American Society for Clinical Pathology

Joel M. Shilling, MD, FASCP

excellence in training

Current Employee - Phlebotomist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

current, supportive, easy updates, cme accredited, leaders

Cons

not known by all practices,

na

"If you want to be challenged to grow, ASCP is the place for you"

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

I have worked with ASCP for approximately 8 years and have been challenged to grow professionally and personally every step of the way. Has it all be perfect - heck no! What company is perfect? There have been times when I shock my head and asked why I stay but, at the end of the day, am VERY glad I stayed around. My superiors are not perfect but they really believe in the mission and their staff. Their intentions are well founded.

If you want to be challenged to improve your knowledge, work ethic, and leadership qualities - this is the job for you. If you want to just come in, do your basic job, stay "comfortable", and just go home at the end of the day - you may want to look elsewhere.

Cons

Even though they stress balance with life and work, because of the rapid movement of the company and the push to improve patient care and outreach, the balance does tend to get lost at times.

Continue to push balance between life and work - even the most dedicated staff get tired and begin to resent those "missed opportunities" with their kids/family/personal life.

Ensure that ALL Managers enforce "flex hours" fairly. If an employee can truly do their work at home and their are situations making it difficult for them to be in the office 5 days a week - left them work from home.

Keep up the great job!!!

Honestly, ASCP is a great place to work. Great benefits, great location, and fun co-workers

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

I was promoted after being here for one year. I'm an honest and hardworking person, if you are too, this is the organization for you. Hard work and dedication is recognized and you will definitely get what you give to ASCP - no question about that. Flex time all year is great for work/life balance and upper management cares about my career and helping me succeed.

Cons

Sometimes it takes almost 10 minutes to get up the two different elevators needed to take to our floor. Yea, that would be my biggest complaint...so, again, a great place to work!

Continue to set your employees up for success and promote from within when possible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ASCP provides a strong spirit of "Social Responsibility" to it's members & "Work-Life Balance" to it's employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have worked for ASCP as an outside consultant for over 8 years, and honored to be offered a full-time position this past July. There has always been a strong sense of respect for each other, creating a culture that promotes work-life balance.

Cons

As a not-for-profit, it is sometimes challenging to compete with corporations and salary expectations, however, ASCP provides a great benefit package and healthy culture.

Continue to focus on work-life balance for your employees and support of their professional growth, because when people know you care, they give you their all. This is why people leave ASCP and want to come back!

Great place for those not focused on ego, their helicopter parents, or instant promotions to CEO.

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

Innovative, great staff development training, competitive benefits, awesome parties, mini celebrations, exciting/tough international work. This is a growing global company that doesn't tolerate bad attitude.

Cons

Some mid-level managers have something to prove and are a little ego-centric.

Sounds like many of the negative reviewers didn't last long. There's a reason for that fact. They got a reality check here and then they get another reality check somewhere else. I've heard story after story of former employees wanting to come back, and some do get hired back. Most of the negatives are from "coordinators" i.e. younger employees that miss their mommies and daddies and don't like to have their hands slapped. Work hard, try hard, fail hard and you will be respected and rewarded.

Good Place To Work

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology

Pros

Good benefits, Great location, Free coffee/tea, Good parties, Plenty of food. Diverse staff and worthwhile mission.

Cons

If you can multitask, then there are very little cons.

Continue to promote from within.

Interesting work, intelligent co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology for less than a year

Pros

Our department/unit is highly collaborative and our director is open and responsive to input. Work/life balance stronger than most organizations; co-workers are generally very supportive of each other... I think the work is interesting and I buy in to the organization's overall mission.

Cons

Under-developed central structure; feel that there aren't enough company-wide processes and there is a bit of a 'silo' effect. Morale seems uneven/ middling, but not sure why as I've been here less than a year.

Work flow processes need to be updated for greater efficiency; greater investment in hardware, IT personnel

ASCP is great place for people who have intelligence, initative and work well with others

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

ASCP has great leadership, is taking on new initiatives and growing in a difficult economic environment. Great potential to get involved with interesting projects, have the opportunity to be involved and and is an open culture.

Cons

you need to have a personality that can thrive in this environment. staff that don't make it at ascp are complacent, not actively engaged and wait around for things to happen. This isn't a place that tolerates whining very well.

Keep up the innovative thinking, and keep looking for employees who can thrive in the environment

Good place to gain experience...but at a price

I have been working at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1.) Experience- You will be worked hard here, but you will gain experience and exposure to great projects that will boost your resume
    2.) Awesome People- There are a lot of friendly, intelligent, bright, fun people at ASCP
    3.) Location- Center of the loop, easy commute for just about anyone
    4.) Benefits- Inexpensive but thorough portfolio of benefits
    5.) Work/Life Balance- With the exception of a few, the office clears out by 5pm, and if you have a good boss you have the flexibility to adjust your hours /work from home

Cons

1.) Lack of Direction- There isn't buy-in from employees on leadership's long and short-term plans, which causes a lot of confusion and creates apathetic employees
    2.) Workload Imbalance- The best and brightest tend to be depended on for 90% of the work, and the delegators/dead weight are left alone (the people that tend to stay at ASCP the longest).
    3.) Office Morale- There is a good amount of skeptic and negative employees (including senior staff and leadership).....being surrounded and directed by that day-in and day-out can bring even the most optimistic people down and affect workplace satisfaction

There are a lot of talented employees under ASCP's roof-- nurture them, give them exposure to new things, listen to their opinions, and mentor them to be the next crop of ASCP leaders (instead of just great candidates for other companies to scoop up). Uphold your values: Reward those who work hard and honorably, and punish those who do not.

It's not the worst company I've worked for, but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Society for Clinical Pathology full-time

Pros

It's difficult to put together a genuine list of pros. Here is my attempt:
    1) Location - The office has a convenient location in the Loop.
    2) Parties - They know how to throw down during company functions.
    3) Benefits - I probably won't come across a benefits package like theirs again.

Cons

1) Upper Management - They often ignore legitimate criticisms and don't see the potential in their own staff.
    2) Long Hours - This doesn't apply to everyone, but those who really care about the projects they're involved in seem to work 300% harder than their complacent counterparts (who outnumber them 10-to-1).
    3) No Room for Growth - There is no ladder to climb and there are hardly any opportunities to gain new skills. If professional development is important to you, I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.
    4) Compensation - This isn't really much of a con. It's a not-for-profit company, so low pay is almost an implication.

Acknowledge the issues outlined in these reviews (and no, not the fake ones you've planted).

Worked for American Society for Clinical Pathology? Contribute to the Community!