American Red Cross Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Fair

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very mission focused. Steady Pay with Benefits. Good Resume Builder with in the Human Services/ Non Profit Field. Never the same day.

Cons

Good Ole Boy Network at its Best! Incompetent Volunteers carry too much weight while hard working loyal paid staff have no voice. Overworked Paid Staff expected to do more than they can handle. Long Hours kills family life! Management in DC has no clue what the field deals with. Too many changes implemented with no feedback from the field.

Advice to Management

Listen more to its employees.

2. Shelter Coordinator for Red Cross

Former Employee - Shelter Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Shelter Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Red Cross part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work in impoverished neighborhoods and help people secure temporary shelters after something happens to their homes

Cons

it's a high risk and low reward type of environment with bosses always hounding you for not doing work to their standards

Advice to Management

Step up.

3. CEO completely out of touch, poor culture and HR practices

Current Employee - Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Service delivery to those in need

Cons

CEO completely out of touch. Relies on select few for information and forms judgements on individuals based on what his favorites tell him. Decisions are made in a vacuum. Terrible organizational culture and HR practices have historically been corrupt. Only those that suddenly fall out of the favorites list get investigated or reprimanded. Blind eye is turned on others. No sense of neutrality and objectivity. It only takes one person's opinion to trash others' reputation many times. I have seen really good, ethical people leave out of disgust.

Advice to Management

Get a 360 degree view and be objective before forming opinions. Give everyone a chance to be heard and express their ideas. Let people feel included and part of the decision making process when possible. Do not turn a blind eye when you know someone is doing something wrong. Hold ethics above all else. Hold everyone accountable equally.

uncooperative and under compensated

Former Employee - PR Intern
    Former Employee - PR Intern

I worked at American Red Cross part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment for young interns. The intern group was fantastic. Got along with the staff in the personal sense, but found the office itself unorganized. I was the pr intern and felt important.

Cons

Hard to grow and develop skills to use in other environments. I wish I had known the issues my superiors had with the company before I decided to work with them. Superiors were hypocrites, expected me to be their slave and complete any sort of task they came up with. Found out I was not an official intern when I tried to fix the internet on a day the interns and I were the only ones in the office.

Advice to Management

Better delegation and communication skills to all territory leaders. They seem lost, un-enthused and are looking for new jobs.

TeleRecruiter

Former Employee - Telerecruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Telerecruiter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have chances to develop in your position nesting phase. They feed you well during orientation. They give somewhat fair bonuses if you work hard enough...

Cons

They are mis leading the tell you that all donations are for a non profit that's a lie, they sale that blood donations to a third party. They also say that you can move up in the company not true. They lead you to believe that it is a professional, friendly atmosphere, that's a lie. It is super unprofessional, a lot of young people all grouped together gossiping,an extremely high turn over rate for employment. They are prejudice they favor particular ethics,and races. They drill a speech in your head to feed to innocent people about "Te need for blood is so constant", They lie and tell you that they remove donors off of the call list which is a lie, they harass these poor people and continuously call them. If you don't mind lying to people, and being programmed like a robot, well this would be a great position for you. I worked there for two years and walked out on lunch one day to never return. This is the worse call center job that I have everrrrr..worked for. I would rather pack pavement everyday of my life appose to becoming a recruiter for the American Red Cross.

Advice to Management

Get it together, Focus on your company's Moral. Be more passionate to your employees, and try harder to bring professionals in the door, rather than desperate people.

7. Decline of an Icon

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provides life saving products and comfort to those in need.

Cons

The leadership in the company is comprised of fallout from companies that have failed. Now not surprisingly the company has turned into the most unhumanitarian humanitarian organization. Fiscally irresponsible and falling fast. They still provide much needed relief to the public but the company is imploding fast I would not be surprised to see the company gone in five years.

Advice to Management

Seek sturdy and trustworthy leadership with a proven record of success to try and save the company before the current leadership runs it into the ground.

8. Working for the Red Cross wasn't at all the place, environment or culture I thought it would be.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to work in healthcare with people who aren't sick. To participate in helping to save lives.

Cons

To many bosses, and coworkers who think they are the boss. Managers playing favorites with some employees and conversely very unfairly punitive with other employees.

Advice to Management

See cons and stop doing those things. And quit with the micro management and all the "write-ups"!! Adds unnecessary stress to the job. Also practice what u preach. I saw people get written up for the smallest of infractions and for things that I observed supervisors doing themselves.

9. Elitists Management that is only concerned about their tails and how they appear

Current Employee - Collection Tech II in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Collection Tech II in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Mission and recognized around the world Renowned Brand Committed Chapter Employees Committed Disaster Employees Very hard working field staff on blood mobiles

Cons

Does not care about workers Management is very Self-Serving Inexperienced Leadership Favoritism within Senior Management Wasteful with resources and money

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to stop leading by fear, everyone is afraid of losing his or her jobs. Stop telling people in meetings about how many people has been fired and stop intimidating people so they can work. Management made promises to us during a Union Campaign and most have not been sighted since. They need to appreciate the workers in the field more and stop treating them as disposable and replaceable.

Bl

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Louisville, KY

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can pick up over time, however it is up to the scheduling department where you work at and the time.

Cons

Horrible Management with too much favoritism and unethical actions taken. No room for advancement unless you are a favorite, it does not matter on your education or work ethic. High turnover rate, and scheduling department is unethical, by giving there friends the good hours and shifts, it does not matter your work ethic or the time with the company.

Advice to Management

Learn to be fair and ethical, care about the employees.

Excellence turned into mediocrity

Former Employee - Chapter Operations
    Former Employee - Chapter Operations

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission, great media awareness

Cons

No longer provide direct financial assistance to disaster victims. Hand out sweat pants, a bucket and broom, or provide a cot instead of a hotel room for local disaster victims. Senior management gets bonuses based on profit margin rather than client outcomes. Margin increased is now based on lower level of assistance. Donations for major disasters help offeset balance sheet liabilities rather than helping the images of families on the TV. Will never donate to them again as long as the current senior management team is still employed there.

Advice to Management

To the National Board Chair -appointed by the President of the United States -- stop the bleeding and step one foot outside of DC in a local chapter --and move to replace the senior management team -- all of them for the sake of the future viability of the mission.

Showing 991 of 1,068 reviews