American Red Cross

Updated January 27, 2015
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 37 reviews)

• Helping People in disasters, having a company vehicle to take clients to the doctor (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Do Not Have Any Hopes for the American Red Cross!

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The People that are left after this last lay-off are amazing to work with.

Cons

Upper Management is out for filling there own pockets and could care less about anyone else. I would not donate to them or Volunteer. Always lay-offs.. Long term employees are gone at the blink of an eye. You can be the perfect employee for years, then when it comes time to lay you off.... They find something to make you feel horrible.
    The help they give people is very limited. Maybe 1 night in a hotel and maybe $40 in clothing if needed. It is pretty bad. Of course they may feed, but only a minimum amount. They are waiting for another huge disaster so they can hire more people besides the Gift Planners, then lay them off when possible. It is awful what they do. For a non-profit, they could care less about anything.

Learn how to treat your employees and volunteers. You wonder why your organization isn't making it. Large companies should know there BIG donations go in the pockets of CEO's etc..... Pretty bad!!!

ARC

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Works around continuing education

Cons

Management, salary, schedule, people, compensation

Stop hiring uneducated people

I love my job. Its challenging. But managment is horrible, cost cutting every week at the expense of donors and employees. Low morale. So many talented people have left. Its sad.

Current Employee - Super in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Super in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i love the mission. I love my coworkers and the donors.

Cons

management is horrible. Cost cutting to get their bonus.

please take care of the front line. Union is pur only hope.

Current collections

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

The mission is a good one. coworkers are unique and wonderful, even the ones that you might not be that thrilled about at first.

Cons

This place is a like a bomb waiting to explode. DO NOT...I REPEAT... DO NOT WORK HERE!!! Unless you want to lose your favorable impression of this organization in less than 12 weeks. I am pretty sure the top level consists of none other than Satan. When you work for the American Red Cross you are working for an employer who hates you and wishes you would just die already. The only caveat is that they hope you lapse on your life insurance before you kick the bucket so they don't have to pay it out to you grief ridden family. There is absolutely no support for management when there are problems in the field. The person who makes your schedule is vindictive and will assign you to the very worst blood drives as far away from your home as possible if you have the nerve to upset him by calling off because you are half dead and contagious. You will put thousands of miles on your car and spend thousands more in gas without a hint of compensation. The organization is a complete disaster. You are forced to work short staffed and often without the necessary supplies or equipment. Then, just when you go above and beyond to make things happen and you feel proud of the lemonade that you made from the moldy and rotten lemons that they gave you, they flip the script and scold you for not doing better or for not following some ridiculous regulation that has no effect on blood safety or anything else.
    It is a daily struggle to exist in such a demoralizing environment. You can do no right and all you do is never enough. But management makes big time mistakes on a daily basis and nothing is ever said.
    Please understand this is just my humble opinion and I have the highest regard for the majority of my coworkers but I have never ever seen a more poorly run organization.
    LET ME BE 100% CLEAR. The Red Cross at its most upper level DOESNT CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO BLOOD DONORS. Donors are Dollar signs. If you happen to be O- then you are an extremely valuable cash cow to keep on milking. Just look at how many phone calls you get when your 56 days are up? But at least they have the vaguest regard for your life because you can keep bringing home the bacon. If you really knew how they treated the people who come to work everyday, year after year, giving all they have got to this organization only to be told they still aren't good enough, and to be treated with such disrespect, you would stop donating your blood to American Red Cross. If your nurse or tech seems less than enthusiastic, it not because he/she doesn't like you. It is because he/she has no work/life balance and is tired and discouraged and waiting for the next reprimand or scolding despite the most sincere of efforts. Something has to change here. The public image of this organization and the reality for its workers are polar opposites. Don't take a job here now. It's not worth the suffering.

If management listened to advice they would have taken care of the people on the front line in order to increase morale and win the hearts of the dedicated donors. Instead they fund ridiculous studies, receive even more ridiculous monetary bonuses, rack up millions in preventable FDA fines and treat their most productive and important staff like idiot slaves. Won't be long before they run this thing into the ground and find themselves scrambling to make ends meet. Greed and politics rule the American Red Cross. Enjoy it while you can. Sorry for the Donors who think they are more than just a number or a barcode. To me you are, but to the Red Devil you really aren't.

Almost 5 years of complete and utter hell. Run, don't walk, far away from this place!

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician II in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician II in Johnstown, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The 2 or 3 genuine,kind hearted people I worked( out of about 30) with made the nights somewhat bearable.

Cons

You can't go to management. You are labeled a rat if you do, and it honestly doesn't get you anywhere. They do nothing about anything. Been maliciously "set up" numerous times by one employee. They did nothing, in fact backed her. Only when I screamed lawyer did they back off and leave me alone for the time being. Job is certainly not worth the mental anguish and stress on a day to day basis. They've tried to establish a union in this place several times, but most of the "sheeple" are too stupid to understand it's need and benefits.

Fire EVERYONE from the top down. Clean house, and start fresh.

This organization deserves the best but...

Former Employee - Biomedical Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Biomedical Services in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Historic brand recognition with providing blood products/services; Loyalty of long-timers; Support of Headquarters; Committed volunteers

Cons

Very few employees/managers do the work; handful of others that do the work do so with significant obstacles (lack of resources, turnover, no accountability of some senior managers, dysfunctional work behaviors; favoritism).

