American Red Cross Reviews

Reset
2.9
American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in peoples lives every day (in 37 reviews)

• You are helping people which is the bottom line (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Change that makes work life balance nearly impossible (in 19 reviews)

• The upper-management is detached (in 34 reviews)

No real understanding of how the organization works, or what is needed to save the business

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Overall Mission and dedication of line staff is inspiring. These people keep the organization going despite the mismanagement at the top. As in any organization people resist change, but in this case it is warranted because the proposed changes are usually ill informed.

Cons

Revolving top management continues to disappoint, with decreasing competence. Significant change is required to save the business, and new regimes fail to study the situation before they enact solutions, which are always misdirected. Any employee with any seniority is seen as part of the problem, and therefore is discounted, ignored or displaced.

Advice to Management

Step back and truly analyze the situation and solutions, forget about the DC Beltway mentality

Payng unnecessary managment

Current Employee - Emergency Relief Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Emergency Relief Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

for the American RedCross ..none there is a "waste " of donated income in satisfying salary requirement for, suposedely, ad-honorem Board member positions. who are taking care of the " International Insititution" as a personal company, just taking value on the appearances and not in real productive field work!. lack of the universal and independance principles, due to having been too closely related to Armed Forces, which gives to the Principle of Universality and Neutrality a bad name internationally, There is the main reason wem the American Red Cross, have lost it " prestige" we once had with our sister federartions

Cons

lack of the universal and independance principles, due to having been too closely related to Armed Forces, which gives to the Principle of Universality and Neutrality a bad name internationally, There is the main reason wem the American Red Cross, have lost it " prestige" we once had with our sister federarations,\ if they really beleive in the Priciples, their performance should be towards inproving our acctions towards our communities ( groups) not individuals

Advice to Management

if they really beleive in the Priciples, their performance should be towards inproving our acctions towards our communities ( groups) not individuals.

Great mission, horrible leadership

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

The mission is very honorable, there is something uniquely different about working to help others and working for just a paycheck. You meet a wide variety of people from different backgrounds.

Cons

HQ needs a complete makeover. Instead of laying off employees every quarter, HQ should reevaluate its leadership. The organization is also stuck in the past, refusing to move along with the times. It lacks a connection with the younger generation, who will eventually be their key financial supporters. Total lack of respect for chapter employees, the ones who are out in the field and doing all the grunt work. Employees who hold leadership roles do not respect their lower rung employees. Lack of growth potential, no encouragement to succeed.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, re-evaluate leadership

Completely dsfunctional

Former Employee - Development Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

They have a great mission

Cons

Management is incompetent There are no consequences for incompetent or toxic employees They continually promote poor performers For the most part, senior management is not suited for their positions They cannot retain qualified staff

Advice to Management

Hire qualified candidates for all positions and get rid of poor performing managers

A place where you are taken for granted.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, CT

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

I origainally liked the idea of working for a humanitarian organization like the Red Cross, but after three years of employment, i have never been so disgusted for this so called "non-profit" organization.

Cons

Inability to accomodate a life outside of work. Will not accomodate employees schedule who wish to further education. Incompetant managers who exhibit an extreme lack of communication. Promotions are basically not an option. Management does not take responsibilty for their actions. Misuse of company funds. Equipment is in poor condition and technology is outdated. I have personally never worked for such a disorganized company in my entire life. I was quite surprised that a company such as the Red Cross, who stand for humanitarian causes, treats their employees the way that they do. They are a disgrace.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Update equipment. Reevalute work ethic. Treat all employees with respect. Work on communication skills. Hire more nurses. Stop cutting the benefits for employees. Manager money more efficently.

