American Red Cross

Updated September 15, 2014
2.9

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Many of the employees are good people who really want to make a difference (in 22 reviews)

• It was also very good to know that I was helping to save lives every day just by going to work (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand they are "non-profit" etc, but that's still not an excuse (in 27 reviews)

• Too much upper management that sometimes does not know your job function which creates problems (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Treated like a piece of crap

Former Employee - DCA  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - DCA in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They will hire anyone, you do not need any kind of healthcare experience.

Cons

Senior managers, which are the direct manager that you report to, are treated like a piece of crap and ordered by upper management to treat us, the blood collection workers, bad and be mean to us because it will make us work harder. WRONG!!! The worst was we were the ones directly in contact with the customers. So if you make me del bad or angry, the next person I will talk to is your money maker. The work-life balance is ridiculous. the shift was different everyday, first and second shift or any hours they wanted.

Give the front line workers some respect. You already pay like crap for the work done. Plus job security is a joke. In fact, go kill yourself. That would satisfy me. And let me watch.

Mar 18, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. To clarify, we hire our employees according to required job qualifications; in cases for which a medical background is necessary, we look for candidates ... More

Agree worse place to work

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

when they say good pay it is descent but what makes it good at the end of the day is all the over time you get you never have time to enjoy it. But the co-workers are great after you get t know them

Cons

horrible hours,when they repeatly get fines FDA it's only the workers fault never management and their unprofessional skills of running a business, Have been on FDA's radar for years.

take a long look at how you treat your workers and take accountable for your own actions instead of passing the buck. Did you know happy workers are more productive workers?

Feb 21, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad that, overall, you found your compensation to be fair and that you enjoyed your coworkers. Fostering work/life balance and positive ... More

Are you kidding me

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Make a difference in the community

Cons

Everything. Terrible Management. No concern for the employees.

Feb 7, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Making a difference in the community is a vital part of our mission, and we are glad to hear that this was a positive part of your experience at the ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked in the Health and Safety Department as a CPR Instructor. Great mission, screwy organization.

Current Employee - Health and Safety Instructor  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Health and Safety Instructor in Portland, OR

I have been working at American Red Cross part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to help others and alleviate the suffering of one's fellow man...

Cons

Disorganized and extremely top heavy. It was impossible to get Departments to talk and coordinate. I really don't feel that they care about their people like they should.

Listen more to the troops. Get out of the office on a regular basis and watch service delivery.

Blood Services: hardest, most frustrating job I have ever had

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The mission: we help save lives. Most of the people I work with are like family-a very disfunctional family, but family.

Cons

ARC is floundering-instead of addressing root cause of our problem, which is poor customer service to our donors and sponsors and no ongoing recruitment of new donors (or appreciation of existing ones), they consolidate call centers (so there is no personal touch), have no field management of Collection staff, so there are a lot who are lazy, inept and uncaring and prefer to do Facebook on their phone than interact with our donors. Drives begin late, supplies aren't taken, there are no programs to entice NEW donors, so we harass our existing ones. The latest bone-headed move is to allow more appointments to be made than we have staff able to process. So potentially (10) donors could all come in when there are only (5) appointment slots at a blood drive. Way to value and thank our donors, Red Cross! We already can't process donors in the time we are supposed to, so let's DOUBLE that amount!! Collections, Donor Recruitment and Hospital Services work HORRENDOUS hours-there IS no balance. People DREAD each day and turnover is ongoing.

Get someone with some BUSINESS sense to run Blood Services! Pay Collections a decent wage so we can get more who actually care (as MANY of them do-"one bad apple") so we can FIRE the ones who aren't good.

Donor Recruitment Representative

Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative
    Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Working with sponsor groups to help the actual people who care to make a difference.

Cons

Long hours, little pay, very poor management. work every weekend. A lot of politics in the office. All management cares about is numbers and uses natural disasters to push their numbers. Very sad place to be a part of.

When hired you might want to train or tell the new employees what the job they are actually ding is.

Philanthropic Deception, abuse of power and brand.

Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative, Account Manager
    Former Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative, Account Manager

I worked at American Red Cross full-time for more than a year

Pros

Few good sales and recruitment trainings. Red Cross is a recognizable name, good networking opportunity. Looks like a large restructuring is in near future, in a few years this may make it a much better organization.

Cons

Management is completely out of touch. When employees bring up issues the response is "deal with it," and no action is taken to see if the issue real, why the employee is upset or what can be changed. Management often responds to issues with “it is what it is…deal with it.”

