American Red Cross Reviews

889 reviews filtered by
2.9
American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 37 reviews)

• Helping People in disasters, having a company vehicle to take clients to the doctor (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Very challenging and not for the faint of heart, but very rewarding.

Current Employee - Lead Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Applications Engineer

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on your role, 8+/hr workdays are common, but it's comforting to know you're supporting a good cause. Most employees (and volunteers) are willing to go above and beyond for the company mission.

If you are highly skilled and motivated, it's a great place to leave your mark. Management is very open to changes (especially if it means greater efficiency and better use of donor dollars), but you must be prepared to fully support and carry out your ideas. Talk is cheap, and tangible actions are highly valued.

If you're not particularly skilled, but highly motivated, it's a great place to sharpen your skills. Management is willing to invest in your learning curve, but expect to be tasked with the same requirements as everyone else.

Cons

The organization is going through some growing pains, so there are many on-going changes. To survive, you'll need to keep an open mind. With new changes, understand that mistakes do happen ("Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity") and that everyone is trying their best to improve the overall organization.

The pay is acceptable, but obviously doesn't compare with a for-profit company. (If you're expecting a high salary, why would you work at a non-profit?)

If you're unmotivated by the organization's mission, you're going to have a bad time.

We need more in-house technical talent. "Budget constraints" are understandable, but It's very disheartening to always hear that excuse. There has to be other ways to attract more highly skilled people.

And if anyone in any management role actually reads this:
    On behalf of staff everywhere, thank you for your hard work.

2. Something to do, but not meaningful.

Former Employee - Operations Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Intern in New York, NY

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

The people were nice. The work was easy. I met a lot of great people.

Cons

Days went by really slow with nothing to do. I don't feel like I learned much or acquired any transferrable skills. Typical problems associated with small non profits

3. Mobile Unit Assistant II

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Get to meet new people and help them

Cons

very long work hours and not appriciated

The company was OK I enjoyed it for the time I was there.

Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

The job was great in the beginning but like every company it has major issules. They were flexible and had decent benefits

Cons

Poor training, poor management, policy

6. Good company

Former Employee - Telerecruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Telerecruiter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Hours, managers, polite coworkers, fun environment

Cons

No family life, holiday schedule

Be more generous of home life

7. Good

Former Employee - Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice environment to work daily

Cons

moved to another location last year

8. IMSA and Disaster Finance Intern

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

I learned more during this internship than I have throughout college. Your mentors push you but also understand you are coming in with minimal knowledge. Employees listen to what you have to say and will take any input you have. I was treated as a full time employee, sat in on all meetings, went to lunches, and had strict deadlines. The best work experience I have ever had.

Cons

There are some managers that are close to useless. Certain individuals seem to hurt the company more than can help it.

Serious Growing Pains

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

Strongly regulated and self effacing. This is an organization with a long standing humanitarian mission

Cons

Huge bureaucracy. Getting any new ideas through to implementation is an ordeal. Simple changes can take up to two years to implement

Value your employees. They really put in a very strong effort because they value the humanitarian mission of the organization. Make careful and logical decisions on your implementations. It appears that they are often ill thought through and at great expense simply because its someones pet project and marketed in a very biased fashion

Low company morale, impossible standards to meet

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

As an account manager, you get to work with some great sponsors who are passionate about their blood drives. However, you will have some who will go behind your back and report any mistake you make to your direct manager. Coworkers are great though, wouldn't survive without them

Cons

Basically nothing is in your control and yet your held responsible for it. For example: snow, computer issues, collections staff over sleeping....all things that can make you miss your goal that you can't control. And yet if you don't hit goal, you're threatened to be put on probation. They criticize every bad blood drive you have for weeks and barely mention (if they're mentioned at all) when you have a successful one.

Understand the fact that sometimes people simply don't want to donate blood. It's a joke that some managers, department heads, and even CEOs of the Red Cross don't donate blood. And yet when an Account Manager runs a blood drive at a company and it doesn't do well, management wants a specific reason why. Why? Because they didn't want to donate just like you don't want to donate.
    Give your employees some slack, treat them like human beings, and stop the lies that we're all doing this for the patients because everyone knows it's all about the money. The only reason I will ever donate blood again after I get out of this job is because I feel bad for the poor Account Managers who will have their head ripped off if they don't hit goal.

Proud but frustrated.

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

You are genuinely helping people both in your community and around the country. You are saving lives.

Cons

Lack of communication. Poor training. Limited opportunities for advancement.

Appreciation is free and goes a long way, even when wages cannot rise.

American Red Cross Photos