American Support

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.7

Matt Zemon

Pros
  • American Support is a great opportunity for those who want to work from home (in 17 reviews)

• Room for advancement is possible because American Support usually promotes within providing existing employees with advancement at American Support (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The bonus structure is a joke; the upper management is simply a joke (in 5 reviews)

• There were 30 people who started in my training class (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company that is growing

Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Holly Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Holly Hill, FL

I have been working at American Support

Pros

The company is growing and offers a lot of promotional opportunity. Also, it responds quickly to employee issues and provides a fair balance between the needs of the company and employees. I recently was recognized as a top performer at a Holiday luncheon which was attending by several Sr. Managers and the COO. It goes without saying that I was highly appreciative of being recognized and treated to a lunch with a great group of folks.

Cons

There are still some old Evergreen crazies that think that change is bad and actual think that the good old days were better. Really? Evergreen management and the folks that think they are great are druggies, cons and all around losers. Remember the good old days? If you do and think they were good, you must still be part of the con.

Please keep doing what you are doing. It is working and those that are invested in professional growth and doing the right things, want to keep it going. You folks rock and don't let the haters bother you. At the end of the day, the facts are we are growing due to our performance and are a much better company that in the "old days".

Dec 31, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Thanks for your feedback and look forward to a great 2015 with you on the team. You're right about us growing and winning more business based on performance. It's folks like you making it happen! In ... More

Do not go anywhere near this company

Former Employee - Work At Home Agent in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Work At Home Agent in Little Rock, AR

I worked at American Support

Pros

I was paid for the time that I worked.

Cons

This job was presented to me as a technical support position. I learned otherwise, shortly after starting training, but wanted to give it a try, and see how I faired. I was initially told, both during my interview and first day of training, that the training class would last about two weeks. After two hours into our virtual training, we were told that the training was reduced to one week due to "high demand for sellers".
    I certainly had some concerns about this, but once again, I wanted to give it a try. As a naturally "charismatic" person, I thought this position could have turned into something to keep me occupied until classes resumed, at the least.
    About the training: My trainer was nice, but he seemed to have such so much time to tell us about his life story, and not enough time to properly train. It also appeared, after a simple Google search, that he lied about much of the information he told us (personal and work related).
    Upon the second day of training, we were barely learning much, and focusing solely on the issues that mostly everyone was encountering with their ridiculously inadequate software, and incompetence in training. Most of my virtual classroom was comprised of individuals that held at least two years of call center experience- if that tells you much. In addition to that, we were told, after barely learning much of anything about the "television packages' we were supposed to sell, that our training was reduced to 5 days! This move made no business sense, but of course we were told "you guys can do this! We have so many people looking to purchase and upgrade their packages, that we have to put you into production early"
    Sadly, I drank the Kool-Aid on this one, but it was a short lived confidence. By the third day, still under the impression that we were going to actually learn something, we commenced our scheduled training...guess what? Due to our trainer's poor internet connection, he sounded "pixelated, static-y", and sometimes lost connection, the ENTIRE day. We were simply told to study on our own. With what, you ask? Some invisible, non existent study guide that was provided to us, unbeknownst to us, of course.
    By the next day, I knew for sure it was hopeless, and this thought was solidified when we were told "just read the script, you'll do alright."
    At that point, people started dropping like flies...some even quit via the sorry excuse for a chatroom we had set up. While some of the "speeches" about holding on were falsely hope filled, others were brutally honest: "If you stay here long enough, you may be able to be a trainer, and tell people what to do".
    After being thrown to the crocs on my first day of calling (which was actually on the fourth day of training), I was ready to throw in the towel, but I kept at it, denying my inevitable defeat.
    I was actively looking for other positions, with different companies, upon my 3rd day of training.
    During the short time (three months) I worked for American Support, I encountered horror. The demand they spoke of? NON EXISTENT! We could barely work a few hours into our shifts without being sent off the phones due to low call availability. When we did get a customer on the phone? They would scream about how they've been called 40 times in the past week, and were close to suing American Support/Comcast.
    This job, while somewhat mindless, was also pretty stressful. Not knowing if you're going to work your full schedule, not knowing if your paycheck would be enough to cover your bills due to the aforementioned issue, not knowing if and when you could be fired for not meeting the RIDICULOUS 85% sale goal, etc.
    I am honestly surprised the company is still in operation.
    But seriously, if you're going to work this job, do not count on it being a steady, lifelong career. Instead, use this job to hold you over until you get another offer...and RUN immediately as soon as you can.
    My coworkers were friendly, and sometimes I caught a very sweet, nice person on the phone that would let me know that I was smarter than what my job permitted me to be.
    There is much more, just review the other comments.

I was initially told upon hire that Windows 8 was more than compatible, but actually preferred...that turned out to be incorrect.

American Support Response Jan 12, 2015 – Executive Director of Professional Services

Current Employee - Work At Home Agent in Mountain Home, AR
    Current Employee - Work At Home Agent in Mountain Home, AR

I have been working at American Support full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You say reach out to supervisor, I have and was told my the call center manager that my training was sufficient. So the help and support is not there like you say. I wish it was because I enjoy the job but I can see in the near future I will be let go.

Cons

I can't see a future with this company and I know they have a big turnover rate. Please consider more intense training and not so much time spent on getting logins and passwords set up.

I have been a work at home agent for other companies and training was no less than 6 weeks. It makes sense that the more you train the people the better job they will do and not make as many mistakes that will get them fired.

