American Red Cross Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated July 23, 2014
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 33 reviews)

• Here you can work knowing that everything you do is helping people (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 16 reviews)

• I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I had a great experience learning from some very wonderful people who like to give back to their community.

Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with wonderful people every day.

Cons

being away form home for 3 week disaster service leave.

American Red Cross Response

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

We can imagine it was difficult for you to be away from your family while you were deployed. We appreciate your dedication to the Red Cross and know that you had an incredible impact on the people ... More

Many uncompensated hours

Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers...dedicated, loyal, altruistic, hard-working.

Cons

many, many, many unpaid hours.

pay more competitive wages.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator II in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator II in DFW, TX

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This organization is rewarding and has a favorable working environment. Health and dental coverage is great and can be effective first day on the job if elected. After 3 months of employment, eligible for 401K savings, matched at 4%.

Cons

As a former Accounting/Office Manager with 30+ years work experience and 2 years of college, for me, the salary is below average for my experience. After being unemployed for almost a year, I accepted my first hourly paid position at a reduction in salary of $10,000 annually.

Due to budgetary restraints at the regional level, non-exempt hourly salaries are below the local and national average and could use a 10% pay increase.

Great atmosphere to work in. Everyone is very accommodating and helpful.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Very relaxed atmosphere. Get to know a lot of the other employees on a personal level. The directors are great and are always willing to help and answer questions.

Cons

Directions to some projects were not very clear. Sometimes is was too loud in the office areas to work. Cold office.

Give more feedback to the workers concerning their progress. When assigning projects, be more specific about the criteria and deadlines

American Red Cross - as an employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

The seven fundamental principles of the Red Cross align very well with my own personal beliefs on how individuals should be treated, and they are something the organization takes extremely seriously. They have a great mission, and the work is very fulfilling and rewarding overall. If you're a disaster junkie or like being in the center of things during disasters, then this organization won't disappoint. The feeling of helping individuals in need on a daily basis is very rewarding.

Cons

A downside similar to many other large organizations - many standalone systems that don't talk to one other, making certain tasks very tedious and time-consuming.

Integrating the many different systems should provide a great benefit to employees and volunteers alike.

American Red Cross Photos