American Rental Property Solutions

Updated June 25, 2014
Updated June 25, 2014
2.7

Mike Gerrity

Good intentions, but definite lack of direction and transparency.

Former Employee - Market Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American Rental Property Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent compensation and bonus structure. Employees at corporate that I interact with were always super friendly. Create own hours/work habits. Learned a lot about home rehab/interacting with tenants

Cons

Was not trained. Have to pay out of pocket to purchase tools/lock sets. Too many Chiefs at the office. Never received a straight answer. Lack of transparency which is difficult being the only employee in a market across the country. Most homes managed are in bad neighborhoods and under rehabbed. Company tends to over promise and under deliver with tenants. Company will spy on your movements using GPS.

Have a very specific training program for market managers. Be more transparent with your market managers. Too many people have hands in the pot when it comes to vendor payments. This slows down the process for jobs to start, which frustrates contractors, creates less quality and timely work and in turn creates a bad relationship with the tenants. The market manager will care less about his/her job and the company when he feels that the company doesn't have his back. Purchase homes in nicer communities that will 1) bring in better tenants and 2) create immediate profit off of a rehab. Most neighborhoods I managed in were in decline and they have been since the 50s with no change in sight. And lastly, do to others what you would like done to you. I understand that a business is supposed to create profit, but that does not mean do unethical things to save money.

Loving Work

Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Rental Property Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is my first job in California and I've never been happier to be part of a great team! ARPS is a fun place to work because it's always changing, and it is very exciting to help shape processes with new ideas which management is always eager to hear. Plus they provide breakfast and lunch everyday!

Cons

ARPS is a small company so everything is always changing which is very rarely a con with ARPS

Keep listening to new ideas from your employees and keep up the great work!

Exciting New Vision Creating Tons of Opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Awesome business model in mega-growth industry of rental homes
    Committed, Creative Leadership, driven to create a future for their people
    FREE Lunch
    Somewhat flexible schedule
    Room to expand responsibilities if you are interested in growth.
    Great place for people looking to take charge of their career.

Cons

As a relatively new company, there are still growing pains galore.
    They had a rough start from a personnel standpoint and some of the decisions made then have a hangover effect ( but quickly changing)
    Not great if you just want to punch a clock and stay the same

Keep you foot on the gas pedal, we are really starting to rock and roll.

Company will kill your spirit

Former Employee - Property Manager in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in La Jolla, CA

I worked at American Rental Property Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers real jobs, and can help grow your experience in the property management field. Some of the employees that work there are great.

Cons

Management lies about bonuses. The atmosphere of the company crushes your spirits. The owner has experience exploiting his work force. The expectation is to work 12 hour days. The company is anything but a meritocracy with friends of the owner or CEO getting paid well when everyone else gets terrible wages. There are issues with sexism.

Sell the company to owners who will treat employees like assets instead of an expendable workforce.

As bad as it gets in Corporate America.

Former Employee - Management in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Rental Property Solutions full-time

Pros

The people that work for the company. All hard working and friendly, shedding the only light in a very dark abyss. The general makeup of a typical employee is young, hardworking, enthusiastic (the enthusiasm diminishes quickly), and very impressionable. Others are hardworking with no other options. Creates a bearable working environment.

Cons

Where do I begin. The business model itself is inherently flawed. A well to do venture capitalist has used this company as a side project to manage a large bulk of distressed property that has been purchased to hold and rent out to families in lower income neighborhoods. We have a few other clients who give us business, but they are few and far between. To manage these markets of properties. (typically concentrated around a city ) We hire a young inexperienced "Market Manager" to handle all the facets of the real estate process. (purchasing, construction management, Leasing, ect.). Very often they burn out, which lead to a high turnover rate with market managers. If they don't burnout its because they are not doing there job, and there is no accountability in the field. This always leads to inefficiencies in every market.

From a corporate standpoint, the company has created a management team that lacks leadership and experience. Many departments (middle management) are ran by kids straight out of college with 0 real estate experience. Upper management treat their employees like worker mules, demanding unreasonable hours (60+), outrageous expectations, and very low pay. Days are filled with meetings that circle around to where they originally began. If you look up nepotism in the dictionary, a picture of ARP's logo should pop up. People move up in this company solely on who they know. ARPS also loves to "incentivize" their employees. The false promises of bonus structures and profit sharing add up like the tears you have driving home from work on the 5 freeway. I was promised a bonus structure that I received less than 25% of my time with the company. Make sure you get it in writing. My mistake.

They pretty much do everything the wrong way. I would definitely not recommend this company to anyone. Your better off taking a hourly gig until something better surfaces. If it is your absolute only option before standing in the street, asking for change, take it, but have an exit strategy in place before you get sucked in. I seem harsh and wish I could tell you something more positive but there really isn't any.

Have a heart. Take care of your employees like people, not like dispensable objects.

Management Promises one thing and delivers another

I have been working at American Rental Property Solutions full-time

Pros

It is not a scam, it is a real job, just a terrible one

Cons

Constantly changing bonus structure that almost no-one actually receives. Insane expectations. Horrible morale.

Only work here if it is your only option.

The employer tends to hire unmarried males and avoid those with families so that they can work them for extra long hours with less guilt.

Young Company with Growing Pains

I worked at American Rental Property Solutions

Pros

Overall everyone who works here is great and friendly. There are bonus plans associated with most positions on top of your base. Great place to learn and gain experience as the company is slowly growing and, or changing.

Cons

Extreme lack of experience by many in the company including management. People are hired or promoted based on being family friends/etc. Bonus plans can change at any time and frequently. Lack of direct open communication regarding real goals, expectations, minimum hours (ideally they want closer to 60). Performance is based more so on hours worked than results since this is the service company that is at the mercy of its own holdings and various client's requirements.

Be more open and honest with employees. Discuss progress more frequently in regards to what is working or not working and listen to the ideas of the people directly handling those challenges on a daily basis.

American Rental Property Solutions Response

Aug 12, 2013Director of Human Resources

American Rental Property Solutions LLC is indeed a growing organization. The company has grown out of a family office on to a nationwide platform providing premier residential property services. ARPS ... More