American Red Cross Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 33 reviews)

• Here you can work knowing that everything you do is helping people (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 16 reviews)

• I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

The incompetant leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary

Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people with many having a selfless attitude
    More informal work environment and dress code
    Make lots of contacts in Emergency Management and local government

Cons

VERY low pay
    VERY long hours with VERY unreasonable expectations
    High turnover, been here less than a year and 4 people have quit out of my office alone
    Executives make 6 figure salaries with bonuses while most of the management level work horses earn closer to 35k so there is a massive pay gap
    No opportunity for advancement and no raises.....ever
    Often times they will hire outside the organization rather than promote their own
    Aside from house fire cases, we only really provide services that arent really needed like handing out water to firefighters
    EXTREMELY disorganized...Ive never ever seen an organization that doesnt even know what vehicles they have or where they are
    They claim to have "service to armed forces" as a primary mission, but charge PTO days for military training, so as a reservist, Im on average 3 days in the hole every year before I even make my PTO days.
    Dont plan on training when you get to your job. Most of us got thrown in with no guidance whatsoever
    Volunteers tend to be self centered and you have to stroke their egos to get them to do anything or they threaten to quit

Stop being greedy, create a pay scale like the federal government, train the people you bring in, have some loyalty to your employees, and be realistic in your expectations

Great Organization, hard work - you have to be passionate about helping people to be satisfied

Former Employee - Chapter Executive
    Former Employee - Chapter Executive

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the end of every day, I was proud to do the work I do. PTO policy is fair, but with the light staff it's hard to get off work. With the current restructure, a lot of people are losing their jobs. However, I will say that it is for the right reason. Management doesn't make $$$,$$$ while lower level make nothing. Merit is based on performance

Cons

Pay. A lot of long unpredictable hours, working in a smaller chapter has many challenges with used "hand-me-down" equipment. Put it this way, it's 2014 and 90% of our computers are not wireless.

way too many pointless reports and phone calls. I spend hours completing the same report in a different format. Utilize what tools we do have. However, with the direction the org is heading, I see a lot of that happening. I would like to see more lower level positions and fewer high level positions. Decentralize some of the decision making.

My Years With The American Red Cross

Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have loved working for the American Red Cross. My co-workers have become family to me, and I love the mission of the Red Cross

Cons

I am my own challenge. I expect the best from myself and when I slip I feel like I have let down my Supervisor and the Red Cross. There are no cons working at this wonderful non-profit.

Keep being who you are. You have trained me well, have been patient beyond compare and will always be a part of my heart.

Great mission and overall successful, but always teetering on the edge of dysfunction.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is an organization that really makes a difference. Provides real value to the community. A good place to advance if you take initiative.

Cons

Always cash poor. History of bad decisions during the last several decades. Reactionary rather than proactive.

Corrective actions during the last couple of decades are too much gimmick, and not enough deep, cultural change. Mandates come from Headquarters but lose their intended effect by the time they are applied to line staff. ARC needs to build an effective bridge between the vision of senior leadership and the multitude who actually perform the work. I recommend building a broad team of liaisons at the supervisor and department lead level (this is the point of cultural traction). Inspire them, provide them training/tools to influence their peers, and commission them to spread the vision(s). I realize this has been done before, but it has not been sustained, monitored and reinforced. It should be like waves on a beach- unceasing. Wave after wave of inspiration, hope, and group identity: Exceptional customer service, efficiency, employee excellence, quality. Deep in every person's heart is a desperate desire to be on a winning team. Make them believe they are the best, and they will be the best.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many chances and choices for advancement.

Cons

Benefits and compensation continually under pressure

Always changing

Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a wonderful opportunity for continuous training and immediate leadership

Cons

They are in a flux state right now with both employees and volunteers, its a bit shifty ground to stand on.

Be open with your changes and be willing to seek help from those below you with more experience. Being able to get things done doesn't always make a good manager.

Challenging

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mission makes work fulfilling. Blood donors are great to work with

Cons

Lack of transparency
    Too many changes to try to save money, end up costing more

Value your employees by caring about them

Happy with my position, but uncertainty about the future makes work life challenging.

Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The feeling that you are contributing an organization that makes a difference in people's lives.
    The importance of the goal of providing safe and available blood for patients.
    Reasonably good compensation.

Cons

There have been numerous Reductions in Force both inside my department and around the company. There is a looming budget deficit that will probably mean yet more layoffs. Morale is low and uncertainty high.

It is disheartening to see so many people laid off when upper management continues to be paid extremely well, especially in the upper levels of Biomedical Services.

American Red Cross Response

Oct 3, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are always pleased to hear praise for our mission, and could not fulfill it without our dedicated employees and volunteers. It is true that we are ... More

assistant type of position

I worked at American Red Cross part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with amazing, caring people in own department. Other departments not so much. Learned a lot about interractions between departments and who to trust and who not to trust. The Red Cross has a great mission and is a respected organization on a national level.

Cons

Constant rumors of layoffs, changing working conditions. Didn't know from one day to next if your position would still be viable and still be there.

Communicate more honestly with employees about future of company and wh

Great people- great work in the community

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people at the local level. Always willing to help anyone- fellow employees, volunteers, community members...

Cons

Management (national level who make the decisions) couldn't be more out of touch with the boots on the ground.

Spend a few weeks at chapters- where the real work goes on. You'll have a whole new respect for the Red Cross because you have no idea what goes on now. You'll be impressed!

American Red Cross Photos