American Red Cross Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 33 reviews)

• Here you can work knowing that everything you do is helping people (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 16 reviews)

• I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

The incompetant leading the unwilling to do the unnecessary

Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Disaster Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people with many having a selfless attitude
    More informal work environment and dress code
    Make lots of contacts in Emergency Management and local government

Cons

VERY low pay
    VERY long hours with VERY unreasonable expectations
    High turnover, been here less than a year and 4 people have quit out of my office alone
    Executives make 6 figure salaries with bonuses while most of the management level work horses earn closer to 35k so there is a massive pay gap
    No opportunity for advancement and no raises.....ever
    Often times they will hire outside the organization rather than promote their own
    Aside from house fire cases, we only really provide services that arent really needed like handing out water to firefighters
    EXTREMELY disorganized...Ive never ever seen an organization that doesnt even know what vehicles they have or where they are
    They claim to have "service to armed forces" as a primary mission, but charge PTO days for military training, so as a reservist, Im on average 3 days in the hole every year before I even make my PTO days.
    Dont plan on training when you get to your job. Most of us got thrown in with no guidance whatsoever
    Volunteers tend to be self centered and you have to stroke their egos to get them to do anything or they threaten to quit

Stop being greedy, create a pay scale like the federal government, train the people you bring in, have some loyalty to your employees, and be realistic in your expectations

Low pay, highly political, lots of drama and backstabbing. Wouldn't recommend working here or even donating.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people are actually mission-driven. You get to brag that you work for a highly regarded organization. You get to work like 3 jobs in one lol.

Cons

Ridiculous expectations of long hours, workload and timelines. Terrible pay while execs get bonuses in the midst of budget cuts and huge layoffs of older staff members.

Stop being greedy. Remember your mission.

My Years With The American Red Cross

Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have loved working for the American Red Cross. My co-workers have become family to me, and I love the mission of the Red Cross

Cons

I am my own challenge. I expect the best from myself and when I slip I feel like I have let down my Supervisor and the Red Cross. There are no cons working at this wonderful non-profit.

Keep being who you are. You have trained me well, have been patient beyond compare and will always be a part of my heart.

Great mission and overall successful, but always teetering on the edge of dysfunction.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is an organization that really makes a difference. Provides real value to the community. A good place to advance if you take initiative.

Cons

Always cash poor. History of bad decisions during the last several decades. Reactionary rather than proactive.

Corrective actions during the last couple of decades are too much gimmick, and not enough deep, cultural change. Mandates come from Headquarters but lose their intended effect by the time they are applied to line staff. ARC needs to build an effective bridge between the vision of senior leadership and the multitude who actually perform the work. I recommend building a broad team of liaisons at the supervisor and department lead level (this is the point of cultural traction). Inspire them, provide them training/tools to influence their peers, and commission them to spread the vision(s). I realize this has been done before, but it has not been sustained, monitored and reinforced. It should be like waves on a beach- unceasing. Wave after wave of inspiration, hope, and group identity: Exceptional customer service, efficiency, employee excellence, quality. Deep in every person's heart is a desperate desire to be on a winning team. Make them believe they are the best, and they will be the best.

Always changing

Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a wonderful opportunity for continuous training and immediate leadership

Cons

They are in a flux state right now with both employees and volunteers, its a bit shifty ground to stand on.

Be open with your changes and be willing to seek help from those below you with more experience. Being able to get things done doesn't always make a good manager.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many chances and choices for advancement.

Cons

Benefits and compensation continually under pressure

Happy with my position, but uncertainty about the future makes work life challenging.

Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The feeling that you are contributing an organization that makes a difference in people's lives.
    The importance of the goal of providing safe and available blood for patients.
    Reasonably good compensation.

Cons

There have been numerous Reductions in Force both inside my department and around the company. There is a looming budget deficit that will probably mean yet more layoffs. Morale is low and uncertainty high.

It is disheartening to see so many people laid off when upper management continues to be paid extremely well, especially in the upper levels of Biomedical Services.

American Red Cross Response

Oct 3, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are always pleased to hear praise for our mission, and could not fulfill it without our dedicated employees and volunteers. It is true that we are ... More

assistant type of position

I worked at American Red Cross part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with amazing, caring people in own department. Other departments not so much. Learned a lot about interractions between departments and who to trust and who not to trust. The Red Cross has a great mission and is a respected organization on a national level.

Cons

Constant rumors of layoffs, changing working conditions. Didn't know from one day to next if your position would still be viable and still be there.

Communicate more honestly with employees about future of company and wh

Challenging

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Portland, OR

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mission makes work fulfilling. Blood donors are great to work with

Cons

Lack of transparency
    Too many changes to try to save money, end up costing more

Value your employees by caring about them

American Red Cross - Blood Service

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed my work very much. This was my "dream job" as working with all Departments within the organization.

Cons

American Red Cross – GOA “Re-engineering” of the organization in Little Rock. As a result of the “Re-engineering”, my previous position as Mobile Staff Scheduler has been moved to St. Louis Red Cross.

Keep your employees in the loop of what is going on with upcoming changes; please allow greater than 3 to 4 weeks notice to your higher educated employees and the employees who are 40 plus. Many of us take pride in our responsibilities as a member of ARC. Please consider all aspects, in order to allow other opportunities within the organization.

American Red Cross Photos