American Red Cross

Updated December 18, 2014
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 37 reviews)

• Helping People in disasters, having a company vehicle to take clients to the doctor (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Constant change

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

The mission is great and fuels progress

Cons

constant change makes working here difficult

Wonderful People/Lousy Management

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work for the ARC are caring and committed, It was true joy to come to work and know that I would not face office politics, gossip, etc. The ARC has made enormous strides in the last few years to bring blood collection and blood product manufacture operations up to date.

Cons

Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure. These changes have resulted in massive layoffs and a work force that is continually off balance and insecure.

Pick one way to do things and stick with it. Don't keep adopting the Next Big Thing; this practice keeps employees nervous and unhappy.

Love what I do, do not love the company, politics, managers, or the double standards.

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Boise, ID

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good way to get phlebotomy experience and become very close with coworkers and donors.

Cons

Long hours, travelling, subject to weather, load and unload equipment, sometimes in questionable environments and not easy in or easy out loading.

Listen to your phlebotomists, the hardest working people in the company.

Top down/matrix mgmt/org changes have disengaged donors & released many too many experienced & passionate employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Their Mission - The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.

Cons

ARC considers itself a grassroots organization, but it has spent years corporatizing operations, and eliminating local communities connection to the organization.

Reduce the number of top level managers, suspend all executive bonuses and "Engage" your most valuable resource - your employees - in a real exchange of ideas before it's too late!

Disaster Services, The Real Disaster...

Former Employee - Disaster Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Disaster Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Disaster volunteers are wonderful to work with. Great opportunities to assist disaster clients locally and work alongside others who believe in the mission.

Cons

Staff is under appreciated and constantly on edge due to organizational changes every 10-16 months. Decisions made at the national level do not take into account geopolitical issues at the local level and are therefore creating problems between regional staff and local partners. I heard too many complaints about Red Cross closing offices and eliminating local staff, creating an impression that Red Cross is no longer there for the COMMUNITY. Very poor work/life balance, and with the hours you are expected to put in during normal day to day operations, you would expect a reasonable salary. Yes, it's a non profit so you can't expect to make it big, but managing disaster operations in 8+ counties and making less than half what a single counties emergency manager makes is ridiculous.

Stop changing, focus on the mission and the clients, return to a local COMMUNITY DRIVEN organization, not a giant corporate structure. Gail McGovern does not have community interests in mind, and the community IS the Red Cross's main focus.

Disaster Service Volunteer-Sandhills Chapter

Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Disaster Specialist in Sumter, SC

I have been working at American Red Cross as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The Red Cross provides a great opportunity to work with like minded individuals who are passionate about service and helping others. The chapter I worked with in particular would go above and beyond our limitations to make sure our clients were well taken care of. Even though we only had 3 paid staff in our office, NOBODY was ever treated like they werent important. We have volunteers as young as 16 and as old as 82. These ladies and gents truly are the epitome of serving our fellow men and women.

Cons

Dysfunction and constant region/area realignments leaves the office in a rut at least once every quarter(3months). One quarter this position will be here the next quarter it could be gone and the individual in that position will have no idea what hit them. So many times around the same time periods we'd have a lot of meetings to go to or conference calls just to confirm who'll be back and/or who wouldnt. Luckily nobody has been cut from our office but the fear here is always there.

Don't change your passion.

Truly miss the Mission...The Red Cross is not the community support system it once was...

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mission could survive, does not look favorable. Some of the middle managers worked tirelessly to meet unrealistic goals while change in practice was a constant conference call away.

Cons

Mismanagement is rampant and contrived. Cut throat management is very appropriate as a description of performance expectations. Pay in the southern states is marginal at best. layoffs and threats of layoff create a very hostile territorial work environment.

LOL..call Donald Trump..He would fire you on the spot. Stop the constant reorganizations, get control of you regional managers or stop pressuring them to cannibalize their staffs. The volunteers can not keep up with the constant changes. Your people who work tirelessly are tired and are leaving. Your talent pools are dwindling. Could be this was the plan, if so I certainly made the correct decision to leave.

Overwordked and Underappreciated

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician I in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician I in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Satisfaction of helping people in need

Cons

Long Hours
    Little appreciation for you efforts
    Union company that does nothing for you
    Poor Benefits
    Little room for advancement

Volunteers free up the money for management salary bumps.

I have been working at American Red Cross part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They're consolidating regions. Instead of local offices, you get an employee in one state managing a group in another state... It's been a confusing and frustrating transition.

Cons

They want all the community classes taught by volunteers who don't receive enough training or support. I'm concerned about quality.

Loved the company, hated the pay and the direction

Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Able to network with others at company events that support and donate to American Red Cross. Great organization for volunteering and beginning a career in disaster management, crisis management, disaster response.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, few opportunities for advancement,

American Red Cross Photos