American Red Cross

Updated January 10, 2015
2.8

American Red Cross President and CEO Gail McGovern
Gail McGovern

Pros
  • Making a difference in recipient lives and promotes diversity (in 37 reviews)

• Helping People in disasters, having a company vehicle to take clients to the doctor (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (it's required that you still check and respond to emails while on PTO) (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management almost constantly changes operations and organizational structure (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

93 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross

Pros

friendly atmosphere, reasonable hours, good benefits

Cons

constant change in senior management

N/A

Constant change

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross

Pros

The mission is great and fuels progress

Cons

constant change makes working here difficult

Disaster Services, The Real Disaster...

Former Employee - Disaster Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Disaster Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disaster volunteers are wonderful to work with. Great opportunities to assist disaster clients locally and work alongside others who believe in the mission.

Cons

Staff is under appreciated and constantly on edge due to organizational changes every 10-16 months. Decisions made at the national level do not take into account geopolitical issues at the local level and are therefore creating problems between regional staff and local partners. I heard too many complaints about Red Cross closing offices and eliminating local staff, creating an impression that Red Cross is no longer there for the COMMUNITY. Very poor work/life balance, and with the hours you are expected to put in during normal day to day operations, you would expect a reasonable salary. Yes, it's a non profit so you can't expect to make it big, but managing disaster operations in 8+ counties and making less than half what a single counties emergency manager makes is ridiculous.

Stop changing, focus on the mission and the clients, return to a local COMMUNITY DRIVEN organization, not a giant corporate structure. Gail McGovern does not have community interests in mind, and the community IS the Red Cross's main focus.

Great Cause, Challenging Workspace

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You feel great at the end of the day when you work for a global cause like the Red Cross. There is never a dull day (if you are doing your job right), and compared to many government or private sector institutions, you can make a difference quickly and get projects rolling without the usual red tape (don't get me wrong - there is still some).

Cons

The best and brightest employees tend to obtain high proft (i.e for profit / competitive jobs). My personal experience was that a lot of staff and big hearts, and even awesome ideas, but often lacked the skill, confidence and work ethic to get the job done. I was also slightly concerned about the overly social portion of the office - chatter doesn't always lead to results. You will be living on a smaller salary when working for a non-profit (which is understandable) - so make sure that you love your job and remind yourself of the great cause behind each project.

Have a backup plan. With recent budget cuts, there is a certain instability within the organization which leads to a "territorial" atmosphere with the inability to solve or settle on project solutions. Also - meetings - these were the most ineffective meetings I ever attended. If you are in a management or influential role, I suggest taking the opportunity to minimize meetings and promote productivity.

Happy with my position, but uncertainty about the future makes work life challenging.

Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The feeling that you are contributing an organization that makes a difference in people's lives.
    The importance of the goal of providing safe and available blood for patients.
    Reasonably good compensation.

Cons

There have been numerous Reductions in Force both inside my department and around the company. There is a looming budget deficit that will probably mean yet more layoffs. Morale is low and uncertainty high.

It is disheartening to see so many people laid off when upper management continues to be paid extremely well, especially in the upper levels of Biomedical Services.

American Red Cross Response

Oct 3, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are always pleased to hear praise for our mission, and could not fulfill it without our dedicated employees and volunteers. It is true that we are ... More

Excellent mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The mission is unbelievable, and he ability to have an immediate impact on those we serve is fantastic.

Cons

At times, it is a very large organization....that has benefits, but it also brings the financial complexities and bureaucracy with it.

Keep focusing on those we serve and the volunteers the organization supports. Tough times will give way to investment and growth soon enough.

Good Mission, Bad Organization

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working on truly helping people in need. Many employees are dedicated to mission. During non-disaster response times, work atmosphere is not very stressful.

Cons

Terrible management, no organization or direction. Everything is a reaction to a disaster, no planning. With management at the top changing directions every few months and no funding to get top-level talent the organization is made up of lifers dedicated to the cause or people who just stay for a year and move on to a better opportunity.

Great mission! Not so great execution!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyday your heart will sing about the incredible difference that you're making in the world. It's astounding, the level of impact and reach to communities and people in need. The work we do makes a difference.

Cons

Layered with red tape; stodgy, complicated and cumbersome systems; lots of silos; lots of starting and stopping; lots of plans are made only to abort them about 3 months; lots of nepotism and politics - must fit into the click; lots of rounds of layoffs; extreme lack of innovation and training

No need. Management has made it clear that they don't want to hear from lower level staff.

American Red Cross Response

Aug 14, 2014Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your high praise for our mission and the difference we make in the community.We also thank you for addressing your concerns about day-to-day difficulties in ... More

If you want to learn about the culture, just see how disingenuous the responses are to people's reviews.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission and the fact that all the worker bees really care about it.

Cons

Leadership and management are so disingenuous. We are facing huge challenges and they appear to have no idea what they are doing. Morale is awful but mad morale is improved by leadership setting the tone, and not just through words but with actions. You can clearly see that all the responses to the reviews on this site are written like talking points. They are not written like they actually care about what the reviewer said, they are not even directed at the reviewer but at the audience.

Stop being so fake. Admit you have no idea what you are doing with this latest reorg and seek input from the people actually doing the work. Stop showing us every day that we don't have value. Get out of your conference rooms and offices and take a walk around the buildings and say hello to your staff who are working their hearts out. And stop having HR write these responses unless they are actually going to be sincere.

Constant layoffs and change. Great mission, great people.

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mission, people, committed to helping people.

Cons

Donors give money for disasters but not for salaries and buildings. no job security or career development funds.

Turn your volunteers and staff into fund raisers for the fire house. Tell the story better to the American public that we need funds for salaries and presence.

American Red Cross Photos