American Red Cross

American Red Cross Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern

Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference(in 22 reviews)

• It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse(in 27 reviews)

• Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems(in 26 reviews)

Great place to intern

Development, Special Events (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAs an intern, the ARC gave me trust to work on several projects and prepared me with the needed skills at work, and I had free training for Adult/Pediatric First Aid, CPR, AED. I love the people and the team spirit. It's a great place to intern and work for if you are looking forward to an opportunity to work with community, and help people.

ConsNo cons for me as an intern.

Most Reliable Employer

Support to the Directors (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsFlexible, chances for advancement, friendly, personable, thorough training, chances to train when trained, inhouse training. free training

Consnone, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none, none

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the professionalism

Wonderful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI interned at ARC for a month and loved the environment and the management team.

ConsNo cons for this company during length of internship.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience, good place to grow in career

Supervisor, Manufacturing (Current Employee) Pomona, CA

ProsModerate amount of advancement opportunities. Good atmosphere, friendly co-workers, reasonable management.

ConsStandard benefits, no bonuses/additional perks.

American Red Cross Talent Acquisition Program Associate responded to this review

Jul 11, 2014

Thank you for your review and praise for our work atmosphere and exceptional colleagues. As a non-profit, we strive to maintain a balance between fairly compensating our employees and being ... More

Program Coordinator (Intern)

Program Coordinator Disaster Services (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible with school schedule

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Jul 11, 2014

Thank you for your review; we are glad to hear that your internship experience with us was accommodating to your schedule and a positive one!

I like the people I worked with, the donors I've met and management.

Mobile Unit Assistant III (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC

ProsHaving the opportunity to train in areas of the company such as Phlebotomy and Health Histories. The many benefits that the company offered

ConsThe long hours, talking about our personal and business relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your workers with more respect and not like second class citizens.

Jul 11, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you were pleased with your training opportunities and benefits. Our employees and volunteers are vital to fulfilling our mission, and treating them with ... More

Great Mission. Poor execution.

Lead Call Center Performance (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsIt is wonderful to be a part of the Red Cross mission and what it stands for. I have met a wide variety of fantastic people here and we all have the same passion for saving lives.

ConsDecisions made up the ladder are making it impossible to continue working there. Communication between levels of management is slight at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake into account the fantastic agents you have working for you. If they are not happy, production suffers. Stop changing the incentive parameters and schedules.

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat people, work environment and mission.

ConsConstant restructuring and reductions in force.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stick with it.

Great organization, Tough place to work

ProsThe mission of the organization is fantastic. They do so much to help others and help save lives that you really feel good abut what you do on a day to day basis. There are also some very good people to work with.

ConsThe organization is going through some changes and there have not been a lot of opportunities to advance. They need to change from a culture of reducing to one of building in order for staff to feel safe and appreciated.

If I knew then what I know now

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsI was given an opportunity to learn the ins and outs of non profit accounting shortly out of college. This was my first real professional experience and I appreciate the opportunity.

ConsAfter about six months, the training stopped and I was thrown in head first. The management of the department I'm in is poor to say the least. I currently work under constraints that no one else seems to be subjected to. The pay for the industry is not competitive and the raises are minimal.

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!