American Red Cross

www.redcross.org
Employer Engaged

Horrible! Worst place I have worked in my entire life and I've been working at least 30 years.

Current Employee - Administrative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission and employees are dedicated to carrying it out.

Cons

Management is the worst. I don't know where they get these individuals.

Hire competent managers with fresh new ideas.

Unprofessional

Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Columbia, SC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Saving a human life and knowing I contributed to that.

Cons

Over worked ,underpaid, no room for advancement.

Get a clue. There is no I in team,appreciate your employees and the work they do.Step in and help your team,defend your team. Have faith and reward your employees, don't skip over them with raises.

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

We are glad that hear you find your work fulfilling and thank you for raising your concerns about the job environment and employee rewards. We are concerned with improving our employee satisfaction ... More

Inhuman and Profit Oriented

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The mission and prestige in belong to an organization with great humanitarian cause.

Cons

This organization is so mismanaged and they do not care for their first line supervisors and collection staff. The work hours were erratic and there was no life balance. The senior management at the Chesapeake/Potomac Chapters were slave drivers. There was no compensation for a job well done. It sad when your "field manager tells you why are you here you have so much more potential". Miles of driving and their compensation is an insult they thing teh DC,MD, VA have only straight roads. While the upper management are sitting in their air conditioned and heated rooms the collection team are exposed to the worst working conditions while they are overwhelmed by donors under short staff circumstances. They invested on technology that needs constant updating and training. They concept of LEAN is so warped the executives at Red Cross want to know if they meet their sales quota. They don't care about the blood collection which is performed by tech that are underpaid.

Invest in your staff and actually listen and commit to action. Your approach to retention is so bad when you have to constantly hire new staff every 6 months. Maybe if you made your tech's salary competitive they may actually like working for you. Don't use the mission that's scam to entice them to work for you.

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your honest feedback and for addressing your concerns with the working environment. We know that our collections staff puts in long hard days and we appreciate the work they do. While ... More

Disappointing

Former Employee - Donor and Client Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Donor and Client Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Red Cross name recognition and friendships made that carry on.

Cons

Donor and Client Support Center, NC. Highly dysfunctional. Old style management much like the government and older incested medical institutions. Outdated and old computers and software. Complicated and unnecessary documentation to justify trainers. Managers scared to lose their jobs so front lines are expendable. Staff unnecessarily replaced to save wage costs. Race biased. Fire without warning or even reason at times. Mgmt makes it up as they go and traps people with problems due to Mgmt dysfunction. Pressure people into leaving who speak up about problems. Commit labor law violations where they can get away with it. Horrible pay. High stress to the point of workers developing health issues. Top management doesn't know the importance of customer service and community relations on the biomedical side. What a shame.

Get serious about humane quality or sell the biomedical side. Stop blaming the decreased market place for losing market share. Top Execs: take a group of front line staff to lunch in every region in all major job holdings. No names and no middle management to get the real picture. NO retaliation for information and holes in leadership brought forward. Allow free flow of ideas for improvement from the front lines. See how this compares to the numbers.

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review. While we are glad to hear about the friendships you have made at the Red Cross, we are sorry to hear about your experience in the work environment. Under no circumstances ... More

Horrible!!!!!!

Current Employee - National Testing Lab (NTL) in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - National Testing Lab (NTL) in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off and thats it

Cons

Everything is a CON at this place...from the Dirty dirty dirty labs, to non working equipment (From printers to testing equipment), to being short staffed ALL the time and still expected to meet customer demands. They treat their employees terribly, supervisors are never around except to reprimand, upper management does not care about anything other than the money. MANY MANY false positive tests come out of here...so if you donate you could possibly get a letter stating you are positive for Hepatitis, syphillis, HIV ect...stress out till you see your own doc only to have him tell you the red cross was wrong. The harder you work, the more they expect but they cater to the "Lazy People"...if you are very sick or in the hospital and come back to work with a doctors note it will still go against you. They just DO NOT care about their employees at all. The Public sees the Red Cross that helps in disasters, which is great thing they do.......but in the background the employees in the labs, get treated horribly. and I'm sure if the public knew how nasty the labs are, how nasty they treat their National Testing Lab Employees, and the real reason they have blood shortages i'm pretty sure no one would donate/nor want a transfusion with American Red Cross blood. If there are false positives, there has got to be false negatives and thats a very scarey thing!

Embrace the people that work hard, get more involved with whats going on in the labs so you know how stressful it is when equipment doesnt work, we are short staffed and get the labs cleaned...I mean you are dealing with testing blood ... how many get contaminated? it's unbelievable how fooled you have the public in thinking this is a great place....cant wait to get out!

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review. We are vitally committed to safe handling practices with our blood products, as outlined by the FDA. Furthermore, under no circumstances do we tolerate illegal labor ... More

Account Manger - Donor Recruitment

Current Employee - Account Manager in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Farmington, CT

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people are great, volunteers are very dedicated.

Cons

Blood Services is In the middle of a re-org, at the beginning of the "re-engineering" we were told that blood services need to cut 20% out the budget ASAP. Basically, upper management re-engineered themselves in to good jobs & never looked back. Upper management has no focus on the blood donor, or sponsor - it is okay to make donors wait. And push corp. sponsors to do more.

