American Red Cross

Updated December 11, 2014
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 37 reviews)

• Helping People in disasters, having a company vehicle to take clients to the doctor (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Call Center Leaves Much to Be Desired

Former Employee - Telerecruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Telerecruiter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Commission
    Company Values
    Amount of PTO

Cons

Hours
    Upper Level Management
    Base Pay
    No Room for Advancement
    Management does not promote within despite the fact that you may be at the top of your division

Working for a worldwide known organization.

Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mission-driven individuals, working with staff from many different backgrounds.

Cons

Promotion is stagnant.

Train within and more staff appreciation.

dcss

Current Employee - Donor and Client Support Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Donor and Client Support Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The teams are great, leads, management and supervisors

Cons

pay no pay raise and if so its pennies, insurance to high, getting time off.

Low pay, highly political, lots of drama and backstabbing. Wouldn't recommend working here or even donating.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people are actually mission-driven. You get to brag that you work for a highly regarded organization. You get to work like 3 jobs in one lol.

Cons

Ridiculous expectations of long hours, workload and timelines. Terrible pay while execs get bonuses in the midst of budget cuts and huge layoffs of older staff members.

Stop being greedy. Remember your mission.

Great mission and overall successful, but always teetering on the edge of dysfunction.

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is an organization that really makes a difference. Provides real value to the community. A good place to advance if you take initiative.

Cons

Always cash poor. History of bad decisions during the last several decades. Reactionary rather than proactive.

Corrective actions during the last couple of decades are too much gimmick, and not enough deep, cultural change. Mandates come from Headquarters but lose their intended effect by the time they are applied to line staff. ARC needs to build an effective bridge between the vision of senior leadership and the multitude who actually perform the work. I recommend building a broad team of liaisons at the supervisor and department lead level (this is the point of cultural traction). Inspire them, provide them training/tools to influence their peers, and commission them to spread the vision(s). I realize this has been done before, but it has not been sustained, monitored and reinforced. It should be like waves on a beach- unceasing. Wave after wave of inspiration, hope, and group identity: Exceptional customer service, efficiency, employee excellence, quality. Deep in every person's heart is a desperate desire to be on a winning team. Make them believe they are the best, and they will be the best.

Happy with my position, but uncertainty about the future makes work life challenging.

Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The feeling that you are contributing an organization that makes a difference in people's lives.
    The importance of the goal of providing safe and available blood for patients.
    Reasonably good compensation.

Cons

There have been numerous Reductions in Force both inside my department and around the company. There is a looming budget deficit that will probably mean yet more layoffs. Morale is low and uncertainty high.

It is disheartening to see so many people laid off when upper management continues to be paid extremely well, especially in the upper levels of Biomedical Services.

American Red Cross Response

Oct 3, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are always pleased to hear praise for our mission, and could not fulfill it without our dedicated employees and volunteers. It is true that we are ... More

Grant from Federal Government to NJ Workforce and Development

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator II in Ocean, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator II in Ocean, NJ

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was unemployed and received a grant from the Federal Government to work 6 months at The American Red Cross, Jersey Coast Chapter, Ocean, NJ. Employed in the Development Office. Learned what is involved behind the scenes.
    How much work is accomplished by the many volunteers. This was a temporary position because of Sandy.

Cons

I was sad when my grant ended.

My Years With The American Red Cross

Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have loved working for the American Red Cross. My co-workers have become family to me, and I love the mission of the Red Cross

Cons

I am my own challenge. I expect the best from myself and when I slip I feel like I have let down my Supervisor and the Red Cross. There are no cons working at this wonderful non-profit.

Keep being who you are. You have trained me well, have been patient beyond compare and will always be a part of my heart.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many chances and choices for advancement.

Cons

Benefits and compensation continually under pressure

Great people- great work in the community

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people at the local level. Always willing to help anyone- fellow employees, volunteers, community members...

Cons

Management (national level who make the decisions) couldn't be more out of touch with the boots on the ground.

Spend a few weeks at chapters- where the real work goes on. You'll have a whole new respect for the Red Cross because you have no idea what goes on now. You'll be impressed!

American Red Cross Photos