American Rental Property Solutions

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Gerrity

Good intentions, but definite lack of direction and transparency.

Market Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsDecent compensation and bonus structure. Employees at corporate that I interact with were always super friendly. Create own hours/work habits. Learned a lot about home rehab/interacting with tenants

ConsWas not trained. Have to pay out of pocket to purchase tools/lock sets. Too many Chiefs at the office. Never received a straight answer. Lack of transparency which is difficult being the only employee in a market across the country. Most homes managed are in bad neighborhoods and under rehabbed. Company tends to over promise and under deliver with tenants. Company will spy on your movements using GPS.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a very specific training program for market managers. Be more transparent with your market managers. Too many people have hands in the pot when it comes to vendor payments. This slows down the process for jobs to start, which frustrates contractors, creates less quality and timely work and in turn creates a bad relationship with the tenants. The market manager will care less about his/her job and the company when he feels that the company doesn't have his back. Purchase homes in nicer communities that will 1) bring in better tenants and 2) create immediate profit off of a rehab. Most neighborhoods I managed in were in decline and they have been since the 50s with no change in sight. And lastly, do to others what you would like done to you. I understand that a business is supposed to create profit, but that does not mean do unethical things to save money.

Exciting New Vision Creating Tons of Opportunities

Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAwesome business model in mega-growth industry of rental homes
    Committed, Creative Leadership, driven to create a future for their people
    FREE Lunch
    Somewhat flexible schedule
    Room to expand responsibilities if you are interested in growth.
    Great place for people looking to take charge of their career.

ConsAs a relatively new company, there are still growing pains galore.
    They had a rough start from a personnel standpoint and some of the decisions made then have a hangover effect ( but quickly changing)
    Not great if you just want to punch a clock and stay the same

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep you foot on the gas pedal, we are really starting to rock and roll.

Loving Work

Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThis is my first job in California and I've never been happier to be part of a great team! ARPS is a fun place to work because it's always changing, and it is very exciting to help shape processes with new ideas which management is always eager to hear. Plus they provide breakfast and lunch everyday!

ConsARPS is a small company so everything is always changing which is very rarely a con with ARPS

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to new ideas from your employees and keep up the great work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company will kill your spirit

Property Manager (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsThe company offers real jobs, and can help grow your experience in the property management field. Some of the employees that work there are great.

ConsManagement lies about bonuses. The atmosphere of the company crushes your spirits. The owner has experience exploiting his work force. The expectation is to work 12 hour days. The company is anything but a meritocracy with friends of the owner or CEO getting paid well when everyone else gets terrible wages. There are issues with sexism.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to owners who will treat employees like assets instead of an expendable workforce.

As bad as it gets in Corporate America.

Management (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe people that work for the company. All hard working and friendly, shedding the only light in a very dark abyss. The general makeup of a typical employee is young, hardworking, enthusiastic (the enthusiasm diminishes quickly), and very impressionable. Others are hardworking with no other options. Creates a bearable working environment.

ConsWhere do I begin. The business model itself is inherently flawed. A well to do venture capitalist has used this company as a side project to manage a large bulk of distressed property that has been purchased to hold and rent out to families in lower income neighborhoods. We have a few other clients who give us business, but they are few and far between. To manage these markets of properties. (typically concentrated around a city ) We hire a young inexperienced "Market Manager" to handle all the facets of the real estate process. (purchasing, construction management, Leasing, ect.). Very often they burn out, which lead to a high turnover rate with market managers. If they don't burnout its because they are not doing there job, and there is no accountability in the field. This always leads to inefficiencies in every market.

From a corporate standpoint, the company has created a management team that lacks leadership and experience. Many departments (middle management) are ran by kids straight out of college with 0 real estate experience. Upper management treat their employees like worker mules, demanding unreasonable hours (60+), outrageous expectations, and very low pay. Days are filled with meetings that circle around to where they originally began. If you look up nepotism in the dictionary, a picture of ARP's logo should pop up. People move up in this company solely on who they know. ARPS also loves to "incentivize" their employees. The false promises of bonus structures and profit sharing add up like the tears you have driving home from work on the 5 freeway. I was promised a bonus structure that I received less than 25% of my time with the company. Make sure you get it in writing. My mistake.

They pretty much do everything the wrong way. I would definitely not recommend this company to anyone. Your better off taking a hourly gig until something better surfaces. If it is your absolute only option before standing in the street, asking for change, take it, but have an exit strategy in place before you get sucked in. I seem harsh and wish I could tell you something more positive but there really isn't any.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart. Take care of your employees like people, not like dispensable objects.

Management Promises one thing and delivers another

ProsIt is not a scam, it is a real job, just a terrible one

ConsConstantly changing bonus structure that almost no-one actually receives. Insane expectations. Horrible morale.

Only work here if it is your only option.

The employer tends to hire unmarried males and avoid those with families so that they can work them for extra long hours with less guilt.

Young Company with Growing Pains

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall everyone who works here is great and friendly. There are bonus plans associated with most positions on top of your base. Great place to learn and gain experience as the company is slowly growing and, or changing.

ConsExtreme lack of experience by many in the company including management. People are hired or promoted based on being family friends/etc. Bonus plans can change at any time and frequently. Lack of direct open communication regarding real goals, expectations, minimum hours (ideally they want closer to 60). Performance is based more so on hours worked than results since this is the service company that is at the mercy of its own holdings and various client's requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open and honest with employees. Discuss progress more frequently in regards to what is working or not working and listen to the ideas of the people directly handling those challenges on a daily basis.

American Rental Property Solutions Response

Aug 12, 2013Director of Human Resources

American Rental Property Solutions LLC is indeed a growing organization. The company has grown out of a family office on to a nationwide platform providing premier residential property services. ARPS ... More

Worked for American Rental Property Solutions? Contribute to the Community!