Stop trying to make this a sales organization, blood donors are volunteers treat them with respect. Management should consider hiring the right people for the job instead of protecting their friends while re-engineering.

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your feedback; we agree that our volunteers are dedicated and amazing. Although our re-engineering and ensuing changes were necessary, we recognize that this has been a difficult time ... More

Don't expect support if you are a staff member.

Former Employee - Development
    Former Employee - Development

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The mission itself - helping people recover from a disaster that destroys their lives is extremely rewarding.
    - Wonderful volunteers who are dedicated to helping the organization in whatever capacity they can.

Cons

- One Red Cross. It was understood that change needed to take place for the organization to survive, but this has become so all (and maybe over) encompassing that it has gobbled up all the creativity and initiative, replacing it with a bureaucratic operating 'beast', that it is causing more problems than it is creating solutions.
    - Human Resources - You are occasionally on this board to comment so let me give Human Resource some advice. Read a book about serving celebrities and then implement whatever ideas are in that book. The only thing Human Resources is good for is signing up for benefits. You are reduced to a number there. They do not help, nor do they intend to help, employees who are having issues with other staff at their chapters. You are losing very good, and even excellent, employees because they are afraid to let people at national headquarters human resources know what is happening at their chapters because they fear retaliation. Chapter executive management can be very good at hiding things that are happening and employees are too scared to call the confidential human resources line, fearing that if they do they will lose their job.
    - Poor compensation at the staff level. Fair benefits. Time off is decent but not spectacular. Training offered is only specific to the job.
    - Technology and operations. If your specialty is technology, avoid working for the Red Cross. They do not have technology, they have cloud-based systems that fail when the power or networks go down, and staff who are good with technology often know more than IT does. Not a good way to operate. And stop consolidating back-end operations until you know that the technology you are putting in place to work with those operations really works!
    - Everything else!

- Beta a change at the chapter level before implementing it nationwide. Many changes in the past year have been because someone was reacting to a situation instead of taking a step back and looking at the situation objectively and logically. Make sure the change works, that it solves the problem and doesn't contribute more to it, money and time-wise.
    - Make division executives (fundraising, etc.) who will be creating and implementing massive changes at the chapter level actually visit the chapters and meet with the employees who will actually be implementing to make sure the change is workable.
    - Establish REALISTIC GOALS for fundraising and keep them for the year. Don't change midyear.
    - Be willing to hear from chapters when something is not working and why. They are the ones implementing the changes at the ground level and have the pulse on the volunteers and the communities that the changes effect.
    - Go to main Red Cross webpage and re-read your mission, vision statement and principles, because it seems that there are those who have forgotten them.

Bereft of strategic direction and loaded with incompetent managers who bury head in the sands to avoid leadership needs.

Former Employee - Major Gifts Officer
    Former Employee - Major Gifts Officer

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent benefits. good cause. nice people in the volunteer cadre.

Cons

grossly inadequate salaries. lifers who who have been there 3 and 4 decades need to go to bring in those who do and those who bring new leadership and ideas. I would tell anyone to give to a better more effective organization.

clean house in the management on regional levels and you might start retaining more lower levels staffers who leave in disgust that change and progress never seem to happen.

Jul 11, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

We appreciate your taking time to leave a review. While we must be mindful of our donors' dollars, we also recognize the importance of fairly rewarding our employees and continue to look for ways to ... More

Company does not value employees

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rochester, NY

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers a fairly good time off policy. It is the only area of the job where senority and experience is rewarded.

Cons

The company has really gone down in the years since I began working there. The mindset of the company is to complete as much work as possible with as few employees as possible. They invest their money in the wrong things. While I was employeed there we went three years with out pay raises due to poor leadership decisions. My management did not reward good work ethic. Myself and others in my department would go above and beyond, work long hours, weekends, etc. and it became expected instead of appreciated. They do no reward experience or knowledge.

The message in the Red Cross in Rochester, NY is that it is all about who you know. Knowledge, experience and a good work ethic is not rewarded or promoted. Consider the applicant and their track record. Poor management is continually promoted and tolerated. The company will continue to fail until this changes.

Jul 11, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and address your concerns. We are sorry to hear about your negative experiences with our organization. We want all of our employees to feel valued and ... More

New England Blood Services

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Saving Lives one pint at a time. I can't come up with a 20 word minimum for why I still work here.

Cons

Miserable hours, schedule is different every week you miss out on family events because you never know when you will be home. Blood drive ends at 5 your walking out the door at 7:30 good luck if you have children or pets.

Open your eyes. Stop promoting from with in and hire business professionals. Fix the blood drive hours your not making goal anyway. If people are going to give blood they will. Having a blood drive from 2-7 at mall on Friday for 4 pints of blood isn't cost effective. Total mess and no one gives a crap staff are constantly fighting with one another it's a hostile work environment. Same staff person usually and they allow her behavior.

Jul 11, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the long hours and flexibility that our blood collections staff put into their work. We realize that the scheduling and physical demands of our collections ... More

American Red Cross Photos