American Public University System Reviews

• Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
Dr. Wallace E. Boston

Pros
  • I have two work from home days and a lot of flexibility (in 4 reviews)

• Great work life / balance and very flexible atmosphere (with my supervisor, who was wonderful) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • LOW pay and believe they are not paying minimum wage (in 5 reviews)

• No wonder APUS doesn't pay very well, they all share a brain (in 4 reviews)

1. Financial Aid Process Team

Former Employee - Specialist, Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Specialist, Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System (More than a year)

Pros

Offers great entry-level jobs. Great culture.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are seldom. Process driven.

Interesting projects, good teams but very political environment

Former Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System

Pros

Projects are not extraordinarily long which provides variety. Most projects are technically challenging and most people want to a good job.

Cons

There is a lot of red tape in trying to get your job done. The environment is very political and advancement is very much "who you know". Certain problem employees are allowed to remain and they have driven away many good and talented people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. You hired them because they were excellent workers. Allow them to be innovative and deal with problem employees. Stop allowing nepotism to permeate the organization.

3. Excellent

Former Employee - Knowledge and Documentation Specialist in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Knowledge and Documentation Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

APUS was a great place to work. We had great benefits, great work-life balance and I enjoyed the people most of all. There was a lot of positive energy there.

Cons

Unfortunately there are budget cuts. APUS is readjusting to market changes and re-accessing its priorities.

Really thought this would be a good company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System

Pros

Work for the most part is interesting.

Cons

Compensation for hard work is not rewarded. Career advancement is at a standstill unless you are one of the favorites. There is no promotion checkpoints. At most companies you can work towards and complete career milestones which lead to promotions. Promotions here are handed out to favorites and yes-men instead of given to the people that have worked hard and deserve them.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting favorites or spineless individuals. The company culture is going downhill and it is showing with the amount of people leaving the company. Re-evaluate the pay scales. Pay the good employees what they are worth, cut the dead weight if PIPS are not met, and maybe people will stay with the company.

still here but wondering

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ok salary for the area ok benefits

Cons

call center environment managers who are never around unclear guidelines for promotions favoritism possible ageism

Advice to Management

management needs to develop better communication skills, and to pay more attention to employees with real world experience, not the flaming braggarts they love to promote

IT-Rampant nepotism and favoritism-politics is killing the company

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free ed for employee and half tuition for family Telecommuting opportunity for many positions Lower-level employees are the nicest and where productivity from Lukewarm benefits

Cons

Promotion not based on contribution and competency for the job but by how you can unshamefuly brag about yourself in front of your boss Company is declining due part to competition and lost FSA student but mostly due to ill-management (look at APEI stock) Upper management is out of touch of the business operation, middle management each has tight territory that not even the upper management can look into - in terms of productivity, expense, treat of first line employee Overall dysfunctioning and worsing

Advice to Management

Of all companies I ever worked, this company/University has the most meetings/meetings/meetings in the mid level. Advice to Management: Move those butts from conf room to their cubicles! They should be producing values instead of playing politics making them looks like they are the busiest 'boss'.

8. People do matter -- management attitude needs to be adjusted

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Charles Town, WV
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Charles Town, WV

I have been working at American Public University System part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is slightly above average.

Cons

Management keeps ratcheting up expectations of faculty especially in 100 level courses. Little room for error and aggressive management response if the right boxes aren't checked. Although they claim to have the best interests of students and faculty, questions/recommendations not well received. Little actual faculty support but lots of faculty criticism.

Advice to Management

APUS culture stinks. Use the same sandwich approach we practice with our students (nice work overall, explain how certain work areas can be improved, we appreciate your efforts). It really isn't that hard. A flexible approach with our students should be promoted rather than the rigid system in place. Same for faculty.

Cubicle Farm from Hell

Former Employee - Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Financial Aid in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Entry Level Pay for West Virginia. Facility state of the art an immaculate. Friendly people especially housekeeping. They were the most nicest people I had met there. They should make more money. Coffee everyday and or water, tea or ice. Fill up yer cup!

Cons

Favoritism, passive aggressive behavior from management, no room for errors, production based data entry system made up by mad scientists that they do not give you ultimate time to learn. A very very structured competitive based environment. If you want to be a little fish in a very big pond enjoy yourself there. Also, you get a magical backpack with a magical laptop to take home so if you're sick you still are expected to work and check emails.

Advice to Management

My manager had brains God gave a goose. No people skills, manners or tact. Very insecure. All she did all day was eat, walk around and talk and talked some more. If you weren't her "minion" you were not on her nice list. Very surprised since the University reflects itself as a commodity for online schooling. What goes on behind the scenes is entirely different. To think I had more education than my manager but yet still wasn't good enough. I think all the managers should be required to have their degree since you do pay for employee's tuition 100%. And they don't then fire them. And maybe perhaps with all the team leadership fun days going on maybe perhaps having a day to teach so called "management" people skills. I witnessed so much favoritism on a daily basis it made Walmart look more fair to employees without buying the uniform.

10. "People are the focus"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time

Pros

Compared to other organizations, this is truly an "employee-friendly" environment. The HR leadership looks at their roles as advisors. In doing so, they establish a place at the "table" by partnering with all levels of management across department lines. The HR leadership also recognizes the need (at times) to advocate for employees that are unable to provide a voice of their own. This was a cultivating environment in my opinion and I was able to find my career path thanks to this HR team. I am truly honored to have worked with such great people.

Cons

Hard to find the proper balance between work and life; work often continued past the 5 o'clock hour (more personal preference at the time than a standard)

Advice to Management

Don't lose the ability to get feedback from those employees "in the trenches". Their insight is invaluable to the organization.

11. Great Perks with Very Little Pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charles Town, WV

I worked at American Public University System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have two work from home days and a lot of flexibility.

Cons

The pay is so little compared to what those making just an hour away in VA in DC are making for the same job. This is ultimately what led me to leave. There is also very little room for growth or advancement and very little pay increases, at least in my experience.

RSS Feed </> Embed