Set higher expectations of workplace accountability; Commit to exiting non-performing employees; Hire the right people and give them resources to succeed; Ongoing training to supervisors.

If you want to learn about the culture, just see how disingenuous the responses are to people's reviews.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission and the fact that all the worker bees really care about it.

Cons

Leadership and management are so disingenuous. We are facing huge challenges and they appear to have no idea what they are doing. Morale is awful but mad morale is improved by leadership setting the tone, and not just through words but with actions. You can clearly see that all the responses to the reviews on this site are written like talking points. They are not written like they actually care about what the reviewer said, they are not even directed at the reviewer but at the audience.

Stop being so fake. Admit you have no idea what you are doing with this latest reorg and seek input from the people actually doing the work. Stop showing us every day that we don't have value. Get out of your conference rooms and offices and take a walk around the buildings and say hello to your staff who are working their hearts out. And stop having HR write these responses unless they are actually going to be sincere.

Employee that was loyal but at the end it did not matter.

Current Employee - Scheduler in Douglasville, GA
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Douglasville, GA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They make sure that the blood is there for the patients that need it. Some of the coworkers are great. Medical plans are the best.

Cons

After been with the company for almost 7 year there are so many stories that I could tell you about this company. There was never any room for growth. Management never listened to any ideas that the employees has they just expect for you to do it and never complain. I was said to be a hard worker but i had an attitude at time. Well let see in the years been there my hourly rate only changed $1.00. In the department that worked in there was an opening for a position that was not posted it was just given to another member in the department. I had more education that everyone in the department. whenever someone else did not do what they was supposed to do it was just give to me and said that i need to fix it however there was never any more money involved. Once I had been gone from the company for about 3 weeks I did not get my last pay check because HR still had me in the system as an active employee. It seems like when whenever you leave the company employees have to go back up to the office and asked for money that is owe to them. This is something that happens a lot with this company which is a huge problem because people need their money and they have worked hard for it. When you call to speak to someone in HR they never call you back. Which makes you more up set and they don't understand why people get up set about there money. It you have been an employee that has been there whenever they needed you too and you actually believed in the mission of the company and you give up hours of lunch time came in on days that you were schedule to be off and made sure everything was done on time the less they could do is to make sure that they give you your money when it do to you and not have you wait an additional week when someone on there end dropped the ball.
    No one at this company ever like to own up to their wrongs or mistakes they love to throw the blame and the decisions that the management team makes does not make sense. When you see something wrong and you bring it to there attention so that they correct it before the staff notice it they tell you that that is just the way it is going to be and they are not going to change it however when the staff tells the CEO of the company about the they same thing that you brought to their attention they act as if they knew nothing about it.
    If you have ideas management tell you that they want to hear it but they actually do not want to hear what you have to say and you have wasted your time and their as well.
    Be careful with this company because there is no room for growth if you are good at what you do they will do what ever it takes to keep you in at department they will put blocks on the job that you applied for and tell you that there is a hiring freeze. They will tell the other manager of the department that you would get bored with the position and quit. However they have the person in mind that they want for the position and it does not have to do with their skills set it has to do with if they like the person or not and it also has to do with getting the person in there that they feel that they can tell them do what ever and they will not ask any questions so that once you have done it and it is wrong they will come back and blame you for what they told you to do. Management does not back up their employees not matter how hard you work for them they expect you to be loyal but they are not.

When employee are leaving make sure you have everything in order so that they can get the money that is owe to them.
    Promote people base on skill sets and not on weather or not you like them.
    HR need to make sure they have everything in order when it comes to employee leaving so that they can get their money.
    No one cares about the employees that have worked there hardest for the company when it comes raise time it need to base on the employee and their work habits and not on weather or not you liking them.

There are so many negative reviews they hired someone to respond ,this organization is a DISASTER

Current Employee - Disaster Specialist
    Current Employee - Disaster Specialist

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Volunteers at least a few are wonderful people, do not work here EVER! Volunteering on the other hand can be rewarding because since your free labor they treat you better than any staff member.

Cons

Everything, from top to bottom, I have never seen so many incompetent people in one place at one time. I gurantee you that the government or National Board of Directors will step in and make some serious changes. Many companies such as Wal-Mart are doing For Profit disaster relief because they see how bad things are at the Red Cross. The ARC Always Ready To Change is going to be a thing of the past. You can't survive on a brand forever trust me and look what has happened since 2008.

They never listened before why would they now?

Gail McGovern is driving it into the ground

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer - Regional
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer - Regional

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The organization has an amazing mission and does amazing work for the people of the country and the world.

Cons

Gail has hired so many cronies from around the country that it is becoming such a horrible organization to work for. They are laying of 30% of the people, not treating them with respect or honoring loyalty. They mismanage everything. No one is happy. Everyone is looking to leave and Gail hasn't been fired. Any other company or organization would have cut the head off the snake. They ask the staff to do more with less and less and they expect staff to give all of their time and have no life. I have been in the non-profit world for 20 years and would say this is the most awful place I have worked.

Stop hiring Gail's cronies and get rid of the bad leadership and start over.

American Red Cross Photos