American Society for Clinical Pathology

Joel M. Shilling, MD, FASCP

excellence in training

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

current, supportive, easy updates, cme accredited, leaders

Cons

not known by all practices,

na

"If you want to be challenged to grow, ASCP is the place for you"

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

I have worked with ASCP for approximately 8 years and have been challenged to grow professionally and personally every step of the way. Has it all be perfect - heck no! What company is perfect? There have been times when I shock my head and asked why I stay but, at the end of the day, am VERY glad I stayed around. My superiors are not perfect but they really believe in the mission and their staff. Their intentions are well founded.

If you want to be challenged to improve your knowledge, work ethic, and leadership qualities - this is the job for you. If you want to just come in, do your basic job, stay "comfortable", and just go home at the end of the day - you may want to look elsewhere.

Cons

Even though they stress balance with life and work, because of the rapid movement of the company and the push to improve patient care and outreach, the balance does tend to get lost at times.

Continue to push balance between life and work - even the most dedicated staff get tired and begin to resent those "missed opportunities" with their kids/family/personal life.

Ensure that ALL Managers enforce "flex hours" fairly. If an employee can truly do their work at home and their are situations making it difficult for them to be in the office 5 days a week - left them work from home.

Keep up the great job!!!

Honestly, ASCP is a great place to work. Great benefits, great location, and fun co-workers

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

I was promoted after being here for one year. I'm an honest and hardworking person, if you are too, this is the organization for you. Hard work and dedication is recognized and you will definitely get what you give to ASCP - no question about that. Flex time all year is great for work/life balance and upper management cares about my career and helping me succeed.

Cons

Sometimes it takes almost 10 minutes to get up the two different elevators needed to take to our floor. Yea, that would be my biggest complaint...so, again, a great place to work!

Continue to set your employees up for success and promote from within when possible.

ASCP provides a strong spirit of "Social Responsibility" to it's members & "Work-Life Balance" to it's employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for ASCP as an outside consultant for over 8 years, and honored to be offered a full-time position this past July. There has always been a strong sense of respect for each other, creating a culture that promotes work-life balance.

Cons

As a not-for-profit, it is sometimes challenging to compete with corporations and salary expectations, however, ASCP provides a great benefit package and healthy culture.

Continue to focus on work-life balance for your employees and support of their professional growth, because when people know you care, they give you their all. This is why people leave ASCP and want to come back!

Great place for those not focused on ego, their helicopter parents, or instant promotions to CEO.

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

Innovative, great staff development training, competitive benefits, awesome parties, mini celebrations, exciting/tough international work. This is a growing global company that doesn't tolerate bad attitude.

Cons

Some mid-level managers have something to prove and are a little ego-centric.

Sounds like many of the negative reviewers didn't last long. There's a reason for that fact. They got a reality check here and then they get another reality check somewhere else. I've heard story after story of former employees wanting to come back, and some do get hired back. Most of the negatives are from "coordinators" i.e. younger employees that miss their mommies and daddies and don't like to have their hands slapped. Work hard, try hard, fail hard and you will be respected and rewarded.

Work hard and you'll succeed

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like working here because my immediate supervisor sets reasonable goals that are a (good, healthy yoga) stretch for me. In addition, my supervisor is supportive and willing to go to bat for me and my colleagues.

My colleagues in other departments are very smart- after all, ASCP serves scientists, so we employ many scientists and science-writers.

The benefits are good (like flex time, healthcare, wellness programs and incentives), and we have a Morale Committee that takes care of monthly treats for the entire office.

Cons

While I respect the executive leadership, I think they can be... intense. This doesn't necessarily hinder my professional progress or projects.

I do not have advice at this time.

Competitive salaries for a NFP organization w/ some good, talented folks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The location is excellent. It's close to everything. Salaries are very competitive, and management is not opposed to bonuses for those that perform....and performance IS rewarded. I've found that once I proved that I was a dedicated and competent worker, it was easy to collaborate with all of the other disciplines here. They are very supportive, as long as you're willing to work as hard as they do.

Secondly, the company allows for flex time, which is absolutely awesome!

Lastly, most of the staff seem to be very happy, and the work environment is, for the most part, quite positive.

Cons

There seems to be some employees who, despite their incompetency, have managed to linger around the organization for awhile. These people are impediments to doing a good job, and may make your job tougher if you are relying on them. They also seem to be the most vocal about anything they perceive as negative, and like to spread their negativity. Luckily, there seems to be only a handful of these types of people.

Cut out the dead weight in the organization...true, there's very little of it, but one rotten apple can spoil the whole basket, right?

Good Place To Work

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

Good benefits, Great location, Free coffee/tea, Good parties, Plenty of food. Diverse staff and worthwhile mission.

Cons

If you can multitask, then there are very little cons.

Continue to promote from within.

Interesting work, intelligent co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology (less than an year)

Pros

Our department/unit is highly collaborative and our director is open and responsive to input. Work/life balance stronger than most organizations; co-workers are generally very supportive of each other... I think the work is interesting and I buy in to the organization's overall mission.

Cons

Under-developed central structure; feel that there aren't enough company-wide processes and there is a bit of a 'silo' effect. Morale seems uneven/ middling, but not sure why as I've been here less than a year.

Work flow processes need to be updated for greater efficiency; greater investment in hardware, IT personnel

ASCP is great place for people who have intelligence, initative and work well with others

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

ASCP has great leadership, is taking on new initiatives and growing in a difficult economic environment. Great potential to get involved with interesting projects, have the opportunity to be involved and and is an open culture.

Cons

you need to have a personality that can thrive in this environment. staff that don't make it at ascp are complacent, not actively engaged and wait around for things to happen. This isn't a place that tolerates whining very well.

Keep up the innovative thinking, and keep looking for employees who can thrive in the environment