American Senior Communities

Dan Benson

1. cna

Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Beech Grove, IN
    Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Beech Grove, IN

I worked at American Senior Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

enjoy residents and helping others

Cons

not enough time to do everything for residents

Management :/

Current Employee - CNA in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - CNA in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at American Senior Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The nursing staff are great :)
    Opportunities to transfer
    Overtime availability is no issue

Cons

We are constantly understaffed and its so bad that management denies vacation even if we give them MONTHS notice. We are still expected to do the work of 4 CNAs when only 2 are there. Most of the management staff are SO RUDE and so condesending that its making people run away. This company needs to stop buying buildings when they dont even have proper management in the ones they already have.

Advice to Management

Rethink who you hire for management...just because they have a nice resumé doesnt mean they're a nice person.

3. CNA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at American Senior Communities (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers are cool, younger management, could get more pay. Nice residents and family, smallest of the buildings.

Cons

Not enough workers, orientation is to fast, not giving people enought time to learn about the job

5. Certified Dietary Manager

Current Employee - Certified Dietary Manager, CFPP in Clinton, IN
    Current Employee - Certified Dietary Manager, CFPP in Clinton, IN

I have been working at American Senior Communities

Pros

Excellent communication among the Clinical Care team, no drama, open and honest. I was impressed by the amount of Corporate required training that was required. Although I have 25+ years experience in my field, they took the time to make sure that I was aware of all the policies and procedures. Very nice place to work! Excellent benefit package!

Cons

No cons to be noted

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work to be able to recruit and retain employees, word of mouth from current employees is your greatest asset.

6. Awful

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Noblesville, IN
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Noblesville, IN

I worked at American Senior Communities

Pros

Starting pay was decent and fair

Cons

Awful management, awful ratio, awful nurses, awful CNAs.... Just a horrible experience

7. Training was terrifying

Former Employee - CNA in Kokomo, IN
    Former Employee - CNA in Kokomo, IN

I worked at American Senior Communities part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They had friendly residents and nurses. The pay was great and it was close to home.

Cons

I was a C.N.A. and they basically just told me to start working, not knowing any routines. I was fresh out of CNA classes and needed a little help. The girls that worked there wanted me to fail.

8. Great company

Current Employee - MDS in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - MDS in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at American Senior Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cares about residents and staff, very knowledge on state and federal regulations

Cons

I can not find any

Advice to Management

n/s

9. CNA

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

Pros

Company offers great benefits and a preceptor program. Plenty of opportunity to transfer within the company.

Cons

Over worked, under paid. Will hire anyone with a CNA license and throw you to the wolves in a matter of 3 short days. High turn over, constantly working short staffed.

Advice to Management

Take your time to screen your potential employees. Have management on the floor visually seeing what is going on. Don't wait for something to go haywire to then make it out to the floor to see that your staff is exhausted mentally and physically. Listen to your employees opinions and don't brush them off.

10. It pays the bills, expands networking...

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Avon, IN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Avon, IN

I have been working at American Senior Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay for new nurses vs local hospitals

Cons

management plays favorites, not a lot of variety, too high patient load

Do not be fooled.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Senior Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Taking care of the residents.

Cons

Corporate Consultants are extremely rude, use a "divide and conquor" approach to pit floor staff and managers against each other. There is no help offered with staffing challenges, no matter how short staffed buildings are, all paperwork is expected to be completed first, caring for residents is second. Turnover is huge due to the workload, stress, and no appreciation of employees, with exception of top positions, which receive frequent bonuses for cutting staff to bare minimum. In no way a positive environment! Voicing concern about work conditions makes you a marked employee. Much favoritism, staff promotions based on whether employee is a "yes" person, not at all based on experience, meaning working hard will get you nowhere in this company. New ideas are not encouraged.

Advice to Management

Bonuses to ED's and DNS's for cutting staff to bare minimum should stop. Why would you reward fostering an unsafe work environment? The Consultants should be required to take a class from Miss Manners- everyone understands they have a job to do, but being rude, belittling staff to the point of tears, pitting staff against each other obviously does not promote teamwork. Neither does favoritism, which is rampant and causing a great deal of friction amongst the staff. Perhaps you should take your annual staff surveys more seriously, sharing the results openly, instead of them being a secret. Do exit interviews with staff who leave. It would be quite an eye opener to hear what your buildings with the most turnover have to say.

RSS Feed </> Embed