American Standard Brands

2.6
Steve Delarge
1 Rating

1. Poor Corporate-to-Plant communication

I have been working at American Standard Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work alongside with at my facility. I also enjoy the non-rigid work environment, as it helps develop a more self-sufficient work style. That same pro can also easily become a con.

Cons

There is little to no training provided at all levels. Each of the facilities under the AmSd umbrella should be in sync, or at least attempt to be more aligned with each other as far as process, both on the floor as well as in the office. Management and/or corporate does not see a need for system training. I can only imagine what the higher level users who pull in the data provided to the investors have to deal with. I'm certain there are massive inconsistencies in that data. The majority of which is due to zero uniformity in every realm where data is imput.

2. supervisor

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Standard Brands (More than 3 years)

Pros

it was close to home, worked morning shift, ran my own warehouse

Cons

unorganized, lack of communication, some areas need improvement

3. Same issues for a long time

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

Pros

Company is well known in plumbing. Decent benefits and salary

Cons

Too much change in direction and management. Every other year a new CEO. New ownership not focused on AS. Current CEO is placeholder so no long term decisions are made

Advice to Management

Try stability for a change. Current CEO is only temp.

5. American Standard - Safety Tubs Division

Pros

Good money, flexible schedule for In-Home sales

Cons

Management does not know their elbows from their hands. They steal their competitions managers and sales force thinking they will make a difference for this company but they make it worse. My Sales manager would give me 10 different answers to the same question when he decided to return my emails, texts and phone calls. They do not get leads and lied about how many leads I will get in order to work for them and leave my current job. Not to mention they have no installers. Great product but means nothing if I get lied to and don't get paid on.

Advice to Management

OPEN YOUR EYES! Need to completely overhaul your office with some competent people who have integrity and will not always give salesman answers that we know are BS.

Company headed in right direction due to Jay Gould, David Haines and Lixil organization

Current Employee - Operations Leader
    Current Employee - Operations Leader

I have been working at American Standard Brands full-time

Pros

Company was acquired by Lixil, a large Japanese company, which is focused on ensuring that American Standard and the rest of its brands are successful globally. In general the leadership team and key people in the organization are enthusiastic and focused on the right things.

Cons

Underinvestment in plants and people has led to critical situation in many parts of business. People are often risk averse and don't want to make waves.

Advice to Management

Keep pursuing the direction set by Jay Gould and his team. Continue integration with Lixil and make the company a global powerhouse.

7. a plaything of the new CEO....

Pros

good brand, good products that work well. strong engineering. a lot of decent people scattered about. new parent company should help.

Cons

new CEO talks of harmony and new culture, while never missing a chance to bash previous managment (time to move on), yet he has laid a number of folks off, and many of us have quit when we see his version of "collaboration". he has brought new ideas which is great, but is clearly using the company to polish his stature - as if he alone is the reason it is doing better.

Advice to Management

stop patting yourself on the back, and give more credit to others. company has lost a lot of good folks and yet have retained those who aren't that good, but can't find jobs anywhere else.

8. It's a good company to work for

I have been working at American Standard Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

a lot of days off for vacation and a good 401 k plan

Cons

there's not a lot of room for growth in the company

Advice to Management

they need to be more proactive in helping their employees reach their goals this is only done for the top management

9. Must have been a great company at some point

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at American Standard Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Chance to learn how a big company gets things done. Lots of freedom to do your own thing, up to a point.

Cons

Having to deal with how a big company gets things done. Just when you think you are going to make a big contribution, you realize the company isn't as open to change as you thought.

Advice to Management

Which management? What month are we in? Try to remember who this company was at one time, and give the customers the updated version of that.

10. I had a great time working at American Standard.

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at American Standard Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were great and met a lot of good friends. Still see most today and they are still happy there.

Cons

Hours were a bit long but I think they have reduced that issue. I also believe that they can now telework more often which eases stress.

Advice to Management

Have more fun and listen to your employees.

11. Being the largest was not a big deal, Being the best manufacturer is....

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Standard Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When I started, we had great leadership, great training opportunities and good benefits. We have a very strong product line. We were given regular feedback on performance. We had faith in our engineers, our products and our immediate management. It was a great company to work for and they have a number of growth opportunities opening.

Cons

We were owned by shareholders and they elected to sell the company. The company was divided up and sold along logical lines for the most part. In the last several years there has been a lot of turmoil.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on quality as you have. Invest in hiring, training and preparing for growth. Nobody will work harder for you than people with skin in the game.

RSS Feed </> Embed