Exceptional time to impact lives in distance learning.

ProsImpressive work environment with caring and knowledgeable management. Respectful of work/life balance, and able to impact the lives of others.

ConsCons can exist on a case by case basis. Tele-working opportunities, if applicable, should be considered after some research and consideration.

American Public University System Senior Manager, Social Media responded to this review

Mar 13, 2014

I'm glad you are enjoying your time with us. As you know, at American Public University System all of our employees contribute to the success of our student first mission and we are glad you are ... More

Worked for American Public University System? Contribute to the Community!