American Society for Clinical Pathology

Add Photos

Joel M. Shilling, MD, FASCP

excellence in training

Phlebotomist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Proscurrent, supportive, easy updates, cme accredited, leaders

Consnot known by all practices,

Advice to Senior Managementna

"If you want to be challenged to grow, ASCP is the place for you"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have worked with ASCP for approximately 8 years and have been challenged to grow professionally and personally every step of the way. Has it all be perfect - heck no! What company is perfect? There have been times when I shock my head and asked why I stay but, at the end of the day, am VERY glad I stayed around. My superiors are not perfect but they really believe in the mission and their staff. Their intentions are well founded.

If you want to be challenged to improve your knowledge, work ethic, and leadership qualities - this is the job for you. If you want to just come in, do your basic job, stay "comfortable", and just go home at the end of the day - you may want to look elsewhere.

ConsEven though they stress balance with life and work, because of the rapid movement of the company and the push to improve patient care and outreach, the balance does tend to get lost at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to push balance between life and work - even the most dedicated staff get tired and begin to resent those "missed opportunities" with their kids/family/personal life.

Ensure that ALL Managers enforce "flex hours" fairly. If an employee can truly do their work at home and their are situations making it difficult for them to be in the office 5 days a week - left them work from home.

Keep up the great job!!!

Honestly, ASCP is a great place to work. Great benefits, great location, and fun co-workers

ProsI was promoted after being here for one year. I'm an honest and hardworking person, if you are too, this is the organization for you. Hard work and dedication is recognized and you will definitely get what you give to ASCP - no question about that. Flex time all year is great for work/life balance and upper management cares about my career and helping me succeed.

ConsSometimes it takes almost 10 minutes to get up the two different elevators needed to take to our floor. Yea, that would be my biggest complaint...so, again, a great place to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to set your employees up for success and promote from within when possible.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ASCP provides a strong spirit of "Social Responsibility" to it's members & "Work-Life Balance" to it's employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI have worked for ASCP as an outside consultant for over 8 years, and honored to be offered a full-time position this past July. There has always been a strong sense of respect for each other, creating a culture that promotes work-life balance.

ConsAs a not-for-profit, it is sometimes challenging to compete with corporations and salary expectations, however, ASCP provides a great benefit package and healthy culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on work-life balance for your employees and support of their professional growth, because when people know you care, they give you their all. This is why people leave ASCP and want to come back!

Great place for those not focused on ego, their helicopter parents, or instant promotions to CEO.

ProsInnovative, great staff development training, competitive benefits, awesome parties, mini celebrations, exciting/tough international work. This is a growing global company that doesn't tolerate bad attitude.

ConsSome mid-level managers have something to prove and are a little ego-centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementSounds like many of the negative reviewers didn't last long. There's a reason for that fact. They got a reality check here and then they get another reality check somewhere else. I've heard story after story of former employees wanting to come back, and some do get hired back. Most of the negatives are from "coordinators" i.e. younger employees that miss their mommies and daddies and don't like to have their hands slapped. Work hard, try hard, fail hard and you will be respected and rewarded.

Interesting work, intelligent co-workers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOur department/unit is highly collaborative and our director is open and responsive to input. Work/life balance stronger than most organizations; co-workers are generally very supportive of each other... I think the work is interesting and I buy in to the organization's overall mission.

ConsUnder-developed central structure; feel that there aren't enough company-wide processes and there is a bit of a 'silo' effect. Morale seems uneven/ middling, but not sure why as I've been here less than a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork flow processes need to be updated for greater efficiency; greater investment in hardware, IT personnel

ASCP is great place for people who have intelligence, initative and work well with others

ProsASCP has great leadership, is taking on new initiatives and growing in a difficult economic environment. Great potential to get involved with interesting projects, have the opportunity to be involved and and is an open culture.

Consyou need to have a personality that can thrive in this environment. staff that don't make it at ascp are complacent, not actively engaged and wait around for things to happen. This isn't a place that tolerates whining very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the innovative thinking, and keep looking for employees who can thrive in the environment

Good place to gain experience...but at a price

Pros1.) Experience- You will be worked hard here, but you will gain experience and exposure to great projects that will boost your resume
    2.) Awesome People- There are a lot of friendly, intelligent, bright, fun people at ASCP
    3.) Location- Center of the loop, easy commute for just about anyone
    4.) Benefits- Inexpensive but thorough portfolio of benefits
    5.) Work/Life Balance- With the exception of a few, the office clears out by 5pm, and if you have a good boss you have the flexibility to adjust your hours /work from home

Cons1.) Lack of Direction- There isn't buy-in from employees on leadership's long and short-term plans, which causes a lot of confusion and creates apathetic employees
    2.) Workload Imbalance- The best and brightest tend to be depended on for 90% of the work, and the delegators/dead weight are left alone (the people that tend to stay at ASCP the longest).
    3.) Office Morale- There is a good amount of skeptic and negative employees (including senior staff and leadership).....being surrounded and directed by that day-in and day-out can bring even the most optimistic people down and affect workplace satisfaction

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of talented employees under ASCP's roof-- nurture them, give them exposure to new things, listen to their opinions, and mentor them to be the next crop of ASCP leaders (instead of just great candidates for other companies to scoop up). Uphold your values: Reward those who work hard and honorably, and punish those who do not.

It's not the worst company I've worked for, but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt's difficult to put together a genuine list of pros. Here is my attempt:
    1) Location - The office has a convenient location in the Loop.
    2) Parties - They know how to throw down during company functions.
    3) Benefits - I probably won't come across a benefits package like theirs again.

Cons1) Upper Management - They often ignore legitimate criticisms and don't see the potential in their own staff.
    2) Long Hours - This doesn't apply to everyone, but those who really care about the projects they're involved in seem to work 300% harder than their complacent counterparts (who outnumber them 10-to-1).
    3) No Room for Growth - There is no ladder to climb and there are hardly any opportunities to gain new skills. If professional development is important to you, I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.
    4) Compensation - This isn't really much of a con. It's a not-for-profit company, so low pay is almost an implication.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge the issues outlined in these reviews (and no, not the fake ones you've planted).

Think Twice Before Working Here

ProsVery good benefits-health, dental, retirement, tuition reimbursement and continuing education. Location is great-close to everything. The employees here are very nice, although there are several very strong cliques. The company does a lot of great work. If you are one of those people who is a yes-man, a person who just cares about taking a paycheck home, or a new graduate who needs work experience, then this is the place for you. If not, see Cons.

ConsEverything is done at the whim of one or two individuals, who are just making decisions based on their opinion. It's almost impossible to get a promotion, unless you are a friend of senior management or have been there so long and are actually one of the people that do work (and there aren't many there that do much of anything) and they promote you based on your longevity. The raise you will get with your promotion will be a disappointment. It's probably less than your yearly cost of living adjustment, (if you get it), which is 1-3%. You will also be told when they hire you about all the great projects you will be a part of. Probably not. Most likely you will be doing a lot of administrative work, with last minute changes/edits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of what's not working-Annual Meeting, particular employees, programs, etc. Reward everyone fairly. Don't give out bonuses to the Annual Meeting core team only. A lot of people put in a lot of grueling hours who are never recognized for it. Let employees do their jobs, instead of constant last minute changes and second-guessing. Get serious about compensation. Reward those that do a good job, not just those that kiss up. Hold employees accountable for their projects. Stop hiring consultants to "save the company"-just trust your employees more, listen to them, and let them do what needs to be done. It's time to get serious about what is really happening here, before it's too late and the business can't be saved.

Worked for American Society for Clinical Pathology? Contribute to the Community!