American Public University System

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.8

Dr. Wallace E. Boston

APUS is a Great place to work.

Former Employee - Career Coach  in  Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Career Coach in Manassas, VA

I worked at American Public University System full-time for less than a year

Pros

APUS is full of great team-minded employees who enjoy what they do. Also, there are plenty of opportunities to work from home.

Cons

The salaries are considerably low across the board, unless you are in some kind of manager/supervisor position.

Just be sure to be flexible, candid, transparent, present, attentive, an effective listener/communicator, organized, and always willing to have fun.

Company Review

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Tuition
    Largest company in the area
    Great company picnic
    Paid holidays off
    options to telecommute

Cons

Management is horrible
    Doesn't cater to employees needs
    Growth is based on favoritism and not experience
    Benefits are high
    increases are almost obsolete unless you know the right person
    Forced to work ot because of the screw up of regent and being under staffed

Take the employees needs and feelings seriously. We are the reason that this company is successful, the hardwork that we do. We are at the forefront of the University and the first at the battleline. There is no University without us talking to the students, encouraging the students, providing them the assurance they need to continue yet we are the less valued.

Has potential for quality education but not particularly employee friendly

I worked at American Public University System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly front line employees who take pride in their jobs. Knowledgeable faculty and great course/program offering for distance education

Cons

Managers who should not be in their positions; HR failing to address serious employee issues such as nepotism, favoritism, harassment, and other issues. Low pay and lukewarm benefits. Silos and politics abound

Clean the house and get rid of execs and upper managers who are toxic and ineffective. They are bringing the organization down and hurting the reputation. This is a recipe for disaster.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Has Potential - Great Mission, Not So Good Management

I worked at American Public University System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Middle- to entry-level employees (front line) were very nice people who cared about helping adult learners earn a college degree.

Good work-life balance.

Cons

Low pay.
    Difficult to move up, but easy to move around.
    Management not very creative.
    Command and control leadership style. A lot of egos.
    Silos and territorialism.
    Inflexible technology platform prevents them from doing better/being more competitive.

The school was built on a great mission and core values -- but they are just on paper. Make them real.

Need to do a better job of treating people more professionally and with courtesy and respect.

Breakdown silos while still making it clear who is responsible for what and hold the right people accountable.

Ask around to see how front line employees really view you and the executives.

Most of all, stop keeping poor or ineffective managers in positions of authority. Be bold and address bad apples at all levels - Includes front line right up to executives.

Excellent!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Manassas, VA

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great management and staff.
    Option to telework.
    Very flexible with time off.
    Business Casual.
    Management helpful in your professional growth within your position.

Cons

Benefits aren't that great, especially health benefits.
    Not much opportunity for promotion.
    Positions are very specialized.

Keep doing a great job. Great with encouragement. Great with giving credit where credits due.

Great mission, great students

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most positions are remote, the people who work there are amazing. Students are dedicated and hard working and make it worth it.

Cons

Pay is low for the industry, work is fast paced but not always positive

Implement measures to gauge effectiveness of your efforts

Cubicle Farm from Hell

Former Employee - Financial Aid  in  Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Entry Level Pay for West Virginia. Facility state of the art an immaculate. Friendly people especially housekeeping. They were the most nicest people I had met there. They should make more money. Coffee everyday and or water, tea or ice. Fill up yer cup!

Cons

Favoritism, passive aggressive behavior from management, no room for errors, production based data entry system made up by mad scientists that they do not give you ultimate time to learn. A very very structured competitive based environment. If you want to be a little fish in a very big pond enjoy yourself there. Also, you get a magical backpack with a magical laptop to take home so if you're sick you still are expected to work and check emails.

My manager had brains God gave a goose. No people skills, manners or tact. Very insecure. All she did all day was eat, walk around and talk and talked some more. If you weren't her "minion" you were not on her nice list. Very surprised since the University reflects itself as a commodity for online schooling. What goes on behind the scenes is entirely different. To think I had more education than my manager but yet still wasn't good enough. I think all the managers should be required to have their degree since you do pay for employee's tuition 100%. And they don't then fire them. And maybe perhaps with all the team leadership fun days going on maybe perhaps having a day to teach so called "management" people skills. I witnessed so much favoritism on a daily basis it made Walmart look more fair to employees without buying the uniform.

Great learning experience, but with detractors.

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

-Academics holds some very intelligent and caring individuals that you will have the chance to interact with often.
    -Pays for tuition.
    -Remote days a possibility for most positions, and most managers seem to be very flexible.
    -Great work life / balance and very flexible atmosphere (with my supervisor, who was wonderful).

Cons

-Lack of company culture; present employment really shows the lack thereof for company focused culture (at least in Academics).
    -During my time there, many individuals just disappeared without explanations, and the expectation is to not inquire.
    -The pay is abysmal for many starting employees. APUS capitalizes on being located in WV (which is lower COL than VA, MD, and DC area) and pays employees fractions. They can get away with it as it is the one of the few professional environments located in the area. Often cited by adjuncts as the *lowest* paying online university
    -Bonuses are a joke, and now done away with since the April layoffs. $150 dollar quarterly bonus?

-*BIGGEST CON* Lack of consistency for online professors. I've taken classes by instructors who hardly read my submitted work, and feedback is very thread-bare. These instructors make a lot of money for very little theoretical work. From an employee perspective, there are instructors who have no business being employed.

I enjoyed walking through the company picnic, seeing the salaries of laid off employees being spent to entertain children.

Academic Advisor

Current Employee - Academic Advisor  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor in Manassas, VA

I have been working at American Public University System full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Ability to work from home
    -Decent entry level pay

Cons

-Nepotism (one of the senior managers in Advising has a father who is high up in the company
    -Discrimination
    -Favortism
    -Unhelpful HR personnel

I was repeatedly harassed by management and HR did nothing at all. I was even yelled at and threatened to be fired by my manager (who's father was high up in the company) and nothing happened.

Stop the favorites game!

It's skewed towards the employer in terms of treatment...

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. Everyone seemed so down to earth. Some of the higher ups were snobs but you get that everywhere. The working environment was neat and clean. Most of the buildings are brand new and since APUS owns most of the town, it is very enjoyable to leave the car behind and walk the pleasant main streets of Charles Town to get from building to building.

Cons

Ultimately with all of the cut backs and with the hiring freeze, the job became way to much for the pay. Like another review said, the work life balance became less of a balance and more of a demand. With a laptop, a hot spot and a blackberry, I was often being asked to work outside of my working hours. With all of the equipment coming home with you every night it's hard to make an excuse you missed an email or a phone call. With a family of 5 and doing 60 hours a week I had to give it up and move on.

My only advice would be to adopt the 8-8-8 rule. Let employees have 8 hour working days, 8 hours sleep and 8 hours play or time with their families.

Worked for American Public University System? Contribute to the Community!