American Red Cross

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference (in 22 reviews)

• It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse (in 27 reviews)

• Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Becoming a Corporate Charity

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Mission and Positive Employees and Volunteers

Cons

In the midst of a Nationwide Re-org.
    Still not very effcient

Don't loose the connection to the community and volunteers while cutting costs.
    Start & support true innovation that supported the mission.

Time Appreciated

Current Employee - Collections Specialist II/Supervisor
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist II/Supervisor

I have been working at American Red Cross part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've learned much about myself with regards to management, customer relations and patience. There is room for growth if you display a strong work ethic and passion for the original culture of the company.

Cons

Typical disconnect between higher ups and people who deal with donor relations on a daily basis. Important ideas and concerns are just not appreciated or heard, which presents a problem for our reputation as a humanitarian organization.

Active listening is imperative for any company to sustain.

Volunteer Manager

Current Employee - Volunteer Manager  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Volunteer Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with volunteers and meeting blood donors

Cons

The organization now follows a corporate model.

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good,more bad times.

Former Employee - Phlebotomist II/CHARGE NURSE/HAEMONETICS TECH II  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist II/CHARGE NURSE/HAEMONETICS TECH II in Baltimore, MD

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay very well. Good perks. Sometimes.

Cons

The upper management is horrible. They have no clue as to what's needs to change, who needs to be trained, how to communicate with staff, or/and what staff says about long hours and no help on the field.

Get out there and work with the staff. See what's really going on the field. Get a union. Stop trying to over work your staff. Hire the right people not just people off the street.communicate with your staff. Put your staff first. Listen to the complaints and tweek them.

In positive transition with the rest of DC

I have been working at American Red Cross for more than a year

Pros

Intelligent, thoughtful, dedicated, and capable employees. Pleasantly surprised from the beginning with the quality of team members internally externally at NHQ and regional level.

Very few other non-profits operate at the scale of the Red Cross, which creates data insights, job roles, and management opportunities not available at other organizations. Transition phase allows employees be a part of the organization at a critical time and see measurable results.

Good balance of work/life compared to private sector.

Cons

Low salary growth/promotion opportunities. You will put in your time to reach management.

High level of autonomy, which is great if you can manage yourself well and work independently. Could be challenging for entry level/new hires to have less direction and support.

Balance the need to execute and make decisions with data gathering, which at times creates delay without a proportionate improvement in decision quality.

Management and strategic plan constantly changing

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Great insurance, flexible schedule, good office culture and a good amount of time off, a very worthwhile cause. Some one else said it best. This is an awesome company to volunteer for....not so great to work for.

Cons

Structure changing constantly, you never know from month to month who will get laid off or which positions will be eliminated due to structure changes. The plan is never transparent and middle employees are always left out of the loop. The strategic plan tends to change almost over night. It is impossible to plan for the future when the business that you work for is unable to plan for the future.

Please, please consider becoming more transparent with future changes. It is very hard to have faith in an organization that seems to be "shooting from the hip" and making decisions quickly and without thought

Employees do not matter

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Does good for the community.

Cons

Over all, they only care about the bottom dollar. They really do no care about their employees.

Low Salary
    No growth
    Benefits change for the good of the company, not employee
    No back fill, you will have you do the work of two or three people
    Unrealistic goals and expectations
    Everyone is unhappy, which keeps morale down

Opportunity for growth and potential for salary increases. Consider that not everyone wants to work extra hours every week with no growth or reward. An analogy: you ask for somone to cut down 100 Redwoods, with an ax, in one week, with no help, then add a few more trees mid week. Instead of providing a chain saw, helpers and if there are more treess to add, provide help.

Great

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Pay, coworkers, activities, environment, helping people

Cons

Hours, holiday schedules, managers, non flexible

American Red Cross Intern

I worked at American Red Cross part-time for less than a year

Pros

I had such a wonderful internship coordinator that not only taught how to perform certain duties in the internship job description, but went over and beyond and open many opportunities for me to do such as community outreach corporate program. I am very grateful for the experience and learned so much!

Cons

Company was going through major restructuring nationwide, some were laid off, left it to where some employers had to take on double the work load.

The American Red Cross is a good place to get internship experience while in school.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Peoria, IL

I have been working at American Red Cross as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working at the American Red Cross was a great experience as an intern. My boss let me jump right in and get a chance to work right away. I was a recruiter intern and my job was to phone screen candidates for call center positions. It gave me some solid recruiting experience and a chance to work with some great people.

I also really believe in the mission of the organization, which I think is very important in any place you want to work.

Cons

The only major con is that most of the American Red Cross internships are unpaid, including my internship.

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!