American Specialty Health
www.ashcompanies.com San Diego, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

American Specialty Health Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

George T. DeVries III

I enjoyed the work and the people, but low pay and no room for growth.

Health Coach I (Former Employee)

I worked at American Specialty Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe best thing about ASH was the people. They do a great job of hiring people that really care about the work they're doing. I loved my co-workers and my supervisor. They also did an excellent job of training health coaches and providing the right tools to do your job and do it well. Low stress work environment also.

ConsThe largest drawback was that the pay was on the lower end, and there were little to no opportunities to grow and move up in an effort to increase experience and/or pay. This made it very difficult to stay with the company - if one required a larger paycheck, they were forced to look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps more stratification of the coaching staff to allow for greater pay for those with more experience/merit.

Somewhat of a cool company to work for.

I have been working at American Specialty Health full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCool people to work with.

ConsBenefits and pay suck. Health benefits and pay have gotten worse over the past few years. In fact, there were no pay raises for about 5 years. Owner now insists on 20 hours of (fortunately on company time) training that 'helps' with the job. We now have to walk a certain number of steps each month just to get a break on our medical benefits. Yet, the owner had the gall to announce in an annual meeting that he was going to keep his multimillion dollar Rancho Santa Fe mansion and was going to buy another one by our new headquarters in Indiana. Thanks! Really - you announced that to the whole company and then turn around and shaft your staff on medical benefits?

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen...why bother!

Great way to get your foot in the healthcare industry, but lacks growth opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at American Specialty Health full-time

ProsVery professional company, and unique health benefits including onsite gym and promotion for health (vending machines, employee programs, bonus incentives) as well as overall benefits.

ConsNot enough challenge nor room for growth and departments can be capped off based on seniority. Therefore, this would be recommended for people who stay within the company for the long-term, even if that means staying in the same position for a really long time. High turn-over rate, and pay is not great (hence the lack of growth).

A great company with a great mission

San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Specialty Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA very positive work environment with creative people who are always striving to be the best at their mission: to help people live healthier lives. Who wouldn't be inspired by that? A strong company culture of teamwork and doing the right thing. Strong incentives to be healthy, with an onsite gym, workout room, and running trails nearby the San Diego office. It's nice to work for a company that has a "family" feeling to it.

ConsGenerous benefits, but not competitive in terms of pay, which can be de-motivating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing many of the exceptional things you do with employee education, good health benefits and evolving products. Consider better aligning salaries with national averages. There are many devoted employees who work very hard and deserve better wages.

Great place to work

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at American Specialty Health full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people who are willing to help you learn. Using the latest technology stacks. They use a form of Agile Development, but they don't take it to the extreme. Doesn't feel like the big company that it is. Easy to get your ideas heard.

ConsThe projects are not super exciting. Coffee sucks.

Can Be Nice to Work For, Depending on Department

I have been working at American Specialty Health

ProsUpper management seems to sincerely care about employee health and well being. The CEO is a low-key, normal guy and seems to have a great vision. Company is growing like crazy.

ConsCan have the feel of a government agency sometimes as seniority is valued over skill and knowledge to a degree. If you come up with a good idea, watch out for more senior people trying to steal the credit. Politics can also be overwhelming due to unskilled management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got a good vision. I'm sure I can't help you much there that you don't already know.

Unappreciated

Recruiter (Former Employee)

I worked at American Specialty Health full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood people and healthy rewards products were edifying. Gym on site at the San Diego location was nice.

ConsLow ball salaries with minimal yearly upgrades regardless of exceptional performance. Difficult business model in the clinical area to support and still sleep at night.

Ship might be going down, but at least it's a nice ship

Temp (Former Employee)

I worked at American Specialty Health full-time for less than a year

ProsAlways seems to be a reason for a potluck. The people are cool, the work isn't stressful and the office is nice

ConsYou can get laid off without warning, and longtime employees seemed to be constantly leaving

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something to stem the losses of business and experienced employees. Also give a heads up if you're going to lay somebody off

Good work place.

I have been working at American Specialty Health

ProsEverything looks good. a good place to work

ConsNothing so far. really satisfied.

Great Place to Work!

ProsAmazing people, great learning opportunities, promotes from within, healthy working environment, good benefits including Holidays and PTO.

ConsI have yet to expereince any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! CEO does have his hands in most all decisions which is good, but possibly be more open minded.

Worked for American Specialty Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Specialty Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Specialty Health CEO George T. DeVries III. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by American Specialty Health employees.