Difficult

I have been working at American Support full-time (less than a year)

Pros

2 weeks paid training, schedule is good, although I am told it changes from week to week based on performance.

Cons

Training was only two weeks of which 6 of the days we wasted on helping people log into their email accounts, system, fix their computers, etc. What was taught in training really cannot be applied to live calls because they were just basic scenarios. You are pretty much on your own and they expect you to use 5-8 different systems to get started and no support. I'm actively looking for another job after just my first week.

Dec 30, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Sorry that your experience so far has been poor. It is not true that there is no support: I encourage you to reach out to your supervisor and your coaching team for support--you'll find there are a ... More

Work at home job with no support or real training

Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Holly Hill, FL
    Current Employee - Outbound Sales in Holly Hill, FL

I have been working at American Support full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Start quickly
    Pay & Benefits easy to understand
    Recruiting gets their job done quickly
    True work at home position

Cons

*Limited training
    *No real support
    *Lied to about hours. I was hired for particular hours was given others and told we would have management come and discuss hours. That was a lie
    *High turnover
    *Training spent a good half day discussing his personal life (upon google turned out was not even true)
    *Never trained on product...like AT ALL! A day before hitting the floor the class was told to study it on our own time. It makes selling the product pretty hard to do when you have no idea what you are selling until the day before you take calls and the content is so much there is NO WAY you can memorize it in one day.
    *Given supervisor whose only support was "Log in and follow the script you will do fine"
    *Straight telemarketing job. Advertised as "Call Center" in reality you are calling people at home and trying to get them to buy packages they dont usually want. The company we sell for has very bad customer service so most of the time customers want to yell at you about that.
    *Bonuses unclear even for seasoned agents. Told we would make around $250 min every other weekend in bonus but only $2.50 is given per package sold, and you are lucky to sell 1 a day. They expect a 85% close rate. No way to make that. Top sellers only had 60 or so per month
    *Trainer showed basic information no real complete training on closing calls or tech issues. I guess he didnt see the point since 25 class members quick before completing the first week of work (out of 30)
    *You are told to have the computer ready to go and headphones. Around half the class did not. Instead of being let go as we were told we would be by HR, the trainer spent THREE days fixing their computers. 3 days of the 6 we were trained down the drain.

*Expand training. I am a seasoned call center agent and have never seen such incompetent training. One week is not enough when you spent 3 days on trainees who cant follow simple directions on getting their systems ready for training.
    *Stop talking about your personal life in training. It is unprofessional.
    *HR needs to also be honest and tell us what the hours are, and not just tell us whatever we want to hear to get us on board to reach their quotas.
    *Fire all supervisors. They are useless and can care less about the employees. It felt like they were there just to corral agents, not train or support
    *Tell the truth. This is a burn center, not a call center

Dec 15, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Sorry you've had such a negative experience. As a "seasoned call center agent" you know that call center schedules change to meet the needs, and outbound sales ... More

Not the most organized

I worked at American Support full-time

Pros

Not a bad experience just not one of my best

Cons

Not the most organized, things got shuffled around a lot and not a lot of great communication

Dec 9, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Thanks for your post. We have had a year of tremendous growth, and with that growth there are indeed a lot of "things getting shuffled around." We are driven by client needs and those needs change ... More

Minimal training and no appreciation for hard-working employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Holly Hill, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Holly Hill, FL

I worked at American Support full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers will warn new recruits of the high turn-over and share various reasons why this company can't keep good workers

Cons

Unfair and unethical business practices - They will not honor your full-time pay commitment by forcing you to "clock out" and go home early (unpaid) when their operating systems crash - which happens on a regular basis.

Learn how to speak to your employees with encouraging, motivating & appreciative words; and remember that to support unethical business practices is a reflection of your own (personal) character.

Dec 15, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Sorry you had a bad experience. As a small company, we cannot pay agents who cannot perform their job. We only get paid by our clients for the time you actually work on their behalf, so it is in our ... More

Unethical Company

I worked at American Support

Pros

Company offers a work at home program which is great! It gives so many people the opportunity to work from home. Schedules are ok and have an ok balance between work at time at home.

Cons

Training isnt long enough from the get go its only 2 weeks long. Its so much that you have to learn and I believe thats not a sutible amount of time. After 90 days many employees get a 1.00 raise. I accomplished my 90 days and no one gave me the raise that was promised. I actually had to inform management about it 2 months down the line and finally they put it on there after it was brought to their attention. So they pretty much forgot about that. They fire pretty much everyone that comes in. They are unethical and don't care to pay you what you are supposed to be paid.

Care about your employees more and actually be there when work at home associates have a problem. If we reach out to you about a question that's very important please don't take 4 days to get back with us. I know many managers work from home there but put a little effort forwr

Dec 15, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Sorry you had a bad experience. We feel two weeks of training is adequate if the trainee is an engaged active learner. We're always working to improve training as well. I would like to clarify a ... More

Turn around

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at American Support full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay and the agents that's it

Cons

Everything else upper management favoritism

Get rid of the higher management

Dec 15, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Sorry you had a bad experience. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Awsome work environment

Former Employee - Work At Home Agent

I worked at American Support full-time (less than a year)

Pros

very friendly and helpful management, really work with you and awsome training

Cons

the only complaint was i was hired for a position not using phones and it turned into having to be on phones.

Dec 9, 2014Executive Director of Professional Services

Thanks for your time with us, and thanks for being flexible in job roles assigned. Our clients drive our business model, and making phone calls and taking phone calls is the biggest part of our ... More