American Society for Clinical Pathology

Joel M. Shilling, MD, FASCP

1. Work hard and you'll succeed

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working here because my immediate supervisor sets reasonable goals that are a (good, healthy yoga) stretch for me. In addition, my supervisor is supportive and willing to go to bat for me and my colleagues.

My colleagues in other departments are very smart- after all, ASCP serves scientists, so we employ many scientists and science-writers.

The benefits are good (like flex time, healthcare, wellness programs and incentives), and we have a Morale Committee that takes care of monthly treats for the entire office.

Cons

While I respect the executive leadership, I think they can be... intense. This doesn't necessarily hinder my professional progress or projects.

Advice to Management

I do not have advice at this time.

Don't even bother to apply. You'll regret it!

Former Employee - Membership in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Membership in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were no pros. The cons so outweighed the pros that it canceled out the pros and it wasn't worth working for ASCP.

Cons

Most people quit. The place was a total revolving door. Those that were fired, were fired unfairly, unjustly, and viciously, which is exactly what happened to me. Every time a negative post appeared on this site, instead of learning from it, management would conduct a malicious witch hunt that made the staff miserable. There was very little talent and accountability at the upper levels, mostly a group of egotistical, grandiose people that used their position for their own advantage.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because it would make no difference to management. Management didn't care about the staffs opinions or feelings. The place operated on a gang mentality that caused a very toxic office environment. Management had their own agenda that was not in the best interest of the organization, its employees, or its members.

3. Competitive salaries for a NFP organization w/ some good, talented folks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is excellent. It's close to everything. Salaries are very competitive, and management is not opposed to bonuses for those that perform....and performance IS rewarded. I've found that once I proved that I was a dedicated and competent worker, it was easy to collaborate with all of the other disciplines here. They are very supportive, as long as you're willing to work as hard as they do.

Secondly, the company allows for flex time, which is absolutely awesome!

Lastly, most of the staff seem to be very happy, and the work environment is, for the most part, quite positive.

Cons

There seems to be some employees who, despite their incompetency, have managed to linger around the organization for awhile. These people are impediments to doing a good job, and may make your job tougher if you are relying on them. They also seem to be the most vocal about anything they perceive as negative, and like to spread their negativity. Luckily, there seems to be only a handful of these types of people.

Advice to Management

Cut out the dead weight in the organization...true, there's very little of it, but one rotten apple can spoil the whole basket, right?

5. This company

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

Great Morale committee. they tried to brighten the days for the staff monthly.

Cons

Managers are not managerial material. Managers wait until the end of the year to inform employees of their of their weakness instead of giving feedback during weekly meetings. If you're not in the click then management doesn't care for you.

Managers often arrives late or leaves early and makes the staff stay late to get their work done.

Managers are often gone out for drinks on company time and funds. Employees are rewarded with 1% raises and Jewel gift cards at Thanksgiving.

6. Good Place To Work

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

Good benefits, Great location, Free coffee/tea, Good parties, Plenty of food. Diverse staff and worthwhile mission.

Cons

If you can multitask, then there are very little cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within.

"Madman" office culture at its best

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office location near next to blue and 1/2 block form red line, free coffee and assorted teas

Cons

Toxic environment. Work life balance is nonexistent. VPs and directors expect you to check your e-mail on your days off and weekends. They very often take no responsibility for their bad decisions and are always looking to blame their staff. If you decide to work here, always save your e-mails you will need them to defend yourself, often!

Advice to Management

Learn to act/be professional. HR don't ignore reports of inappropriate behavior. Respect your hard working staff. Treat everyone with dignity.

8. Good place to gain experience...but at a price

Pros

1.) Experience- You will be worked hard here, but you will gain experience and exposure to great projects that will boost your resume
    2.) Awesome People- There are a lot of friendly, intelligent, bright, fun people at ASCP
    3.) Location- Center of the loop, easy commute for just about anyone
    4.) Benefits- Inexpensive but thorough portfolio of benefits
    5.) Work/Life Balance- With the exception of a few, the office clears out by 5pm, and if you have a good boss you have the flexibility to adjust your hours /work from home

Cons

1.) Lack of Direction- There isn't buy-in from employees on leadership's long and short-term plans, which causes a lot of confusion and creates apathetic employees
    2.) Workload Imbalance- The best and brightest tend to be depended on for 90% of the work, and the delegators/dead weight are left alone (the people that tend to stay at ASCP the longest).
    3.) Office Morale- There is a good amount of skeptic and negative employees (including senior staff and leadership).....being surrounded and directed by that day-in and day-out can bring even the most optimistic people down and affect workplace satisfaction

Advice to Management

There are a lot of talented employees under ASCP's roof-- nurture them, give them exposure to new things, listen to their opinions, and mentor them to be the next crop of ASCP leaders (instead of just great candidates for other companies to scoop up). Uphold your values: Reward those who work hard and honorably, and punish those who do not.

9. Think Twice

Pros

Company benefits, multiple choice coffee, sometimes free food.

Cons

Management supervisory style, company morale

Advice to Management

Salaries are not the best as for a company located downtown. Projects requires to work late hours or work at a home.
    Lower management and supervisory does not have a clue how to manage their employees. ASCP supposed to invents some money in training at least supervisor how to manage and treat their employees. There are some exception however ..... Supervision style is more than worst. Like for an educated people they supposed to have some level of knowledge how to manage other. Maybe this is connected with respect to the others, if you don't respect your employees no matter how you are educated - supervisory / management style is poor. Another is gossiping, this is wide for all departments to gossip and happens even to the management people. This lowers morale of the company. Also judging others, since you are not perfect on 100% perfect and a way away from perfectness stop judging the others. But I believe judging and gossips is in pair and this is a cancer of this company. But still a lot of great people working there, hard working sometimes sacrificing their families, the only question is what they have or will get because of that? even sometimes no "thank you from a supervisor or a manager" The company by itself is great company but remember - the people represents the company so ..... As of almost 8 years of employment I am thinking about a step forward and change employee since this is a stagnation , nothing else.

It's not the worst company I've worked for, but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

It's difficult to put together a genuine list of pros. Here is my attempt:
    1) Location - The office has a convenient location in the Loop.
    2) Parties - They know how to throw down during company functions.
    3) Benefits - I probably won't come across a benefits package like theirs again.

Cons

1) Upper Management - They often ignore legitimate criticisms and don't see the potential in their own staff.
    2) Long Hours - This doesn't apply to everyone, but those who really care about the projects they're involved in seem to work 300% harder than their complacent counterparts (who outnumber them 10-to-1).
    3) No Room for Growth - There is no ladder to climb and there are hardly any opportunities to gain new skills. If professional development is important to you, I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.
    4) Compensation - This isn't really much of a con. It's a not-for-profit company, so low pay is almost an implication.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the issues outlined in these reviews (and no, not the fake ones you've planted).

Toxic Culture/Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Education in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Education in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location downtown. Easy commute

Cons

Leadership actually used a Townhall once to call all of employees sycophants and losers because we gossip! Leadership was out of touch, very clicky environment. Good people left constantly.

Advice to Management

Seriously, heed your own corporate jingos and start behaving like decent people.