American Realty Advisors

2.2

Stanley L. Iezman

Great opportunity to learn

I have been working at American Realty Advisors full-time

Pros

- Dynamic, fast environment that allows you to learn a lot very quickly
    - Accessible senior management
    - Collegial peer environment
    - Competitive compensation
    - Exposure to all aspects of real estate

Cons

- High value on "face time"
    - Glendale location not conducive to networking with peers

Express your appreciation for you team

Hubris, lack of internal professionalism and horrific micro management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at American Realty Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On a positive note, the company seems to be fairly stable even given the markets of the recent past. Additionally, it does have a desirable location and nice accommodations.

Cons

As a present employee I can, unfortunately, concur with the understated negatives that have been posted about American. This company's culture is the worst I've ever experienced in my decades long career. The hubris of this company's management is only overshadowed by the extremely unprofessional conduct management directs towards its employees, (i.e. yelling, belittling, sarcasm, etc.). With the level of micro-management within all departments it's amazing its management can attend to its own responsibilities. It appears that those senior people who have been here a long time, with the exception of one or two, have followed the owner's example by taking on the same hubris and abusive tone towards their "underlings" - perhaps to survive in this shark tank by playing follow the leader.

I believe the only reason many of the "current" employees who have posted here are still "current employees" is owing primarily to the still weakened job market. I personally know a dozen people who are looking elsewhere. One has only to look at the turnover of this small company to confirm that its culture and lack of internal professionalism leave many employees looking elsewhere. Recently casual Friday's was implemented, perhaps in acknowledgement of the lack of company morale? But jeans and an occasional company sponsored lunch can't begin to compensate for American's disheartening and at times, abusive environment. So sad, that such self-appointed "smart" senior management doesn't get that what is really needed is a huge dose of respect towards, and a show of confidence to, the people they've hired rather than treating everyone like indentured servants who can't make intelligent decisions or add true value. The culture created and perpetuated by upper management creates little room for growth or enthusiasm.

You may question why I am still here if it's this bad. Like many others, I'm just waiting for the right opportunity; I want to make sure I don't jump from one frying pan to a similar frying pan. If you have other opportunities I highly recommend that you take one of them.

Rather than seeking to find out who posted what so many of us see as American's culture, take a look in the mirror and look at your turnover. Respect your employees. Release the bonds of micro-management and trust that if they were worthy to be hired they can meet your deliverables without constant chastisement and oversight. If three or more people say you are drunk - you're drunk.

Test of Tolerance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at American Realty Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Although some are temporary, there are knowledgeable colleagues to learn from. I also made a few good connections but those are more attributable to the people than the company. It's like being in a bad situation out of need with good people many of which are in the same "boat". I am thankful for what I learned but I had to have the mindset of taking all I can get out of the experience to justify my tolerance of the cons to working there.

Cons

I came upon this by chance today and so many of these reviews hit the nail on the head it brought me some satisfaction reading them. I had posted a while back after I left the company and for some reason it's no longer showing. In short there are ridiculous control measures, immense redundancy of reporting, and borderline abuse of human dignity to name a few things. Some people manage to find a reason to stay (such as "work sucks everywhere", which really is no reason to me) but then again I'm sure there are satisfied citizens in North Korea also. Generally speaking, the pathway to the top at this company is to run over as many people as possible in your way, take out your spine and view upper management as the be all and end all, or master the game of politics. Some, like me, just need a job and do what they have to as a sacrifice until they cannot take it anymore and find something else. Others are content with busy work and don't care to look into details or facts unless figuratively smacked in the face with them.

Lost cause.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rearview Mirror

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at American Realty Advisors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good location if you live in Pasadena, Glendale, or Burbank area with good freeway access. Building is safe and clean.

Cons

The owner of the "firm" as he refers to the organization is completely misguided about how to actually bring out the best in people so that they can do their best work. Adults hovering in fear of the dreaded call down the hall to be berated and scolded over something completely off point is unprofessional and counterproductive. The company could be so much bigger and better were it not for this autocratic style.

Please do everyone a favor and get rid of the fingerprint machine, the sign in sheet, and the little man running around telling people they are stupid.

Purgatory

I have been working at American Realty Advisors

Pros

It beats not working. The expansion through the remainder of the 8th floor made us less cramped? I'm having trouble meeting the 20 word minimum here.

Cons

"The beatings will continue until morale improves" sums up American. Abusive, micro-managing environment where employees are required to sign in and out, and even their lunch activities are monitored. There is a fingerprint scanner in the entryway, The company keeps a secret list of who went in and out of the lunch room. The company hires employees as independent contractors to save money. Apparently, the company lawyers don't know the difference between an independent contractor and an employee. The company also salves money on things like pens and staples, which are never available to the point that employees buy them on their own. The Miami Dolphins football player who was hazed by a teammate had it easy compared to here given the yelling and screaming that goes on at this "work" place.

Management, keep up the good job! Oh, sorry, I thought I was writing one of the fake reviews posted by the CEO.

Good firm to work for-learn a lot

Current Employee - Asset Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Realty Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work with talented people who understand real estate. They ask you to push the envelope and learn more. This is good as it makes the process of growing great.

Cons

Only recomnedation would be to not tolerate allowing weak people to continue to work for the firm. They give to much rope to the weak players who think they know something, when they do not. Fire fast. Hire slow.

Continue doing what you are doing

A tyrant dictatorship that micro manages you.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Glendale, CA

I worked at American Realty Advisors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Several smart and talented colleagues to work with here who are knowledgeable about commercial real estate investing and management, who are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Many gifted and talented professional people come and go through the revolving door here; some may last a year or so, some only a matter of days. Not a good place to consider if you are serious about stabilizing or advancing your career. If you manage to hold your position a while but they kick you to the curb, too, after all your hard work and efforts, do not expect any employer recommendations.

Senior Management does not operate in a democratic way; not helpful in keeping employees motivated or employed. The incompetent ways of the administrative support and the neuroticism of your HR Department is a bad reflection on your level of corporate professionalism.

Good Work Ethic

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Realty Advisors

Pros

Great place to work. You will learn more about real estate here than anyplace else.

Cons

Tough but fair. They know real estate. They do not tolerate fools well.

Keep up the work. You make it challenging for good people and it is a compliment when one succeeds.

Do your due diligence on this company before accepting!

Former Employee - Associate  in  Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Glendale, CA

I worked at American Realty Advisors

Pros

If you live in Glendale or Pasadena it's a short commute to work?

Cons

ARA has a well known reputation in the marketplace and if you are considering accepting an ARA job I highly recommend asking around and talking to former ARA employee(s) before making your decision.

An employee turnover ratio of 6 months is definately an indicator of underlying issues with Senior Management.

Mental Warfare

Current Employee - Senior Asset Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Asset Manager

I have been working at American Realty Advisors full-time

Pros

They hire good, talented people. The camaraderie is great as people band together to handle the very strained and challenging work environment. They also pay well to partially compensate for this environment.

Cons

A very paranoid senior management that monitors your every movement, including tracking when you leave the office to get a cup of coffee at the deli in the building. Also, the CEO personally monitors individuals’ emails. They hire very talented personnel, generally in career transition, and then think they are idiots the minute they walk in the door. No authority for any decision making is provided to the asset or portfolio managers.

It's more than a coincidence that the two 5 star reviews posted are immediately after bad reviews and they read as though they were written by the same person. My advice is to have some personal insight about the environment you have created. Own the despotic nature of the environment or change it.

Worked for American Realty Advisors? Contribute to the Community!