Salaried workers are expected to work long hours (50-60+ a week) "because they are salaried." When in regional meetings recruiters are told that they should spend less that 25% of their time doing administrative tasks but there are no administrative assistants or support staff. All support people have left and have not been rehired. (See: speed up)

Management does what they can to prevent employees from receiving incentive pay. For example, if the trucks break down on the way to a blood drive the recruiter is held responsible. If the staff who are supposed to work at the blood drive need to call out sick and the drive is short staffed, the recruiter is held responsible. If there is a large snow storm that knocks out all power and blocks road, recruiter is held responsible.

Meetings with manager usually consisted on manager looking at computer screen, either answering emails or shopping for clothing rather than having a conversation about how employee was doing in position.

Recruiters are not asked for their opinions. If something goes slightly wrong or if recruiter has a drive that does not come into goal then management is incredibly interested in why and asks for essays explaining from recruiter. However, when something goes well nothing is said. No positive encouragement.

Many workers are looking for a new job and "need to get out." It is sad how negative the culture can be at times.

Though the need for blood has dropped 14% and is expected to continue to drop about another 14% collection goals have not been adjusted, they have been raised. Often hear rumors of blood being thrown away because it cannot all be processed. When management is asked about it, question is not addressed they just want names to find where rumor is coming from. Very conflicting and if this is not true it should be told that is it not true....so is it?

Information is not shared so often employees are left in the dark. Change seems near impossible. HR department is hard to reach and does not respond to employee with questions, HR representatives will take questions and reach out to employee’s managers first before responding to employee.

Sexist environment, inappropriate comments often made about employees bodies, appearance and sex life. Often times terms such as “Lazy Bitch” and “whore” are heard in the office as reference to fellow coworkers who are not present.

Management likes to express political beliefs with strong passion in meetings. Management is very anti-union. When management tried to rid of many health care benefits and union workers stood up for their needs it was expressed very openly how easily replaceable everyone was.

Racist tendencies when it comes to serving and working in areas with minorities. Very negative things said about areas with predominantly minorities, employees often advised to lock doors in car when drive though certain parts of town. Needs to work on having management and staff respect and accept people from various cultures and backgrounds.

No training or orientation for new recruiters in their positions, just a long training on the history of the Red Cross.

Took over 3 months and numerous calls to HR to be paid for last months work.

Restructure everything. Train managers. Give everyone diversity/sexual harassment training. Hire more people from outside the current organization.

A disaster within itself

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Positive mission (in it's intentions...)

Cons

Huge mismanagement and wasteful spending with very few dollars actually getting to the clients, extremely poor leadership (both at Seattle directorship and nationally) , long hours (60+ per week), poor partner relations (monopolizes the publicity and donations with little return on value) and no staff support.

Admit you are bankrupt due to your practices and fold

The Red Cross Sweatshop.....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Forged some friendships that will last a life time. Other than this, there not a lot of good things one can say about working for the Red Cross......

Cons

No room for advancement unless someone above you leaves or die. Learned what kind of manager not to be while working here. Senior Leadership has no clue about operations in the field. Moral is at rock bottom levels. ARC is currently downsizing again and looking for very cheap labor. IT Systems are a wreck with Unisys now in the picture. Currently going through "Biomedical Re-Engineering" which only means more staff will be out the door and more promotions for leadership.

It is very hard to believe how NHQ and Field Leadership has ran this ship into the ground. Please get rid of your worthless directors, CEO's and VP's. They are 99% of the ARC's problem.

Financial Mess with Incompetent and Entrenched Executive Management that Are Accountable to No One.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You may think that you go there to help people, but the first time you hear someone in executive management say, "We are hurting financially, and we need another disaster," you stomach twists and you feel sick

Cons

The Chapter side laid off about 30% of its workers in the last 3 years and the biomedical side is in the process of laying off 15+% of their workforce. If you want stability of any kind, do not work at the Red Cross. Management hides the true financial disaster of the company because they are worried that it would hurt donations. For the last 5 years there have been 2 layoffs a year in Biomedical and they are in a major reorganization right now that could decimate employees. The worst morale that I have ever seen or could ever imagine, the endless layoffs just destroys people and the BEST people all are leaving because they don't want to deal with the endless financial mess and never ending layoffs.

Tell the public what the true financial situation is with the Red Cross before you take their money and then your huge cut of it.

American Red Cross Photos

Worked for American Red Cross? Contribute to the Community!