American Red Cross

American Red Cross Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern

Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference(in 21 reviews)

• It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse(in 27 reviews)

• Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems(in 24 reviews)

Great Experience

Co Coorindator Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsEveryone was very helpful the job was a delight.

ConsNot enough hours given to walk in volunteers due to others coming in for court appointed volunteer work.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

I had a great experience learning from some very wonderful people who like to give back to their community.

Disaster Specialist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosworking with wonderful people every day.

Consbeing away form home for 3 week disaster service leave.

Wonderful Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsMaking a difference in peoples lives every day. The people are wonderful and work very hard.

ConsA lot of turmoil going on as they make changes to the structure of ARC

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees as peers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible!!!!!!

National Testing Lab (NTL) (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPaid Time Off and thats it

ConsEverything is a CON at this place...from the Dirty dirty dirty labs, to non working equipment (From printers to testing equipment), to being short staffed ALL the time and still expected to meet customer demands. They treat their employees terribly, supervisors are never around except to reprimand, upper management does not care about anything other than the money. MANY MANY false positive tests come out of here...so if you donate you could possibly get a letter stating you are positive for Hepatitis, syphillis, HIV ect...stress out till you see your own doc only to have him tell you the red cross was wrong. The harder you work, the more they expect but they cater to the "Lazy People"...if you are very sick or in the hospital and come back to work with a doctors note it will still go against you. They just DO NOT care about their employees at all. The Public sees the Red Cross that helps in disasters, which is great thing they do.......but in the background the employees in the labs, get treated horribly. and I'm sure if the public knew how nasty the labs are, how nasty they treat their National Testing Lab Employees, and the real reason they have blood shortages i'm pretty sure no one would donate/nor want a transfusion with American Red Cross blood. If there are false positives, there has got to be false negatives and thats a very scarey thing!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the people that work hard, get more involved with whats going on in the labs so you know how stressful it is when equipment doesnt work, we are short staffed and get the labs cleaned...I mean you are dealing with testing blood ... how many get contaminated? it's unbelievable how fooled you have the public in thinking this is a great place....cant wait to get out!

Great place to work

Phlebotomist (Former Employee) Douglasville, GA

ProsI love meeting new people everyday. I loved this organization and its purpose. Helping people with each donation saving 3 lives

Consover worked long hours. May have to wk 1st 2nd or third shift any given day.

Advice to Senior Managementcare about staff

Great to work for a company with a mission.

Quality Assurance Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt is so gratifying working for a company that has a mission to help people. I work in the blood services sector, and while it is highly regulated, hearing the stories of the lives that have positively affected and changed as a result of receiving the blood products helps drive what I do. Salary is competitive and the health benefits are very good in comparison with some other companies.

ConsDue to financial concerns the company is consistently downsizing, so there is a concern with job security right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive to regulatory requirements & quality standards rather than reactive to FDA observations.

Great place to work for.

Intern (Former Employee)

Pros- Strong team spirit
    - Great passionate people
    - Good training

Cons- Long hours during disaster times

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the benefit.

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat people, work environment and mission.

ConsConstant restructuring and reductions in force.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and stick with it.

Account Manger - Donor Recruitment

Account Manager (Current Employee) Farmington, CT

ProsSome of the people are great, volunteers are very dedicated.

ConsBlood Services is In the middle of a re-org, at the beginning of the "re-engineering" we were told that blood services need to cut 20% out the budget ASAP. Basically, upper management re-engineered themselves in to good jobs & never looked back. Upper management has no focus on the blood donor, or sponsor - it is okay to make donors wait. And push corp. sponsors to do more.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to make this a sales organization, blood donors are volunteers treat them with respect. Management should consider hiring the right people for the job instead of protecting their friends while re-engineering.

Great Mission!

ProsEvery day I knew I was saving a life.

ConsI was always on call.

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!