American Standard Brands

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014
2.8

Jay Gould

Must have been a great company at some point

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at American Standard Brands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Chance to learn how a big company gets things done. Lots of freedom to do your own thing, up to a point.

Cons

Having to deal with how a big company gets things done. Just when you think you are going to make a big contribution, you realize the company isn't as open to change as you thought.

Which management? What month are we in? Try to remember who this company was at one time, and give the customers the updated version of that.

a plaything of the new CEO....

I worked at American Standard Brands

Pros

good brand, good products that work well. strong engineering. a lot of decent people scattered about. new parent company should help.

Cons

new CEO talks of harmony and new culture, while never missing a chance to bash previous managment (time to move on), yet he has laid a number of folks off, and many of us have quit when we see his version of "collaboration". he has brought new ideas which is great, but is clearly using the company to polish his stature - as if he alone is the reason it is doing better.

stop patting yourself on the back, and give more credit to others. company has lost a lot of good folks and yet have retained those who aren't that good, but can't find jobs anywhere else.

It's a good company to work for

I have been working at American Standard Brands full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

a lot of days off for vacation and a good 401 k plan

Cons

there's not a lot of room for growth in the company

they need to be more proactive in helping their employees reach their goals this is only done for the top management

I had a great time working at American Standard.

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at American Standard Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People were great and met a lot of good friends. Still see most today and they are still happy there.

Cons

Hours were a bit long but I think they have reduced that issue. I also believe that they can now telework more often which eases stress.

Have more fun and listen to your employees.

Being the largest was not a big deal, Being the best manufacturer is....

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Standard Brands full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I started, we had great leadership, great training opportunities and good benefits. We have a very strong product line. We were given regular feedback on performance. We had faith in our engineers, our products and our immediate management. It was a great company to work for and they have a number of growth opportunities opening.

Cons

We were owned by shareholders and they elected to sell the company. The company was divided up and sold along logical lines for the most part. In the last several years there has been a lot of turmoil.

Keep the focus on quality as you have. Invest in hiring, training and preparing for growth. Nobody will work harder for you than people with skin in the game.

A great learning experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nevada, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nevada, MO

I have been working at American Standard Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have learned a great deal from my time here and have become more confident in my ability to troubleshoot. American Standard Brands does offer a decent vacation policy with three weeks of paid vacation starting out.

Cons

Little to no advancement opportunities and less than competitive pay.

Care enough about your employees to treat them all equally and fairly. Pay them a reasonable wage and train them to become better than they are.

Unrelenting conference calls that are momentarily interrupted by uninformed sales staff who throw you under the bus.

I worked at American Standard Brands

Pros

Decent salaries and benefits for staff.

Cons

Excessive meetings, time wasted on internal presentations that add no value to customer needs.

Listen to your sales reps and refrain from uninformed decisions affecting the marketplace.

Great place to work if you can quit and come back. That is the only way to adjust your salary with inflation.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at American Standard Brands

Pros

Great product innovation and marketing help.

Cons

Too many leadership changes in senior management.

Promote your people from within. Do not make them move to NJ.

A Company in Distress

I worked at American Standard Brands

Pros

Easy commute if you live in Central Jersey.

Cons

Head marketing executive has no real skills and uses external vendors to do her work. This in turn makes her exhibit the appearance of feeling threatened by new hires who come in with better, more polished skills.

If you want to drive sales, look at failed leadership in marketing and sales rather than attacking general managers in the individual business units. Sales and marketing leaders should hold responsibility for failed sales and marketing programs.

American Standard review

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Nevada, MO
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Nevada, MO

I worked at American Standard Brands

Pros

I loved the people I worked with I enjoyed every day being with them.

Cons

I was flipped from one job to next and never got the chance to settle in and really feel confident of the work I performed. They were always changing things computer programs office procedures dress code. It was hard to feel that you were not doing something wrong from one day to next.

The Office Management I worked under were wonderful. Professional yet absolutely a joy to be around. I was always treated with utmost respect from my direct supervisors. I had 2 direct supervisors that had been there 38 years each they knew the place inside and out.