American Red Cross Reviews

Fundraiser

Former Employee - Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ARC is a powerhouse fundraising machine in the time of a disaster and provides immediate support during a crisis.

Cons

After receiving tremendous amounts of money, ARC lacks a transparency and focus. It's hard to make a compelling case for support when not in crisis mode.

2. collection technician/ mobile unit assistant

Former Employee - Collection Tech/Mobile Unit Assistant in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Collection Tech/Mobile Unit Assistant in Durham, NC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working for the American Red Cross was collecting units of blood that is needed to help the public, who will need blood for survival.

Cons

work ife balance and salary

You will go brain dead

Pros

It's mission although it gets lost in the politics

Cons

Low pay and poor management

Advice to Management

Quit. The organization needs to restructure from the top

Great mission; back stabbing culture

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission and the people served; some great co-workers; legacy and the profile of the brand

Cons

Hostile environment; change and results are superficial; wasted resources; popularity contest in decision making; gets worse the closer one gets to the senior management team

Advice to Management

Set priorities; respect work/life balance; stop the passive-aggressive behavior; stop managing by fear and intimidation; stop listening to just your favorites.

Account Executive PHSS

Pros

NO PROS TO THE ORGANIZATION.

Cons

Hands down the worst place I've ever worked. Constantly taking away products from us to sell, completely unable to deliver on promises made to clients, inept management with absolutely NOTHING to add (I know everyone complains about management but my manager has not once been able to answer ANY of my questions, not even one), 5 out of 154 reps hit their quota last year; does anyone else see a problem? Compensation is laughable. Zero support from anywhere. Upper management is sabotaging the entire sales team but telling us everything is fine; we're being replaced by a call center. Consistently walk away from 6 figure deals because they just cannot get it together. Would never EVER refer a friend to any position at the RC and I can say that every single person on my team feels the same way. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ORGANIZATION!!! The only reason I'm still here is I haven't gotten an offer elsewhere yet.

Advice to Management

Get out. Completely useless layer of bureaucracy and cost. Have never added anything to the equation except apathy and pressure. No help, no direction, NO USE!!

7. Stem Cell Technologist

Current Employee - Stem Cell Technologist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Stem Cell Technologist in Portland, OR

Pros

Wonderful people. Don't let the casual clothing and atmosphere make you think people aren't serious about their jobs--they are. They are also serious about supporting each other. I have worked for them for almost two years, and have seen almost no back-stabbing. Diverse group that is accepting of individual differences.

Cons

Low pay and substandard benefits. Almost a volunteer mentality.

Advice to Management

My immediate manager is terrific. I think the organization as a whole needs to catch up with the times. Windows XP in 2015? Word 2003?

8. Human Resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Pros

Fun environment that provides autonomous projects

Cons

The internship was not paid.

Lab technologist

I worked at American Red Cross full-time

Pros

Comparable compensation, very easy and straight forward repetitive work Great if you need a starting place to get experience in the work place, but I would suggest not to stay for very long.

Cons

Repetitive work and strict on every form of written policy. Great if you need a starting place to get experience in the work place, but I would suggest not to stay for very long. Most of the employees that stay have no other options or have given up.

Advice to Management

Most of the employees that stay have no other options or have given up, which includes management. I would suggest that you foster professional opportunities for employees.

10. Carolina ARC

Current Employee - Supervisor in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Different working hours each day. Opportunity for advancement. Good benefits, vacation time, sick leave. Work with different people each day and in different places.

Cons

Communication often unclear. Need a new way of getting messages out to staff. Seems to be a lot of attention paid to budget, not to staff.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of the old programs. Pay for staff to engage in classes, assist with learning. Have clearer goals for staff and open communication.

11. Great for College Graduates

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A position at Red Cross is held in high esteem by other non-profit organizations, social service agencies, and advocate programs, resulting in making connections in other industries. Directly and indirectly, you are involved with disaster and crisis management. Great place for recent graduates or those looking for volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Low pay, even after years of service. Constant restructuring and reengineering makes it difficult for employees to have a sense of ownership within the company. Many positions will be staffed by volunteers, company seems more interested in retaining volunteers than paid staff.

Advice to Management

Allow employees more time for the on boarding with the constant changes in management, staff, and chapter policy.

Showing 1,054 of 1,132 reviews