American Systems

William C. Hoover

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Short, but great experience

Latent Print Technician (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsGood hours, great experience, great benefits, management was quick to let us know about details affecting our employment

ConsThe contract I was working on was shorter than advertised due to outside source error

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for letting us know as soon as possible about our contract. Not your fault the math was wrong.

It was a job

Field Installer (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsPay checks on time
    Flexible hours

ConsThe 'good ol boy club" company. Our contract ended and management did nothing whatsoever to try and help to place us elsewhere in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to negotiate government contracts

Contractor

Senior Forensic Scientist (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsManagement cares. Employee owned. Senior management has been around for years.

ConsContract work is always volitile with no guarantees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur contract ended well ahead of schedule and management did an excellent job with helping us prepare for the future despite the circumstances. My recommendation would be to continue to do that for all contracts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Forensic Contractor

Latent Print Technician (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsThey give you experience when you are fresh out of college.

ConsThe pay they give is below the national average and especially low for northern Virginia. The business of contracting means that you can lose government work in a blink of an eye. American systems did a terrible job of keeping us informed and kept saying that all the "losing our job" talk was rumors. 2 months later we all learn we are losing our jobs. They exchange cheap salary for people to get their foot in the door into forensics

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest. If you did not know that our work was running low then step up and ask the client what our status is.

Steady, dependable organization, employee owned, debt free

Director (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsFlexible work environment, lack of micro managing from supervisor. The ESOP provides 9% of additional retirement income each year. Bonus program for execs is very generous. Very competitive pay. CEO is approachable and friendly and genuinely engaged. Great PTO package with 9 floating holidays to use at your discretion.

ConsSenior leaders have been with the company for 20-30 years leaving lots of reluctance for change. Although the company is very steady and dependable, we haven't experienced significant organic growth in years. Apathy is the company's biggest weakness. Benefits are extremely expensive and PPO plan being phased out.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication to middle management is improving. However, middle management lacks people skills and often does not communicate to staff. Middle managers need to be held accountable for inability to manage rather than being allowed to stay in their positions simply because they have a certification, a relationship with a customer, or tenure.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Human Resources Professional

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsHigh impact assignments, outstanding coworkers, mission focused and employee ownership benefits

ConsAs your career progresses, your workspace becomes larger but you lose access to windows in your office assignment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts really great that employees have easy access to the Management team to pass along ideas and suggestions which often become actions within the company -- keep this up.

Great employee-owned company on the right track

Director (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsEmployee Stock Ownership Plan AND a 401(k) Plan, Good benefits, experienced management team that combines stability with an entrepreneurial spirit. Company seems to be focused in the right areas to continue growing.

ConsCompany has high expectations from its workforce, but I'm not sure that qualifies as a negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. You made a great acquisition in 2012, don't slow down!

C Suite Execs are not the friendliest bunch. Horrible raises and bonus program.

Accounting Department (Current Employee) Chantilly, VA

Prosfamily friendly to a certain degree with good work/life balance. depending on what department you work for little to no growth opportunity. accounting department heads SUCK. HR department heads SUCK.

Conscrappy raises and bonuses not determined by anything other than who they like and who they don't. doesn't matter if you work hard or not.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of most of the functional VPs and start over.

Good company to work for hope to get back on with them again soon.

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA

ProsGood people OT available employee owned

ConsFederal Clients contacts funding's get cut

Advice to Senior Managementkeep growing the business

Good place for complacency

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA

Pros- Good place for complacency and get paid decent for it!
    - Good place to learn "what not to do" in the professional work force
    - Good place to learn what bad management is all about
    - Depending on which office/site you work at, you may land in a good group. The management in that group will take into account your needs for career growth and will try to motivate you with awards and incentives rather than fear.
    - I would recommend this company to a friend. If that friend is just looking for a paycheck and a job to pass the day.

Cons- Good, motivated employees usually leave within 2 years.
    - Lack of opportunity for growth. Get pigeon-holed.
    - Unprofessional HR Department.
    - Again I can't lump all management together, but many of the upper management are unmotivated, and have outdated thinking.
    - Get stuck in the mentality of "that's how we do things".
    - A revolving door company. Very focused on just the bottom line - everyone is expendable.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't kill new ideas and enthusiasm by saying "that's not how we do things".
    Realize and recognize your top performers. (before they leave)
    Let go of the non-performers, bad-performers, and toxic-performers. They are only discouraging the good employees, and pushing them out of the door faster.

Worked for American Systems? Contribute to the Community!