American Red Cross Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
889 reviews filtered by

Working Conditions

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Very dedicated people

Cons

People at the top usually have no clue

They have no idea how clueless they are so no advise would be taken.

2. Local Chapters

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

The local chapters are part of the community and of course the depend on local donations, but when in need they are there for the local community. I myself worked as an intern at the Mount Baker Chapter in Bellingham, WA. They taught classes, they provided flood relief and fire relief. The assisted individuals in contacting the proper government agencies as well as other non-profits for assistance so they could bring some normality back into their lives. The American Red Cross volunteers and staff were always outgoing and helpful and I was always impressed how individuals from all walks of life would participate in helping others.

Cons

Sometimes the local chapters were limited (financially) or volunteer staff to provide adequate (immediate) response to assist people and of course in the past people wanting to give to the local chapters were unaware that if not designated for the local chapter the funds would end up in the National pot. Some of the Chapters especially in the Seattle area are in places were getting in traffic to get to them makes the journey unpleasant.

It has been years since I have been involved with the Red Cross so I can not provide any insight without having been apart of working with Management so decline this section, my only advise to Management is to get a feel for the communities that you represent you need to be involved with them. Fundraising is very important but still you need to see the faces of those that need your help and come up with better solutions to helping them quicker and with more substance so they can get back to their lives.

3. Rewarding Career

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

I was with Red Cross Biomedical Services for 12 years. I was extremely passionate about the mission and enjoyed the positions I held during my tenure. A truly great bunch of people to work with.

Cons

Constantly changing which isn't necessarily bad.

Needs some work

Former Employee - Collection Specialist I in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Collection Specialist I in Omaha, NE

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Mission
    Awesome to see different companies around the area
    Hear awesome donor stories
    Ok Benefits but going down hill
    Great PTO
    Union

Cons

Wage gap that creates tension
    No compassion from Management
    Very unorganized
    Long hours
    Promoting people that should not be in supervisor positions
    Motto is one team one purpose but that is not the case
    Undercover boss should step in and get a feel for how this company really is.

Listen to your employees. This company goes through changes all the time, but in order to keep staff and stop the turnover management needs to change how things are ran. Stop promoting people that should not be in that position. Stop blaming staff for things that are out of their control. Remember staff have lives outside of collecting blood.

Wanted to retire from American Red Cross

Former Employee - I Did Everything I Was Asked to Do and More in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - I Did Everything I Was Asked to Do and More in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

overall I understand the company and what is stands for

Cons

I got laid off... They bought in a staffing agency to pay less money

I was a hard worker. excellent attendance record. You gave up a very hard worker who loved her job, Just to bring in a staffing agency to take over jobs to save money.. From my understanding you have a large turn around from you new employees who can't do what I did.. sorry but you get what you get when you let go of the BEST workers.

Excited at first, but now I know how they actually are.

Current Employee - Mobile Unit Assistant
    Current Employee - Mobile Unit Assistant

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

They have a great mission and do a lot of good for many people. With that mission they attempt to foster in the employees a sense of pride in having that mission.
    My particular location is one of the better paid areas. I cannot complain about the wages. However, in a different location the wages are almost guaranteed to be substantially lower.
    When I came onboard, I was excited to work for such a noble company. However, once I learned the inside details, I was sad.

Cons

They nickel and dime the employees. The Red Cross would step over a dollar to take a dime from an employee. Every bit of extras we get, such as meal vouchers, travel pay, differential hourly pay, etc. they are trying to take away from us. The hours are bad. I work a variable schedule and am full time, but most weeks I never get over 33 hours. Somedays I work until 3 am and have to be back at 8 am. Sometimes I work 3 overnight shifts, then immediately switch back to early morning shifts. That can be very hard on the body and moral.
    Management is terrible. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Many people act as if they are supervisors even though they are not. The management will institute a policy that holds certain people responsible for other people's mistakes, even though the punished employee had absolutely nothing to do with the mistake. The managers lied in the interview to get me to accept the offer.
    No overtime pay on weekends. No available overtime to build up hours. No accountability. The benefits are very very expensive and are almost worthless. No promotions, you have to apply for the positions to move. They don't give the positions to the best candidate, rather the one they like personally and know outside of work.
    They are in the process of ending my position and blending it into another. During this phase, they are making it hard on us in the position. In addition, we will have no guarantee of transition into the new job. Constantly put on hiring freezes. Denied positions that you are overly qualified for while they say your not qualified.
    Vacation is denied constantly. You get crap over taking a sick day, even when you have never used one. Your lunch break is scheduled for the first 30 minutes of your day. Meaning, you get no lunch break. They will make your drive in a blizzard and/or ice storm and could care less if there are 100 crashes and multiple fatalities on the road.
    If you are delayed due to weather, they will argue that its not snowing at the center so it must not be snowing anywhere else in the state.
    There is so much bad to list about them its unreal.

Get rid of all your worthless managers. Hire the hard working and dedicated employees to lead, not your friends. Just because someone has been there 6 years doesn't mean they are better for the job than someone who has been there 2.
    Stop hurting your employees to fix your issues. 60% turnover is unacceptable. You'd think that management would wonder why no one stays for more than 6 months anymore. You treat employees very poorly. We have family's to feed and bills to pay. We work as much as we can, and try to struggle by while you mid to upper management people attend fancy dinners, drive a Lexus and live high on the hog.

8. Great place w/ a great mission happy I'm working there!

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

Great place w/ a great mission happy I'm working there!

Cons

salary is quite low, wish that could be higher but it is nonprofit

Keep it up!

Good mission, horrible work environment.

Current Employee - Disaster Program Specialist
    Current Employee - Disaster Program Specialist

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Helping people and the community. Working with people who still love the mission of the organization.

Cons

Understaffed. Always too much work and not enough time. LOW PAY. Paying someone 11.50 an hour with a college education is despicable and abuse. Management does not communicate with anyone. On call 24/7 with no compensation or assistance. No investment in training workers. Bad environment and majority of workforce is dissatisfied with their jobs.

Pay people for the work they do. Communicate better with your staff.

10. Overall good

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

you get work with other people help save lives

Cons

Travel sometimes far from home

travel part needs a little tunning

The lowest pay and the worst supervisors, but you're saving lives!

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Douglasville, GA

I worked at American Red Cross (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health insurance was the best and cheapest I ever had!
     I loved knowing what I was doing was really saving lives.
     I worked with some of the nicest kindest people.

Cons

The supervisors in the lab were horrible! You were not allowed to sit even though you were standing at a machine for hours at a time. They also didn't allow MP3 players, even though it wasn't a sterile environment or it would create an unsafe environment. Correction: unless you were the weekend day shift, then you could do whatever you wanted. I once saw a supervisor make a 7 month pregnant third shift worker stand up, who had been sitting since she had been standing for hours and walk past the weekend shift worker (who had been there a short time) who was sitting with her feet propped up on the counter listening to a MP3 player. If you did your job well and worked night shift, you could never be promoted or get another job in the company since you were too valuable to them and they couldn't staff 3rd shift. The pay was ridiculously low! No raises in 2.5 years! No wonder so many people left for Dendreon!

Have 10 or 12 hour shifts at least for 3rd shift.
    Allow personal MP3 players and chairs. Treat people with respect.
    Hire and promote better supervisors!

American Red Cross Photos