American Red Cross

American Red Cross Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern

Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference(in 21 reviews)

• It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse(in 27 reviews)

• Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems(in 24 reviews)

Excellence turned into mediocrity

Chapter Operations (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission, great media awareness

ConsNo longer provide direct financial assistance to disaster victims. Hand out sweat pants, a bucket and broom, or provide a cot instead of a hotel room for local disaster victims. Senior management gets bonuses based on profit margin rather than client outcomes. Margin increased is now based on lower level of assistance. Donations for major disasters help offeset balance sheet liabilities rather than helping the images of families on the TV. Will never donate to them again as long as the current senior management team is still employed there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the National Board Chair -appointed by the President of the United States -- stop the bleeding and step one foot outside of DC in a local chapter --and move to replace the senior management team -- all of them for the sake of the future viability of the mission.

Bl

Collections Specialist (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsYou can pick up over time, however it is up to the scheduling department where you work at and the time.

ConsHorrible Management with too much favoritism and unethical actions taken. No room for advancement unless you are a favorite, it does not matter on your education or work ethic. High turnover rate, and scheduling department is unethical, by giving there friends the good hours and shifts, it does not matter your work ethic or the time with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be fair and ethical, care about the employees.

Elitists Management that is only concerned about their tails and how they appear

Collection Tech II (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsGood Mission and recognized around the world
    Renowned Brand
    Committed Chapter Employees
    Committed Disaster Employees
    Very hard working field staff on blood mobiles

ConsDoes not care about workers
    Management is very Self-Serving
    Inexperienced Leadership
    Favoritism within Senior Management
    Wasteful with resources and money

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management needs to stop leading by fear, everyone is afraid of losing his or her jobs. Stop telling people in meetings about how many people has been fired and stop intimidating people so they can work. Management made promises to us during a Union Campaign and most have not been sighted since. They need to appreciate the workers in the field more and stop treating them as disposable and replaceable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meaningful work, painful management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- meaningful work
    - direct interaction with clients
    - thorough training

Cons- low pay
    - little room for advancement
    - uncertain future; one round of layoffs after another makes long-term planning and projects difficult
    - unclear expectations
    - in-fighting between departments
    - favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with employees, and make an attempt to retain talented ones. Train managers who have been promoted internally. Make promotions more transparent.

Working for the Red Cross wasn't at all the place, environment or culture I thought it would be.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsAble to work in healthcare with people who aren't sick. To participate in helping to save lives.

ConsTo many bosses, and coworkers who think they are the boss. Managers playing favorites with some employees and conversely very unfairly punitive with other employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee cons and stop doing those things. And quit with the micro management and all the "write-ups"!! Adds unnecessary stress to the job. Also practice what u preach. I saw people get written up for the smallest of infractions and for things that I observed supervisors doing themselves.

Decline of an Icon

ProsProvides life saving products and comfort to those in need.

ConsThe leadership in the company is comprised of fallout from companies that have failed. Now not surprisingly the company has turned into the most unhumanitarian humanitarian organization. Fiscally irresponsible and falling fast. They still provide much needed relief to the public but the company is imploding fast I would not be surprised to see the company gone in five years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek sturdy and trustworthy leadership with a proven record of success to try and save the company before the current leadership runs it into the ground.

TeleRecruiter

Telerecruiter (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsYou have chances to develop in your position nesting phase. They feed you well during orientation. They give somewhat fair bonuses if you work hard enough...

ConsThey are mis leading the tell you that all donations are for a non profit that's a lie, they sale that blood donations to a third party. They also say that you can move up in the company not true. They lead you to believe that it is a professional, friendly atmosphere, that's a lie. It is super unprofessional, a lot of young people all grouped together gossiping,an extremely high turn over rate for employment. They are prejudice they favor particular ethics,and races. They drill a speech in your head to feed to innocent people about "Te need for blood is so constant", They lie and tell you that they remove donors off of the call list which is a lie, they harass these poor people and continuously call them. If you don't mind lying to people, and being programmed like a robot, well this would be a great position for you. I worked there for two years and walked out on lunch one day to never return. This is the worse call center job that I have everrrrr..worked for. I would rather pack pavement everyday of my life appose to becoming a recruiter for the American Red Cross.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together, Focus on your company's Moral. Be more passionate to your employees, and try harder to bring professionals in the door, rather than desperate people.

uncooperative and under compensated

PR Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment for young interns. The intern group was fantastic. Got along with the staff in the personal sense, but found the office itself unorganized. I was the pr intern and felt important.

ConsHard to grow and develop skills to use in other environments. I wish I had known the issues my superiors had with the company before I decided to work with them. Superiors were hypocrites, expected me to be their slave and complete any sort of task they came up with. Found out I was not an official intern when I tried to fix the internet on a day the interns and I were the only ones in the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter delegation and communication skills to all territory leaders. They seem lost, un-enthused and are looking for new jobs.

CEO completely out of touch, poor culture and HR practices

Specialist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsService delivery to those in need

ConsCEO completely out of touch. Relies on select few for information and forms judgements on individuals based on what his favorites tell him. Decisions are made in a vacuum. Terrible organizational culture and HR practices have historically been corrupt. Only those that suddenly fall out of the favorites list get investigated or reprimanded. Blind eye is turned on others. No sense of neutrality and objectivity. It only takes one person's opinion to trash others' reputation many times. I have seen really good, ethical people leave out of disgust.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a 360 degree view and be objective before forming opinions. Give everyone a chance to be heard and express their ideas. Let people feel included and part of the decision making process when possible. Do not turn a blind eye when you know someone is doing something wrong. Hold ethics above all else. Hold everyone accountable equally.

Micromanagement at it's finest

Quality Assurance (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsThere's not a whole lot good about this company except the lab experience. Once I realized the issues, I got out of there.

ConsYou will be micromanaged. If you are a mindless sheep, then you will like it there. They treat you like you are in high school.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house fast! This company has a bunch of law suits waiting to happen.

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!