American Public University System

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
2.8

Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Best place to work, hands down!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Public University System

Pros

Working from home after a successful probationary period.

Cons

Pay isnt that great, not that bad but it could be better for the amount of work you do.

None

It's a great online school to work for. The communication is excellent for faculty.

I have been working at American Public University System

Pros

The website platform is advanced, so feedback does not require a lot of keystrokes.

Cons

You are paid per student, so you may have big classes or really small ones.

People do matter -- management attitude needs to be adjusted

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is slightly above average.

Cons

Management keeps ratcheting up expectations of faculty especially in 100 level courses. Little room for error and aggressive management response if the right boxes aren't checked. Although they claim to have the best interests of students and faculty, questions/recommendations not well received. Little actual faculty support but lots of faculty criticism.

APUS culture stinks. Use the same sandwich approach we practice with our students (nice work overall, explain how certain work areas can be improved, we appreciate your efforts). It really isn't that hard. A flexible approach with our students should be promoted rather than the rigid system in place. Same for faculty.

IT-Rampant nepotism and favoritism-politics is killing the company

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free ed for employee and half tuition for family
    Telecommuting opportunity for many positions
    Lower-level employees are the nicest and where productivity from
    Lukewarm benefits

Cons

Promotion not based on contribution and competency for the job but by how you can unshamefuly brag about yourself in front of your boss
    Company is declining due part to competition and lost FSA student but mostly due to ill-management (look at APEI stock)
    Upper management is out of touch of the business operation, middle management each has tight territory that not even the upper management can look into - in terms of productivity, expense, treat of first line employee
    Overall dysfunctioning and worsing

Of all companies I ever worked, this company/University has the most meetings/meetings/meetings in the mid level. Advice to Management: Move those butts from conf room to their cubicles! They should be producing values instead of playing politics making them looks like they are the busiest 'boss'.

APUS is a Great place to work.

Former Employee - Career Coach in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Career Coach in Manassas, VA

I worked at American Public University System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

APUS is full of great team-minded employees who enjoy what they do. Also, there are plenty of opportunities to work from home.

Cons

The salaries are considerably low across the board, unless you are in some kind of manager/supervisor position.

Just be sure to be flexible, candid, transparent, present, attentive, an effective listener/communicator, organized, and always willing to have fun.

Sucks

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid Holidays
    2 Weeks Vacation
    Sick Leave
    401k partial match

Cons

Overworked
    Underpaid
    Upper Management doesn't care about employees
    Micro managed to the utmost
    Promotions are based on favoritism, who you know, and not qualifications
    From what I can tell the President is great, its' everybody under his umbrella that's the problem. I've worked in several major corporations before and this place by far is the worst. I used to think it was just my department, but talking to others in other departments it seems to be across the board, everyone is equally unhappy.

Has potential for quality education but not particularly employee friendly

I worked at American Public University System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly front line employees who take pride in their jobs. Knowledgeable faculty and great course/program offering for distance education

Cons

Managers who should not be in their positions; HR failing to address serious employee issues such as nepotism, favoritism, harassment, and other issues. Low pay and lukewarm benefits. Silos and politics abound

Clean the house and get rid of execs and upper managers who are toxic and ineffective. They are bringing the organization down and hurting the reputation. This is a recipe for disaster.

Has Potential - Great Mission, Not So Good Management

I worked at American Public University System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Middle- to entry-level employees (front line) were very nice people who cared about helping adult learners earn a college degree.

Good work-life balance.

Cons

Low pay.
    Difficult to move up, but easy to move around.
    Management not very creative.
    Command and control leadership style. A lot of egos.
    Silos and territorialism.
    Inflexible technology platform prevents them from doing better/being more competitive.

The school was built on a great mission and core values -- but they are just on paper. Make them real.

Need to do a better job of treating people more professionally and with courtesy and respect.

Breakdown silos while still making it clear who is responsible for what and hold the right people accountable.

Ask around to see how front line employees really view you and the executives.

Most of all, stop keeping poor or ineffective managers in positions of authority. Be bold and address bad apples at all levels - Includes front line right up to executives.

Excellent!

Current Employee - Marketing in Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Manassas, VA

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management and staff.
    Option to telework.
    Very flexible with time off.
    Business Casual.
    Management helpful in your professional growth within your position.

Cons

Benefits aren't that great, especially health benefits.
    Not much opportunity for promotion.
    Positions are very specialized.

Keep doing a great job. Great with encouragement. Great with giving credit where credits due.

Cubicle Farm from Hell

Former Employee - Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Entry Level Pay for West Virginia. Facility state of the art an immaculate. Friendly people especially housekeeping. They were the most nicest people I had met there. They should make more money. Coffee everyday and or water, tea or ice. Fill up yer cup!

Cons

Favoritism, passive aggressive behavior from management, no room for errors, production based data entry system made up by mad scientists that they do not give you ultimate time to learn. A very very structured competitive based environment. If you want to be a little fish in a very big pond enjoy yourself there. Also, you get a magical backpack with a magical laptop to take home so if you're sick you still are expected to work and check emails.

My manager had brains God gave a goose. No people skills, manners or tact. Very insecure. All she did all day was eat, walk around and talk and talked some more. If you weren't her "minion" you were not on her nice list. Very surprised since the University reflects itself as a commodity for online schooling. What goes on behind the scenes is entirely different. To think I had more education than my manager but yet still wasn't good enough. I think all the managers should be required to have their degree since you do pay for employee's tuition 100%. And they don't then fire them. And maybe perhaps with all the team leadership fun days going on maybe perhaps having a day to teach so called "management" people skills. I witnessed so much favoritism on a daily basis it made Walmart look more fair to employees without buying the uniform.

American Public University System Photos