American Suzuki Motor Reviews

Updated June 12, 2014
Updated June 12, 2014

1.9

Kinji Saito

Loved it there a great job and a great supervisor

Former Employee - picker, packer, shipper  in  Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - picker, packer, shipper in Marietta, GA

I worked at American Suzuki Motor as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The work pace and it was an awesome job and great people to work around

Cons

No challenges really other than the fact employees got mad because my picking numbers were better than theirs

None management was fine

Don't expect to have any real say in how things are run...

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Brea, CA

I have been working at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good (local, U.S.) people to work with that, for the most part, work hard. Mostly for below-average pay...why, I don't know.

Cons

Numerous...the executives do NOT want to hear any input from the natives and this place is absolutely run by the executives at the mother ship in Japan. Low pay, average to below benefits, very little upward movement future.

It's no use...the company is run by an ancient dictator in Japan. No one cares or will listen.

I was an employee who was around when Suzuki layed off their IT staff.

I worked at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly decent benefits and salary was fairly decent.

Cons

Japanese managers don't listen to their American employees.

Listen to employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used by company and thrown away

Former Employee - District Operations Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - District Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the other people

Cons

Pay. Workload. Business values. Very poor regional management

A Place Where the Employees Pay the Price for Poor Management

Former Employee - Sales Order Coordinator  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Order Coordinator in Brea, CA

I worked at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best thing about Suzuki was the employees themselves. Made a lot of good friends and future connections. Benefits were okay, but they used to be better. A decent place to work if you like Motorcycles and ATVs.

Cons

The Japanese management ran it into the ground. There was no focus, no plan to speak of other than to not lose money. Most managers (American) worked in fear of losing their job. Major amounts of layoffs occured before and during their Chapter 11 filing. No matter how hard you worked or how loyal you were, the threat of losing your job was an everyday feeling. No raises since 2008 for anyone, per the Japanese. They have no clue how to run business in America and it showed big time. No marketing of product. No nothing but cost cutting. Always looking to pass blame no matter what or who was the real problem. Best thing they ever did was shutter their Auto line (a line no one knew about I might add!) It's just too bad. They do make a wonderful product. But they (Japanese) have no clue how to sell it.

The grass is greener with many other companies. If you work there now, leave! Find a place where you are respected and appreciated for doing your job. If looking to find work here, do not let the fancy new title of Suzuki Motors of America, Inc. fool you. It is still run by the same people, just a lot less of them. I have never been so relieved to leave a job in my entire life! Felt like I was wasting away there.

My advice would be to leave the United States entirely, but they do make wonderful motorcycles, atvs, and marine products. Just too bad that now, those products will more than likely end up like the auto products did in a few years. I wish the good employees who are still stuck there good luck!

Good experience, but poor senior management

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You do it all, which means your knowledge can increase rapidly if you embrace it. If you can hit your goals here you can hit them anywhere.

Cons

No direction from senior leaders and no plan. American management was always left in the dark. No raises in five plus years. No support from the top.

Get in or get out. If they want to succeed they must take direction my American team.

Not good

Former Employee - Average Flunky  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Average Flunky in Brea, CA

I worked at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers were great...a real community. That's about it.

Cons

Japanese management does not listen to non-Japanese staff, and makes decisions with no regard to the consequences, which sends everyone scrambling. No side chairs allowed at desks! No filing cabinets allowed! What??

Get your heads out of your butts.

Executive management style too old world Japanese for the US market

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Brea, CA

I worked at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Loyalty of colleagues and familial work environment makes for a unpressured work routine. Working conditions are tolerable and benefits are somewhat attractive.

Cons

Stifling, paternalistic approach to senior management. Suzuki does little to nurture employee aspirations, develop the employees skills, and tap employee creativity. Compensation reflects management apathy. Senior management's attitude can be summarized as follows, "Do what you're told, and don't bite the hand that feeds you!"

Learn from other comparable companies operating successfully in the US including some Japanese companies like Subaru and Honda

Where industry career people go to die

I have been working at American Suzuki Motor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits and good people to be around. Lots of untapped talent that other companies/competitors could benefit from for sure.

Cons

Lack of any direction, especially by management and Japanese. More interested in cost cutting than actual promotion of any of their products. Treats non-management employees like cattle. Ideas that may be benificial are quickly snubbed. Wall Street 24/7 produced an article about 10 brands that would be gone in 2013...Suzuki was #6 on the list. Left a fantastic job on the promise of a better future and bright career. I have regretted that decision for years now. No one in the time I have been here has received a pay raise of any sort, unless they are promoted to a position vacated by someone who left for a brighter career path. Very sad.

How about advertising and marketing your products? No one I speak to realizes that Suzuki does in fact make cars! They still ask me about the Samurai! Treat your workers with some respect and reward them for hard work through these very tough times. If that cannot be done, save us all the trouble and anguish and return to Japan.

American Suzuki was a good company to work for.

Former Employee - District Operations Manager  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - District Operations Manager in Brea, CA

I worked at American Suzuki Motor

Pros

The company paid within the market value and the benefits were fair. Excellent product.

Cons

The company has not recovered fully from the industry crash of 2008.

Tell the public about the product. It is extremely good and well worth the look.

Worked for American Suzuki Motor? Contribute to the Community!