American River College

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.6

CEO

Campus jobs add to the student experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at American River College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Classes and employment in one location is super convenient. During downtime, studying is expected.

Cons

The college's budget effects all aspects of this environment.

Really Depends on the Department

I have been working at American River College (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most colleges have a wonderful atmosphere of hopes and dreams--they are a great place to work. ARC is the largest community college in the Sacramento area and offers many opportunities. The pay at a Los Rios college (most community colleges in the area are in the Los Rios District) is better than other nearby districts.

Cons

The practices and environment really depend on the Department for which you work. The Department where I work has a spirit of bullying and conflict. A lot of smart people work at colleges, and some like to make sure everyone around them knows it. Also, many processes are old-fashioned and slow. So many forms and processes could be put online to save time and money. The Department where I work is also very formal--not sure anyone there laughs during work hours.

For the most part, staff is very tightknit and collegial.

Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at American River College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers (with the exception of a few bad apples) are the best part. Also, for Sacramento area, ARC is fairly forward thinking. Benefits, particularly medical, are much better than at my current employer.

Cons

Being unable to fire anyone due to tight unions.

Continue being cutting edge with technology and ideas while being fiscally cautious.

Teaching is a joy, management is uncaring

I have been working at American River College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with students, developing curriculum, bringing new teaching innovations into the classroom on-campus and online. The actual job is great, but when management has no appreciation whatsoever for the hard work we do, rather it is never enough. If you teach online prepare to be insulted and denegrated everytime you go into your division office.

Cons

I did not become a teacher to receive appreciation. But I expected that when I am working days, nights and weekends, developing new courses, being available 7 days a week to students and developing new innovative curriculum for the campus, there would be something other than bullying and dismissive remarks in return. For over 10 years I have worked my tail off, students love me, I smile and am helpful and polite to office staff and to other professors. I figured if I worked hard and was polite to everyone eventually they would see that and be friendly in return. What a stupid fool I was to continue to be positive and friendly in the face of continual backstabbing, undermining, and bullying. How ridiculous to treat those who work so hard so badly. I have tried to explain what I do and how much work it is working online with students. Of course no one would ever listen they just scoff and go on their arrogant, clueless way. What a fool I was to give so much heart and soul to this institution in such a dismissive, abusive atmosphere. I could have done the minimum to get by like so many, played social games, been out for status instead of giving service. That is not me though, but it is what the management wants. Management is 50s style, authoritarian, abusive, cares nothing for employees, we are just a bothersome piece of crap on the bottom of their shoes. If someone is a seriously abusive bully, management reveres them and promotes them quickly through the ranks giving them more power over more people.

It really does not make people work harder when you insult and bully them and dismiss the hard work they are already doing. Get a clue. Those of us working 65-90 hours a week could work the minimum contractual hours, again, get a clue.

One of the best experiences I have every been through.

Current Employee - Financial Aid Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Clerk in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at American River College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people are great and caring. It is so diverse

Cons

budget cuts, harrassment that student have to go through. not enough parking

keep up the good work and thank you for everything

Good for education

I have been working at American River College

Pros

Teachers that care and are enthusiastic about their job

Cons

administration has no clue what they are doing

compensate teachers more, administration needs to be better trained

Very boring, yet competitive work

Current Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Temporary Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at American River College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pays above minimum wage, low but steady hours, reliable managers, organized, very simple tasks, easy to get into, takes your class schedule into account when scheduling your hours

Cons

you have to be a student at the college, seasonal jobs only, very hard to be kept permanently into a job, management is always very busy

It was a great place to work

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at American River College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly staff
    You can learn a lot about the school system

Cons

Very boring work
    Sometimes the students are rude but that's what the job is for

Fix the system

Postive environment

Current Employee - Chemistry Lab Tech in West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Chemistry Lab Tech in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at American River College

Pros

Good benefits and a good place to work.

Cons

Not much room for advancement

N/A