Please don't work for, or donate to, the American Red Cross

Current Employee - Collection Specialist in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Collection Specialist in Manchester, NH

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

-you get paid to travel, if it takes an hour to get to the job site, you get that hour at your pay rate -coworkers can be fun -when it's slow, you get paid to do nothing

Cons

-for a job thats supposed to be non-profit, they sure care a lot about making money -management blatantly just does not care about employees -rules rules rules rules rules -pay is only ok -when it's busy, it feels like a constant dinner rush at a fast food restaurant -rarely does someone compliment you on your hard work, most people (donors, sponsors, management, donor recruitment, everyone) looks at us like gears in a machine. -late ending drive (not home till 10) followed by a start time of 6 AM the next day. -drives are constantly understaffed, goals seem to be set unrealistically -I'm a male, so it rarely effects me, but some coworkers constantly gossip about each other, and go out of their ways to make each others lives miserable. -management tries to get you to work harder by using guilt and fear. -constantly given new "best practices" and "corrective actions" to fix an error rate of literally .001% (a "trend" is when 4 or more "problems" are detected in a couple of months, when we can do as many as 4000 procedures a month) -staff are treated as children, with constant micromanagement, and tons of rules, by management that has absolutely no idea how the process works. - (non-needle/blood bag) equipment is outdated and sometimes downright broken, making the easy part of the job sometimes harder than necessary. -constantly told "you're helping to save lives!" to try and make the work experience seem worth it all, but actions speak louder than words.

Advice to Management

EVERY employee should have to start as a collection specialist to see what happens at the bottom, so that decisions stop being made by people that don't actually know what's going on. Management should also listen to advice given at practically every all staff meeting by employees that deal with blood donors everyday.

American Red Cross Blood Services (NC)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

The organization's name recognition --looks good on resume for future employers

Cons

NO career growth, no career advancement, low pay, horrible hours, non-supportive management

Advice to Management

Provide balance between work and life-it is a humanitarian organization after all!

Strong mission but poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Working for Red Cross provides you with the satisfaction of knowing you are part of an organization that, historically speaking, has made it their mission to help out in times of need.

Cons

That said, years of mismanagement and poor fiscal responsibility has made it a huge gamble for employees. Ask anyone who has been part of the organization how many times they have either faced a layoff themself or seen their department or function impacted by layoffs. You're better to volunteer at a local chapter and avoid becoming part of the paid ARC staff.

Advice to Management

Your organization is a vital one, and it's survival depends on the ability to attract and retain the people that can carry it forward.

Wouldn't go back

Current Employee - Telerecruitment Supervisor in Westminster, MD
    Current Employee - Telerecruitment Supervisor in Westminster, MD

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

It was close to home. I loved my employees. Benefits and vacations were great if you were allowed to use it without guilt.

Cons

Managment showed lack of caring for employees. Middle managment was treated badly and held responsable for things outside our our control.

Advice to Management

The CEO Needs to really pay better attention to what is really happening out in the field. Not everything is roses and sunshine.

Constant harassment and incompetence

Former Employee - Blood Collections Specialist in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Blood Collections Specialist in Murray, UT

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Perhaps there are better jobs outside of the collections department. Many people who start in collections stick with it long enough to work in a different department and seem happy, but very few people work long-term in collections.

Cons

I heard jokes and offensive comments about women, jews, rape, black people, hispanics, etc without fail every single week from staff there. Several from my trainers, one who expressed that "men are just better than women" to a group of trainees, including myself. I spoke up about it and nothing was done. I came from a hospital background and found that most instructors had no technical knowledge of how blood products are actually used medicinally. My instructor fell asleep on the first day of teaching us about our job at the company, and his boss came in the room and thought it was funny. No one in management could figure out where one employee (who had to commute for mandatory training) was supposed to clock in, and the issue was not resolved for months. When I got fed up and quit there wasn't anyone to actually quit to that day, so I sent an email to their concerns group about why I was quitting. HR routinely leaves every friday, and sure enough they were gone before 2 pm that day, so I couldn't even quit to them.They sent me a letter saying I had been terminated for not showing up, the next week, even though I had quit and told them so. The sheer incompetency of every single department was apparent to me while working there. The additional week meant they subtracted 400$ from my remaining checks (their insurance is EXPENSIVE and not good). My first check was full, for one week of work, but every check after that retroactively subtracted additional pay for benefits, even though I didn't have my cards yet. When I called to ask how to get my money back for the last month of checks no one knew who to talk to. The collections department is not allowed to have breaks longer than 30 minutes, even when working long shifts, which seems as though it is illegal.

Advice to Management

If you don't do something serious, someone is going to file a lawsuit for a hostile work environment soon. Trainers and managers need to be disciplined for the environment they have created there.

Showing 991 of 1,064 reviews